• Published 6th Oct 2023
  • 519 Views, 25 Comments

The Return of King Sombra - Dragon-Master-31



King Sombra returns to Equestria and he plans to get his revenge on the Princess of Friendship. However, unlike every other villain before him, Sombra has a plan...

  • ...
1
 25
 519

Day Out in Ponyville

Ponyville, The Next Morning...







Mornings were always so lovely in Ponyville. The sun shined brightly over the town, the birds sang their beautiful songs, ponies went about their daily lives with a cheery attitude. Twilight Sparkle was out and about taking a stroll through the streets of Ponyville. There wasn't much else to do that day anyway. School was out for break, there were no friendship problems to solve, and there was no books to read. Well, technically there was, but Spike had somehow managed to convince Twilight to take a break from reading and enjoy the day. Twilight was happily enjoying her stroll as she walked through the streets of Ponyville when she saw Rarity's boutique and decided to pay her a visit. Rarity was working on one of her dresses when the bells on her front door rang, notifying her that a customer had entered the boutique.



“Welcome to the Carousel Boutique, where everything is-oh, Twilight, what a surprise.” Rarity said, not expecting Twilight to show up.



“Hi Rarity, oh I see you're busy. I hope I'm not interrupting anything. I can come back later if-.”



“Oh, no not at all, darling.” Rarity said as she set her sewing materials on the table and walked over to Twilight, putting her hoof on her shoulder, guiding her inside the boutique. “It's nothing too important really. You're more than welcome here.” Rarity said.



“Thank you, Rarity. Wow, that's a really nice dress, who’s it for?” Twilight asked as she examined the dress on the table.



“Oh, this is one of Lyra's dresses. Bon Bon brought it in earlier today. Apparently, Lyra ripped it while doing an odd dance of some sort. Something about standing on her hind legs and doing some odd spinning motions with her front hooves or something.” Rarity explained.



“That's... interesting.” Twilight said, having an idea of what Lyra was trying to do.



Twilight had remembered a few of the students at Canterlot High doing a similar dance during the Fall Formal incident in the mirror world. She wasn't sure how Lyra knew the dance, but it was probably best not to question it.



“Yes, it is. Anyways, what can I help you with today?” Rarity asked.



“Oh, well I don't really need anything. I figured I'd pay you visit and see if you needed any help.” Twilight said.



“My how very kind of you, Twilight.” Rarity said. “Now that you mention it, there is something I could use your help with.” Rarity said as she smirked.



“Oh, well I'm more than happy to help you with whatever you need, Rarity.” Twilight said as she was prepared to assist her friend.







Sometime Later







“(Sigh) I should have known this was going to happen.” Twilight groaned as she was having her measurements taken while wearing a dress that Rarity had made her put on.



“Careful not to move too much, I'm almost done.” Rarity said as she continued to take Twilight's measurements.



“That's what you said like ten minutes ago.” Twilight said as she tried to keep her wings stretched out so Rarity could finish up.



“Now, now, darling, patience is a virtue.” Rarity replied, adjusting her glasses.



“So, uh, where's Opalescence?” Twilight asked, trying to find some way to entertain herself while her wings were getting very sore.



“Opal? Oh, don't worry about her darling. Fluttershy should be bringing her back today from her grooming.” Rarity replied, still focusing on the dress.



“That's good. Oh, speaking of today, are you going to see the presentation today, Rarity?” Twilight asked.



“Are you talking about the presentation that will be taking place at Doctor Whooves's lab this afternoon? Yes, I am, why do you ask?” Rarity asked, her eyebrow raising slightly.



“Well, I was wondering if you're curious about what new invention Doctor Whooves is going to be showing to the town.” Twilight said.



“While science and technology aren't my main interests, I will admit that I am very much curious about this new invention.” Rarity replied.



“I for one am very excited to see what the Doctor has in store for us! I mean, nearly every one of Doctor Whooves’s inventions has blown me away! They’re so fascinating and so scientifically creative! Well aside from his Psychic Paper. I'm not so sure what was so special about that one.” Twilight said.



