• Published 2nd Oct 2012
  • 2,221 Views, 29 Comments

Forever Is a Long Time - Hoosier Brony



A tale of a pony who is cursed to never die

  • ...
4
 29
 2,221

Chapter 11: Suspicion

Sitting on a blanket, spread across a beautiful patch of grass just outside of town, Rapid Quill paused, taking a look around, and breathed deeply. It was yet another perfect day in Ponyville, so nice he decided to capitalize on it, closing the shop and spending his day outside, writing the next chapter of his story. He had brought everything he would need, scrolls, ink, quills, even lunch, so he set about telling the next portion of his epic tale:


Two months had passed, Beaming Justice still recovering in the hospital. His recovery was being considered outrageous by many, his survival alone a miracle. The nurse on scene had described in detail his wounds and vitals, getting assured by medical professionals that her pronouncement of death was not premature. Even with the miraculous survival, the wounds were severe, the blood loss frightening. The fact that Beaming Justice was walking around, begging to be released from the hospital, after only two months, just amazed all who saw him.

The two months had been the worst of Justice’s life. He was bored stiff, confined to his hospital room. He was visited in the first week, when he was just beginning to recover, his pain still unbelievably bad, by Blowing Storm and Dream Chaser. Chase began to tell Justice all about his experience when the fighting had begun.

“Dad said to just hide,” Chase said, slight annoyance entering his voice. When Justice gave him a disappointed look, he added, “I did, at first. But I hid in a spot where I could watch the scene, and saw a griffon sneaking up a unicorn. I shouted out, but the noise of the battle was so terrible, he couldn’t hear me. So I ran up and kicked the griffon, right in the flank.” Laughing, Chase continued, “He was so shocked he screamed, and the unicorn was able to turn and fight him.”

Justice couldn’t believe what he was hearing. The fact that this poor colt was subject to a horrific battle, let alone had to take action in one, hurt him so. Nopony should have to experience what Chase went through, especially not somepony as young as he, Justice thought. Noticing that the colt was still laughing, proud of how he had helped, Justice couldn’t help but smile. Then again, he has grown up since I first met him.

Storm asked Chase to leave the room, ensuring that he would follow as soon as he had a talk with Justice. Chase left, a little upset that he couldn’t stay, but found a nurse to tell his story to, and rushed out to greet her. Justice watched as Storm closed the door, an audible click indicating the lock being activated. Storm turned, his smile fading from his lips. He walked over, sitting next to the hospital bed, staring at Justice the whole time.

“You should be dead,” Storm said, cutting straight to the point. He had been the first to approach the battle scarred body of his only friend, and had been troubled by the scene ever since.

Justice chuckled, thinking about what the nurses had all told him. “Yeah, they say that it is a miracle I survived, especially with how bad my wounds were.” He touched the bandage on his side, sucking in a pained breath. The medications were helping, but he still felt much of the pain. Looking back up to Storm, he was shocked to see the confused look turn to one of anger.

“Let me rephrase that,” Storm said, his voice shaking not from worry but annoyance. “You were dead. I saw the life flicker from your eyes.” Seeing the questioning look on the injured pegasus’ face, he added, “I’ve seen death before. When my wife died, Chase rushed from the room as the doctors attempted to save him, I watched as Dawn’s life drained. I watched as the only pony I’ve ever loved passed, and the other day I watched as the only pony I could call a friend did the same.”

Justice shuddered. He wouldn’t, no, couldn’t tell Storm about what he experienced. He looked off, towards the other side of the room, yet really looking back at the whole experience. Turning his head back towards the pegasus in the room, he shuddered again. No, he can’t know what happened. What am I saying? I don’t know what happened!! Justice thought, getting angrier at himself than his friend. Turning away, pulling the blanket up to his chin, he mumbled, “I’m feeling tired. Please let me rest, ok?”

Justice heard the angry snort from over his shoulder, listened as Storm’s hooves stomped towards the door, and felt his heart burst at the last thing he heard before the door slammed, “Get better soon, ok?” Justice sat there, in his silent room, thinking back to the encounter, wanting to scream all over again.

Justice was scared. He didn’t know what had happened to him when he got injured. He heard everypony talk about his miraculous survival, his stunning recovery, and his amazing luck. He had no answers either and not knowing only made it worse. He was able to sleep, but his nightmares made him wish he couldn’t. He dreamt of the fight against Mihsori, dreamt about his close call with death, and even dreamt about Nightmare Moon. He often awoke screaming, first in fear, then in pain, hitting him in waves.

