• Published 2nd Oct 2012
  • 2,221 Views, 29 Comments

Forever Is a Long Time - Hoosier Brony



A tale of a pony who is cursed to never die

  • ...
4
 29
 2,221

Chapter 19: Desolation

Rapid Quill had exited the small study belonging to Twilight Sparkle, within the confines of her tree house library, and walked out to find Spike lounging in the main room reading a comic book. With a yawn, the pony walked out and chatted with the young dragon, letting him know he was taking a very short break, to rest both his tired hoof and his tired mind. Needless to say, sleep hadn't been coming very easily for the author and his body was making sure to let him know of that fact.

Receiving another glass of water, and a sweet confection from Sugar Cube Corner that Spike willingly shared, the pony felt a little revitalized and set forth to continue his writing.


Six years had passed since the night that Summer Dawn and Key Drift had begun to work out their marital issues and the family had never been closer. Summer was pleased that her husband had begun to spend more of his time at home, his medical practice still a priority, but not the first priority, and Drift was ecstatic to be able to spend quality time with his son Dusk Ryder. In the six years that had passed, the young colt had developed into a rambunctious young teen stallion who had envisioned a life in the service, having idolized his father and the neighbor across the way.

Across the street, Beaming Justice and Daisy Cutter were continuing to live their peaceful life together. Justice and Daisy had started out being to go-to foalsitters for young Dusk, which had allowed Summer to return to her original job as a flourist, much to her excitement. As the young colt grew, and became a little more self sufficient, the task went from foalsitting to more of a coaching type arrangement. Justice had seen that this unicorn was intrigued about becoming a service pony and had agreed to help train him up a little bit, working on exercises for both the body and mind. Not a unicorn himself, Justice wasn't able to teach the magic his young apprentice had desired, but he was willing to watch and assist as needed.

The year in question was noticeable for the anniversary that it marked. Word spread throughout Equestria that five hundred years had passed since Celestia's victory over Nightmare Moon and Equestrian ponies had determined that a celebration should be held, to mark the half-way point of the rumored thousand year sentence. "Nightmare Night," as it would become known as, would be a night for ponies everywhere to celebrate the peace that came after the banishment of the villainous monster. Foals would go house to house and collect candy, dressing up for fun, but the older ponies would make sure that the fear of Nightmare Moon wouldn't be lost on the young. Scary stories would be told, the foals would be warned of the evil legend, but everypony would still have fun, the point of the night being a celebration more than anything. The idea gained some ground and spread throughout Equestria, each town or city putting its own twist on the celebration.

As word spread throughout Manehattan, the ponies, both young and old, grew more excited each day. A large party would be held for all to attend and, as planned, ponies were asked to gather treats and goodies for the roaming youngsters. Even Dusk had felt his excitement growing, he and some friends already planning some friendly pranks to play on some ponies, feeling that the slight fear of the prank would be fitting with the holiday, and the laughter afterwards helping stop any sour feelings.

Just about everypony in the city was excited for the upcoming celebrations, everypony except one. In the beginning, Justice had tried to just keep quiet, the memorable anniversary coming and going as years past had done. Once the word spread that a celebration would be held, he began to feel some frustrations. Once it was announced just how big the celebration would be, the fun party and games that were planned, the stories and significance that would be told, his frustrations turned to anger.

Daisy had noticed her husband's change in demeanor as the year progressed. She had tried to help him, either trying to change the subject for his benefit or even discuss his frustrations. She had found that bringing up the topic usually ended in Justice becoming even more upset than when it started. "Are you going to be ok?" she would ask.

"I don't know," he would say, his look glazing into the distance. "There's...some bad memories... and... I don't know." He snapped back to attention, "Why? You aren't going to participate, are you?"

Daisy nervously shuffled her feet. "I want to. It's a celebration of the defeat of a tyrant. I assumed you of all ponies would be able to appreciate that."

"Why? Just because I was there? Because I saw it happen?" Justice said, his wings starting to ruffle slightly at his anger. "I've told you what Nightmare Moon did, not just to me but to my friends. Why do you think I'd want to remember that? How do you think this would be fun for me?"

"Justice, I'm sorry that what happened to you happened, but you have to understand that everypony else sees this holiday as the good that came from the defeat of Nightmare Moon. I wish she hadn't done what she had done to you, but the monster's defeat was such a good thing for the nation, for the world!"

Justice snorted in anger and walked away, spending the next two days without a word for his wife. She had found him, on the third night, staring up into the night sky with tears rolling down his face. "Justice?" she asked, startling the pony slightly. "Oh honey, everything will be ok. I promise."

Justice reached out to his wife, holding her tight and kissing her passionately. "I'm so sorry. I never should've yelled at you like that. I just... this whole thing brings back a lot of my past, some of which I guess I never recovered from. But it's not fair to you."

Daisy hugged her husband, the two sharing a peaceful, quite moment that night. The warmth of his embrace helped clear some of the chill that the fall night was bringing to the earth pony and brought a smile from the warmth and love she felt from deep inside. She looked back up at her husband, her love, and smiled happily.

Without looking away from the night sky, Justice quietly asked, "Do you think ponies can change? Can a mistake that was made ever truly be forgiven and forgotten. Can somepony be saved from the darkness?" He felt a little startled when he received an extra tight hug from the pony beside him, and assurances that ponies can change for the better. Realizing what he was thinking, what he was feeling, and what he was saying, as well as who he was saying it to, made him feel a deep, shameful guilt that cut him to the core.