“I heard that out of all the inventions the good Doctor has shown us, there is only one pony in all of Equestria that has ever seen what he calls his greatest invention of all time.” Rarity said.



“What?! His greatest invention of all time!? Who? Who’s the pony who saw it?!” Twilight asked, trying her best not to move or jolt out of shock.



“(Giggle) Who do you think, darling?” Rarity asked with a smirk. “Think about it, who is the one pony who, when she isn’t doing her job, is spending most of her time with the Doctor?”



“Hmmm…. (Gasp) Derpy! Derpy Hooves!” Twilight cried with the sudden realization.



“(Giggle) Yes, that's right, darling, but we can talk more on that subject another time. For now, though, I would like to ask, do you have any plans for tonight?” Rarity asked.



“Uh, no, I don't really have any plans. Why? Did you have something in mind?” Twilight asked.



“As a matter of fact, I do. I was wondering if you would like to have a sleepover tonight.” Rarity said.



“That sounds like a great idea! Of course, I'd like to have a sleepover, Rarity.” Twilight said happily.



“That's wonderful, darling. Of course, we will also invite the rest of our-.” Rarity said before Fluttershy entered the boutique.



“Hello, Rarity? Oh, hey girls.” Fluttershy said as she walked in the store, holding the handle of a small basket with her left wing.



“Hey Fluttershy, it's good to see you.” Twilight said, giving Fluttershy a smile.



“It's nice to see you as well, Twilight.” Fluttershy replied with a smile. “Oh, and I brought Opalescence back, Rarity.” Fluttershy said, setting the basket on the floor and gently removing the little blanket that covered it.



“(Meow) Finally home.” Opalescence meowed as she hopped out of the little basket.



“My, my Opal, you look so lovely.” Rarity said as Opalescence rubbed against Fluttershy's leg.



“(Meow) Yes, I know. Now if you will excuse me, it's time for my nap.” Opalescence meowed as she walked over to Rarity, rubbed against her leg for a moment, and then headed off to find a comfortable spot to take a nap.



“Thank you so much, Fluttershy. You know I would gladly take Opal to the groomers myself, but I always seem to have something keeping me busy.” Rarity said, giving Fluttershy an apologetic look.



“Oh, that's okay Rarity. I don't mind at all. It's nice to be able to help out one of my best friends.” Fluttershy said.



“(Giggle) It's no wonder you're the element of kindness. You truly are one of the kindest ponies in all of Equestria.” Rarity said.



“Aww, thank you Rarity.” Fluttershy replied.



“You actually came at the perfect time. You see, I was just asking Twilight if she wanted to have a slumber party tonight. Would you care to join us?” Rarity asked.



“Oh, that sounds wonderful! I’m more than happy to join you girls.” Fluttershy said as she flapped her wings with excitement. “Where are we having it?”



“Why don't we have it at my castle? I’m sure Spike and Starlight won’t mind. In fact, I bet they would be more than happy to join in. Well, maybe not Spike, but Starlight will be delighted to join us.” Twilight said.



“Then it's settled then. We'll have a girl’s night at Twilight's castle.” Rarity announced proudly.



“What time should we head over?” Fluttershy asked.



“Hmm, well are you going to the presentation today, Fluttershy?” Twilight asked.



“I am, and so are the others.” Fluttershy replied.



“That's perfect! Why don't we all head over to the castle after the presentation this afternoon?” Twilight suggested.



“I shouldn't have any more appointments today, so that is just fine with me.” Rarity said.



“I'm sure I can get Discord to help watch over the animals at the sanctuary while I'm gone.” Fluttershy said, causing the others to have worried looks on their faces.



“Uh, are you sure that's a good idea, Fluttershy? I know Discord isn't evil anymore but is it really smart to leave him in charge of the sanctuary?” Twilight asked.



