• Published 28th Dec 2011
  • 1,937 Views, 68 Comments

The Night's Companion - BrookwoodBronco



An OC character becomes Luna's friend, but trouble is afoot

  • ...
4
 68
 1,937

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

----------

Sleepy Head awoke with a start. Cold sweat was pouring from his forehead as he placed his hoof on his heart to try to slow it down. He looked around and found he was alone in his room. When he tried to get out of bed, he felt bruised from what happened the night before. He trotted over to his balcony and noticed that the sun had already fallen, and the moon was just coming over the horizon. He let the warm glow of the stars refuel his body as he collected his thoughts.

“Last night… something happened… I was getting to know Luna… and then…” He shook his head, “Why can’t I remember? Ok, so we ate… and then we played some games… the last game I remember was… hide and seek! Yeah, the princess hid first and I found her… and then… nothing… I’m blank as a sheet,” He opened his eyes and snorted in disgust. His body heated up as the night air healed his wounds, but he was still frustrated that it could not heal his memory. Starting with his tail, a quiver went up his spine as the pain left his body. Once finished, he breathed a sigh and turned back toward his room.

Sleepy Head spotted Princess Luna at the doorway watching him. She was still the smaller Luna he had seen when he first got here. He guessed she always changed forms when she brought out the moon, but apparently he had guessed wrong.

“You’re finally up! I apologize for what happened last night,” she said bowing.

Sleepy Head was walking up to her, “Yea… my head’s kinda fuzzy on that subject.”

“Our fight was kind of rough.”

“We fought?! Now that you mention it… I remember some sort of… fight…”

The lunar princess put her hoof up to her mouth in shock, “Oh! I didn’t mean fight… I meant PILLOW fight. It seems I got carried away and knocked you unconscious. I had read in one of my books that pillow fights were essential to a good sleepover.”

“Uh huh…” Sleepy Head rubbed his head, “Well, lucky for you, the night always makes me feel better. No matter what happens, I can always count on the stars to heal me.”

“Is that… some kind of magic?” She said with an examining look.

“Well… I don’t think so. I’m an Earth pony, so magic isn’t exactly my forte,” he said with a smile.

She giggled, “Well, the night’s just started! What would you like to do tonight? I was thinking we could settle down and read a nice book together…”

Sleepy Head shrugged, “Whatever floats your boat.” They were about to head down the spiral steps when the maroon pony’s stomach started to growl. “Onnn second thought, do you have anything to eat? I think I missed breakfast.”

“Oh, my sister and I already ate, but we can head over to the kitchen if you’d like.” Sleepy Head nodded and Luna surprisingly bolted down the steps. “Race ya to the kitchen!” she shouted behind her. Sleepy Head rolled his eyes and took his time down the steps. Though he was carefully traversing the steep steps, his mind was racing as fast as Rainbow Dash.

“So she knocked me out with a pillow huh? Didn’t think I was that weak. Of course, at the time she was almost twice my size. I wonder why I can’t remember that happening… or why Luna grew to that size all of a sudden. Something about that story doesn’t seem right…”

Sleepy Head had forgotten where the kitchen was, and soon found himself lost in the maze-like castle. After a while, he stumbled across a servant unicorn and asked which way it was. She pointed the direction and he thanked her kindly. On his way there, he grumbled under his breath about how his memory wasn’t straight. The maroon stallion found the impact doors leading to the kitchen and pushed his way in.

The kitchen was a fine white tile and the cabinets were of sanded oak. In there, one of the cooks was wiping all the counters except for the island in the middle. On the island was a certain blue princess, snoozing while she waited for her companion. She opened one eye and smirked at Sleepy Head as he trotted over to her.

“What took ya so long? I almost got a good night’s sleep before you got here,” she said triumphantly. Her voice seemed slightly raspier than before, but Sleepy Head ignored it.

“When’d you become a giant prick?” he mumbled under his breath.

“Did you say something?”

“I said ‘I forgot where the kitchen was.’ That’s my bad.”

“Well hurry up and eat something so we can start playing some games,” she exclaimed, jumping to her feet.

“I thought you wanted to read a book or something,” he said with his head in the pantry.

“I decided books are too boring, we need some action! I’ll be waiting in the garden, try to keep up!” And with that, she bolted out of the kitchen. Sleepy Head finally found some dandelions when she sprinted out of the room. He sighed as he munched on his breakfast.

“What’s gotten into her?”

----------

“Luna, I’ve decided that tonight we would start with our manners and speaking lessons,” Sleepy Head said sternly. He had come into the garden to see Luna jumping all over the place. She was smelling the flowers in the flowerbed when he confronted her.

