• Published 8th Mar 2024
  • 692 Views, 37 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 6) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion and Pony Guard continue to keep the peace as they try to fight off Scar's continuing attempts to take over the Pride Lands and Equestria along with learning and teaching new friendship lessons along the way

  • ...
0
 37
 692

Episode 9: Newbie Dash and Ono

Episode 9:

Newbie Dash and Ono

On a nice Spring day in Ponyville, many ponies and spectators all gathered at the stadium since it’s that time of the year. A Wonderbolts show where nearly everyone, ponies and non-ponies alike, all filling up the seats in attendance all eagerly waiting for the show to start.

But the ones in attendance that are the most excited are a certain group of friends, a certain seven fully grown mares (with one being an alicorn), a baby dragon, three school aged fillies accompanied by their respective family members, two young lion cub, a honey badger, cheetah, hippo, along with a little ostrich, elephant, baboon, zebra, and mongoose. All with front row seats because today is the day their friends Rainbow Dash and Ono are both slated to make their grand debut as the newest members of the Wonderbolts, with the latter being the first non-pony member to ever partake in a Wonderbolts show. Something that everyone had been getting everyone excited and talking about it in the days leading up to today.

Starlight among the huge group of close friends sat next to her teacher, Twilight, her teacher, all while feeling quite nervous herself. To her it’s her first Wonderbolts show, and the first big social event she’s attending since becoming Twilight's student. "Wow! I can’t believe all of these ponies and Pride Landers all came here today to see the Wonderbolts in action.”

“Well it is a very special performance given that two of our friends will be making their first Wonderbolt appearances today.” Upon seeing that Starlight is still uncomfortable being here even when after explained why, she placed a comforting hoof on her back. “I know this is hard but you have nothing to worry about.” She assured. “Besides, Rainbow and Ono both really wanted you to be here and you really needed to go out some more. And by coming here today it’ll also us to continue on our lessons after a little breather from what happened the other night.”

“Don’t remind me. And yes it is actually a nice change of pace, and since it is for someone who has been willing to befriend me right away, I really can’t say no here.” She then took a glance at the stands where the Pride Landers are sitting which made her cringe in discomfort as she quickly looked away. “I guess my only really concern is I just never expected that so many Pride Landers would be here too.” She could never forget the scowls she received from those who still harbor resentment and distrust towards her with a half and half case of those who don’t trust her.

“You’ll be fine, Starlight. Just pay no attention to them and keep proving yourself worthy while on patrol like you did in the previous ones and pretty soon they’ll forget all about what you did.” To make sure she can take it to heart she then moved to continue with this. “Coming from a pony who knows exactly who’s experienced the same thing you’re going through, you’re doing well so far.”

Starlight smiled now getting the message. “Thanks.”

Bunga then jumped from his seat along with Spike and Pinkie. “Well, since there is still some time, I’ll think we go and get us some snacks for the show.”

“Great idea, Bunga!” Pinkie said as she jumped from her seat. “And with the very short lines, now is a better time than later.”

“No arguing with that.” Spike also agreed while hoping on Pinkie’s back and briefly clutching his stomach. “Boy, am I hungry already.”

“Better hurry back, Little B!” Beshte called after them when they went off to do so.

“We’ll try!”

“You can count on that!”

Both Bunga and Spike called after him while heading on over there.

Shortly after Pinkie Pie, Bunga and Spike had left to get snacks, a booming voice announced through the stadium loudspeakers: "Mare and gentlestallions, colts and fillies of all ages! Look to the skies and prepare to be awestruck by the incredible flying prowess of... the Wonderbolts!" Right then and there, and the elite flyers came soaring in. Everyone cheered, as they watched the Wonderbolts start their impressive feats of aerial acrobatics, some even recognizing Spitfire, Soarin, and Fleetfoot. With even bigger applause coming for the certain rainbow maned and tailed member of the group along with the small white egret with the orange feathers.

"I sure hope Pinkie Pie, Bunga, and Spike are done getting their snacks, or they're gonna miss Rainbow Dash's big debut!" Fluttershy said to her friends.

"Oh, don't worry, Fluttershy. Nothing would keep Pinkie Pie from missing this!" Rarity reassured her friend.

"Yeah, I'm sure they’re on their way back right now.” Kion chimed in before remembering the pink pony’s sweet tooth. “Unless of course they have her favorite snack, cotton candy."

No sooner than he said that, Pinkie, Bunga, and Spike are indeed on their way back to the stands. The hold-up itself turned out to be indeed due to Pinkie’s request.

"About time." Pinkie slightly scoffed, as she used her tail to hold a gigantic serving of pink cotton candy.

“I know right! I can’t believe they actually had blue cotton candy in light of today’s special occasion.” Bunga said feeling like it’s no big deal even though he just ordered an equally large serving of blue cotton candy.

“Yeah, who would have guessed.” Spike remarked while munching on his popcorn while riding on Pinkie’s back. “And it seems we were timed it just perfectly.”

“You sure have because they have just started flying in action.” Fuli returned while unable to stop shaking her head and giggle slightly at the sight of the amusing large servings of cotton candy both Pinkie and Bunga got. “And if I may…” She asked while whipped up a cone herself.

“Go for it!” Pinkie and Bunga both encouraged as the cheetah fixed herself a single serving of cotton candy combining both colors to create a purple colored cotton candy before they all resumed watching the show together where they all got to witness Rainbow Dash and Ono in action. And from the moves and tricks they’ve performed in perfect sync and separately they sure are putting on a show for their debut appearances.

“Wow! Look at them! They’re doing great!” Kion remarked in amazement.

“I know!” Fuli agreed feeling that if she could fly she could be out performing the same feats her flying friends are doing.

“That’s amazing!” Twilight also remarked feeling amazed herself.