“There's nothing to worry about, Twilight. I've put Discord in charge of my sanctuary before and everything worked out just fine. Besides, Discord promised that he wouldn't use any of his chaos magic on my sweet animals.” Fluttershy said.



“Well, if that's the case then, it sounds like we're all good with the plan.” Twilight said.



“Yes indeed, now stay still for just a moment, Twilight. I need to remove your dress.” Rarity said as she used her magic to remove the dress Twilight was wearing and placed it on the rack with the other dresses.



“(Sigh) Finally.” Twilight said as she flapped her wings a bit, letting them relax a bit. “Well, I better go find the others and tell them about our plan. Bye Rarity, bye Fluttershy.” Twilight said as she quickly left the boutique before Rarity could even think of fitting her for another dress.



“Twilight must be really excited for our sleepover.” Fluttershy said, noting how quickly her friend left the boutique.



“Indeed, she is. Oh, Fluttershy darling, could you help me with something?” Rarity asked.



“Of course. What do you need help with?” Fluttershy asked as she walked over to Rarity, unaware that she too was about to suffer the same fate Twilight had earlier.





Twilight's search for her friends eventually led her to the shopping area of Ponyville. There were lots of booths and stands open, selling their own unique items. As Twilight looked around the shopping area, she spotted Applejack standing by a cart filled with delicious looking apples. Twilight smiled as she made her way over to Applejack.



“Apples! Get your fresh apples here! Oh, howdy there, Twilight.” Applejack said as Twilight walked over to her.



“Hey, Applejack, how's business?” Twilight asked.



“Oh, it's going just dandy.” Applejack replied with a proud grin.



“That's great to hear. Where's Applebloom? Is she not helping you out today?” Twilight asked, looking around for Applejack's little sister.



“I'm on my own for today. Applebloom said that she and her other friends had some very important things to take care of. It ain't that big a deal, I can handle selling apples by myself.” Applejack said.



“(Giggle) Well, I'm sure those three fillies are putting their best effort in whatever it is they're working on.” Twilight said as they shared a laugh. “By the way, are you free tonight?”



“Hmm, I suppose I am. Got nothing planned really, why?” Applejack asked.



“Well, I was visiting Rarity earlier and she suggested that we have a slumber party tonight. Fluttershy was also there, and she agreed to come with us. Do you want to join us?” Twilight asked.



“Oh, I'll definitely be there. It's been too long since we last had ourselves a nice get together, what with the threats that keep showing up in Equestria and all.” Applejack said.



“Oh, that's fantastic! The plan is to head to the castle after the presentation. How's that sound?” Twilight asked.



“Fine by me. I can't wait.” Applejack said.



“Me neither! I'll see you at the presentation, I'm gonna find Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. Bye Applejack.” Twilight said as she began to walk away.



“Bye Twilight, see ya later!” Applejack said as she waved goodbye to her friend before going back to selling apples.





Twilight walked through the streets of Ponyville, searching for her friends. She had already checked Sugarcube Corner for Pinkie Pie, but Mr. Cake told her that Pinkie had left with Rainbow Dash for some fun. Twilight had to ask quite a few ponies on the whereabouts of her friends, but no pony knew where they were. As Twilight was about to go into one of the stores, she spotted something out of the corner of her eye. Twilight turned her head and saw Rainbow Dash, hiding around a corner, seemingly waiting for somepony while holding a pie. Twilight frowned and shook her head with disappointment. It seemed that Rainbow Dash was back to pulling her pranks again.



“Heh, heh, this is gonna be so good!” Rainbow Dash said as she grinned smugly.



“Hello, Rainbow Dash.” Twilight said, startling Rainbow Dash so much that she almost dropped the pie she was holding.



“Gah! Oh, uh, hey Twilight, what's up?” Rainbow Dash asked as she chuckled nervously.



“Oh, not much. How about you? What are YOU up to? You're not back to pranking ponies, are you?” Twilight asked.



“What? No! I was just uh.... a-about to eat this yummy pie.” Rainbow Dash said as she held out the pie in front of Twilight's face.



