• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 3,315 Views, 99 Comments

Anno Equestria: A Brief History of the Pony Nation - Insert Pen Name

  • ...
3
 99
 3,315

*Author's Foreword*

Anno Equestria
A Brief History of the Pony Nation
A FiM fic by (Insert Pen Name)

Author's Foreword

This is a personal pony project that I have been tinkering with for many months, and has now reached a point where I feel confident enough to share it with you all. Anno Equestria is my attempt to write a complete and impartial chronicle of pony history, combining (in the usual fashion of fan-fiction) my own conjecture with canonical information from the show. This being said, some points must be made:

First, this writ is concerned solely with the history of Equestria (hence the name). It will not therefore contain any major content that precedes the events described in Hearth's Warming Eve, nor will it attempt to establish any form of pony creation myth.

Second, I have sought to represent pony history as realistically as possible. This isn't a sweeping epic, or a secret history of the alicorns, or anything like that. What I have written amounts to a series of plausible events, figures, places, causes, and effects that would all fit with the modern Equestria we know and love. In other words, unless you're a genuine history buff, most of it will likely be pretty boring (though feel free to prove me wrong!) Consider yourself warned.

Third, while I have used information from the show wherever applicable, much of this "document" is based on my own conjecture (aka head-canon). So, out of respect for the source material, any entries that do not derive directly from the show will be marked with an asterisk (think fictional wars, et cetera).

Fourth, a note on dates and race names. I have reckoned the Equestrian timeline as being analogous, but not parallel, to our own. In other words, our 2012 is their 2012, with Hearth's Warming Eve serving as year 1. BCE (Before Common Era) becomes PE (Pre-Equestria), and CE (Common Era) becomes AE (Anno Equestria). Given that Hearth's Warming Eve is essentially pony Christmas (both would mark the turn of an era), I daresay this is not an unreasonable way of looking at it. Race names are capitalised when they refer to a tribal/political identity, and left un-captialised when they merely identify race. For example, Princess Platinum was a unicorn, but was leader of the Unicorns.

Fifth, I am fully aware that the phrase "Anno Equestria" is not proper Latin.

Lastly, I fully acknowledge that this is all very much my own view, and it will likely run opposite to the views of many readers. I ask only that you judge my work on its own terms and merits, and not on whether or not you agree with the content (save that for the shipping).

Now that I'm done ranting, please enjoy Anno Equestria: A Brief History of the Pony Nation.