"No kidding!" Kyoga remarked in full agreement as she watched on feeling very impressed herself.

“Poa!”

“Un-Bunga-veilable!”

Both Beshte and Bunga also said feeling very equally impressed and in awe like everyone else in the audience.

The Wonderbolts zipped back up into the sky and moved to spread out so that they would fly side by side. This routine would end when, on cue from the captain (Spitfire) the new Wonderbolt would break off, perform some tricks of her own, and rejoin the group, at which point the announcer would make public said Wonderbolt's name.

However, just when Rainbow Dash and Ono were getting into position and awaiting their signal from Spitfire, her eyes widened in horror. Somehow, a storm cloud had found its way into the stadium airspace, and it was directly in Rainbow and Ono's path. And it was coming in fast to the point nobody not even the Wonderbolts saw it coming, expect for Ono who was quick to stop himself from following Rainbow Dash before taking off.

“Hapana! Rainbow Dash! Look out for that cloud!”

Unfortunately, the warning came too late as Rainbow Dash was unable to stop herself when the cloud came her way at the last possible second. She ended up flying right into the storm cloud, letting out a yelp as she winds up etting electrocuted by it. Then with a loud zap, she was shot out of the cloud and flung into a nearby tree. The tree ended up being strong enough to fling the Pegasus back into the air, dislodging some leaves in the process. Rainbow tried to regain control, but between the impact she just suffered along with the heavy wet leaves stuck on her suit, she was still going down a downhill spiral.

“I got you, Rainbow Dash!” Ono quickly flew down over to her as fast as his wings can carry him. Even though he didn’t have the same speed Rainbow has, he was just close enough by he could reach down and grab onto the falling pony just before she could hit the ground. But then suddenly, lighting from the same storm cloud zapped him to the point he lost consciousness and being burned to a near crisp. “Is it hot in here, or what?” He uttered before passing out.

The audience suddenly gasped as they leaped from their seats, anxiously watching on to see if both the new fliers are okay and not critically injured. The Wonderbolts along with her closest friends from the Lion and Pony Guard along with their young companions were quick to rush on over to her just when medics and couple ambulances also arrived on the scene to tend to their injuries. As what was supposed to be one of the greatest shows in Wonderbolts history came crashing down to a sudden stop with Scootaloo the most devastated of all ponies gathered.

At the same Spitfire is looking on mentally hoping that this isn’t going to be her biggest regret seeing that this is both Rainbow and Ono’s first appearance and this is how it turns out to be.


One week earlier...

Back then both Rainbow Dash and Ono were still officially reserves. Even after filling in for Wind Rider in Canterlot when the now ex-Wonderbolt was stripped of his rank and kicked out, they were still just the go to back-up pony and egret in case something else happened to them.

At that time, none other than Scootaloo came by to greet them. “Hey! Rainbow Dash! Ono!"

“Hey, Scootaloo!” Ono quickly greeted along with Rainbow Dash who smiled upon seeing her number one fan and honorary little sister.

"Hiya, Scootaloo! What's up?”

“How’s business?”

Scootaloo blinked before remembering the talks of starting up the Cutie Mark Crusader business. “Oh, that! It’s still a work in progress but still coming along.”

“That’s great!”

“Yeah! So anyways…” Her attention now focused on her honorary sister and idol. “I just came by tell you that, The Rainbow Dash Fan Club just decided – everypony's coming to see you when the Wonderbolts' new tour comes through Ponyville!" She flapped her tiny wings in excitement.

Rainbow tried to be modest, as she downplayed Scootaloo's enthusiasm. "Well, it's great that you guys are going to the show, Scoot, but I won't actually be performing in it," She then quickly explained. "Even with Wind Rider planning to make that show in Canterlot his last show, either way I’m not planning on taking up another opening until I know for sure it’s not because of some shady reason or whatever is really up with them.”

“Me neither.” Ono shook his head knowing full well of what happened last time an opening came up. “Besides reservists aren't in the show unless one of the real Wonderbolts can't fly." He then further explained. "We'll probably just be working crowd control or something, and only for the Ponyville show along with being alert for whenever the Prince and Princess of Friendship call us over for when another friendship mission comes up."

Scootaloo was not disappointed by what she heard as she just replied. "You're both still gonna be wearing a Wonderbolts uniform though, right?"

"A Reservist one, but yeah." Rainbow nodded.

"That's good enough for me." Scootaloo smiled. "And I’m sure the rest of the fan club will be satisfied with it as I am."

"Well it’s better than nothing.” Ono replied in agreement. “I mean what are the odds that we’ll actually become Wonderbolts right here on the spot?”

“Yeah! With no strings attached!” Rainbow laughed a bit.

Just then, there was a familiar whooshing sound from above courtesy of the lead trio of Wonderbolts flying past, Spitfire. Suddenly, Spitfire all broke off from the other Wonderbolts, hovered down to the ground, then landed for a dramatic pose with dust appearing upon making their entrance.

Scootaloo was amazed, she'd never seen such a stunt before! "Whoa! That is so amazing!"

Spitfire chuckled in response to the young fan’s excitement. “It sure is, kid. Because that’s how Wonderbolts make an entrance with style. She then took off her flight goggles and approached Rainbow Dash and Ono with something important to say to them. "Rainbow Dash! Ono! Glad we found you both . We need you two in the show when we get to Ponyville. Flying."

"But, they’re only in the reserves." Scootaloo pointed out. "Who couldn’t perform in the upcoming show this time?!”

“Oh, please tell this isn’t another set-up to get Rainbow kicked out of the Wonderbolts again, is it?” Ono worryingly asked.

Spitfire shook her head. "Nope. It’s no set-up. You two ain't reserves anymore, kids." She said with a smile.

Ono’s eyes went wide when he processed that. “What?”

Slowly gasping with building up excitement, Rainbow Dash asked Spitfire. "You mean..."