Twilight raised her eyebrow suspiciously. She knew for a fact that Rainbow Dash would never eat a pie in her life, considering the fact that she didn’t like them in the first place.



“Ugh! Fine! But seriously, what's wrong with an occasional prank? It's nothing like the cookie pandemic, I swear!” Rainbow Dash said.



“Rainbow Dash, I thought you promised to stop doing this.” Twilight said.



“I know, I know, but just hear me out, please?” Rainbow Dash asked.



“(Groan) Fine, what do you plan to do this time?” Twilight reluctantly asked.



“Heh, heh, well, I'm gonna pie Pinkie Pie!” Rainbow Dash proclaimed, once again holding the pie in front of Twilight's face.



“You're going to... pie... Pinkie Pie?” Twilight asked, tilting her head.



“Obviously I'm gonna smash this pie into her face, duh!” Rainbow Dash said.



“But won't that hurt her?” Twilight asked.



“Oh, come on, Twilight. Pinkie literally eats the wrappers with her cupcakes, she can punch through solid ground with her bare hooves, and you're asking me if a pie in the face will hurt her?” Rainbow Dash asked.



“Uhh… yeah?” Twilight said, awkwardly shrugging her shoulders.



“HEY RAINBOW DASH!!” Pinkie Pie shouted as she popped out from around the corner, scaring both of her friends so much that Rainbow Dash accidentally tossed the pie at Twilight's face.



With Twilight getting pied in the face, Rainbow Dash tried hard to hold back her laughter, failing miserably as she fell to the floor, laughing so much that tears formed in her eyes. Twilight, meanwhile, was not amused in the slightest as pie residue dripped from her face.



“Oh hi, Twilight! Wow, I know you like pie and all, but I didn't know you enjoyed shoving your face into one.” Pinkie Pie said with a giggle.



“Yeah… it's such a joy.” Twilight said, as she shook off as much pie as she could, using her magic to deal with the rest.



“(Laughs) That was so funny! Sorry Twilight, I just can't stop!” Rainbow Dash said as she kept on laughing.



“(Giggle) So, what did you have to show me, Dashie?” Pinkie Pie asked.



“Well, I was going to pie you in the face, but I guess you saw what happened to the pie I was going to use.” Rainbow Dash said, finally calming down.



“Oh! So, Twilight got pranked?! Oh, silly Twilight, that pie was for me.” Pinkie Pie said as she playfully nudged Twilight.



“Trust me Pinkie, I didn't want the pie in the first place.” Twilight said. “Anyway, what have you two been up to all morning?”



“We've been having lots of fun! Rainbow Dash has been pranking me all morning! You should have been with us earlier; it was so funny!” Pinkie Pie said.



“See, Twilight? I'm only pranking Pinkie Pie, she likes it.” Rainbow Dash said.



“Well, okay, if you say so.” Twilight said, kicking away some of the pie on the ground close to her hooves. “Despite the unwanted pie I received, I'm glad I found you two.”



“Really? Why? (Gasp) Do you want to join in on our pranking game!?” Pinkie Pie asked excitedly as she put on a wide smile.



“Not quite, I've been looking for you two all over town because we're having a sleepover at my castle tonight. I was wondering if you would like to join us.” Twilight said.



“Are you kidding!? I'll totally be there! You can bet on that!” Rainbow Dash said.



“That's great! What about you, Pinkie?” Twilight asked.



“Hmm, I don't know, let me check my schedule.” Pinkie Pie said as she pulled out a small little notepad from her mane and started to read it closely.



After a few short moments, Pinkie Pie put the notepad back into her mane and bounced happily with a big smile on her face.



“Yup! All free! I can't wait to go!” Pinkie Pie said happily.



“Well, you won't have to wait too long. The plan is to head to the castle after the presentation today. Is that okay for the both of you?” Twilight asked.



“You bet!” Rainbow Dash said.