About one month after the battle in the griffon camp, Justice was visited by Princess Celestia herself. When she walked in, he found himself unconsciously raising up, sitting tall for the princess in his midst. The conversation began on his recovery, but quickly turned to the issue at hand. Princess Celestia needed Justice for help.

“I have been in discussions with the griffon dignitaries this past month,” she said, demanding Justice’s focus. “Unbelievably, they are attempting to deny any knowledge of the camp or the atrocities within. I explained that I myself visited the camp shortly after the riotous overthrowing by the inhabitants, but they insist that the camp was a single minded entity, run by the insane Commander Mihsori.”

Justice looked off, remembering the intense fight with the insane commanding griffon. If not for the crazy luck he had, the broken spear getting stuck in Mihsori’s armor, Justice would’ve died. He had rushed into a battle with the griffon, his confidence getting him in trouble. Turning back to Princess Celestia, he asked, “What can I do?”

“Well,” she began, furrowing her brow, “I need an insider’s perspective. You were there; you must’ve seen things that I cannot prove to them. I require that you help me talk to them, make them realize we know what happened, so that the proper griffons may be punished and nothing along these lines ever happens again. I want a diplomatic approach to this; we cannot afford any more aggression.”

Justice just shook his head, his mind turning towards Willowhill. He’d been away from the farm for far too long, Storm and Chase unable to run it by themselves. He was still upset about how he handled the confrontation with Storm from earlier as well. He looked the princess in her eye, noticing her disappointment and said, “No. I can’t. I need to concentrate on getting better and going home.”

Princess Celestia just frowned, flaring her wings. “You misunderstood me. You will join me in discussions with the griffon dignitaries. I expect you to arrive as soon as you have been released. I will talk to your doctors about this arrangement.” With that, she turned, walking out of the room before he could respond, slamming the door behind her.

So, after two months of recovery, Justice was able to walk, his cuts and bruises having healed, his broken shins still sore, but healing. The deep, worrisome gash down his side was getting better each day, but the muscle tear had some effects on him. His daily exercise had helped gain back some of the mobility he had lost, but his trot still showed a noticeable limp. The shins, surprisingly, were what usually caused him to call off his rehab, the pain from the strain on them becoming too much at times.

The doctors, seeing that his deep wound was manageable, his walking ability improving each day, and his pain levels dropping, decided to release him, sure that he could take care of himself. He thanked the entire staff, from the doctors and nurses, to the volunteers who kept him company and headed out the door.

As he was leaving, he was met by two royal guards, taking up residence on either side of him. Before he could question it, a stagecoach appeared in front of him, the driver indicating that they would be in Canterlot before the next day. Justice snorted, knowing there was no way he wasn’t going to be getting out of this one, and climbed in, prepared for the return visit to Canterlot.

He watched as the landscape passed by, seeing many sights he hadn’t seen in years. When the Canterlot skyline appeared in the distance, everything Justice had run from came back in full force. He shook, thinking back to Nightmare Moon’s rise; he got teary, thinking about losing his love and his friends; worst of all, he felt the shame of running from all of his problems. He was able to compose himself enough to be presentable as the coach pulled up to the grand hall.

He strolled in, flanked yet again by royal guards, and made his way up to the large table, the same that the weekly meetings that the princesses and their Chief Lieutenants once attended. He was stopped short by a royal guard, waiting to be called over. Looking over the pegasus’ shoulder, he noticed a few griffons on one side of the table, including the elderly Adelram, and Shining Light and Princess Celestia on the other. The look on Shining Light’s face indicated that the talks were not going very smoothly.

Seeing his arrival, Princess Celestia nodded him over, introducing him as soon as he was at the table. The few griffons at the table seemed curious as to who the limping pony was and why he would be present at the meeting. Once they learned that not only was he a former Chief Lieutenant of the Royal Guard but also a resident of the griffon camp, they grew deathly silent. Justice looked each of them in the eye, preparing his story.

As he told his story, giving all at the table an insider’s view of the laborious work load forced upon those in the camp, the horrible living conditions, and, most of all, the horrendous sorting process to start the experience, not a single sound could be heard, except for a gasp or two at times. He described the occasions where a griffon would descend upon the camp, strolling around, and the sudden disappearance of workers shortly thereafter. Finally, he explained what happened to ponies who dared to stand up in defiance to the griffon soldiers, joining them for “training.”

When questioned as to who was responsible for such an act, Justice stared down one dignitary in particular. “I’ve seen you before, sir, and you know why. You visited the camp, yet you sit here pretending this is all news to you.” The table gasped, turning towards the griffon in question. No amount of fake shock could cover the hateful look he had flashed at Justice.