But Scootaloo ended up saying it first! Hugging Rainbow's face while bringing Ono in for a tight hug, she happily exclaimed! "Rainbow Dash! Ono You're both finally full-fledged Wonderbolts! Woo-hoo!" She started to laugh in excitement, happily dancing around and do a few little poses to show off her delight! "Yeah, Rainbow Dash! Ono! Whoo!" All the while, Rainbow just stood there, speechless.

Spitfire looked at both Rainbow and Ono and said to them with a slight laugh. "Heh. What she said. Congratulations, newbies!" Rainbow didn't say anything, she just stood there as the smile on her face grew bigger.

“Wow! Thanks a bunch!” Ono returned still stunned beyond belief that this is actually happening. The day not only Rainbow got promoted to being a full-fledged Wonderbolt but Ono himself is getting the same promotion as well.


Both Rainbow and Ono proved to be very eager new recruits for the team, already impressing Spitfire with their knowledge as she led across the academy grounds to the bunker.

"For a couple of newbies, you both sure know quite a bit," Spitfire said to both Ono and Rainbow Dash. "Do you remember that team briefings are every morning at—"

"-0720, because there were twenty ponies in the original E.U.P. Guard that became the Wonderbolts!" Rainbow Dash finished.

"And there have been seven captains since the group was founded by General Firefly, with you being lucky number seven!" Ono added.

Spitfire smiled. "Right, good to see you both got the basics down to every little detail along with sharp eyes. Now, I know you've seen the academy bunks, but these are the official Wonderbolts barracks." She pointed a hoof to a set of buildings just across the academy runway.

"Built by Admiral Fairweather himself!" Rainbow answered.

"And remember rule one, newbies," Spitfire cautioned. "Be careful when crossing the runway because most of the Wonderbolts tend not to in favor flashy entrances, so keep your eyes open and aware of your surroundings, so it happens more than you think."

"Right, no problem!" Rainbow promised.

“Even with keen sight, I will heed that warning.” Ono also promised.

"Good." Spitfire replied. "Now let’s get you both all suited up."

Spitfire led Rainbow Dash and Ono across the runway (after making sure it was safe to do so) and into the official Wonderbolts bunker. Inside are both Ono and Rainbow's official Wonderbolts flight suits, along with all sorts of relics from past Wonderbolts generations.

"Whoa! Is that General Flash's cap?!" Rainbow asked upon spotting out an old beat up cap that had seen better days.

“It sure looks like it.” Ono commented as he moved to examine it with his keen sight. “Definitely. I recognize that crest. With the Wonderbolts motto.”

Then he, Spitfire, and Rainbow Dash then all said together. "']Altius volantis! Soaring higher!'"

"Wow!" Rainbow commented with an awed gasp, before quickly composing herself for a more casual reply. "I mean, ha, cool."

Spitfire smiled, as she unlocked the case displaying the suits and hoofed it to both Ono and Rainbow Dash. "Here you go! Both designed and properly measured thanks to the Guard’s Keenest of Sight working with Rarity to get these fit for you both."

Both Ono and Rainbow blushed especially for the former since sewing is not exactly his kind of thing.

“Great. Thanks.” Ono replied trying to reign in how flustered he really is about that highlight being mentioned. “It was a tremendous honor to help see to they were designed perfectly.”

Spitfire just smiled and nodded, then she cleared her throat as she said. "Okay, newbies, time to get to work. We've got a show in two days, which means you gotta hustle your haunches to learn this routine. You got five minutes to get dressed and get outside to meet the rest of the team."

Both Rainbow and Ono firmly nodded.

"Yes, ma'am!”

“We'll have all of the moves down by the end of the day! We promise!"

"Let's hope so," Spitfire replied. "We're all expecting you to make quite an impression." She then zoomed away, but not before she saw both Rainbow Dash and Ono put the flight suits on, admire themselves in the mirror and say.

"Lookin' good!"

“Not bad!”

Had she stuck around, she would've also heard both Rainbow Dash and Ono say.

"Okay, Rainbow Dash, you're about to take your first flight as an actual Wonderbolt," She sighed.

"No pressure. Just focus on the training and it’s smooth sailing from here." Ono assured himself as he and Rainbow both stretched and groaned a little as they slipped the flight goggles on over their faces with the latter adding.

"Just gotta go out there and knock 'em off their hooves. Okay, Wonderbolts, get ready to meet your most awesome members ever!"

“Let’s go!”

Both Rainbow and Ono had proved to be very quick learners, impressing even the most unsure and doubtful of Wonderbolts. Surprisingly to them, they both had no trouble with following orders or obeying commands, something unheard of for almost all new recruits. In their defense, they’re quite used it to given all of the time they went on patrol under both Twilight and Ono’s command.

And they both had been perfectly content to wait for their moment in the spotlight, something that even Fleetfoot and Misty Fly found rather surprising. They even joked a little.

“I’m sorry, are you both Rainbow Ono, Fastest of the Fast, and Keenest of Sight?”

“Because you’re both different fliers than we thought you were going to be.”

They both said with good humor.

But now, both the newest and youngest members of the Wonderbolts, are both lying on separate stretchers in a medical tent while being tended to. Thankfully, it wasn’t long until they both came too.


The first thing Rainbow Dash and Ono asked upon coming to their senses was the following:

"Where are we? What happened?”

“Did that cloud come by to serve us breakfast?” Ono sniffed his feathers. “And why do still smell like burnt bacon and sausage.”

They both had to shake their heads to clear the rambling confusion, before finding themselves surrounded by all of her fellow Wonderbolts (except for Spitfire and a few others) were staring at her.

"And why are you staring at us with their jaws frozen and sickly grimaced?” Rainbow asked.

“Because you two are very, very, lucky.” Soarin answered to them.

