• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 871 Views, 18 Comments

Shining End - Aevus



Leading two lives gets really hard.

  • ...
2
 18
 871

Day One: Leaving Home

An average day in Canterlot, the tension in the court room was thick enough to cut with a knife. I was here because of a royal summons and I walked in on that imbecile Blueblood arguing with the princess. My headache literally doubled as I stepped in the room, this was mostly because of the language and tone Blueblood used while talking to the princess.

"But auntie!" Blueblood wined, "That idiot night guard was so rude. I want him executed!" I rubbed one of my temples with the tip of my hoof, when I put my hoof down Blueblood finally recognized my presence. "Who do you think you are! Auntie I want him thrown in pris-" At this point I just teleported him away into the street.

"As much as I thank you for what you just did, I do ask that you never do it again. He tends to get a little, pushy if you know what I mean." The princess said as I dropped to one knee. This felt more natural to me than most ponies, mostly because I live near the castle, but there are other reasons too. Her face is masked in a fake frown, a pretty good one at that, but nothing that I couldn't see past. I rise and I here the sound of shouts coming from outside the room.

"BUT YOU HAVE TO LET ME IN, THAT RUFFIAN TELEPORTED ME OUTSIDE!" I snickered and Celestia's frown faltered. We both knew that it was protocol that nopony be let in during a private meeting with the princess, no matter the circumstance. That's what we learned in the lunar guard, that's also what the solar guard learned. How I know that they both learn it, that's a mystery still unsolved by all ponies but me.

"So my princess, what do you need my help for today." My commander probably would have punched me in the face, where I still in the solar guard, for talking to the princess first. She didn't mind it though, fun fact, Celestia hates when ponies are overly formal to her. I know this from years of being one of her personal guards.

"I ordered you here for something very important, but before I tell you I want to ask you something. Are you loyal to me?" Celestia said, her once playful tone turned very serious. This question seemed unneeded, the answer was an obvious yes. I had served for her personal guard for three years. My guard instincts kicked in and I gave an automatic answer.

"I was a solar guard, my task was to protect you and other ponies, no matter the cost. I would sacrifice my life for another, this applies to you ten fold. It is my duty to protect Equestria from all evils, to shine light on the darkness. Ego sum aeternaliter fidus, I am eternally loyal." I finished the line with something else I had picked up in my days as a guard. It was an old pony language that some said possessed great power when combined with magic, in the guard it was used for things of great importance, like promises.

Her face softened at the use of the old language, whatever she was going to send me for must be important. Not only was I personal guard, but I specialized in an... unusual kind of magic to say the least. This magic is widely thought to be impossible and the princess wanted me to keep it that way. Then again, who knows what would happen if a stallion with the ability to use chronomancy (Time magic) fell into the wrong hoofs.

She nods and begins to speak. "I expected nothing less from you, commander Aevus. I ask only one thing of you, and that is that you go to Ponyville. I have already found a place for you to stay for the time that you are there. While you are there, you are to relax and make some friends." I knew from the look on her face that she wasn't lying. Good grief what kind of order was that.

"I'll admit I'm reluctant to accept, but I know you enough to trust that you have a reason for this." I bowed my head and left the room. As soon as the doors opened I found a hoof swinging strait at my face. I absentmindedly grabbed it and threw it to the side, causing the owner to lose his balance. I looked down to see a very disgruntled Prince Blueblood. Before he could speak I did, in a very threatening tone, might I add. "Didn't your mother ever teach you not to mess with commanders of the guard, hmm?" With that I resumed walking.

I went home and grabbed my green overcoat, one of my most prized possessions. It looked normal from the outside, but on the inside it had four large pockets and a small slit into the fabric were I could hide my knife. It was fitted perfectly so that the knife wouldn't bother me as I walked. The coat had been a gift from one of my best friends, a friend that was at the wrong place at the wrong time during the changeling invasion. I put it on and grabbed a bag of bits, putting them in one of the pockets on the inside of the coat, just to be safe.

Canterlot may seem to be a perfect city, but lets face it, if it was why would we need the guard. I slipped my knife in and set off for the train station. I arrived and walked up to the mare at the ticket booth. She noticed me walking up and the expression went from bad to worse, probably bored from the day of work and ready to get off. I put on my best smile.

"Excuse me miss, how much is a ticket to Ponyville?" She gave me a look of pure hatred as I asked that question.

"We're closed for the day, now get lost before I call the guards." She retorted. An evil grin fell across my face as I heard the words. I had a plan and it would be awesome if it worked.

"So you would call me is what you're saying." Her face perked up at the statement and I tried to look like I was bluffing. She fell for this and made a quick reply.

"Yea right, you're not a guard." My smile widened.

"You're right," I said in the most regal accent possible. "I am solar guard commander Aevus, and I am under strict orders from princess Celestia to go to Ponyville, now if you would mind." She scanned over me and did a double take, I held up my bag of bits. "How much was that ticket?"

"I-it'll be f-five bits s-sir." She replied in a shaky voice. Oh yea, my plan worked. I handed her the bits and looked at the ticked, surprised to see that it left in five minutes. I boarded the train to see that it was very crowded. In fact only one seat remained, it was in the the third row and the other pony there was a white pony with a beautiful purple mane.

The mare was idly flipping through a fashion magazine when I sat down in the seat. Her attention went from the magazine to me. She looked at me for a second and her eyes widened a small bit. She shifted in her seat and put the magazine down, staring intently at my overcoat.

"Oh darling, why ever would you were such a horrid color as green?" She asked. This is going to be a long ride isn't it.

"I'm wearing it because of many reasons. One of them is that it's the only thing I have left of a good friend. A second reason is that it helps me carry things that need to be easily accessible." She looked at me with an unreadable face before I heard a loud crash come from behind us. A very drunk looking stallion had just walked into the cart and was walking over towards us.

"Get out of my seat dumb ass!" He yelled at me, unaware of who I was. I answered in the most calm voice that I could. It was pretty calm, surprisingly so to the other ponies in the train.

"As much as I would love to kick your sorry flank to the moon right now, I'm getting kind of tired, could you come back some other time?" As soon as I asked this he did exactly what I had expected him to do, he threw a punch. The thing that caught me off guard was the knife that he was holding. I quickly caught the swipe, but I didn't prevent the knife from nicking the side of my face.

"You bucking idiot," I said in a cold voice. "You just ruined an almost perfect day." I twisted his hoof, allowing the knife to fall to the ground. I proceeded to flip him onto the ground and pull out my own knife. I put it to his throat and spoke loudly, so everypony could hear it. "As a captain of the solar guard I hear by place you under royal arrest!"

A pair of guards rushed in as I said this and I motioned for them to hoof-cuff him. They did so and I sat back in my seat, putting my knife away.

"That's why I have this overcoat." I promptly fell asleep.