• Published 26th Dec 2023
  • 208 Views, 20 Comments

Friendship is Failure #27- Love is a Danger Zone - DakariKingMykan



Twilight and Cadance accidently unleash a love-destroying evil upon Equestria.

  • ...
28
 20
 208

Act 1: Love is in the Song

ACT ONE

His name was Strings, a red Pegasus pony with a short yellow mane, and a cutie mark representing musical notes on a staff.

His most interesting feature was a white scarf he wore, that could sometimes flutter without any means of a breeze or support-- like Celestia’s mane.

He was repped to be the finest music artist in all Equestria, especially for his wonderful singing voice.

For years he traveled the land, performing concerts and shows, sometimes for his fans, other times for charity.

This week, he was in Ponyville, as he was invited by Princess Twilight Sparkle. She had organized a concert to raise money for charity to help feed the poor and the homeless ponies.

The concert went off without a hitch, and so many ponies in all of town were ever so excited, especially Twilight’s friends.

“Oh, isn’t he handsome!” Rarity swooned.

“I especially love his soft songs.” said Fluttershy.

“Nah, his rock songs are what I dig.”

Pinkie Pie didn’t mind any kind of song, as she was shown waving a Strings flag and wearing a Strings cap. “Encore! Encore!” she kept calling.

Applejack was selling popcorn and other snacks in the crowds. This way, she could hear the concert for free, but she made sure to give a little donation to the charity as well. “Never get something for nothing. That’s what Granny Smith always says.”

Twilight, being the organizer, was permitted to watch the concert from backstage, and Spike was with her.

Twilight was more distracted looking out into the crowd than paying attention to the concert or the donations.

“Come on, Twilight,” said Spike. “You know she’s out there.”

Twilight kept on looking. “I just wish I could’ve been there to meet her at the train-station, but I had to oversee the concert.”

Suddenly, she saw whom she was looking for-- Princess Cadance, her sister-in-law.

Twilight couldn’t wave to her though as she had to remain offstage, but she felt relieved now.

Strings took a soft bow, but Twilight seemed to notice a half smile.

Then Strings looked up over the crowds, and he spotted Cadance in the crowd, which made him nearly gasp!

His eyes met with hers, and she gave him a friendly wave and smile.

Strings cringed softly, which Twilight noticed, but no pony else did.

String stood up tall and proud and thanked the crowd. “Your support is most appreciated, and now to collude this concert…” he paused and looked out the corner of his eye at Cadnace, “…I’d like to perform a very special song that was inspired to me a very long time ago, but a special pony in the audience.

…I will not disclose who that is.”

The crowds began to wonder who that pony could possibly be.


Twilight grabbed Spike’s clipboard so suddenly. “That’s not in the schedule. He was supposed to sing a different song.”

Spike leapt up and covered her mouth to stop her from shouting too loud.


Strings went on explaining. “We all have our own special gifts; like magic that helps us become what we are today. How or why, we have it is a mystery, but when harnessed and used in the right way… it can lead to wonders beyond wonder.”


Cadance’s eyes widened.


The song started: “The Mystery of your Gift.”

[

It started out soft, but very moving, and Strings sang it so beautifully, he moved some ponies to tears. The crowds really got shouting and cheering as he really let his voice ring out further in.

Mares went wild like giddy school-ponies. Even Twilight’s friends were cheering excitedly, and Rarity felt faint from the wonders.

Some even called out to Strings shouting, “We love you!” or “Please go out with me!”

Strings took no notice, he seemed more lost in the magic of his own singing himself, but none as magically as Cadance, or even Twilight.

“Wow! What a song?” muttered Spike. Twilight nodded in agreement.

The song went soft at the end again, and Strings’s voice was still so moving and captivating, that when the song finally ended, the audience cheered the loudest they had ever cheered all night.

Pinkie even blew a Strings novelty horn that shot confetti out of it.


The confetti landed on a pony in the crowd-- a bright yellow Unicorn mare. She had a long and curly brown mane, and her Cutie Mark was that of a daisy with a shining sun above it. She took no notice, as she was staring at Strings more deeply than any pony in the audience. She even let out a soft and heavenly sigh.


Strings took one final bow, while trying to hide the cringing he was doing as pain seemed to strike through him.

Only Twilight seemed to notice, and so did the Unicorn in the crowd, which made her loving smile fade into an annoyed expression.

Strings then bid the audience good night and headed off stage, going past Twilight on the way.

As he passed her, Twilight could almost feel something negative in the air-- like a kind of dark, despairing force.

“Twilight!” Spike called to her, and then he motioned to the stage. She was supposed to address the crowds herself now!

Twilight snapped herself to and took the stage.

“Thank you, every pony for coming out here tonight. We have raised a lot of money for the charity, which also shows how strong the power of friendship and sharing can be.

Perhaps there will be another concert in future, and don’t forget to visit the gift stands on the way out, which also feature…” she paused to tease the crowds a bit, and then she magically levitated up, “…Pictures of Strings, and personally autographed by him.”

While the crowd did cheer to hear such a thing, many of them felt a little disappointed and confused.

“Why doesn’t he sign them in person?”

“I wanted to meet him face-to-face.”

“He’s probably tired. I’d be after a performance like that.”


Rainbow felt disappointed. “I was hoping Strings would sign my cap so I could show it to the Wonderbolts.”

Rarity was especially disappointed; her T-shirt, records, figurines, and all kinds of unusual Strings Merchandise would remain unsigned.

“I wouldn’t worry about it none.” said Fluttershy. “Remember, Twilight’s letting us have a special meeting with Strings backstage. We’re VIPs here.”

Pinkie chuckled. “Helps when you’re the best and closest friends of Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

Applejack quickly hushed her. “Pinkie! If every pony here got special treatment, then they’ll all want it. Twilight can’t handle all that pressure.”

