• Published 19th Oct 2023
  • 1,931 Views, 101 Comments

My new Changeling life - Leonedavis



Imprisoned in a life marked by solitude and monotony, he sees his existence shift into a surreal strangeness. A new opportunity to become someone better and happier ?

  • ...
11
 101
 1,931

16 Peaceful journey

I whistled softly as I entered through the door, my eyes fixed on the list that Griff had entrusted to me. The idea of tasting the special blend with Onyx later in the day was already making my mouth water.

The transport wagon was nearly deserted. I easily spotted the crate, its contents consisting of small barrels, each about five liters. To ensure they were full, I tapped a few before carefully closing the crate.

Next, I headed to the seat assigned to me at the front of the vehicle. Sitting comfortably on a faux-leather bench, I closed my eyes slightly, immersing myself in the faint creaking of the leather. "I still prefer a roof, though."

I relaxed as the first passengers began to board. Wrapped lightly in my coat, I hoped to exude a mysterious air as footsteps approached the area where I had settled.

Someone took a seat next to me. "I'd tell you to stick close to me, but I know two individuals who would object."

"I know one of them, but who's the other, your special mare?" I opened my eyes, amused, to see her looking at the ceiling with a smile.

"That's close enough, and Bulky?" Noticing a small red suitcase at her hooves, a part of me hoped it contained warm clothing.

Isao let out a long sigh. "In the dining car."

I looked at her with amusement. "I'm sure they've already set out in search of desserts."

She burst into laughter, confirming my assumption. "Very likely. Bulky has a particular passion for pastries."

The train emitted a slight rumble as it began to move. A tinge of excitement rose within me at the prospect of this new adventure.

"Ready for this journey?" I asked, glancing at the red suitcase by her feet.

She nodded with a smile. "More than ready. And you?"

I returned her smile. "Always ready for adventure." Then, I turned slightly toward her. "I hope you brought warm clothes."

She tapped her suitcase with the tip of one of her claws. "I'm not foolish, Mr. Adventurer."

I couldn't help but have a sly smile. "Until proven otherwise, and Bulky?"

Isao quickly ran a hoof behind her head. "She's a peculiar unicorn."

"You reassure me." My sly smile turned into a slight grimace.

The rumbling of the train intensified as we departed from the capital. Isao and I were engrossed in a friendly conversation when the door suddenly swung open, revealing Bulky with a pink suitcase on her back and triangular sandwiches held in levitation. "I brought cheese and salad sandwiches, and some cupcakes too."

I looked at her with a smile as she took a seat across from me. "You know how to satisfy a stallion."

She glanced at me, sliding a green sandwich my way. "It just means you're not picky." The griffon beside me chuckled lightly.

I took a light bite, savoring the taste of cheese and hay before responding, "We'll talk about it when it comes time to move something heavy."

From the corner of my eye, I saw Isao move to sit in front of me, looking particularly amused as she lazily placed her paw on the table, ready for an arm wrestle. "But of course."

A mischievous smile stretched across my lips as I replied challengingly, accepting her invitation with a nod. "Did I touch a nerve?" I positioned my hoof confidently, ready to take on the challenge.

I instantly felt the tension in her muscles as she remained resolutely firm. An exchange of strength ensued, where I skillfully played with her power, letting myself slide slightly before regaining the advantage. She demonstrated undeniable strength, but it was clear she couldn't currently compete with me.

I looked her in the eyes, using a bit more force, making her yield little by little. "Alright, Thunder, I'm sure I can let you handle the crate upon our arrival."

I chuckled slightly as I won. "Darn, I fell into the trap. I'll get some fresh air."

Bulky looked at me, blinking several times as I opened the window. "We're at full speed..."

I gave her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, I just need to beat my wings quickly."

Leaning on the window ledge, I felt the wind rush into the cabin. Then, with a slight movement, I jumped over the edge, unfolding my wings to land on the roof of the cabin.

The blue sky stretched above me, scattered with clouds of various shapes. The fresh wind caressed my coat as the sound of the train speeding through the landscape filled the air.

I took a deep breath, relishing the feeling of freedom as I stood there. The scenery of the plains swiftly passed around me, enjoying it while not knowing how much time I had before the cold started to set in.


I had spent about an hour on the roof before making my way to the back of the train. Jumping from wagon to wagon, I enjoyed feeling the rhythmic motion of the train under my hooves.

The night wind whistled in my ears, adding an extra dimension to the thrill of this impromptu adventure. Every leap from wagon to wagon was an exhilarating experience, a dance with the train's speed.