Nightmare Night came and Justice tried to stay positive. He handed out some candy and even prepared a costume of his own. Daisy laughed at his lack of imagination, as he was going as an adventuring pony (complete with eyepatch and fake scars), but he just chuckled at her jokes. The couple went into town to join their friends and the rest of the city for music and games. In the city park, where the festivities were being held, there were pictures of Nightmare Moon's evil grin, ponies imitating her cackle, and even a stuffed scarecrow that ponies could throw pies or vegetables at for a laugh.

As they came within view of the ceremonies, Daisy felt a chill creep up her back and turned slowly to look at Justice. His forced smile had faded, what little joy he had been showing falling immediately into despair. She had known there would be fun and games, but didn't realize just how much it could've affected her husband. She was about to ask him if he wanted to leave, but was surprised when he pushed on, walking up to some of their acquaintances they had made and trying to stay social.

She joined him, surprised at his actions but able to tell he was struggling through the situation. As he sat at a nearby table, picking at some snacks absent mindedly, the mayor took the stage and began her speech, "Welcome, one and all, to the first annual Nightmare Night Celebration! This year we celebrate five hundred years since the defeat of the monstrous Nightmare Moon." At this opening the crowd started cheering, but Justice just frowned. "We've all been told the legend of Nightmare Moon, how she stole the day and turned it to night, vanquished all ponies who stood in her way, and preyed upon the ponies of the kingdom." Justice's frown deepened, his breathing becoming more erratic. "May we all celebrate tonight in remembrance of the good deed Princess Celestia did in order to defeat and destroy the terrible fiend that contributed nothing but death, despair, and destruction."

The crowd continued to cheer, setting off the night's festivities, but Justice stood, Daisy feeling the table shake a little as he pushed off it, and walked slowly, yet angrily, towards an alley. She rose herself and followed him, wanting to check on him and help if she could. She approached her husband, realizing he was still shaking, his breathing coming in short, loud bursts as he tried his hardest to contain his anger. "Justice? How can I help?"

His head whipped around, a pained expression across his face. "There is nothing we can do. The world will forever remember her as the monster that attacked them. But this is ridiculous. Do they not realize what was lost? Do they not care?" He was about to continue, but a light shone in on them, as a patrolpony was making sure there wasn't any funny business going on.

Daisy assured him everything was alright and sent him on his way and, upon turning around, saw that Justice had regained a little composure. Justice requested to go home, not sure how much more he could stand, and she agreed. What was he saying? What was lost when Nightmare Moon was defeated? Is he still hurt about his friends? Her thoughts ran full steam as she walked home, a little behind him to let him relax.

As they were nearing their house, the bowl of candy they had left out for the neighborhood foals appearing to be empty from afar, suddenly there was a shout. Daisy looked up, seeing a shadow descending upon her husband, who had no time to dodge. A box, made from what looked like thick plastic of some sort, fell around Justice, trapping him inside, as a few of the neighborhood teens sat on top, screaming about Nightmare Moon trapping this poor pony, eternal night descending upon him, and cackling, both to imitate the beast and at their own prank. Daisy rushed to them, shouting that they needed to let Justice out, begging them to free him for their own good, but they weren't paying attention, their prank getting them too excited.

With a shout of rage, and a hard kick that sent one colt flying backwards, Justice broke out in a forceful way, throwing the three foals off the top and shattering the box they had, unwittingly, trapped the pegasus in. He thrashed about, a small part of the box getting caught around his hoof from where he had kicked a hole in its side, and locked eyes with the shaken teens. He lashed out, shoving one hard to the ground, and screamed again in anger and rage, causing two of the four to run away. The foal who had been pushed, a young mare, was guarded by her coltfriend, who bravely stood between Justice and the victim.

Daisy rushed up, standing in front of Justice and screaming his name, but he seemed lost to the rage. She reached out and tried to shove him backwards, barely moving the pegasus. As he tensed up, ready to lurch forward, Daisy punched him as hard as she could, right in the chest, stopping his forward progress. He stared down at her, his anger broken just enough to let her face shine through, and took a step back. Deep within he felt a pain welling in his chest, but he couldn't remember how it had happened. He shook his head, looking at the scared and upset young ponies in front of him.

The defiant face of the young colt in front of him upset Justice, fragments of the last few minutes coming to him, and the pony shouted, "What's the matter with you?!? Can't you take a joke?!?"

Daisy stepped up to try to defuse the situation. "I'm sorry. Are you hurt, young lady? He didn't mean it, he just got scared. I think tonight has been a bit much for him."

"You're kidding right?" the colt said, helping his marefriend up. "Everypony knows Nightmare Moon is gone, and good riddance. If that was what pissed him off so much then I'm glad she's gone. Tell that stallion to chill. What if somepony had gotten hurt?" Justice stormed off towards his house at this, muttering under his breath and slamming the door behind him.

Daisy continued, toeing the line of apologizing and lecturing. "Well what about you? Did you really think it was ok to prank strangers? Now I'm sorry my husband acted the way he did, but don't you have a pegasus friend? Pegasi are naturally claustrophobic. They don't like being stuck in tight places where they can't fly to safety. You should really be more careful about who you prank. Miss, are you going to be ok?"

After getting assurances that the young mare was ok, just shaken up, and apologizing again for the situation, Daisy set towards her house. She was unsure how to handle the next part of her, suddenly, very terrible night. I understand he is under stress and this night hasn't been easy, but what set him off like that? She entered her house, finding her husband upstairs in the bedroom, staring out the window at the full moon with tears down his face. As she approached the room, she heard him say, "You deserve better than this."

She entered into the room and put a hoof around his shoulder, checking him over to make sure he was calm and unhurt from his escape. She made sure to check his chest too, scared that she had hurt him too much to stop his rampage. "I know you've got some negative feelings about tonight, but it's ok. Are you alright now?"