“Hey! Why don't we go see the Doctor early? Maybe he'll let us have a peek at his invention!” Pinkie Pie suggested.



“I don't know about that, Pinkie. Doctor Whooves is probably very busy preparing his invention. It would be quite rude to just barge in.” Twilight said.



“Great idea Pinkie! Plus, I've got a serious question for our good Doctor! I'll get the others! See ya at the lab!” Rainbow Dash said as she flew away, not giving Twilight any chance to argue with her.



“Wait, Rainbow! (Sigh) I guess we're really doing this. Come on Pinkie, let's go.” Twilight said as they headed over to Doctor Whooves's lab.



“Off to see the Doctor! Off to see the Doctor! Off to see the Doctor! The Doctor of time!” Pinkie Pie sang as she bounced.



“Huh? Doctor of time?” Twilight said, very confused.



“Yep! That’s Doctor Whooves’s title! Well, at least that’s one of his titles. He’s got a lot if you read about who his character is based off.” Pinkie Pie said.



“What?” Twilight asked, not understanding a word that Pinkie had just said to her.



“Come on, Twilight! We’ve got to get to the Doctor!” Pinkie Pie said as she continued to sing her little song.



“Heh, classic Pinkie Pie.” Twilight said with a smile on her face as she rolled her eyes a bit.





A little while later, Twilight and Pinkie Pie arrived at Doctor Whooves’s laboratory, the rest of their friends showing up minutes later.



“Great, everypony is here.” Rainbow Dash said, doing a proud flip in the air.



“Rainbow, darling, I really don’t think this is an appropriate thing to be doing. Interrupting the good Doctor while he is busy is rather rude. I am sure we will have plenty of time to speak with him after the presentation.” Rarity said.



“Well, yeah I know that, but this is really important to me!” Rainbow Dash said.



“What is? Getting a chance to take a peek at the Doctor's invention before anypony else?” Applejack asked.



“That's what Pinkie Pie wants; I have to see him now! I've got a big question for him, and I can't wait any longer!” Rainbow Dash explained.



“Alright then. But if the Doctor is too busy to talk, we are leaving him alone until after the presentation, got it?” Twilight asked.



“Okie dokie lokie.” Pinkie Pie said with a cheery smile.



“Yeah, yeah, whatever. Just go and knock on the door already, Twilight.” Rainbow Dash said as she pointed to the door.



“What? Why me? It was Pinkie Pie's idea.” Twilight protested.



“Please, Twilight? The presentation is gonna start soon.” Pinkie Pie said as she gave Twilight the puppy eyes.



“(Sigh) Fine.” Twilight said as she walked up to the door and knocked a couple times. “Hello? Doctor Whooves?”



For a few moments, there was no reply, until the sound of boxes shuffling could be heard from inside. Then, the voice of Doctor Whooves could be heard as he called out to the ponies.



“Come in!” Doctor Whooves called from inside the lab.



With that, Twilight and the rest of her friends walked inside the lab. They found Doctor Whooves, who was in the middle of organizing some boxes on his workbench. Hearing the door close, Doctor Whooves turned to face his guests with a friendly smile.



“Yes? Ah, Princess Twilight and the rest of your friends! What a wonderful surprise. What may I do for all of you mares today?” Doctor Whooves asked as he dusted himself off before going to have some tea he had prepared earlier.



Twilight was about to explain herself, but before she could even open her mouth to speak, Rainbow Dash had already spoken.



“I've got a question for you, Doctor!” Rainbow Dash said, pointing at the Doctor.



“Hmm? What is it that you would like to ask?” Doctor Whooves asked as he started to take another sip of his tea.



“Do you have a crush on Derpy Hooves?” Rainbow Dash asked, causing the Doctor to spit his tea out in surprise.



“(Spit) (Cough)Wh-What!?” Doctor Whooves cried.



“Ha! I knew it! You do have a crush on Derpy!” Rainbow Dash said as she pointed her hoof rather aggressively at the Doctor.