Pinke smiled sheepishly.


As the group headed off, the Unicorn mare didn’t bother going to the stands for any souvenirs or autographs, and merely walked off into the night, still looking disappointed-- even a little crushed.

“This is my last chance.” she said to herself. “If tonight’s plan doesn’t work, I’m going to try something drastic.”

Before long, all the ponies were gathered backstage, in Strings personal dressing room. He had just signed the last of Rarity’s merchandise, which made her feel like she was glowing, and she was-- she quite literally was floating in the air without any means of magic or levitation.

“Thank you so much, Strings.” Fluttershy said politely.

Strings gave her a smile. “It’s my pleasure.”


Twilight then whispered something to Spike. He nodded and headed outside.

Twilight cleared her throat, “Pardon me, Strings, but I actually invited one more special fan backstage, as a special surprise for you.”

“Huh?” said Strings.

The friends all giggled too, and then, she entered through the door, much to Strings shock.

“P-P-Princess Cadance?”

“Hello, Strings…” she said sweetly to him. “It’s been a long time, hasn’t it, old friend.”

Strings’ insides were shaking with nervousness, and pain, and he did his best to suppress them as he approached her.

“Yes… it has been.”

He reached tenderly to kiss her hoof, but Cadance had other ideas. “You don’t have to be formal with me. Come here, you…” and she hugged him warmly.

Strings felt like he was going to explode, and he barely managed to keep this from surfacing where everyone could see it, but he managed to hug her back.

“So warm…!” he thought painfully. “So amazingly, horribly warm!”

“Aww…!” the friends all cooed, but Cadance could sense a little tension in her friend.

“Are you okay?” she asked as she let go of him.

Strings found himself stuttering a little, trying to find words. “…I’m just… well, I… I didn’t expect to see you here.”

Cadance explained, “When Twilight told me of the concert, I hopped on the first train to Ponyville. I haven’t seen you in so long.”

Strings didn’t know what to say about that.

“I still can’t believe it.” said Rarity. “You and Strings were really friends?”

“Well, sort of…” replied Cadance. “I used to tutor at Canterlot Palace while studying to be a Princess, and one of my favorite subjects was the art of Love and how it can be expressed.”

She decided to stop there, not wanting to share too much personal information with Strings present. “Sorry, I got carried away.”

“It’s okay.” String peeped in a soft tone.

Yet as he looked up at her, he began to hallucinate, seeing her glowing amidst a heavenly sky with golden rays illuminating her, and her mane flowing in the wind.

“Stop it!” his inner voice said, making the fantasy cease immediately. “You’ve got to snap out of it!”

“Strings?” Cadance asked. “Are you okay?”

Strings realized where he was and then he faked a yawn to cover. “I’m just feeling a little tired from after the show. You know how it is.”

“I see…” replied Cadance. “Well, it was great to see you again, and… I’m in town for the weekend. Maybe you and I could catch up?”

“Yeah,” agreed Twilight. “You could stay at the Rainbow Castle. It’d be great to get to know you better.”

“Uh… No…!” he very nearly yelled in panic, shocking everyone with his sudden attitude. “I mean… No, that’s very kind, but I’m afraid I have lots to do tomorrow. I’m leaving for another gig.”

Applejack began to sense a little dishonesty or desperation in his voice.

Twilight sensed it as well.

“Um… okay, we understand.” she replied. “We’ll just be going now.”

Everyone said their goodbyes, and Cadance gave Strings another hug. “It was great to see you again.”

“Yeah… um… you too.”

“Just so you know.” she said leaning in. “I’m very proud of you. You’re one of the greatest and sweetest ponies I know with a real gift. You should continue to share it.”

She gave him a small peck on his cheek, which made him go stiff as a board, but she didn’t notice as she left, closing the door behind her, and leaving him alone in his dressing room.

Strings suddenly fell over backwards, landing on the floor with a thud.

He clasped his hoof to his cheek where Cadance had kissed it, and tears began to seep from his eyes, but he held in his sobs very painfully so no one would hear him.

Before long, he was at an all-night bar in Ponyville, and because of his celebrity status, he was able to request a private booth where he could sit by himself and have no one disturb him.

The house respected his wishes.

Strings was really feeling depressed, and deeply wished to drown his obvious sorrows… on apple cider-- alcohol was forbidden in all Equestria, by order of Celestia.

He spent a long time rubbing his cheek where Cadance had pecked him while miserably contemplating. “Why did she have to show up?”

He was served another cider by the waitress. She practically slammed it down in front of him, surprising him.

“Hey!” he snapped, but then he looked up and saw who it was-- the same Unicorn Mare from the concert.

“…Sun Rae. What are you doing here?”

Sun pointed at her uniform and nametag. “…I just thought I’d travel. You know, settle down someplace, work in a job…” she paused a moment, not trying to sound emotional, “…All because some pony broke my heart a couple of years ago.”

Strings sighed. “I know where this is going, Sun, and we’ve been over this…”

Sun shook her head in disbelief, “Why, Strings? Why can’t you just let go of her? Why can’t you just move on?”

Strings looked up at her with a very disappointed look. “…Go on and say it. “Why can’t I love you?”

He took the words right out of her mouth.

He shook his head at her. “I’m sorry, Sun…” was all could say to her, and nothing else.

Sun resisted every urge to slap him across the face, or scream in frustration, and she left him to go back to her duties, serving more drinks.

All the while, she thought to herself, “You need professional help, Strings, and I know just the pony to give it to you.

I will make you love you me, and I will make you forget about her.”

As for Strings, all he could do was sing a heartbreaking song in his mind: “Haunt You Every Day.”