• Published 2nd Oct 2012
  • 2,221 Views, 29 Comments

Forever Is a Long Time - Hoosier Brony



A tale of a pony who is cursed to never die

  • ...
4
 29
 2,221

Chapter 14: Introspection

The bell on the front door of Rapid Quill’s bookstore rang, signaling the entrance of a visitor. Listening to the distinct foot sounds of his expected guest, Rapid Quill called out from his workstation, “Hi Spike! Glad you could make it.”

“Yeah, well, I’m always willing to help a pony in need,” Spike said, his chest proudly puffed out. “Twilight said that you might need some help?”

“Yes sir!” Quill said, a smile across his face. Twilight had asked that Spike be distracted while she and the girls got his birthday party set up in the library. Seeing as he wanted to get some more work done on his story, Rapid Quill offered to have the dragon help him in his shop for the day. “You see, I’m very excited about the next portion of my story, but I have to run the store as well. Do you think you can help find and sell books for ponies as they walk in?”

“Really?” Spike asked, accusingly. Counting on his claws he added, “I live in a library. I’m surrounded by books. I’m Twilight’s number one assistant. I think I can handle a responsibility as small as this.”

“Ok,” Quill chuckled, “I’ll be in the back if you need anything. Feel free to read something if you get tired. I think I have the newest Power Ponies.”

With that, Spike hurriedly began to search for the comic section, gently, but enthusiastically, grabbing the new comic book and settling down at the counter. Rapid Quill smiled, glad he could help a friend and get some personal work done, and turned towards his desk. Unrolling a new scroll, he began:


After reconnecting with his friends, Beaming Justice found himself pulling out of the depression that had slowly been eating at him. The voice of Nightmare Moon still haunted his dreams, causing him to awaken in colt sweats often. Luckily, when he awoke, he was reminded of his company and felt a warm happiness spread from within.

The three ponies had begun traveling, intent on seeing more of the world than just Willowhill. Chase would tell of the sights he’d seen while working as a coach driver and Justice would recount some of the many places he had been in time. As they traveled, they built back up the friendship that the years had fractured. Justice found himself thinking that everything was beginning to look up once again, until they reached the city of Fillydelphia.

As they passed a newspaper vendor, returning to their hotel exhausted from a day’s worth of sightseeing, a headline caught Justice’s attention. The headline read, “Shining Light, Captain of the Royal Guard, passes away.” Beaming Justice stopped suddenly, causing the other two ponies to turn, concern spreading at their friends odd behavior.

Reading the newspaper, Blowing Storm said, “Well I’ll be.” He knew of Justice’s time with the Royal Guard and had heard stories of Shining Light. It was even because of Shining Light’s warning that the three were prepared for the griffon invasion. Turning to his old friend, sticking a hoof out to lay on his shoulder, he asked, “Are you ok?”

Justice just stood in shock. He had traveled with his two friends, the colt he watched grow into an adolescent stallion now being full grown and his partner he worked a farm with for years who now sported an arched back, drooping wrinkles, and a cane, for some time now, but he hadn’t fully contemplated their aging and his lack of aging until this moment.

“I worked alongside Shining Light. We were equals, we trained together, we fought each other on issues, but I still harbored respect for him. I didn’t think…I mean, I hadn’t considered… He’s passed away and I’ve never changed.” With that, Beaming Justice began walking towards the hotel, not a word being spoken. His two friends respectively trailed behind, letting him deal with the conflict inside.

Once they reached their shared quarters, Justice turned and, with a hint of pain, said, “I think I need to go. I’ll be back, but I need to go pay my respects.” Dream Chaser and Blowing Storm nodded in agreement and told him they would meet him back in Willowhill when he was done. With that, the three ponies parted ways.

The trip to Canterlot was not a pleasant one for Beaming Justice. After parting with his close friends, he had begun to reflect on the mix of emotions he was feeling. He regretted having paid no visit to Shining Light in all his travels, as well as the troublesome times when they were equals in the Royal Guard. Now I’ll never get another chance to thank him for the warning with the griffons or apologize for the wrongs I’d done.