“W-Well, I-I…” Doctor Whooves stammered before Rarity and Applejack interrupted.



“Oh my! So, you do have a crush on our local mailpony.” Rarity said as she had a smug look on her face.



“Well, looky there, the good Doctor has a crush.” Applejack said as she grinned.



“Girls! Stop! You're being very rude to Doctor Whooves. As if bothering him while he was busy wasn't enough.” Fluttershy said, standing in front of Doctor Whooves, as if to shield him.



“Y-You're right, sorry Doc.” Rainbow Dash said as she rubbed the back of her head.



“Fluttershy is right, my sincerest apologies, Doctor Whooves.” Rarity said.



“Shoot, I'm sorry too, Doctor. We didn't mean to be so rude.” Applejack said.



“No, no, it's quite alright. No need for any apology. Erm, would you mares be kind enough to keep a secret for me?” Doctor Whooves asked nervously.



“Don't worry Doctor Whooves, we'll keep it all to ourselves.” Twilight said, giving him a reassuring smile.



“Thank you very much. Well then, y-yes, I do have a.... fascination for Miss Derpy.” Doctor Whooves confessed. “She's an amazing mare, truly. Not to mention we've already been on many adventures together. Yes, we've travelled all over the vast places of time and spa-I mean, vast places of Equestria. Derpy is a wonderful companion and assistant. I honestly can't imagine my life without her.”



“Aww! So cute!” Pinkie Pie said as she let out a squeal.



“(Chuckle) Y-Yes, well, was there anything else I could help you mares with?” Doctor Whooves asked.



“Well...” Twilight said as she turned to look at Pinkie Pie, who just nodded at her. “(Sigh) Well, we were wondering if maybe perhaps we could get a sneak peek at the invention you're going to be showing at the presentation today?” Twilight asked as she gave an awkward smile.



“Hmm, well... I'm not the biggest fan of early access if you know what I mean, but how can I possibly say no in this situation? I would be more than delighted to give you ponies a little demonstration of what I'm going to be presenting today. You all just wait right there, and I'll be right back.” Doctor Whooves said as he quickly made his way to the back of his lab, rounding a corner, disappearing from sight.



“Are you sure, Doctor? We can always just wait for the presentation.” Twilight suggested before Doctor Whooves called back out to her.



“No, no, it's alright, Princess. Just give me a few moments and I'll be right out.” Doctor Whooves said as he continued with whatever he was doing.



While Doctor Whooves was getting his invention ready, the Mane Six just looked around the lab from where they were standing. The lab was filled with lots of strange wonders and inventions, many of which were quite fascinating to the ponies. While Twilight was looking around, she spotted something in the far corner of the lab that caught her eye. From what Twilight could tell, it looked like a large blue box with a door that had an inscription on it. The inscription read, 'Tardis'. Twilight had no idea what the word Tardis meant, but she assumed it was some fancy word created by the Doctor.



Twilight wondered what this Tardis was and was about to ask the Doctor, but she was stopped when everypony heard the sound of metal clanks. From the pattern in which the sounds occurred, it was clear that it was similar to the sounds of footsteps, only more metal. However, the odd thing about these footsteps was that it sounded like only two metal hooves hitting the ground, not four. A few moments later, a long metal tentacle-like arm came out from around the corner. Then, the second arm came out from around the corner. The Mane Six looked up and saw Doctor Whooves, who was suspended in the air by the two long metal arms that acted like legs of some sort. The bottom two arms were connected to a special harness that Doctor Whooves wore. But there wasn't only two arms, there were four arms in total. The top two arms were just waving around, not doing anything; they too were attached to the harness.



“Tada!” Doctor Whooves said as he stretched out his hooves. “Presenting, my newest invention! I present to you, my Arms of Assistance!” Doctor Whooves said with a very interesting accent.



For a few moments, no pony said a word.



“Well, what do you think?” Doctor Whooves asked with a grin on his face.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! It seems Doctor Whooves has a very interesting invention! Thank you for reading!