Adelram demanded the removal of the dignitary from the discussions, taking command of the griffon talks. The griffons decided to take Justice’s story back to their emperor, telling him of the atrocities of the camp. Over the course of the next month, the talks between Princess Celestia and the griffon emperor would take a turn for the better; the actions handed down were quick and definite.

Many elite griffons were rounded up by the military, thrown into dungeons to await their punishment. Though many were positive of the emperor’s association with the camp, not once was his involvement brought into question. There was concern; some of the griffons rounded up believed to be enemies of the emperor, not the ponies. After much protesting, an uprising would occur, over throwing the emperor and high ranking officials, who were also accused of committing questionable acts.

Princess Celestia, who had provided support for the uprising, in support, supplies, and even pony soldiers to help with the fighting, was present for the implementation of the new griffon order. With much deliberation, and agreement from both the pony court and the griffon uprising leadership, Adelram was deemed the wisest, best choice for leading the new government, especially when his involvement in pony smuggling came to light. He was humbled by the choice, yet took control, his reign a short one, yet one of the most prosperous and peaceful for the griffons. That, though, is a different story.

After telling his story to the griffons, opening the eyes to all just how high the involvement went, Justice was given a room in the castle to rest for the night. He found it easy to sleep, his conscience clear after telling his story, and knew that nothing but good would come from the meeting that day. When he awoke the next morning, his limp even better than the day before, he received a knock upon his door. A runner pony informed him that he was requested in the princess’ personal throne room.

Walking in, Justice was greeted by the princess and a chef pony, waiting for his arrival. He was grateful for the special attention, ordering his favorite hay and oat pancakes, missing the wonderful cooking found only in Canterlot. He sat down to eat his breakfast and the chef was asked to leave the room. Princess Celestia waited until the chef had left before turning her attention on the pegasus before her.

“You are looking good, Beaming Justice,” she started, her voice soft. “Where have you been all this time? What have you been doing?”

Justice finished his plate, thanking the princess for the great breakfast. “I found a wonderful small village near the outskirts of Equestria called Willowhill. I’ve spent my time there, working a small wheat farm with a fellow pegasus and his colt. When I arrived, they were running the farm alone, and needed some help. With my assistance, we’ve increased the size of the farm by two hundred percent and increased the harvests as well.”

Princess Celestia just laughed softly. “I never would’ve pictured you as a farmer. So, have you made any friends in the village?”

“Well, when I first got there, I was…” Justice paused, thoughts of the night with Nightmare Moon flooding his memory, “I was dealing with some issues. I basically isolated myself, dealing with Blowing Storm and Dream Chaser alone. But that all changed.” He smiled a large smile, thinking of the first morning of his new experience with flying. “I realized that they were my best friends in the world, and that gave me the confidence to try flying again.”

“Try flying, again?” Princess Celestia asked. “Why do you say it that way?” She sat down in a more comfortable position, continuing to show interest in the experiences of Justice away from Canterlot. She had reasons as to why she wanted to talk, but was waiting for the right time to bring them up.

“Well, ever since,” Justice paused again, taking a deep breath. “Ever since that night, I just could not bring myself to fly. I tried, but found my wings unresponsive to any command to move. I don’t know why, I guess because it reminded me of flying with Luna. Whenever I tried to fly, I thought of…”

Princess Celestia noticed his trailing off. Sensing that her time to bring up the reasons for her inquisition was upon them, she asked, “Was it Nightmare Moon?” She noticed the pony’s expression darken, a stony stare off in the distance. When she stood, prepared to come closer to comfort him, he shuddered, a whimper escaping his lips.

“I,” he started, unsure how to explain his concerns, “I want to talk about something, but I’m afraid of what it could mean. When I fought that griffon, I…well, I suffered a serious injury. The doctors and nurses kept saying it was a miracle I survived. I mean, the nurse who first found me pronounced me dead. But somehow I’m still here.” He looked over at the princess, a pained expression on his face. “I even had Storm tell me I died. He watched as the same thing that happened to his wife years ago happened to me.”

Princess Celestia nodded, no surprise crossing her face. She had concerns, ones that she knew were about to be made, but she waited for her chance. “What happened? Do you remember that day?”

Justice nodded, shuddering. “I can’t forget. I remember looking at Mihsori, watching as he gasped for breath, watching as he died. I smiled, turning towards the fight, wanting to see the freedom being fought for by all the brave ponies. I was in such horrible pain, I felt like I would explode, and then, it just left. It was like the pain, melted away, still there, but no longer an issue.