He also feared whether any pony he had worked in close approximation with in Canterlot would recognize either himself or his appearance. The last time he had walked through Canterlot was during the delegation with the griffons after the incident in the camp. At that time, he had been away for a little more than a year, his lack of aging not being noticeable. Will anypony know me? Will they think I’m a freak like Chase did when he found out?

The worst feeling of all was the sudden realization that, in time, his only two friends would also die, hopefully of a long, healthy life. Shining Light was just the first in a line of ponies he knew, was close to, or even loved that would pass away, all while he watched, never getting any closer to his own death. The thought of losing anypony brought back memories of his friends Aurora, Steel, and Swift. Though, they didn’t get the chance to live and pass peacefully. He shuddered, remembering Aurora’s cries of insane agony.

As the Canterlot skyline approached, and the wagon slowed for the crowds, Justice was able to peak at all the pomp displays around the city. The first ever Captain of the Royal Guard had passed and the city mourned appropriately. Along the streets were different displays of Shining’s likeness, his accomplishments, and memorials provided by the ponies that lived nearby.

Not having a place to stay at, and not sure if there was even a room to rent due to the crowds coming for the funeral, Justice asked to be taken to the castle. Once dropped off, he approached the Royal Guards stationed outside and asked for a chance to talk to Princess Celestia. The ponies decided to humor the pegasus in front of them and, taking his name, sent a runner in to request time from the Princess. While they waited for a reply, the two guards were slightly amused at how the pegasus held his place, watching the ponies walking by, almost like a guard. Amazingly, the runner returned with a steward, who would lead the odd pegasus into the grand hall for an audience with the Princess.

Justice’s presence was announced by a crier, causing Princess Celestia to look up from the parchment she had been reviewing, a smile spreading across her face. “Beaming Justice, it’s so nice to see you again.” She approached the pegasus, asking the other ponies to give them a little privacy.

“I do wish I could’ve returned under better circumstances,” Justice said, a mixture of sorrow and relief pouring out. He was concerned about how the Princess would greet him, after he refused her help the last time he had seen her. “I’m very sorry it took me almost fifty years to return.”

“But look at you. You haven’t changed at all,” Princess Celestia said, a slight smile signaling her joke. “Come, tell me everything.” With that, the two ponies sat and talked, describing the many events that had occurred for both since the griffon incident. Eventually, Justice turned the conversation towards his reason for arriving in Canterlot.

“I saw that Shining Light had passed. I’m sorry for your loss,” Justice said, noticing the frown across the Princess’ face.

“Yes, working together with Shining Light allowed us to form a nice friendship,” she replied. Looking up, a change came across her face, from sadness to determination. “His skills were unmatched, his friendship a blessing. I will honor both his legacy and my memories with a grand funeral tomorrow.”

Justice was shocked. How can she so suddenly switch from sadness to happiness? he wondered.

“What's your secret?” Justice said, choking up a little. A tear appeared in his eye. “I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that somepony I grew up with had passed, and the fact that my friends now will pass in time too. How do you get over the passing of a good friend that easily, especially knowing you aren’t aging like they are?”

Upon seeing his confusion, the Princess gave a slight chuckle.

“Beaming Justice, don’t you understand that death is never the end of a pony?” she asked in a bemused, kindly tone. “So long as his memory remains in the minds and hearts of the ponies he touched, Shining Light will never die. I will carry memories of the times we shared, both in times of fun and trouble, with me forever. In this way, I will honor him.”

The princess stood, walking around the room, stopping at statues of ponies spread throughout the grand hall. “I have lived for a very long time, Beaming Justice. In that time, I have made many good friends and watched as they grew old and passed away. It is a natural course of life. But I have never forgotten my friends or the fun times we had. I hold those memories dear to my heart.”