“What? What do you mean?!”

“Like we both nearly died?!”

“Yeah! Not to mention survived something that any other Wonderbolt would have been sidelined indefinitely. But in your cases it’s only for a couple of months until you’ll be ready to perform again.”

“What?!”

“Really?!”

“I’m afraid so, Ono, Rainbow Dash.” Nurse Redheart confirmed while having some regret over having to break the bad news to them. “That means one week of no flying, but you’ll be back up to full strength by the end of the month. Although I’d advise that you wait until your follow up appointments two months from now before performing in any future Wonderbolt shows as a precaution to make sure you’re both 100%.”

“Aww, great.”

“Just the news we needed to hear. Although it could have been worse…”

“True, true. Aside from permanent damage to my wings, needing metal ones in place…”

“Losing my eyesight, my rank and title as the Keenest of Sight, killed, facing Death himself earlier than expected...”

“...yeah…” Rainbow laughed trying not to think much of what could have been. “...well thankfully that’s not the case and we since got plenty of years before that actually happens.”

“Right. Right.”

Fleetfoot however laughed and said. "Oh, don’t worry. I'm sure you’ll both be able to tell the tale of how you both laughed in the face of death. I mean’s it not like you both have anything else better to do until then, Rainbow Crash, and Dumbo?"

“Huh?”

“What?”

Both Ono and Rainbow couldn't believe it when some of the other Wonderbolts actually started laughing along with that comment. For Rainbow, the name "Rainbow Crash" brought back some rather unpleasant memories from her childhood.


A young Rainbow Dash was excited because it was her first day of flight school, and she was eager to prove herself. Unfortunately she ended up being too eager to fly out of the gate without listening to her teacher’s words of precaution.

"Okay, flight school! Get ready for Rainbow Dash!" She announced before taking off. Needless to say, she wound up losing control and ended up crashing into a trash can that rolled to a stop in front of her classmates. One that’s filled with trash inside of it.

Her teacher was quick to check up on her while pulling her out of the trash can, but some of the mean fillies were quick to mock her over it.

"More like Rainbow Crash!" A young Hoops mocked, with the rest of the fillies and colts at flight school following suit. All but a certain filly with a yellow coat and pink mane and tail styled into bangs that hid her face.

"My name's not Crash!" Rainbow protested, to no avail as the taunts and repeated mentions of that infamous nickname kept going until she couldn’t take it anymore. And then left flight camp right after the incident.


And as for Ono himself, it sparked a memory in his life, he never thought would ever surface up again.

Back when he was a young bird, Ono flew around the skies enjoying flying on his own free reign for it was his first time being able to fly on his own. He enjoyed every second with each “Woo-hoo!” he released while performing speedy maneuvers around trees even getting in on racing Fuli. Said cheetah looked on equally impressed with this egret’s natural speed before looking on with a confident expression ready for the challenge he is trying to give her.

The two were neck and neck with each other in their latest race just when Zazu happened to spot them from nearby. He moved to fly in to make sure they didn’t get carried away with their racing, especially with dark clouds appearing over the horizon. Just when it seemed to be decided by a mill-fraction of a second…

ZAP!

Suddenly to both Fuli and Zazu’s horrified shock, Ono just got struck and zapped by lightning and was knocked unconscious because of it. Thankfully, they both were quick to recover from the literal and emotional shock it gave them.

“Ono! Are you okay?”

“Oh, dear! I must go get help!”

Zazu rushed off to find Rafiki who very fortunately happened to be nearby while Fuli stayed by Ono’s side to make sure he is at the very least okay.

“Ono! Ono!” She gently patted his head along with splashing water on his face and massaging his forehead to help him recover. “Can you hear me! How many claws do I have up.” She presented all five claws on her right paw.

Ono mumbled a bit before regaining consciousness along with quickly seeing Fuli’s paw with her unsheathed claws. “Four. Four claws, Fuli.”

Fuli double-checked her paw to make sure his math is right before seeing that his now reawakened friend is indeed correct. “Oh, thank goodness. You’re okay.”

“Thankfully…” Ono stumbled while getting up on his feet while feeling an electric surge going through his head. Something that really had his brain flowing with immense knowledge in his head. “...considering the amount of voltage that went through my body that should have killed me instantly. Not to mention that cloud must have a lot of rain inside of it…” Said cloud pours rain on them much to the cheetah’s dismay. “...which should only last for another minute until it stops and moves out little as a whistle.” Said cloud actually does just that much to Fuli’s amazement that actually happened just when both Zazu and Rafiki arrived on the scene.

“They’re over here!”

“Ono! Fuli! Are you two okay?!”

“We’re better now!” Fuli happily replied while shaking her fur dry. “And you’re not going to believe what just happened!”

“That Ono survived the lightning strike?!”

“If that’s so you are one lucky bird, Ono. Because a direct shock from lightning should have killed you.” Rafiki commented feeling very astonished with what he is seeing.

“Well judging from the amount voltage that cloud had, it was a one in a million that anyone would ever survive that.” He shrugged. “What can I say? I just got lucky to endure one million volts of electricity flowing through my body in a sudden strike!” Hearing that left both Zazu and Rafiki stunned to the point the former dropped his beak in shock with the latter moving to shut it closed.

“Fuli?” Zazu spoke up after recovering from his shock. “Did Ono just say something intelligent?”

“I wouldn’t believed it if I wasn’t there. But he in fact did.”

“Incredible!”

“Ha, ha, indeed!” Rafiki then moved to gently place his hand over the egret’s legs wanting him to land there. “But there is the matter of doing a check up on you, just to be sure. So in the meantime, I will have to insist that you stay with me for a few days, before you start flying again.”

“Oh.”

“Oh, don’t feel so bummed, young flyer! Think of this as an opportunity to test your knowledge with what you now know. And if lucky, you might be a great knowledge heroic flyer.”