“I concentrated on the battle, watching it as long as I could, but suddenly I couldn’t focus anymore. The world was getting blurry, clouding over on the edges. I heard somepony call out my name, but I couldn’t move my head or shout out. Celestia, I, I know it’s crazy but, I saw the world go black, and I felt my heart stop beating. I mean, completely stop. I know I was dead, I knew at the time but…”

Princess Celestia walked over, grabbing his head in her hooves and forcing him to stare into her eyes. “What did you see? What caused you to come back?”

Justice stared, a tear falling out of the corner of his eye. “I saw her. I saw Nightmare Moon. She was laughing that…horrible laugh. That laugh haunted my nightmares for years. She just flashed in front of my eyes, laughing. Suddenly, my heart beat again. I watched the world slowly come into focus again, but couldn’t breathe. And still, she laughed, echoing throughout my head. I felt the pain begin to overrun my body and, at the same time, I was able to breath, and all I could do was scream. I screamed about the pain I felt, the unbearable pain that should’ve killed me. I screamed about the fight against Mihsori, a primal scream. But finally, that laughter still echoing in my head, I screamed at her, at Nightmare Moon.”

Justice began to shake, his whimpering continuing. Princess Celestia felt bad, knowing that her concerns would only intensify the pained emotions coming from the once brave pony in front of her. Still, she needed to voice her concerns, for if she was right, he would need to confront this issue quickly. Backing up, she looked over the pegasus, her earlier concerns confirmed. “Justice, you look as good as you did when you dated Luna, you know?”

Justice sniffed, trying to stop his shaking. “What do you mean?” He couldn’t understand why the princess would say such a thing. Was she playing some game with him? What did she mean by that?

“I mean, you don’t look like you’ve changed in the almost two years since I’ve seen you,” Princess Celestia said, standing tall in front of the pegasus. She needed to be confident in front of him, for the news she was about to give could break him. “Have you not realized that you don’t seem to have grown in those two years? You don’t seem to have aged even a day. That was my first concern, and one of the reasons I wanted to talk today.”

Justice’s mind was reeling. What does she mean? Yeah, nothing much has changed, but how much should’ve changed in two years? If she’s suggesting I’m not aging, what does that mean? he thought. He found himself sitting down hard; no pain in his recently injured legs. “So…”

“But then there was the story of your miraculous survival and tremendous recovery. How’s the wound? What about your broken legs? I noticed your limp from yesterday was much better today.” Seeing the concern spreading across his face, Princess Celestia decided she would need to just explain her theory. “Beaming Justice, I believe you have been cursed. I think Nightmare Moon did something to you that night, before I could defeat her. What all it means, how it has affected you, I am unsure.”

Justice stared at her, dumbfounded. “I don’t understand. You think I was cursed? But, what does that mean? What did she do to me? Is that why I didn’t die? How long have you known this?” Justice found his voice rising in pitch, concern taking over. Nightmare Moon had ruined so much about his life and, after getting the ability to fly back, he thought he was over her. Now Princess Celestia was telling him that somehow she was still affecting him?

“I ask that you stay here, in Canterlot. Let me look into this, let me help you,” Princess Celestia asked, genuinely. She knew that the two had had their differences in the past, but she was seriously concerned for him. Nightmare Moon was a powerful, evil mare and nopony knew what she was capable of doing. Justice might be in real trouble, and she wanted to help.

Justice just shook his head, unsure about the news given to him. What does it all mean? What’s happening to me? Is it really Nightmare Moon’s doing? It was too much to think about for the poor pegasus. Looking back to Princess Celestia, his face pasted with fake confidence, he shook his head. “Thank you for the offer, but I need to go to Willowhill. I need my friends right now. I’ll figure this out, don’t worry about it, but I can’t avoid them.”

Princess Celestia couldn’t believe it. She wanted to help Justice so bad, but he was refusing. “I beg you to reconsider. We don’t know what she’s done to you, what it might mean. Please stay, let me help.”

Justice turned, bowing deep and respectfully to the princess. “I decline. Thank you, Princess Celestia. You’ve helped in so many ways, but I just cannot stay. I’m sorry, but I must go now.” With that said, he stood tall, smiled nicely, and turned, walking out the door, heading back to where his friends were, back to the life that hadn’t confused or worried him, back to his comfort zone.


“Rapid Quill!” a voice shouted. Looking up, he saw Twilight approaching, Spike running slightly behind, carrying a picnic basket of their own. They seemed to be alone, but Rapid Quill wondered if the rest of the gang would be arriving soon. He put his quill down, pleased with the stopping point he had arrived at, and greeted Twilight.

“What are you up to today?” Spike asked, opening the blanket and setting out the contents of the basket. Judging by the small amount of food, Rapid Quill deduced that this was a picnic just for Twilight and her assistant.