She sat back down with a smile at the pegasus, who shook slightly. But nothing about my case is natural, he thought. I will never die like the friends I have. What will become of me? He closed his eyes, causing a single tear to fall. Suddenly he jumped slightly, a soft hoof landing on his back.

“Beaming Justice, I would really like to help you with your situation. I’m not sure if there is a cure, for the black magic that Nightmare Moon controlled was very powerful, but, if you are willing, I would like to attempt to help. You can take your time, as I know you left last time to return to your friends and will want to do so again, but please let me help when you can.”

Sniffing away his sorrow, finding himself filling with hope and joy, Justice was only able to nod in agreement with the princess’ offer. “I promise I will come back. It won’t take me fifty years this time, hopefully.” At this, the two ponies shared a laugh.

The next morning, Justice awoke in his castle suite. The princess had been kind enough to let him stay as a guest of the castle, as he had no other options in town. After stretching away his sleepiness, which was noticeable due to the most comfortable bed he had slept in for quite some time, Justice walked over to the window, throwing back the shades.

Outside, the city was cast in a dark grey shade, as storm clouds shuffled by overhead. In respect for the mourning the town was doing, the weather pegasi had been ordered to provide a slight rain for later in the day, after the funeral procession had finished. Down on the street, a few ponies were milling around, the normal amount of energy replaced with a sorrowful lethargy.

Justice dressed himself, turning down the assistance of the tailor pony provided for special guests, and headed down for the procession. Starting on the outskirts of the town, the casket would be led through the main thoroughfares of the city, winding its way to the castle steps, where a small funeral ceremony would be performed, and Shining Light’s body would be entombed in the Royal Mausoleum. As Justice found a spot to stand, along the road approaching the main staircase leading to the castle, he couldn’t help but look around at the thousands of ponies who also lined along the street, somberly paying their respects.

Hardly a word was spoken by those lining the streets, but an even deeper hush fell across the crowd as the procession began to appear on the horizon. Lined up in the front of the group was a small battalion of earth pony guards, in rows of five, followed by the casket, decorated ornately and being levitated by six unicorns, stationed on all sides, and flying overhead was a v-shaped formation of pegasi. As the casket passed, those ponies lining the streets looked on with tearful eyes, the military ponies in their ranks saluting a fallen companion.

The ceremony, overseen by Princess Celestia herself, reflected and amplified the respect that was deserved by Shining Light for all his service. Justice was permitted entry to the ceremony, but decided to remain in the back, out of fear that he would be recognized. He was thoroughly impressed with all the adulations being bestowed upon his old colleague.

Whenever he found himself becoming saddened by a new speaker pony, he remembered the princess’ comments from the night before and brought back another memory of Shining Light. Though they had had their falling out due to a difference of opinions in how to handle their troops and especially the torture (which Justice attempted to block out of his mind), Justice was still able to bring back many good memories of the two training together in boot camp, challenging each other to make themselves the best they could, and Shining’s genuine gratitude for the role Justice played in the griffon camp. These memories were enough to convince Justice that Shining Light would always be honored.

After the completion of the funeral proceedings, Justice took his leave, eager to get back to his friends in Willowhill. I want to make sure that the memories I have of my time with them are more numerous and joyous than anypony else, he had decided. Upon his return, he gave Chase and Storm a detailed breakdown of the wonderful memorial and what Princess Celestia had told him, bringing a smile to the group.

As time passed, the three friends remained close, but all good things come to an end eventually. One afternoon, Justice was out making the small deliveries around town for a local shop, when he was hurriedly approached by an acquaintance from the town with bad news. After hearing the shocking news, Justice took off, flying as fast as he could to the apartment he shared with the others.

As he approached the apartment building, he passed two doctor ponies, grim expressions on their faces. It appeared the Blowing Storm wouldn’t make it through the night. Old age had caught up to the pegasus.

As Justice entered the room, he found Dream Chaser sitting by his father’s side, holding his hoof, the two quietly conversing as the elder pony passed on his final message to his son. As Chase’s eyes caught Justice, they softened a little and he gave a nod.