Justice just shook his head, looking down at his wife and kissing her forehead. "I owe you an apology. Thank you for stopping me before something very bad happened. I just guess I got overwhelmed there." Seeing that his wife was looking for more, he sighed and looked back out down the street, the scene of the revelers continuing outside. "This holiday is stupid."

Daisy patted her husband's back, scratching his favorite spot between his shoulders, where his wings met his back. "It's a chance for everypony to remember the victory over evil, an evil that even you despise. It's a chance for everypony to celebrate the peace that came after Nightmare Moon was vanquished. It's a chance to be happy for how good things are now that she's gone."

"You're right. Nightmare Moon was terrible. She deceived and destroyed ponies in horrible ways. But to hear what these ponies are saying about her...it just keeps getting to me. We all lost a lot on that night, her defeat did not come without pain as well."

Daisy noticed a tear welling in her husband's eye and hugged him for comfort. "I'm so sorry about what that monster did to your friends. Their deaths were senseless and cruel. But I feel so much worse about you. What that monster did to you..."

"Please stop calling her a monster!" Justice said, a little extra force in his voice. "She was deceived, she was possessed, she was angry. Hasn't everypony gotten angry before?"

Daisy pulled back for a second, seeing the pain streaming down her husband's face, and considered his words. "Who was angry? Are you talking about Princess Luna?" Justice moaned sadly at the mention of her name. "You do mean Princess Luna. Is that who you meant earlier when you said you had lost something?" She saw her husband's reaction, and felt realization come on quickly.

"She was good, she really was. She doesn't deserve to be remembered as a monster. She had some problems, problems that should've been worked out. She was too nice, and kind, for this treatment. She..."

"You loved her..." Daisy said, quietly, backing away in astonishment. She looked down, scared to see what her husband's reaction would be, but finally peeled her eyes upward. Seeing the pain in her husband's face was like taking a freezing cold ice cycle and jamming it through her chest. She gasped, "Oh sweet Celestia. You still love her."

Justice looked at his wife, his face a confused twist of sadness and fear. He nodded slightly, feeling as if he had taken a blow when he wife stood and walked away. "Daisy..."

"No," she said, anger in her voice. "Tell me it isn't true Justice. Tell me you are playing a very bad prank tonight. Were you in love with Princess Luna and do you still harbor that love?" She asked all this with her back turned, unable to bear looking at his reaction.

Justice sighed slightly, knowing there was no way he could avoid the confrontation coming. Wiping his eyes he said, "Yes. Princess Luna was the first pony I ever loved." He saw her shoulder slump, hearing a slight sniffle, but pushed on. "And yes, I do still think of her. I just worry that I couldn't do more, that I should've helped her, saved her. It makes me..."

"We've been married for twelve years and this is the first I've heard of this!!" Daisy said, spinning around with fury in her teary eyes. "How could you keep this from me? How could you keep a secret like 'I still am in love with somepony else?'"

Justice stopped, trying to calm his wife down. Reaching out to her, trying to take her hoof into his, he said, "Of course I love you. I've always loved you, from the moment I saw you. But..."

Daisy ripped her hoof away, screaming as loud as she could, "THERE IS NO BUT!! ARE YOU INSANE?!? GET OUT!! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE AND OUT OF MY LIFE!!!" She threw another punch at the stunned pony, who didn't immediately move, connecting with his left shoulder.

Justice winced in pain, and felt tears well up in both anger and sadness at the situation. Standing, and avoiding other blows, he quietly walked to the door and, stopping to lean over his shoulder, looked back at the sobbing mess of his wife, and said, "I'm sorry. I... I'm so sorry." With that, he walked out of the house and down the street, the noise of the nearby party celebrations not even registering to him.

Daisy let everything out, huddling into a ball on the floor, crying as hard as she could until exhaustion overtook her and she slept where she fell. She awoke the next morning with pain in her head, having strained herself with all her crying. She stood up and shook out the stiffness that comes with sleeping on the floor, and looked around, the memory of the previous night coming back to her. She felt tears streaming again, unsure whether she should feel upset at the secret her husband had kept or sad that now he was gone. She thought through the events from the night before and cried again.

After a day of taking in her suddenly lonely surroundings, she tried to get her routine back to normal, going to the market for food supplies, but felt in a daze. She had missed Summer calling out to her from across the market, wanting to talk to her about her absence from the recent festival, and walked zombified back to her house. She had heard the knock at the door later in the day, but refused to open it, feeling sorry for herself and locking herself away.

As she awoke on the third day in the same manner as the previous day, alone, cold, and crying in her big bed, she heard yet another knock at the door. Pulling herself together, though only slightly, she walked to the door and looked out the peephole. On the other side was her friend Summer Dawn. Deciding that she needed somepony to talk to, she opened the door and let the unicorn in.

"What is the matter? You look terrible," Summer said, sweeping herself in and hugging her friend. "Where is Justice? Is he ok? I tried to call out to you yesterday, but you must not've heard."

Daisy held on as long as she could, before she finally broke down and bawled into her friend's embrace. "Justice... he... he told me he was still in love with another pony... and... and I made him leave." She choked this out in between sobs. Summer led her over to the couch, sitting her down, and asked for everything. Without giving away his secret, or the name of the other pony, Daisy explained how Justice had said he had loved another pony before Daisy, and how he still had feelings for this pony. She tried to explain the whole situation as close to verbatim as possible, again making sure to not abuse his trust on his lifelong secret.

"Do you still love him?" Summer asked. As Daisy nodded, tears forming anew, she continued, "And did he say he didn't love you?" Daisy shook her head, wiping away a tear. "Then I think you need to go find him and make this work. He doesn't dislike you, he just still has some latent feelings for this other pony. You said there's no way that he would be able to go back to her, so that makes you his one and only love right now. For his sake as well as yours, don't let that love break. It's like Drift and I have learned, no marriage is perfect and they all take work. Go work on yours."