“That sounds boring; let’s just play!” she shouted, grabbing the maroon pony’s hooves and spinning him around. Her voice seemed a little high pitched now, but Sleepy Head was too preoccupied with what she was doing to worry about how she sounded.

The maroon stallion shook her away and tried to calm her down, “Princess, we did a lot of play yesterday. I think it would be best if we-”

“Have you felt this grass?! It’s sooo soft!” she exclaimed, obviously not paying attention to a word he was saying.

“Luna, I have to do my job. What would your sister say if she saw you rolling in the mud?”

“But rolling in mud is fun! You’ve gotta try it!” she said, grabbing his hoof again to pull him down with her. He jerked it away from her and took a couple steps back. “Ok… what’s going on… her personality keeps changing…” Suddenly, a mud pie slammed into his face. Luna laughed hysterically as Sleepy Head wiped the mud from his eyes. That was it, his patience had run dry.

“LUNA! That’s it, I’ve had it! What is WRONG with you?!”

“Huh?”

“I’m done!” he shouted, stomping away in outrage.

“Wait-”

“Don’t follow me!” He didn’t care anymore. She was just too much to handle. Why was he trying to give her speaking lessons anyway, she has obviously mastered it already. What happened to the bigger, kinder, less crazy Luna? He had thought the smaller Luna was timid and shy, but now she’s loud and obnoxious. His head was spinning as he fumed angrily.

He hadn’t notice where his hooves were taking him, but suddenly found himself in one of the side hallways inside the castle. He gave out a sigh, trying to calm himself down as he looked around. There was an open guest room in front of him that looked inviting. For some reason, Sleepy Head felt drawn to the room. “Well, maybe I can evade Luna longer if I stay in this room for a bit. Just enough to cool down.” He peeked inside the room and found that it was in the same format as his room. It made sense, seeing as he was staying in a guest room too. He pushed the door open and trotted in.

“Luna… why are you so CRAZY?! You weren’t that crazy last night… what happened last night… my memory is still kind of fuzzy on that subject…” He let out a long breath and told himself to keep calm. “All of my questions will come to light eventually; I just have to be patient.”

Sleepy Head started studying his surroundings in hopes of calming his nerves. Something about this room seemed familiar, but he couldn’t quite place it yet. The bed looked exactly like his, only a little less fluffy. The curtains were made of fine silk and smooth to the touch. The dresser had a mirror on top of it, which was cleaned to perfection and he could see himself clearly. He noticed he still had mud on his mane and shook it off onto the wood floor. “Oh crap,” he thought, “The maids are gonna get pissed at me if I leave this here!” He quickly shoved it under the rug that was in the center of the floor.

Suddenly, something under the rug caught his eye. He threw the rug off and studied one of the wooden boards in the floor. One of the boards looked lighter and newer than the other ones around it. He rubbed the board with his hoof, drawn to it for some unknown reason.

Just then, somepony bumped into him from behind. He yelped and landed stomach first on the rough wooden boards. He flipped on his back to see who did it, clearly frustrated.

“Hey, watch where…” he trailed off as he looked at the figure in front of him. The moon cast too dull a light, and a silhouette of a dark pony stood above him.

“Ahh, sorry ‘bout that. And ah’m sorry ‘bout earlier, I just got carried away,” Luna said in a deep southern accent. Sleepy Head didn’t reply and just stared at her, mouth wide open.

“Uhh, ‘you alright hon?”

Everything came flooding back: the fight with Nightmare Moon, the horn that pierced the floor boards, his near-death experience. He remembered it all, but also understood another fact. It was so obvious; he wondered how he had missed it beforehand.

Sleepy Head rose with a grim expression. Luna took a step back when he rose, in mild fear of his attitude. His mane hung over his eyes as he spoke to the moon princess.

“It ok Luna, I just need to go to the bathroom. Where is it again?”

“Uhh, take a right and it’s the last left in the hallway. ‘You sure you’re alright?”

“I’m fine. Could you… wait in this room for me to come back?”

“Sure thing,” Sleepy Head began to trot out as Luna continued, “An’ I truly am sorry.”

The maroon stallion didn’t look back but raised his head and replied, “I know. Me too.” With that, he hurried away.

----------

“Celestia! Wake your sorry plot up!”

Princess Celestia rose sleepily from her bed and groaned, “Would you like to step outside and try that entrance again?”

“You’re a real piece of work, ya know that?” Sleepy Head retorted.

“What is troubling you, Sleepy Head?” The sun goddess was getting out of her bed, calm and collected.

“Wow, uhhh, I don’t know where to begin. So much crap has happened to me in the past two days that it’s hard to find somewhere to start!”