“Really! Okay! Well then, go ahead and quiz me!”

Fuli can only shake her head and giggle to herself as she follows after them to see for herself of how this plays out as already he is hitting off questions like it’s yesterday’s news and spotting things that none else could see just within the horizon.

But at the same time in the following days, Ono couldn’t help but overhear and oversee other Pride Landers especially his flock make mean jokes about him over the incident. Especially when one of them said to him.

“Hey, Dumbo! Get another stroke of dumb luck?”

A remark that left the other egrets laughing at him for the rest of the day over much to his hurt discomfort. Even to this very day he felt the very sting of that insult.


Though only a few Wonderbolts seemed to repeat Fleetfoot's "Rainbow Crash and Dumbo" comment over the next few days, their words and laughs stung both Rainbow and Ono far worse than the physical pain they endured earlier.

Both Rainbow Dash and Ono were just relieved that they both could fly home and rest, although they are still left distraught of how things literally went gone south for them in the span of just a few days, let alone one performance alone. As if it was bad enough to be grounded from performing (at least for the next two months), being called a nickname from their childhood that they thought was a thing of the past (and by the former’s idols themselves) only served to be the complete insult to injury.

“Ugh, what a day!”

“You said it!”

Ono moved to make himself at home where Rainbow Dash lives (so it’ll be a short flight for him for the rest of the day) before groaning to float onto a nearby cushion seat so he can rest. Rainbow after checking up on Tank followed after the egret by moving herself on over to her own bed. And once they were both settled in, they both can only wonder.

“How did this happen, and just when things were starting to go right?”

During their lament and troublesome wonders, they both recalled the conversation she'd had with her friends just a few days ago, when they were busy packing up for the Wonderbolts Academy. (For when they need to stay on the academy grounds.)


Just over a week earlier, both Rainbow Dash and Ono had been busy zooming around, packing up the last of their stuff to take to the academy.

"Uh, anypony seen my wing balm?" Rainbow asked. "I don't want to be stiff when I show up at Wonderbolt headquarters."

“And I need my eye drops to keep myself from being disoriented from dry eyes.” Ono also asked.

"Got it!" Spike called, tossing both the tube of the balm and the bottle of eye drops to both flyers who both quickly placed the requested items in their suitcases, and forced them shut with a click.

“So, from reserve member to a full fledged member of the Wonderbolts, huh?” Starlight remarked while still confused with what is now going on. “That’s really something.”

“Don’t suppose you have time to tell us what happened?" Kion asked hoping they’ll tell.

"Oh, yes, we must know every detail if possible." Rarity encouraged and tried to insist.

Rainbow just chuckled, as she told Kion. "Well since Scootaloo was around when it happened she’ll be more than happy to tell you. But aside from that there's really not much to say.”

“Yeah!” Ono chimed in. “Spitfire just recently told us the Wonderbolts want us to go on tour with them, and neither one of us couldn't say no to that."

Fuli smiled, feeling very happy to see her friends achieve the dream Rainbow had long dreamed of along with the honor Ono had desired since he decided to pursue this goal himself. "That's really great. I know how long you've been waiting for a spot to open up."

“And to think they’d do the same to you too Ono, both of you together at the same time.” Beshte also added feeling very happy for him.

"It's quite a once and while opportunity to be presented with. Especially since this is not every day this sort of thing happens." Kyoga added.

"But exactly how did this promotion come up like this?” Starlight then asked and brought up.

“Yeah? How did that happen?” Kion also asked again.

"And are you both leaving already?" Pinkie asked both fliers. "Because I was just about to get ready to throw a 'Going Away' party, or at least be able to say goodbye with a sparkle of confetti.

“Oh, if only I had thought to bring the party cannon the last time we were at Sugarcube Corner.” Bunga moaned with regret.

Ono quickly replied and explained why flying down to his eye level. "Pinkie, Bunga, there’s nothing to worry about. We're not leaving Ponyville forever.”

“Yeah!” Rainbow stated to prove that’s indeed the truth. “We just have to train for this show, then we'll come back here. But we do have to report to Wonderbolts headquarters this afternoon. It's only two days 'til tour starts, and we need to learn the routine.”

“And to answer your question, Kion, Starlight, it's like this. Fire Streak decided to retire and teach full-time. Cloudsdale Flight School will probably be churning out Wonderbolts with him there. But guess who was at the top of the Reserve list."

“You?” Both Kion and Starlight replied in unison.

“Yep! Us!” Rainbow replied with proud crossed arms.

"I hope everything goes well.” Fluttershy happily and kindly wished the best of luck to the soon to be newest Wonderbolts. “Sounds like an awful lot of pressure having to learn everything so quickly."

"Yeah. Good luck, Dash, Ono." Applejack then did the same.

"Take care of yourselves, you two." Kyoga added herself with words of encouragement.

"Thanks." Rainbow kindly returned. "I can't believe it's taken this long for the Wonderbolts to recognize my awesomeness along with yours Ono, but better late than never."

“That’s so definitely true.” Ono didn’t even bother arguing with her there.

Before they could leave Twilight quickly warned Rainbow Dash while wishing them luck. "Everypony knows you're a great flyer, Rainbow Dash, and everyone knows you have what it takes to keep pace with them Ono, but so are the rest of the Wonderbolts. It might be more challenging than you think."

"So try not to get too disappointed if something doesn't work out like you hoped." Kyoga also advised. "It doesn't take much for hard work to rendered all for nothing because of one mistake no matter how small it may be at first glance."

"Aw, you're right," Rainbow replied to acknowledge that statement. "I'm the new recruit, which means great things are expected out of us. But it won’t be long until we are well known and moving up the ranks. I mean who knows what could happen in short time? Maybe if lucky, second in command by the time we’re all grown up."