Daisy nodded, feeling a little renewed, and set about to clean herself up. Needless to say, a three day depression can lead to unhygienic tendencies to take over a pony's life. As she was getting showered, she suddenly felt more fear coming on. I don't know where he is. I don't know where he would go. Where do I even begin?

She had begun to wonder where in Equestria her love would go, but the pony had been alive for so long, and seen so much of the world, that she worried she would never find him. She considered going to Canterlot, knowing that his whole adventure started there, or Cloudsdale, though she hoped he wouldn't be there as she wouldn't be able to actually go to the city in the clouds. She considered seeing if he would be at the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters ruin, since that was where he was cursed and the whole Nightmare Moon situation may've caused him to go there, or maybe Willowhill, the small city that he had spent much of his early years at, or even to the grave of Spring Gallows, his very close friend he had traveled the world with until he met her.

That's when a location hit her, one that she hoped beyond all hopes would be correct, as it would mean he was thinking of her first. As soon as she was ready, and had checked in with Summer to ask her to watch the house while she was away, she hopped on the first train to Vanhoover, the city where the two had lived along with her father, the city where they had gotten married, the city where they had started their lives together. After departing the train, which had taken two full days to reach the far western city, she checked in with the local guards to see if a pegasus matching Justice's appearance had been seen, but with no luck.

She felt disheartened, preparing to move to the next location and try again, but decided to not waste the trip and visit her father's grave. After they had moved away, the old land had been sold and abandoned, the grass and weeds overgrown and the training grounds and equipment laying in ruins. This run down state of her old home hurt her heart, but she was overjoyed to find that the gravestone remained undisturbed. She sat down and laid her troubles at her father's grave, staying until night fell.

Looking around, after realizing that she had spent the entire day at the plot, she wiped away her tears and prepared her trip into town, and on to the next location. As she was looking around, she happened to catch a glimpse of what appeared to be somepony out in the far fields. She was approaching when she realized there was something in her path. Stooping down to get a good look at the object, the night sky providing little light, even with a full moon, she recognized a dark grey feather, one that she knew belonged to her husband.

Pressing on, feeling her heart light with excitement, Daisy found Justice sitting on one of the bales of hay, staring up at the full moon with a sigh, and approached him quietly. Sitting next to him, and looking at the moon herself, she asked, "Are you ok?" She looked up at his pained expression and began to feel the guilt, yet still felt she deserved an explanation.

"I'm sorry for not telling you about Princess Luna," Justice said, closing his eyes and dipping his head down. "I just never thought about telling you."

"It hurt, Justice," Daisy said, lifting his chin up so he would look at her. Looking into his ancient eyes, and seeing generations of sadness in them, she continued, "I know that you've lived a long life, one that I'm sure included lots of love in the past, but finding out that you still have feelings for her really hurt."

"Daisy, I swear to you right now that there have only ever been two ponies that I loved and wanted to spend my life with in the five hundred and twenty four years I've lived. Yes, I loved Princess Luna, with all my heart, but the love I feel now belongs only to you. I needed some time to verify that, but the last week or so has proven that to me. Every day, every moment away from you, was like another torturous experience. How I hated being away from you..."

"Do you still have feelings for her? I've seen you looking at the moon from time to time," Daisy asked, looking up herself at the full, bright moon.

"Nothing I feel at this time can compare with the love I have for you. What Nightmare Moon did to me, to my friends, to Equestria...that has severely damaged whatever relationship there had been. But I will forever treasure the friendship and companionship that I had with the real Princess Luna. Sometimes I worry about her, stuck on the moon, alone, as the fiend she became. I hope that when she is freed, she will have seen her errors and come back a better pony, but I worry that she may be lost forever." He felt the tears flow freely as he said this.

Daisy scooted closer, her side brushing against the feathers of his wing, and put a hoof on his, looking back at his face and asking, "What was Princess Luna like? I never heard you talk of her."

Justice smiled warmly, which hurt the pony beside him slightly, and turned to his wife. "Oh you would've loved her. She was a lot like you. Strong, but gentle. Tough, but kind. She was very smart, always wanting to learn more or help a pony in need. She had a bit of an attitude, but nothing like yours...OOF!"

Daisy pulled back, having hit her husband pretty hard in the flank, and saw the smile on his face. Smiling herself, she said, "Did you just compare my attitude to that of Nightmare Moon?!? Am I that bad?" She leaned back in, Justice pulling her into a hug.

"Of course not. Though you definitely hit harder than she ever did." He smiled, feeling Daisy smile as well, leaning further into his hug.

"Well, I've had a great teacher to work with me, the best the world has ever seen," she sighed, happy to be back with her husband, who loved her alone. The two sat for a second, caught up in the moment, Daisy leaning into Justice's side, and listening to the nocturnal animals calling and chirping around the field. "Was she prettier than me?"

Justice answered, with no hesitation, "She was pretty, but nopony has ever been able to compare with your beauty." He laid his head overtop of hers, and the two spent the rest of the night in this cozy embrace.

As the two ponies made up, and Justice swore to keep no more secrets from his love, time continued on as usual. Some days seemed to go by in a flash, some were blissfully slow. Justice watched as the love of his life continued to grow old, Daisy having to do extra exercises to try to keep her youthful look and had even needed to dye some strands in her mane, which was beginning to show the signs of graying.