“I’ve just finished writing the newest chapter of my story,” Rapid Quill said, starting to pack up his items, not to leave, but just because he was done writing. He noticed Twilight’s curious look and couldn’t help but smile. “Would you like to read it? I don’t mind.”

Twilight looked down at Spike, her expression one of wanting and despair. “Well, I promised Spike we would have a picnic today in gratitude for his help in a recent training session. I’ll just have to read it some other time.” Her voice showed just a hint of sorrow, trailing off at the end. Her shoulders slumped, if only for a second, before she put on a smile and tried to pretend that she didn’t mind.

Spike rolled his eyes, looking at Twilight with an eyebrow cocked. “You know, I don’t mind if you read his chapter. I mean, it isn’t going to take all day.” He turned to Rapid Quill, a questioning look on his face, “Is it?” Twilight immediately swooped Spike up, swinging him around while thanking him, repetitively. “Ok, ok. Just stop spinning me,” Spike said, beginning to get nauseous.

Rapid Quill laughed at the antics of the two and, opening his bags, pulled his story out, placing it near Twilight’s hoof. “Enjoy. I’m always welcome to any suggestions.” He smiled as Twilight picked up the scroll, trotting off to the edge of her picnic blanket and laying down, excitedly opening the scroll.

As Twilight read, Spike and Rapid Quill ate their food, Rapid Quill realizing that, in all his time writing the chapter, he had neglected his picnic he had packed, and chatted about various things. Rapid Quill talked about a recent visit from his parents, whom he hadn’t seen for years. Spike talked about some zany adventure Snips and Snails had pulled him into recently.

Suddenly Rapid Quill remembered what time of year it was and, a little timidly, asked, “Hey, Spike, isn’t it your birthday next week? Do you have any plans?” Rapid Quill remembered last year, when Spike’s birthday resulted in a rampaging dragon, hoarding various items from many ponies, tearing up part of Ponyville, tormenting the Wonder Bolts, and almost killing Rarity and himself.

Spike sighed, crossing his arms in defiance. “Twilight says I can have a small party, but not any presents.” Increasing the pitch of his voice, attempting to imitate Twilight (and not succeeding well), he mocked, “We cannot afford a repeat of the incident from last year. If receiving too many presents is what led to your greedy rampage, then I do not believe we can have presents this year.” He sighed, disappointed. “I explained to her that I can control myself this year. I even said I would be generous and give out some of my stuff as party favors, but she’s set her mind.”

Rapid Quill felt bad. He remembered last year and trembled at the sight of the rampaging dragon, but still, no presents on your birthday? That seemed borderline criminal. Against his better judgment, and completely contradicting Twilight’s decision, he leaned in, whispering so that only Spike would hear, though Rapid Quill guessed that Twilight was so caught up she couldn’t hear anyways, “You know what? If you can make it over to my store on your birthday, I promise you can have one book from the store, as a gift.”

Rapid Quill smiled, pleased that he had made the small dragon’s day, and returned the thankful hug. They continued their small chat until Twilight sat up, rolling the scroll. She walked over, sat down and placed the scroll in Rapid Quill’s bags. She looked over at the author, her face blank. Rapid Quill began to wworry, wondering if she was displeased with the chapter somehow.

“I have a question,” Twilight said, looking down, thinking, “What are you going to do with this story?” She looked up, seeing the confusion on Rapid Quill’s face. “Sorry, I liked this chapter. It was very thought provoking, but it got me thinking. So, what are you going to do with this story when it is finished?”

Rapid Quill looked off, thinking about the question posed. He had always wanted to write that story that would be good enough to publish, but was this it? He looked back at his friends, an uncertain smile spreading across his face, saying, “I don’t know. I’ll probably just keep it myself.”

Twilight gasped, stamping her hoof. “You can’t! This story is great, you have to share it. I know the girls and I are extremely excited every time you come out with a new chapter. I think you should share your story even further. I bet all of Ponyville would want to read it. I bet all of Equestria would enjoy this.”

Rapid Quill just sat there, his confidence wavering. He liked his story, and knew that the girls seemed to enjoy it too, but good enough for everypony? Packing his picnic, picking up his bags, he thanked Twilight for her kind words, “I just…don’t know. I’ll have to think about it, but I just don’t know. I’ll have to think about it. Thanks again.”

With that, Rapid Quill walked home, his mind filled with thoughts about his next chapter, and about the future of his story. Twilight had given him much to think about, but Rapid Quill just wasn’t ready for what was awaiting him, after he had finished his next chapter.