• Published 29th Dec 2023
  • 465 Views, 94 Comments

The Final Game of the Season - Admiral Biscuit



Sunset and Kerfuffle were the best combo on the volleyball court that Canterlot High had ever seen . . . until the accident took Kerfuffle's leg.

  • ...
0
 94
 465

Lunch

The Final Game of the Season
Admiral Biscuit

It was impossible to not notice as High Winds led Kerfuffle to her seat, as she steadied Kerfuffle and leaned her crutches up, as she set her lunch on the table and opened the bag—as if she needed help with that; her hands were fine. It was just her leg that was gone.

Well, not entirely gone; it was currently tucked into her locker. Kerfuffle was still healing and apparently couldn’t wear her prosthetic all day long.

Just a play for sympathy. Even if she couldn’t use her leg all day, why not wait until after lunch to take it off? Or why not keep it strapped on and just use her crutches all the time? Or whenever she needed to take some weight off it? A leg filling out her jeans was less conspicuous than no leg.

Or should have been: Kerfuffle was a burgeoning fashionista, or at least a skilled seamstress. Sunset had noticed conversations between her and Rarity, and now she had a whole collection of pants with a zipper up the inseam of one leg and around the knee—

She doesn’t have to make it so obvious all the time. Like a damsel in distress, one of the worst tropes in fiction. Ever since she’d come back, she’d been one of the most popular girls in school; everybody was constantly doing things for her, and she had a ready-made excuse for being late, for needing to leave class early–Sunset couldn’t help but feel jealous, and she hated herself for it.

Sunset turned her attention back to her lunch, or lack thereof. There was still time to get in the hot food line; she could buy a piece of pizza that would require two or three napkins to blot the grease off of. Or if that wasn’t worth the try, mac and cheese that had been the subject of several culinary crimes, or even take her chances at a carton of malk which may or may not have expired in the current semester.

“Hey, mind if I sit here?”

Sunset jerked her head up, gave him a non-committal reply—really, more of a grunt—and then returned to her attempt to tune out the cafeteria, the casual conversation, the noisy normal that was anything but. It could never be normal again; it had all gone wrong one night on the way home from a volleyball game and wouldn’t it be better if Kerfuffle had never come back, if she’d—

No.

Sunset couldn’t think that. Even if the weight of her guilt was nearly too heavy to bear, she could carry it. She would carry it, she had no choice. What else was there to do?

“You know,” her tablemate offered, entirely unprompted. “You’d be a lot cuter if you smiled more.”

“And you’d look a lot better with a fork stuck in your eye,” Sunset muttered in reply. “And yet here we are.”

To her complete lack of surprise, her former tablemate muttered something unprintable under his breath, and then gathered up his lunch tray and departed for greener pastures.