The world around the pair was also growing every day. The two ponies were overjoyed and celebrated with their neighbors as they discovered that Dusk Ryder was accepted into not just any guard troop, but the one in Canterlot, tasked with keeping the peace in the capital city of the nation. A celebration was thrown and there was much merriment all around. Summer Dawn and Key Drift were very happy, but also showed a little sadness. The next day, their little foal would move on, leaving the couple alone in their house.

Daisy had comforted her friend, reminding her of all the good that Dusk would be able to do with the Canterlot guard, and used Justice to help explain some of his duties. Summer was touched her friends were so thoughtful, but knew that she would soon have an empty home. As the night got late, and their friends left, Daisy waved goodbye from her doorstep, a tear falling past her smile.

Closing the door, she turned and said, "It's so sad. To think that stallion is the little colt we used to foalsit for. And now he's moving on to being a guard." Seeing Justice gathering a scroll and inkwell, she asked, "It's amazing how much he's grown, isn't it?" Justice nodded, walking over to the desk to pick up a quill and settle himself. "What are you doing anyways? I get the feeling that you aren't even listening!"

Justice stopped his progress and turned to his wife, looking long and hard at her for a few moments, then smiled gently. "I am listening to you, and it makes me both sad and proud to see him leave. I'm actually writing a letter to Princess Celestia to keep an eye out for Dusk." He smiled, casting a sideways glance, "Any pony trained by you and I is going to be one of the best, my dear." He set back to his writing, a grin on his face.

"Justice no!" Daisy said, walking quickly towards her husband, who blocked her away from the scroll. "I want him to earn a position, to work his way up the ladder, the feel his accomplishments. Don't do anything to ruin that, I beg you." She kept trying to wrestle her way around his outstretched wings, to no avail.

Folding one of his wings, causing the earth pony to lurch forwards, Justice shot around and held her close, kissing her gently on her forehead. "I would never do anything to ruin his career, my love. I want to just let the princess know that there is a highly capable recruit that will be coming soon, one she will want to watch. It doesn't mean she'll give him any favors; heck, probably she'll make things tougher for him, knowing he can handle it. I promise that he'll rise to the challenge and make his parents proud."

The two embraced, smiling warmly with each other, and then Justice continued his writing. Daisy looked out the window, watching the lights of their neighbor's house turning off. "It's going to seem so different, you know? I mean, he won't be there, running with us in the morning. He won't be there helping Drift with repairs to the house. And I feel so bad for Summer, she seemed so sad, so downtrodden. It seemed like this was taking a lot out of her, like she was getting a little haggard. I think I'll take her to a spa tomorrow to try to get her looking better."

Justice's quill stopped, as he closed his eyes and froze. Turning to his wife, who he loved deeply, he saw her turn, the sadness and worry causing her own few wrinkles to stick out, and smiled sadly. "I think that's a wonderful idea, one that she will appreciate and enjoy." He went back to writing, missing the concerned look his wife had given him.

Walking over to Justice, sure she had seen something more than his words provided, she rubbed his back and asked, "What's the matter? You seem more sad all of the sudden." She saw a tear building in the corner of his eye as he shook his head. "Justice," she said, reaching a hoof out and stopping his quill. Turning his face towards hers, and seeing the ageless eyes shining in pain, she asked, "Justice, what is wrong? Is it the voice?"

Justice winced, his wife cutting the problem to the core, and nodded slightly. "I'm just dealing with something that... I didn't realize was going to come so soon." Seeing his wife looking a little confused, he stood, walking her to the bedroom and standing beside her in front of the mirror. "Honey, what do you see when you look in the mirror?"

Daisy looked at their reflection, confused and worried, and said, "What do you mean? I see us!"

Justice sighed slightly, stepping her closer to the mirror and said, "What do you see when you look at you?" He pointed at her in the mirror. "Look closely."

"Justice, I see me," Daisy said, she smiled a little, believing that she was the butt of a joke. She turned to her husband, not seeing him smiling, and asked, "What am I supposed to be seeing?"

Justice leaned in and kissed her cheek. Turning her towards the mirror, he said, "Let me start with what I see. I see the pony I am pleased to spend my entire life with. I see the pony that I first fell in love with, the very instant I saw her. I see a wise pony, a talented pony, and a pony who is as strong as I am." Daisy smiled, the adulation making her feel nice. "But, now I want to say what the rest of the world sees. They see a pony who is mature and graceful. They see a lovely mare, who is starting to gray a little in her mane. They see some wrinkles, but realize that a pony of...her age...would have them."

Justice grimaced as he went, watching Daisy's smile and happy feeling fall off. He watched as she looked closer at the tiny things, and her smile fell to a frown. She turned at that moment, looking over at her husband, the pony who literally looked the same as the day she met him. She saw his young face, tight muscles along his neck and legs, and his full, flowing mane. She looked him in his eyes, and felt herself starting to cry.

Justice reached out, pulling her close into a hug, patting her back to try to calm her down. "No," she said, trying to pull away slightly. "No, I'm old and ugly. You don't want me, you should have somepony beautiful."

Justice pulled her close again. "I have the most beautiful pony in Equestria right here. I cannot imagine spending any time with anypony other than you. I didn't mean to make you think you are ugly, you aren't. Look! Look in the mirror." He turned her, facing her towards the mirror. "I see the same ponies that fell in love eighteen years ago, still going strong, still loving deeply, and getting through their issues together. But look at us as somepony else would. What they see is a pony that looks twenty-eight and a pony that is a little older."

Daisy sniffed, looking at the differences between the two. Justice continued," You look great for your age, my love. There aren't any other forty year old ponies that are as fit and beautiful as you. But you have to admit that at some point, we can't pretend for much longer. Eventually, the difference will be too big."

Daisy sobbed again, choking on her sorrow. "What can we do? How do we explain it?"

