• Published 3rd Dec 2023
  • 232 Views, 44 Comments

Paul's Friendship Collection - PaulAsaran



An anthology of 500-word shorts in which assorted characters interact, one way or another.

  • ...
1
 44
 232

Bonfire of Friendship (Derpy X Fleur de Lis)

Derpy Hooves arrived on time every year like clockwork. It had been a shock at the start, then a nuisance. Now?

It was the highlight of Fleur de Lis's year.

She had started making the arrangements by the fifth year. The full shipment, brought directly to Fleur's winter house in the forested hills outside Trottingham all at once. She'd had a small clearing made in the spacious back yard, complete with a concrete landing zone. And then, every year on the 14th of February, Derpy arrived, carting along a wagon five times larger than the norm and filled to bursting with letters, gifts and candies.

Fleur liked to get into the spirit of things, donning the customized, fitted uniform of a runway marshaller and waving glowing red and green wands in her magical aura. The two of them worked together to get the cargo positioned just right. Then, at Fleur's signal, Derpy delivered a solid buck to the wagon, which dropped all of it in a massive pile on the concrete.

The next step was actually much easier, despite appearances: they gathered pre-prepared logs and piled them atop and around the big dump of confectionery garbage. With Derpy hauling one side and Fleur's magic the other, each log was moved with care and precision based on rigorous study for the latter and Filly Scout experience for the former. Within a couple hours of Derpy's arrival, the candy was hardy even visible anymore.

And then the two would retire to the manor, where Fleur would don her companion in the latest high fashion – this year from mutual ally Rarity, who was very much onboard with the whole scheme despite having never been present. They did one another's manes, gave each other pedicures, and Derpy got to indulge in some of the finest wing-care products on the market. While this was going on the two unabashedly shared stories of the past year, things they missed or chose not to bring up until now, when the timing and audience was absolutely perfect.

It had all started with a mutual breakdown. On one side, too much objectification, too much unearned praise, too much attention of the wrong sort. On the other side, too much condescension, no praise at all, and too much attention of an entirely different but still wholly wrong sort. Two mares bonding over a holiday that was little more than a reminder of what they didn't want. Bonding became a friendship; friendship had built a tradition.

And so the tradition continued that twilight, with two mares sitting on the manor's back veranda in gala dresses while the unicorn between them set the spark. Within seconds, all the undesired displays of false, petty affection became fuel for the fire. They ate the heart-shaped chocolates that they'd bought with their own hard-earned bits and clinked wine glasses together in a toast of friendship, camaraderie, and another year survived. To the awakening stars and moon they lifted their playful curse:

"Stallions: who needs them!"

Author's Note:

As soon as I saw these two selected as today's pairing, I knew I had to do something. But what? I pondered on it for a while before realizing: Fleur, as a famous modelling icon, would undoubtedly have tons of admirers who would almost certainly send her tons of letters, chocolates, and other goodies, especially on Hearts n' Hooves Day. Somepony has to deliver those, right?

And then I thought it would be fun if Fleur and Derpy bonded specifically over their issues with the opposite sex.

And then I thought: How can I give this the silly S1-S3 show treatment?