• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 871 Views, 18 Comments

Shining End - Aevus



Leading two lives gets really hard.

  • ...
2
 18
 871

Night Two: The Moon Rises

I once again open my eyes and yawn. I look around and confirm that I am once again the first guard awake. I grab my amulet and toss it up and down, waiting for the other guards to wake up. Eventually they do and I provide outside, following my normal path. After that I go down to the barracks and find the same group ,minus five or six ponies, as the night before. They snap to attention as I enter.

"At ease." I say in a rather commanding tone. "You are the only ponies left from yesterday, and now your training will start. During this training you will do everything I say to do, without question. Refusing my orders will result in being removed from this class. Do I make myself clear?!"

"Yessir!" They shout in response. I have a good feeling about this group, and I hope it's right. The training groups usually all fail, no matter how good they are. The reason most of them fail is because they don't follow the orders I give, which to be fair can be kind of crazy sometimes.

"Good. lets start out with a healthy two hundred and fifty push ups. GO!" I yell. They drop to the floor and begin the push ups. I notice that one stallion in the middle of the room isn't having any trouble at all with the order. So he's the tough guy of this group, well messing with him will be fun at least.

After they finish the push ups I have them sprint for as long as they can, most of them only make it a mile or so before slowing down. Before they're done recovering from that I have them sprint back to the barracks. Some just collapse on the way there, and I tell them to just trot to their bunks for the night. I tell the rest the same.

It was a Thursday though, so I had night court duty. The court was usually more fun than patrols, but it could get old. Then Princess Luna returned and it changed completely. Now it was the most fun part of the night for most of the guards, mostly because Luna is a ton of fun to hang around. She is also hilariously brutal to any ponies that come to night court and make ridiculous requests.

As I approach the courtroom however, my stomach starts to ache. It's like a dull pain, most likely just a regular stomach ache, but I'll get it checked out later. When I open the door to the courtroom, I am met with a sound like nails on a chalkboard. For the second time this week I walk in on Blueblood being an idiot in one of the Princesses courtrooms.

"But Luna, one of your stupid guards wa-" I just teleported him out right then and there. I already heard this conversation once before, I don't need to hear it again. The Princess gives me a mixed look of relief and anger, but she grins nevertheless.
I dropped to one knee, because unlike Celestia the Princess of the night was all about formalities.

"We would prefer if you told us next time before you rid us of our guest." Luna says as I rise from my bow.

"You majesty, you're using the royal we again." I say calmly. Luna blushes a bit, but quickly hides it. She is still getting used to modern speech patterns and talking volumes. Her mistakes are becoming less and less common, but they still occur and when it does it's kind of cute.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like her or anything, I just um... never mind. I take my place at her side and stand still. This continues for the next three or four hours while ponies complain about their stupid problems. Only one or two are actually worth the princess helping, and those few are helped in any way possible. After all is said and done Princess Luna says we can go back to our bunks, and I do.

On my way home I here a scream, and out of instinct I follow it. When I reach the point of the scream I am greeted with a gruesome sight. A pony lay on the ground, bleeding from her eyes and mouth. She sees me and lets out another scream. I rush to her side and pick her up, then I run towards the nearest hospital as quickly as possible.

"What happened to her!?" I hear a doctor shout as I approach the hospital. They take the mare to intensive care and I fall asleep on one of the benches in the waiting room.