Justice looked his wife in the eyes. "We have two options, options I have been dreading for some time recently. When we officially can't hide our secret anymore, we either tell about it and take what comes with that, or we move on."

Daisy started bawling, shaking her head and crying out, "It isn't fair. It isn't fair." She turned to her husband, seeing the pain and sadness in his eyes, and hugged him tight. "I need some time, it can't be time yet!"

Justice hugged her, thinking the same thing. "I agree. We can make this last a little longer. I'm not ready to say goodbye to Drift or Summer just yet, and doing so right after Dusk left would be a crime. I promise you, we have more time, but we have to be realistic and acknowledge the time is coming." He held his wife's hooves and kissed her gently, kissing a tear away. "I love you."

Daisy nodded, mumbling a response, and was led to the bedroom by her husband. She awoke, seeing the world in a different view than the previous day, but determined to make the most of what time she had left in Manehattan.

The day had come, the two ponies in agreement. The past ten years had been fantastic for the couple, spending as much time as they could with their friends, making as many memories as possible in the city, but the time had finally run out. Daisy's wrinkles were more prominent each day and her eyes and cheeks seemed to droop slightly, her mane took more effort to dye as the graying patches spread, her eyes began to struggle slightly, causing her to need glasses, and her morning runs with Justice were becoming more strained.

Daisy had decided it wouldn't be so bad, her neighbors aging much less gracefully, except she had the young, fit, and handsome pegasus living under the same roof. Whenever the two ponies were seen together, the differences were difficult to ignore. After explaining how Justice put a lot of work into his appearance, and swearing that he was much older than he looked, the two realized there was no hiding it any more. With a heavy heart and saddened mind, the two decided they needed to move on.

A small dinner with their best friends in Manehattan led to tears and laughs, the group discussing the memories from twenty-two years of friendship. Daisy and Summer were in tears, promising to write often and visit if they could. Drift and Justice smiled, happy of the great friendship they had all developed. As the night ended, and the ponies said their goodbyes, there was quite a lot of hugging and crying all around.

The next morning, Justice and Daisy packed up their things, a moving company helping to get the bigger items moved, and grabbed a train back to Vanhoover. Justice, seeing their original house was still unoccupied, surprised his wife by saying that they were moving back to the home where it all began.

As they sat on the train, Daisy looked over at her husband and saw the sadness growing on his face. "Justice?" she asked, putting a hoof on his leg, "are you ok?"

Justice sighed, turning a sad smile to his wife. "I've really enjoyed the time with our friends in Manehattan. It's always so hard to say goodbye, knowing that there is no more chance I'll see them again." He looked back out the window, longingly at the city as it fell away in the distance.

"But Justice, we'll see them again!" Daisy said, rubbing her hoof down his back. "I promised Daisy that we would write often, and they said they'd love to come out and visit from time to time. This wasn't 'goodbye', just 'see you later.'"

Justice closed his eyes, wiping a tear from his face. "I will enjoy writing with them, but think about it, honey. The reason we couldn't stay was because I look no different after all these years. We can't let them see me after even more years go by. Whenever they come to visit, I'll have to be away."

Daisy hugged her husband, her tears flowing more fully. "Oh Justice. How often have you had to do this? How many times have you had to throw away your old life and start anew? How can you even do it? Sweet Celestia!"

Justice hugged his wife back, a genuine smile spread across his face. "Before you, I tried to stay as antisocial as I could. That makes leaving a lot easier, when there aren't any ponies to feel sorry to leave. I'm so happy that everything's changed because of you. I will remember Summer Dawn and Key Drift fondly for years, all because of you." He kissed her on her lips, pulling back and wiping away a tear. "I love you more than I can even explain."

The two sat in silence for most of the rest of the trip home, holding each other in a loving embrace. When they arrived back in town, they excitedly moved back to their original house, plenty of fix-up work needed from years of disrepair. Justice took to the work hard, using the time to try to make the house everything his wife would want. Daisy set immediately to writing to Summer and letting her know about the trip, and the "new" house.

Life was simple for the two ponies. Justice worked his vegetable garden again, using the quite time alone to work on his ability to ignore the voice in his head. Ever since moving back to Vanhoover, Nightmare Moon's wicked remarks had picked up, constantly reminding the stallion of the age of Daisy. He relished the times when he was able to put the evil mare in the back of his head, effectively turning off the sound completely.

Daisy busied herself with matters around the house and even took up a few craft projects, selling her finished products in town for a little extra money. The two were not in want, Justice still using his spoils from adventuring, but Daisy felt like she needed to contribute. She smiled every week when Justice would bring her breakfast in bed and the two lived in harmony for many years.

One day, much later in life, Justice was picking flowers for Daisy, his special anniversary tradition, to go along with the breakfast he would be making her later. As he entered the house, he peeked in on her, smiling at her graceful, aged form asleep still, and ducked out quietly to prepare her meal. Walking in a short time later, meal in hoof, he gently rubbed her side to wake her, smiling and saying, "Daisy, my love, wake up and prepare your taste buds."

His smile faded slightly when he realized she wasn't responding. He leaned closer, the food being put aside, and listened closely. Feeling her chest rise and fall with breathing, and hearing her heart beating, made him feel a little better. He redoubled his efforts, gently shaking the pony slightly. "Daisy, wake up. Please don't joke with me."

The pony's eyes fluttered open slightly, a small grunt escaping her mouth, and she smiled warmly. "Justice," she said, sounding weak. "Good morning! Oh! Is that breakfast again? But it isn't... Oh, flowers! My favorite too. Is it already our anniversary?" Finally noticing the worried look from her husband, Daisy asked, "What's wrong? You look so sad."

