• Published 25th May 2012
  • 680 Views, 2 Comments

Don't Stop Believing - Mitslits



Dawn's Glow and Indigo Moon are two very different ponies. Find out what happens when they come together. Follow their story as it is told t

  • ...
 2
 680

It Goes On and On and On and On

It Goes On and On and On and On

Swifty burst through the ratty screen door. She swung her head around and sent a beseeching glance at a matronly sky blue unicorn who had just emerged from the hallway.

"No, don't worry. There's still time yet", the light blue unicorn reassured Swifty. "But come. It will be soon.

The gray unicorn followed the other into a small, crowded room. Her eyes took in a large yellow stallion standing next to a crimson unicorn. She nodded at them. "Early Bird, Rushing Flow." They nodded in return and her eyes soon moved to two young colts. One was a deep earthy brown and the other a dark red. "Hey there, Plow, Harvest." One waved a hello, the other hung his head, vainly striving to hide his tears. Swifty glanced at him sympathetically. Then her eyes finally settled on the seafoam green figure on the bed.

Tide Dancer looked up from her prostate position and managed to fix a wan smile on her face at the sight of Swifty. "S-Swifty." Even that small phrase left her trembling and out of breath. "Listen. T-Tell Dawn I-I miss her. Okay? Just tell h-her that, and I'll d-die happy."

Swifty placed her light gray hoof over her dying sister's. "I will", she promised. The tears had not yet come, but they were there. Pushing. Insistent. "No", Swifty thought. "I'll be strong for her. She needs me to be strong." Swifty gulped, swallowing the pinpricks. "I'll tell her."

Tide smiled and closed her eyes. "That's it. Sh-shows over, folks." She could barely raise her hoof in a final salute. The sun shone brightly on the now weeping family.

All except Swifty. Swifty stared at her sister's closed eyes, knew they would never open again, and accepted it. She had to be strong. She would be strong. For her family. For Tide Dancer. She looked up into the sun. "Life goes on", she whispered.

"NO!" Dawn's Glow screamed, bolting upright in her bed. She rubbed her eyes with a hoof. She tried to tell herself it was a dream, but she didn't quite manage to convince herself. Tears ran freely down her face and Dawn dropped her face into her hooves, sobs wracking her body.

Indigo was heading back to his room from the water trough when he passed by Dawn's door. He paused at the sound of sobbing emitting from behind the plank of wood. Hesitantly, Indigo raised his hoof and knocked on the door. "It's Indy."

"C-Come in", a choked voice called out.

Indigo opened the door to see a wrecked unicorn crying into her pillow. "What's wrong?" he asked, racing up to her side. "What happened?"

Dawn slowly met Indigo's eyes. "My sister...is dead", she cried.

Indy closed his eyes for a moment. "I am so, so sorry", he told her. He stayed there until she quieted down. "You should get some sleep", he suggested. She nodded and laid her head on her pillow. Indigo Moon pulled the covers up to her chin. He softly kissed her forehead and whispered in her ear. "Life goes on." He returned to his own room.

Dawn snuggled down into her covers. "Life goes on", she repeated.