Eventually, I gracefully dropped down at the entrance of the transport wagon, checking the cabin before returning to my place through the roofs. My abrupt arrival startled Bulky, who was half-dozing on Isao's shoulder.

I smiled slightly. "The cargo is still intact. I think I'll rest a bit."

The griffon sighed lightly. "You know how to make an entrance." I just smiled, closing my coat around me and lowering my chapka before closing my eyes to rest.

I heard Isao and Bulky murmuring to each other, but I couldn't catch their words as sleep took over.


I awoke abruptly, my senses on high alert. The train had come to a sudden stop, breaking the tranquility of my rest. The familiar vibrations were replaced by an unsettling stillness. The electric tension in the air was palpable.

My gaze wandered through the window into the darkness; night had fallen, searching for clues about the reason for this sudden halt. Isao and Bulky were now fully awake as well, their expressions betraying a certain apprehension.

"What's happening?" I asked in a low voice as I stood up.

Isao shrugged. "I have no idea. This doesn't seem like a planned stop." Bulky, on the other hand, did not seem reassured.

I heard other passengers murmuring amongst themselves. I stretched with a slight crackling noise. "I'll see what's going on." Part of me prepared for combat as I passed through the window again.

I slipped silently outside the wagon, landing with agility on the train's roof. The night's coolness enveloped me as I moved towards the front of the convoy, looking for signs of what might have caused this unexpected stop.

The wind gently blew against my fur as I progressed cautiously. The shifting shadows of trees scrolled through the darkness, adding to the mysterious atmosphere of the night.

Suddenly, I spotted a dark silhouette in the distance, near the tracks. I approached cautiously, hiding behind a tangle of cables and pipes on the wagon's roof before dropping into the conductor's compartment.

The conductor seemed agitated. From my position, I saw something on the tracks: a lion with bat wings and a scorpion tail, a manticore that seemed to be challenging the train.

A smile appeared on my face as I landed next to the sweating conductor. "I'll handle this; get ready to restart the train."

He jumped, turning his head towards me. "Are you crazy? This creature can easily defeat you."

I dropped my coat and placed my chapka in the conductor's compartment. "Who decided that?" I took off without hearing the conductor's response, landing in front of the train.

The creature, imposing and threatening, roared towards the train. Its gaze met mine, and a thrill of excitement ran through me. It was time for action.

The Manticore stood on its hind legs, ready to roar. Seizing the opportunity, I charged at full speed, colliding violently with its chest. Its roar turned into a muffled cry as it fell heavily on its back. Taking advantage of this opportunity, I pushed off its belly to propel myself backward.

Landing on my feet outside the tracks, I watched the creature rise. I took a step back, positioning myself with my back against a tree. As the creature charged, I tried to roll to the side, but it managed to deliver a massive paw strike, throwing me to the ground, while it collided with the tree with a cracking sound.

I quickly got up, taking flight to see an enraged manticore flying after me with roars. Maybe I had overestimated myself...

I flew as fast as possible through the trees lining the track, while the pursuing monster collided with everything, letting out increasingly loud roars. I took a deep breath before gaining as much altitude as possible, the manticore still behind me.

I descended in a dive, aiming for the manticore's right wing with both of my front hooves!

I struck the manticore's right wing with calculated precision, and a cry of pain echoed through the forest. The creature staggered in the air, unable to maintain stable flight. Taking advantage of its momentary vulnerability, I pounced on it, grabbing its wings with my hooves, causing us to fall rapidly.

In a desperate move, it swung its tail in my direction. I barely had time to dodge it, but the sharp tip grazed my flank, leaving a painful cut.

As the ground continued to approach, I hit the back of the manticore's head before taking off from its back. Its tail left a new cut on my belly this time.

The manticore crashed to the ground with a massive noise, and I dropped next to it, wings spread and out of breath, the creature seeming knock out.

I stood up gracefully before staggering towards the front of the train, which was a bit far. The driver looked at me, his jaw ready to drop. "We can go now," I said as calmly as possible, retrieving my belongings before taking the numerous doors to return to my seat, my head spinning slightly.

I sat quietly in my place, Isao and Bulky looking at me strangely while the train resumed its journey.

Bulky looked at me oddly, "So, what was that?"

I smiled slightly, "Just a Manticore. I took care of it."

They both asked in unison, "You what ?!" I gave them a amused smile despite the fact that my wounds were stinging slightly.