Justice felt a tear build in the corner of his eye and shook his head. "How could I be sad? I have the most wonderful, beautiful mare in all of Equestria right here in front of me. Yes! I'm glad you liked the flowers. I made sure they were arranged the way you like them." By the time he finished his thought, he was opening sobbing. "How are you feeling? Are you ok?"

Daisy smiled warmly, but felt sad for her love. "No. I don't think I can feel my legs, or even my hips. Oh Justice, do you think this is it? After all this time? Oh, and on our anniversary too. I'm so sorry, my love." A sniffle accompanied her apology, one that Justice shook off.

"You have nothing to apologize for. If today is the last day I spend with you, I will count it with the others as the happiest day I've ever had. I've been the luckiest pegasus there ever was, to be married to somepony as special as you these past eighty years."

Daisy's eyes went a little wide. "It has been eighty years, hasn't it? Oh goodness, that makes me one hundred and two years old. However did that happen? Oh I must look wretched too."

Justice smiled, his tears continuing to stream, "Time flew by when we weren't prepared for it. But I promise you, you look just as wonderful to me today as you ever had." He leaned down and kissed her gently on her wrinkled forehead.

Daisy mocked shock, "Well, I never. Are you saying I looked like a ratty old bag all these years? For shame!" She smiled warmly at her husband's small burst of laughter. "If today really is the end, I want you to know that I never regretted a thing. Getting to spend time with you was such a treat, and knowing how much I meant to you is such an honor. I love you Beaming Justice."

Justice wiped his tears, holding his wife's hoof in his. "I love you too, Daisy Cutter. More than anypony has ever loved another. These eighty years have been the best of my entire life, and I wouldn't take a single day back." He laid beside her, snuggling with her as gently as he could. "Are you scared? Is there anything you need, any help I can be?"

Daisy felt a tear building in her eyes, grateful for her husband's strength, but feeling so much sadness for what was to come. "I'm not scared. I feel worse for you." She turned her head towards him, looking at the side of his head as he stared into the ceiling. "Justice, will you be ok? What'll happen to you? I'm so worried about you, my dear."

Justice stared into the distance, hearing the words of his wife, but also hearing the laughter he had been blocking for decades, slowly creeping back in. Don't you dare. Not today. Today is just me and Daisy. "Don't worry about me. I'll get along; I'll be strong. Don't worry about tomorrow, there'll be time enough for sadness when you've gone. But for today, let me just hold you and be happy some more."

Daisy sobbed silently, knowing that her husband was lying for her benefit, but cuddled with him anyways. The two sat together all day, holding each other close, and reminiscing about all the fun, the adventures, the ponies, and the love they had experienced in a lifetime together.

It was late that night, as the sun was setting in the west, that Daisy whispered softly into Justice's ear, "I think it's happening. I can't feel my chest. Oh Celestia, is my heart even beating anymore?"

Justice smiled down, calming her fears instantly, and said, "If it isn't, then my heart will beat for both of us. It'll beat, for you and I, forever." He watched as the light slowly vanished from her eyes, her body falling ever so limp, but her smile remaining, looking up at him. He laid with her for some time longer, not wanting to get up, not wanting to move. Finally, he went outside, next to the grave they had dug together all those years before for Devon Cook, and dug a new hole. As he finished the last load of dirt, he broke down into tears and convulsed with pain and sadness.

His suffering had been heard by a neighbor pony, who had happened to be passing nearby the property lines. Looking across the field and seeing Justice mourning next to a fresh grave, the pony figured out the problem and approached respectively. Reaching out to assist the distraught pony, he helped Justice carry Daisy out and lower her into the grave, as well as putting the dirt in for him. Giving his condolences, and offering any help the young pegasus would need, he headed into town to make a report with the coroner.

Two days after the coroner's report was official, and Daisy Cutter was removed from the town's census, word was received in Canterlot. Princess Celestia had assigned a pony to checking the news from Vanhoover for a few years, knowing that the day would come when the lovely young mare would pass on. She read a wonderful obituary detailing some of the kind things that Daisy had done for the town, and a mention that she had grown and lived most of her very long life in Vanhoover. Princess Celestia was a little shocked, but understood, when she read about the one surviving relative, a young pegasus grandchild of the deceased. She boarded a special carriage to head out and provide help as Justice might need.

Princess Celestia showed up in the quaint little mountain home, smiling warmly at the parcels and condolence gifts that littered the living room of the house. In the week between Daisy Cutter's death and Princess Celestia's arrival, the town had shown its support of the young pegasus, though he could barely react. Finding Justice outside, standing over Daisy's grave and crying slightly, Princess Celestia asked, "Beaming Justice, are you going to be ok? I'm so sorry for your loss."

Justice didn't even turn, but nodded slightly. "Thank you, I appreciate your visit. I... I don't know if I'm ok though. I'm trying my hardest to do what you've told me in the past. But every time I think back to a happy day, a happy moment, all I see is the empty days ahead. I'd gotten so used to having somepony special in my life, somepony I could share everything with, somepony who would share my love... And now I'm all alone... I'm all alone again."

Princess Celestia put a reassuring hoof on his back. "Justice, you aren't alone. I'm here to help you. I'm here to be your friend and get you through this. It'll be tough, going from the life you've had to moving forward with a new existence, but trust me, you'll get there, in time."

Justice shook his head a tiny amount. "Daisy had once asked me what I was most afraid of. She expected me to say Nightmare Moon, or something like that, but I really upset her with my answer. I'd said, 'I'm afraid of getting stuck. I'm afraid of getting lost somewhere or getting caught where I can't get out. I'm afraid of suffering through the loneliness and pain without end, without even the sweet release of death.'" Turning to the Princess, he said, "I can't believe it finally happened. My fear has come true. I have nothing to live for. I can't move, I feel trapped, and I have no reason to fight it."