“Do tell,” she seemed cranky from being woken up in the middle of the night.

“Well, I just found out that your sister isn’t crazy. She’s WORSE than crazy! She has multiple personality disorder to the extreme! I’m pretty sure I’ve figured out why too!”

“Uh huh.”

“Well, this is just a guess, but I’m ninety-nine percent sure the Elements of Harmony didn’t defeat Nightmare Moon. The bearers of the Elements tried, but instead overshadowed Princess Luna with their personalities to keep Nightmare Moon at bay. But I’m sure you knew that and still preached on saying ‘she is vanquished forever’ or some bull crap like that.”

Princess Celestia laughed, “What makes you think Nightmare Moon is still alive, my little pony?”

“Oh, I dunno, maybe the fact that SHE TRIED TO KILL ME LAST NIGHT!!”

The princess paused and cocked an eyebrow at Sleepy Head. “I thought I made sure to wipe that memory from you.”

The maroon stallion was slightly surprised that she would just say that, but quickly collected himself. “Wow, you really are something else. Well, that’s it. I quit this job and I’m leaving tonight. You sisters sort out your own problems, I’m out.” With that, he started galloping out, but before he could get out the door, he suddenly stopped. He was moving his feet, but when he looked down, he noticed that he was floating in midair. Princess Celestia’s magic was surrounding him and blocking him from leaving.

“Now that… that we cannot have,” she said calmly. She floated over to where Sleepy Head was trapped in her magic snare.

“Let me go!” He tried to move away from her, but she just brought him closer to her face.

“So what? So you can burst out of here screaming ‘Nightmare Moon has returned!’ That would not be alright. You see, ponies are fickle beings. Just the hint of a rumor will alert the masses and spread chaos throughout Equestria.”

“You can’t… trap… me here.” Sleepy Head was finding it hard to move his mouth as the magic surrounding him tightened its grip.

“Haha, of course I can. Think about who you are talking to, silly pony.”

“You… you won’t get… away with this!”

“Get away with what? Saving the people of Equestria from mass panic? How about saving you from being called a lunatic, but seeing as you already ARE called a lunatic, nothing much would change,” she said with a grin. Sleepy Head mustered up the courage and spat in the princess’s face. When she was hit with it, she recoiled back in disgust. Her calm demeanor quickly faded to a rage and she slammed the maroon stallion into the wall. The force of the blow knocked the wind out of Sleepy Head and his body went limp as he tried to stay conscious.

“Listen up you ungrateful little punk, if it weren’t for me you’d still be a lazy little bum, rotting in the slums of Ponyville. It took all my tolerance just to recruit you for this job. You’re lazy, stubborn, self-centered, hateful, childish, and basically the scum of the Earth pony race. You’re so lazy, even when you’re presented with the best job in Equestria, you probably still would have rejected it! If I hadn’t hit you with that anxiety spell, who knows if you would have actually come!”

Sleepy Head remembered his breakdown at the beginning of this journey. “YOU! You did that to me? I passed out because of that!”

She ignored him, “And after two days… TWO DAYS, you barge in my room and say your leaving? I thought bringing you here would help my sister with her… problem, but it seems to only gotten worse. I mean, you have the cutie mark and everything!”

“I almost died! TWICE! And problem? How could I have possibly known your sister was a deranged psycho housing a demon?”

“Ohh, shut your mouth!” Her magic vanished around him and he fell to the ground in a heap. Though he wanted to run, his body was too hurt to even stand. Princess Celestia was collecting herself as Sleepy Head caught his breath. “Now… you are staying here, whether you like it or not. Do not try to leave, because you will only get yourself in trouble with the guards. From this day on, your job has changed. You are to accompany my sister and help her keep control of her body as I find out what to do next.”

“And how long will that take?”

“As long as it takes!”

Sleepy Head had made up his mind; she’s the scarier of the two sisters. He laid on her carpet trying to move, but his body wouldn’t listen to him. Princess Celestia saw that and rolled her eyes in frustrated disgust.

“Oh, get up!” She opened her balcony and threw his limp body out into the night air. The moon and star’s glow enveloped the stallion and made his body quiver. In a few seconds, he was groaning and standing up gingerly. He slowly trotted toward the door, making sure he glared at Princess Celestia on his way out.

He was outside the door when the princess called his name. Reluctantly, he turned his gaze toward her smiling face.

“Oh, and I would keep my sister in the dark if I were you. Who knows what might happen if she actually knew Nightmare Moon was still inside her.”

And with that, she used her magic and slammed the door in Sleepy Head’s face.