“Maybe. Maybe not.” Ono replied before they both took off together on to the Wonderbolts headquarters where they are expected by the afternoon.


The only going through their minds before falling asleep is left hoping that by tomorrow, things will carry on like nothing happened. And hopefully nothing they feel is worth dragging their friends attention who already have their lives booked with important must do duties to take care of.


When 7:00 came the two newest Wonderbolts were quick to get up and get dressed ready to resume and pick up where they left off before heading out in perfect sync together. Neither of them said a word to each other both silently and mentally hoping that things were going to get better now that they’re well enough to start practicing with the team again.

Although the Wonderbolts were slated to tour all over Equestria, Rainbow Dash and Ono knew they had at least a few more days before they would need to leave for the rest of Equestria. Even so, they’re both hoping that they'd be too busy with what’s to come to keep calling her Crash and Dumbo. At first, it seemed like it was going to happen that way. Aside from Spitfire who being the team captain of the Wonderbolts was the first to notice them arrive.

"Ah, good to see both can join us today, newbies.” Spitfire greeted somewhat warmly. "Always a good sign to see you’re both not calling it quits just before things can get really started."

Both Rainbow and Ono casually replied like it’s nothing to them.

“Well quitting is the last thing either of us want to do.”

“And we’re not about let what happened define the end of our career and legacy before it can even get started.”

Spitfire nodded in response. "Just don't expect things to go easy from here. Newbies or not, you still answer to us. While we won’t be able to work you both with your current injuries, we will still work you to what you both can do and then some. After all, last thing we need are slackers on the fly. Our main goal here is get you both back in shape without hurting yourselves so that when you’re ready to start flying alongside us again, it'll be picking up where we left off. Is that understood to you both, Rainbow Dash?! Ono?!"

"Yes ma'am!" Both Rainbow and Ono firmly replied with obedient salutes

"Good!" Spitfire then blew her whistle so practice can commence.

While practice carried on like usual, the insults both being referred to as Crash and Bono still carried on like it is still worth talking about regardless of how upsetting it is both fliers trying to get in shape and prepare themselves on their way to a full recovery. At least Spitfire had the decency not to indulge in this herself.

“Crash! You’re breaking formation! Shape up, Dumbo!” Fleetfoot called out at one point when they struggled to maintain the same altitude as the other Wonderbolts.

"Check your nine, Crash! Pay attention to your surrondings, Dumbo!” Soarin then shouted when they both appeared to veer off course.

"Tighter, Crash, get in there! What's the matter, a sight for sore eyes, Bono?!" Misty shouted when Rainbow and Ono both weren’t flying close enough to either of her partners.

Each time, Rainbow and Ono would growl and protest.

"My name's not Crash!"

“My name’s not Dumbo!”

But each time it seemed like their complaint’s went unaddressed. It also didn't help that when Misty Fly said it, she ended up smacking into Surprise and sending them both spiraling into a cloud.

"Your name's not Crash and Dumbo, huh?" Surprise asked both Rainbow and Ono afterwards. "Well, you could've fooled me.”


The day seemed to stretch on longer than both Ono and Rainbow Dash hoped for, but when the end of the day with a glorious sunset over the whole Equestrian horizon finally came they were both glad that today’s flying routines were over. However, upon entering the locker rooms and changing out of their flight suits, they were both left looking on in confusion when they were given a mop and bucket, along with some cleaning supplies.

“Huh? What gives?!”

“Yeah, what she said!”

They both complained and expected an explanation for this.

"Sorry, Crash, Dumbo, but this is what’s expected of you both." Fleetfoot replied.

Soarin moved to explain as he said to both fliers. "I know you both have been Reservists for quite a while, but the 'Bolts have a few of their own rules you might not know about. Like worst flyer of the day has to clean up the whole compound.”

“What?!” Ono squawked out in exasperation to match his tired eyes. “Are you kidding me?!”

“I wish I was, Dumbo.” Soarin replied sympathetically. “But rules are rules. Now get to it. You too, Crash."

Ono looked on with a twitchy eyed that turned into an angered expression as he frustratingly stated. “Is seriously going to define our names till the day our time ends?! It’s one thing to acknowledge what could have been the other day, but to call me a name that is not only a bucking insult that stems from my childhood, but also a big middle feather to my bucking face!”

“So for the last time my name's NOT Crash! And he is NOT Dumbo! It's Ono and Rainbow Dash!"

"Crash! Dumbo! Calm down!" High Winds firmly replied. "I know you're both upset with what happened today, but things will get better. Besides, this isn’t the worst job to be saddled with. Be thankful you're not on mess hall duty, because that’s an even bigger and more daunting task to tackle."

"Maybe a little presentation is in order." Blaze then said before opening up a locker. When she stepped aside, both Ono and Rainbow's eyes fell upon two official Wonderbolts jacket.

But when they both looked at the jackets more closely, they noticed that among the badges stitched onto it was the nicknames they’re were given by the Wonderbolts that they both openly hated!

"Crash?!”

“Dumbo?!”

“And what’s so hard about putting our actual names on them?!” Rainbow demanded.

Fleetfoot laughed as she replied. "Because that's not how it works around here, Crash, Bono. We all have our nicknames on our jackets. Right, Clipper?"

"Clipper?"

“Who’s he or she?”

Both Rainbow and Ono asked now confused.

"Right, Flatfoot," Soarin responded. "And as Hoof in Mouth can tell, the mess hall is the worst clean up job to be saddled with."

"Hoof in Mouth?" Both Rainbow and Ono asked again, wondering who could be called that.

High Winds spoke up as she said. "Me. And over there are Dizzy and Slowpoke."

"Dizzy? Slowpoke?" Rainbow and Ono asked once more both unable to believe what they are hearing.

