• Published 25th May 2012
  • 681 Views, 2 Comments

Don't Stop Believing - Mitslits



Dawn's Glow and Indigo Moon are two very different ponies. Find out what happens when they come together. Follow their story as it is told t

  • ...
 2
 681

Up and Down the Boulevard

Up and Down the Boulevard

Dawn levitated the hat out of the door and followed it, Indy following her. They walked to the bakery and trotted calmly through the door. Indigo swept the money out of his hat with his magic and sent the brown leather cowboy hat over to the waiting orange pony.

"Well, Ah thank ya kindly, fer returnin' mah hat to me. Dunno where ya'll got the money, but Ah wish ya the best", Applejack told them, placing the hat on her head.

The two unicorns, pelts slightly brushing, walked out of the door with the bits and headed for the hotel.

Swifty stared up at the gray blanket of clouds covering the sky. Behind her came the sounds of tears, but still she did not cry. Early Bird came up to stand with her and he too looked up at the sky. "We'll remember her always." He swung his head down to stare at her. "But ya know Dawn shoulda bin here. 'Specially for this."

The gray unicorn shook her head. "She's doin' all she can for us. You know that as well as Ah do, Early. We should start." With that, she turned to face two colts standing nearby. She nodded to them and they began moving.

Mamma threw a bouquet of roses onto the black coffin as it slowly passed by the weeping family. It traveled up and down the boulevard until it finally disappeared over the hill to where a freshly dug grave was waiting.

For the first time, a tear rolled down Swifty's face. She turned away. She couldn't watch.

Dawn's Glow stared triumphantly at River Song, bits hanging in the air beside her, horn faintly glowing. "There's enough here to pay for both doors and our stay."

The tan pegasus counted out the bits. "Seems your right. Leave them my desk and get out of my hotel", River told her harshly. She turned and refused to look at her again.

The cream unicorn trotted down the stairs and gently set the bits down on the old desk near the front of the hotel. She proceeded outside where Indigo Moon was waiting for her. "The bits are on the desk. Well", she amended, "all except two." Dawn stared out over the river, not blinking. "Thank you", she said, after a minute or two of silence.

Indy tipped his head to one said, also looking at the calm blue of the river. "For what, Dawn?"

Dawn gave a small laugh. "Just for being you, actually. For letting me cry all over you, and dump my problems on you. I'm sorry for all that, by the way."

"Thank you for dumping them on me", Indy laughed. "I really do appreciate it. You get lonely after years on the street."

Dawn glanced at him, a puzzled look on her face. "What about Horizon?"

"Ponies don't last forever", he said simply. Dawn didn't press. Instead she pressed closer to him. Indigo Moon leaned his head on hers and the two took a simple comfort in the love of another.

The Doctor watched from a distance and exhaled in relief. He turned to his companion. "I have to admit, River, I didn't think your plans were going to work. Is locking them in their rooms really protocol?"

River Song winked. "Psychic paper, sweetie. Gets 'em every time."

The Doctor nodded once and looked back at the couple near the river. Dawn was laughing again. He smiled. They were a good match. His thoughts turned to anxious ones. But would they last?

The sun had set and the stars had risen. The moon looked down on a blue unicorn and a cream one, talking while bathed in its light.

Dawn looked down at her hooves and then she met Indigo's gaze once more. "Indy...I wanted to tell you another thing."

Indigo glanced gently down at her. "And what is that?

Dawn looked him right in the eyes and smiled. "You'll have to catch me first." With that, she took off running up and down the boulevard, shadowed by Indigo Moon.

Indy put on a burst of speed and caught up Dawn. He flew past her and then darted in front of her. They were both laughing at this point and they slowly made their way back to the river. Indigo Moon threw his hooves around her neck, balancing on his back hooves. His lips moved close to Dawn's ear. "Caught you", he whispered, before dropping back onto all four hooves.

Dawn's Glow laughed. She looked tenderly into his eyes. "And now for my end of the bargain." She stretched her neck until she was whispering into his ear.

Indigo's eyes widened and he stared at her in surprise. Then his look softened. He smiled gently down at Dawn. "I love you too." And with that, he pressed his lips to hers.

Dawn started in surprise and then her eyes closed, and she melted into the kiss.

The Doctor turned his head and smiled to himself. "Oh yes", he thought. They would last.