Princess Celestia pulled back slightly, the complete emptiness of the eyes in front of her causing her more than just shock. The pony in front of her was more than broken, for she had seen a broken pony before. The pony in front of her was shattered, almost a blank slate, as if he was nothing more than a statue. She begged Justice to return with her, telling him that she wanted him to train again, or help with diplomacy issues. She implored him to at least come back so he was closer if he ever wanted to talk. All of her requests fell on deaf ears, the pegasus honestly not even able to hear her words.

With a shake of his head, Justice told the princess, "Celestia, you've done so much to help me over the years. I'm grateful that you showed up today, but there is nothing for me to do now. Please leave me to my mourning, please let me stay here with my wife and memories. Maybe one day I will take you up on your offer and come back to Canterlot, but I'll need time." He turned back towards his wife's gravestone and laid down in front of it, his head resting on the small dirt mound.

Princess Celestia promised to give the pony a few months, saying she would return to check on him in time, and wishing him good luck in his troubled times. After returning to her carriage, and being brought back to Canterlot, she felt a tear fall down her face for the friend she couldn't help.



Rapid Quill put down his quill and re-read over the scroll. He rolled it up, tying it off and placing it next to the other scroll he had written earlier in the day. Rubbing his eyes, both in exhaustion and to clear the dried tears, he walked out into the library to thank Spike for his help. He questioned where Twilight was, getting nothing more than a shrug from the dragon.

"All I know is she told me to make sure you stayed here all day," Spike said, impassively. "As far as I can tell, I've succeeded." He pointed a claw over his shoulder, noting the darkness of dusk as it cast shadows across Ponyville.

"Keep me here?" Quill said, cocking his head to the side slightly. "What for? Well, whatever the reason, thank you again for helping me today. I had a very productive day."

Spike shrugged his shoulders, turning back to his comic book, and said, "Eh, it's what I do."

Quill smiled and walked out of the library, heading towards his home. As he turned the corner, his house now in sight, he was startled to see the lights were on and shadows were moving about inside. He approached his house at the same time that Twilight and all her friends were exiting. He waved at them, walking up quickly, and asked what they were up to.

Fluttershy grinned at the author and said, "Twilight told us that you were in a bit of a mess this morning, so we asked how we could help."

Rarity said, "When she told us of the...eh...condition of your house, I suggested we help spruce the place up a bit. Needless to say, it was a bit more work than we had thought." She trailed off a bit, noticing Rapid Quill's embarrassment.

Pinkie popped up between the two ponies and laughed in Quill's face, "Yeah, it was a doozy of a mess. I mean, how can one pony make such a mess? You had all sorts of disgusting things that needed to be...OOF!" She shouted as she was brusquely pulled away.

Apple Jack finished pulling Pinkie from the ever redder pony and, adjusting her hat, said, "Ah think what Pinkie meant, was it wasn't a problem, sugarcube. We were glad to help y'all out."

Rainbow Dash snorted slightly, mumbling about her day's plans being wasted. This drew a stern look from everypony.

"Well, I can't thank you enough, all of you, for helping me today. I'm very grateful, honestly." He thanked all the girls with a hoofshake and then waved goodbye as they walked off. Turning back to see Twilight's concerned face, he said, "I can't believe you asked them to help me. How bad was it?"

Twilight giggled slightly, "Oh, it wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. Though, there was quite a mess. But enough about that, how are you feeling? Were you able to get your continuation written?"

Quill smiled, tiredly, and pulled out the two scrolls from his bag. "I was able to write two new chapters and yes, they were the totality of the nightmare that has plagued me for some time. It wasn't easy, trust me. But I'm glad I did it. I'm sure my client will be pleased, I've never written so much in one day."

Twilight excitedly looked at the scrolls but, controlling herself, she noticed the dried tear paths along the pony's face. "Well, that's fantastic! I'm glad you were able to get so much done." She looked curiously at the pony. "Who did commission this story? I'd be very interested in finding out. I thought you were just writing it for yourself."

Quill smiled, deciding to play his favorite trick. "Ok, here you go. Can you keep a secret?" Seeing the pony nod and step closer, hoping for a whispered secret. "I can too." He replied with a smile. Twilight stepped back, a little dejected, then smiled. She took a step forward, grasping slightly for a scroll. "I'd very much like to read what you have, if you don't mind."

Quill smiled, a large yawn breaking Twilight's spell. "That's nice, but I think I'm going to hold this one close to my chest for now. I really am grateful for all your help today, both in getting me out of my funk, letting me borrow your study, and even cleaning up my house today. I don't think I could thank you enough." Another yawn, broke his sentence, and his eyelids began to droop again. "I'm so sorry Twilight but I need to try to sleep. Especially if the dreams come back."

Twilight nodded, feeling bad that for the exhausted author. "Of course, of course. Well...good night then! Good luck with your rest." She waved nicely and turned to head back to her library, a knowing smile on her face.

Rapid Quill entered his house, noticing the changes immediately. He could tell that Rarity had a big influence on the property. Prepared for help cleaning the house of the debris, dirt, and filth that his forced insomnia had caused, he was not ready for the new furniture, curtains, paint, and overall layout. He almost felt like he needed to check the front again to make sure it was his house. He smiled warmly, genuinely grateful for the day the girls had spent to make his spirits pick up. As he was thinking this, he felt a slight dizzy spell and realized that sleep was a long time coming.

He put the scrolls down at his writing desk, which thankfully hadn't been changed too much, and headed for his bedroom, feeling like every step would be his last for the night. He felt relieved, flopping down upon the mattress, asleep before his head hit the bed.