Not only are their fellow Wonderbolts were not only calling them a nickname they despised, but they were tossing around insulting nicknames for each other like it’s all in good humor. And that was where not only Rainbow but Ono also hit their breaking point as they both threw down the jackets with an enraged tirade, shouting at the top of her lungs.

“THAT IS IT! I have had it to here with all of constant name calling!”

“Me too! The things I can't believe that I’m hearing! This after I spent my life looking up to you all, spending every first chance I can get to becoming one of you!”

“Putting aside past grievances after what happened with Lightning Dust and Wind Rider I hoped it would be all just be water under the bridge but no. Really we were just fooling ourselves to believe things will get better. But really, things have never improved since day one.”

“And boy were we just kidding ourselves! Here we are actually dealing with a bunch of bullies and stuck up jerks no better than the ones that we had to deal with when growing up. Not to mention picking on us whenever we can’t keep up.”

“Just when I was starting to believe that the Wonderbolts were giving me an identity to live with great importance outside of me being the Guard’s Keenest of Sight, you all once again squash my thoughts that you all are the coolest fliers to ever grace the skies. Forget this! And forget all of you! I quit!”

“Me too! I quit!”

"Crash! Dumbo!" Soarin shouted, but it was too late! The newbies had already flew out in a flash that knocked the other Wonderbolts off of their hooves.

As the Wonderbolts picked themselves up and looked at the discarded jackets both Ono and Rainbow had left behind, Spitfire arrived on the scene having overheard the commotion from her office and had come running.

"What just happened?!" She demanded of the Wonderbolts. "And I want the truth!"

"We told Crash and Bono that the worst fliers of the day has to clean up the entire compound, and they completely flipped out." Soarin explained. "They took great offense to the names and felt that it was very mean and disrespectful to themselves given that it heavily reminded them of painful childhood memories. Then they decided they don’t want anymore of this if this is the way things are going to be, then they flew off before any of us could explain what was really happening."

"So none of you took the time to tell her why we really call each other by those names??" Spitfire asked, glaring at the Wonderbolts who can only look on silently to confirm that reply. "Even after knowing what happened last time?" None of the Wonderbolts replied otherwise, only hanging their heads in shame leading to Spitfire sigh in response. "Apparently not, so now it's up to me to set things right, again. Like I haven’t had enough messes to clean since becoming captain."

"We never meant for things to get this far, Spitfire. Really." Fleetfoot apologized. "We just thought after getting used it to them we didn’t think that they’d would understand right off the bat it was all meant to be good teasing humor. We really didn’t want the best new fliers to want to join us to leave.”

“Well you just did!” Spitfire bluntly returned and then she added. “In the meantime, I’m going catch up to the newbies and try to fix this. And hold off on the nicknames until then. She exited the compound without wearing either her instructor's suit or her flight suit, and as she zoomed out onto the academy grounds in quick pursuit she thought to herself. "After all of this, I really need a have a team meeting with everyone so we can improve as a team going forward."


It didn't take too long for Spitfire to find Rainbow Dash and Ono, luckily for her both fliers had yet to leave the academy grounds, but the fact they were at the very edge of them indicated just how bad things have gotten. "Rainbow Dash, Ono wait!" Spitfire called out.

Both Rainbow and Ono spun around, surprised to see Spitfire in her current appearance for the first time in their lives.

“What?! Come to further rub salt in the wound as we take our flight in shame?!”

“Boy, wouldn’t that be something.”

"Please, listen to me!" Spitfire pleaded. "Here we Wonderbolts have a little tradition we share where the embarrassing nicknames are a part of it."

“Wow.” Ono returned unimpressed. “Isn’t that interesting.”

"Yeah! Flatfoot, Dizzy, and Hoof in Mouth?!" Rainbow remarked in the same tone. "I don’t suppose Clipper came from something that Soarin endured worse than what we did?"

Spitfire shook her head. "As long as you promise not to tell Soarin or anypony, I’ll tell you why.” She briefly looked around to make sure nopony was around to hear them.

“Sure.”

“Okay.”

“Back when he was starting out with the Wonderbolts, he clipped one of his wings on a flagpole. He spent a month in the hospital, and spent the following three months before he could fully recover."

"And how exactly is making fun of someone for clipping his wing supposed to help make us feel any better about this so called tradition you ponies have?” Ono inquired expecting a good answer out of it.

"While I didn't really like it myself and would have told the other Wonderbolts to not do so. He decided to stick with the nickname as a motivational tactic and wouldn’t let me." Spitfire explained. "Ever since then, that's what we've all done. From Fleetfoot misjudging a landing and coming down right on my front right hoof, or High Winds causing an entire formation to fall from the sky because she was too busy making funny faces, the embarrassing nickname thing is something we consider a little initiation ritual. And as much as I hate it myself, it actually worked wonders in motivating us to do our best each and every performance since then. Though I have to ask you both why the nicknames Crash and Dumbo got you both so upset?"

Both Rainbow and Ono looked around before the former asked Spitfire. "You promise not to tell?" Spitfire nodded, and Rainbow took that as her cue to explain with a sigh deciding to explain first. "It's a nickname I got when I was a filly. I crashed into a trash can on my first day of flight school, and a couple of bullies starting calling me that every time they saw me. No matter how hard I tried to ignore them, everyone in the entire school started chanting it and teasing me with it, to the point I quit flight camp because of it. After I pulled off the Sonic Rainboom at the Best Young Flyers Competition, I thought that name would be a thing of the past. I felt like being called Crash again, just served as a reminder of something that can never be lived down no matter how hard I try to prove that things have improved since then."

“And as for me well…” Ono moved to explain himself. “Back when I was showing early speed and determination for a Wonderbolt, I got struck by lightning similar to the cloud from the show the other day. I was lucky to survive that, and while I gained an intelligence boost out of it, I have also had the unfortunate luck of being called Dumbo because me surviving that to them is a stroke of dumb luck. I mean in a way it’s true, but it still hurt even to this day and after proving myself to be an accomplished flier in my own right.”

“Really?” Rainbow returned highly surprised to hear such a thing since he never told her that. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“It’s okay, you didn’t know, no one else did up until this point.” Ono returned with no hard feelings towards his confidants. “I just wish everyone would have seen it as a blessing and not a curse even when I did get lucky to still be around to this day.”

"I see." Spitfire commented understanding of why it’s a very sensitive nickname for the both of them. "Well, if anything, it's not the worst nickname they could've invented. And you're not the only one who has a nickname they'd rather forget about it. You don't wanna know what they call me." She whispered it to both Rainbow Dash and Ono.

Neither flier could believe such a harsh nickname would exist, and decided it was best not to ask Spitfire how she'd gotten that "unfortunate" nickname.

"Whoa! That is so much worse than Crash."

“That even puts Dumbo to shame.”

"I know, right?" Spitfire returned. "So, if I get the other Wonderbolts to apologize for taking things so far with the nicknames, do you still wanna be part of the team? We've been waiting for a couple of spots to open up ever since you both joined the Reserves! And you've both saved all of Equestria and the Pride Lands at least half a dozen times or so. While I can’t do anything else, we can at least tone down the nicknaming to what it was originally supposed to be used for. So can you be part of this team and not try to showboat like you have a tendency to do sometimes, Rainbow? And can you be willing to give us another chance, Ono?"

Both fliers thought long and hard about this for several minutes. Rainbow truly longed for a chance to fly with her idols, but she wasn't sure if she was comfortable with the idea of calling her teammates by embarrassing nicknames (or letting them do it to her). Ono himself, along for the same reasons also was unsure whether to fly with fliers who really help him push himself to limits and helped keep his abilities sharp as always especially since it has proven very crucial from time to time even more so since joining the team.

After thinking it over they both sighed and spoke their decision.

"I’ll stay.”

“So will I.”

“I've spent my whole life trying to be a standout flyer, but now that I'm finally a Wonderbolt, it's time to be okay with fitting in!"

“And while the nicknames are still something for me to take in, at least I know it isn’t out of malice anymore.”

"Good." Spitfire smiled, and breathed a sigh of relief. "But you're both still gonna have to be on probation for a month, I'm afraid. Because even with good reason, flying off on your superiors the way you did is a violation of Wonderbolts code. Rules are rules.”

“Understood.”

“Nothing we can argue about that.”

“Great to hear that, newbies.” Soarin’s voice said to them just when they arrived and appeared before the three. “And who knows what will happen next. Maybe things will change for the better with or without the nicknaming itself.”

“Maybe.”

“Maybe not.”

“And now that you both have decided to stick around with us…” Fleetfoot added before speaking apologetically to them. “...we’d like to take this moment to apologize for how we acted earlier ever since the show. Given of how used to this tradition we were, we neglected to be more sensitive towards other first timers, you both included."

"It's okay," Rainbow replied with a forgiving smile. "We understand now why you do this to each other. Though we didn’t help our case by not completely listening to advice when we instead focused on the nicknames you kept calling us.”

“Along with completely flying off the handle the way we did back there which netted us a month of cleaning.” Ono added ready to forgive the others as well.

“Well it could have been worse.” Soarin assured with a look that says compared to whatever punishment he and the others endured in the past they’re getting off easy. “And with all things considered, you’re both taking this well.”

“Yeah, why are you in a good mood.” Fleetfoot asked.

"Duh! Because we’re Wonderbolts!" Rainbow happily replied.

“And we look forward to a new beginning together!” Ono happily added. “Whether it’s new challenges, new lessons to learn, and new accomplishments yet to be accomplished. We look forward to it.”

“And that’s something we look forward to ourselves, Crash, Bono!” Spitfire happily expressed before they all flew back to the compound together.


At the same time, Lightning Dust and Wind Rider looked on very envious and furious with how despite all of those hardships those two went through together to become the newest Wonderbolts, they’re still friends and Wonderbolts through and through.

“I can’t believe this! Just when they we’re this close to leaving!” Lightning furiously vented. “I should have sent another cloud their way when I had the chance!”

“Me too! But we were also told not to engage with the Wonderbolts.” Wind Rider then said and reminded while sharing the other Pegasus’s frustration. “Especially after Princess Twilight and Prince Kion has already told them about what we did in the Dragon Lands. If we do, then we’ll lose the element of surprise our commanding officer wants us to keep.”

“Other than for whenever we do go after them?!”

“Yes…” Scar’s voice spoke to them as his green eyes appeared in one of the nearby clouds. “...and even still the plan was enough to keep both Rainbow and Ono grounded which is exactly what I wanted. Because now that paves way for me to be able to carry out my new latest plan. One that’ll definitely ensure their cooperation with nothing more than a little need and thirst of surrender...”

Author's Note:

Here it is, the day not only Rainbow Dash but also Ono both finally become full fledged members of the Wonderbolts, and it is everything they could have ever imagined. Expect... for what happens on the day of their very big debut. As if getting nearly killed wasn't bad enough, they both get demeaning nicknames to go with it. Ones that strike a nerve from their past childhood experience.

Up until the end of the episode (which I found some inspiration to rewrite it to make the Wonderbolts more tolerable and likable here), it has greatly gotten on their nerves up until they both hit their breaking point and nearly quit because of it, up until it was explained to them why they give each other nicknames like that. And thanks to that, it convinced them both to reconsider leaving and continue on the start of their new Wonderbolt lives.

At the same time with both fliers out of commission for a little while, it paves way for Scar himself to enact his latest plan. One that'll bring suffering to the Pride Lands, and leave them begging to surrender. So something to look forward to next week. So stay tuned...