“Justice?” whispered the elderly pony. “Come here, I need to talk.”

Over the last few years, age hadn’t been kind to the pegasus. His wrinkles had both spread out further and deepened, his eyesight having begun to fail, but most of all, his feathers had begun to fall out. The late stages of his life had only exasperated these conditions, as he only saw a slight blur standing in the doorway, but instantly knew who had come to pay their last respects.

“Storm…” Justice said, his voice cracking with sorrow. “Not yet, my friend. It can’t be time yet.” He walked over, taking the opposite position from Chase, looking down on one of the few ponies he had ever felt true friendship with. “Does it hurt? Are you in pain?”

A pitiful chuckle escaped the weakened pony’s lips. “No, no. The doctors were insistent on medication for that.” He looked up, his expression becoming sterner. “And don’t you worry about this old pony, you little foal.” With that, he smiled, always enjoying a moment to jab at his companion’s youthful appearance. “I want you to do something for me. Remember when we used to stay up late, after putting Chase to bed, and talk about our adventures and dreams? Those were some of the happiest moments I have with you.”

As tears fell down Justice’s cheeks, he nodded, unable to speak. The two had shared stories of experiences the other had not experienced. Justice told of monsters fought, battles won, dignitaries met, and the benefits of living in Canterlot. Storm had discussed his visits as a mail carrier, the time he had met his wife, their experiences with trying to have a foal, and then his raising Chase.

“I want you to go back to who you were, back when you were happiest. Go adventuring again, fight your fights and protect the ponies of Equestria. I won’t be here soon and you aren’t stuck here in this town like I was. You’ve been given a gift, my old friend. You will see more than either of us can even imagine. You can do what no pony can, even defy death. Don’t waste this opportunity.” With these words spoken, the sick pony sighed heavily, and fell into a deep slumber. One that would not be broken before his final breath was taken.

Justice looked up at Chase, both ponies entrenched in sorrow. The two remained by the bedside until well into the night, when the rhythmic rising and falling of his chest ceased. The next afternoon, in a quiet cemetery outside Willowhill, Blowing Storm was laid to rest in a small funeral. There were no parades, no lines of saluting ponies, and no big speeches. A small collection of ponies from the town came out to pay their respects, but the group dispersed shortly after, leaving behind his son and the young pony the two were often seen with.

Back at the apartment, hard cider at their disposal, the two friends discussed the life of Blowing Storm, making sure to laugh about the fun times as much as cry for the hole in their family. The two had decided to follow the advice of their comrade. Justice was going to go back to Canterlot to see about finding some way to help the ponies of Equestria, and Chase was tasked with finding a special somepony before it was too late. The two had to laugh at the stunningly different life choices that Storm had suggested for them, but wanted to respect his wishes. With a promise to visit and write as often as possible, Beaming Justice left Willowhill the next day.


“Uh, Rapid Quill?” Spike said from the doorway leading to the shop. “There’s a couple of ponies here that are asking about a book they put on hold. Should I give it to them or do they still need to pay?”

“Mhmm,” Rapid Quill responded, deeply entrenched in his writing. To be honest, he hadn’t even realized the young dragon had walked in, deliberating on the next arc of his story. “Yes, that’s good, that’ll work.”

“So, just give them the book?” Spike asked, a little hesitant to make the wrong move. After receiving another perceived approval, he shrugged his shoulders and proceeded to give away the book, telling the customers that the owner had said not to worry about payment today. With a satisfied grin, Spike set back down to reading his comic, the appreciative pony leaving with a smile.


In a bustling town in the far east of Equestria, near Horseshoe Bay, there is a dingy, dank, and dark tavern that is well known as being a den for some of the toughest characters in all of Equestria. A fight is all but expected every night, to the point where the bloodlust within the tavern will not be satiated without some blood spilling on the ground. This tavern, which has been called by many names over the years, is a known location for both mercenaries, convicted felons, and those who are not afraid to get their hooves, claws, or talons dirty.

It was into this location that Spring Galloway trotted, his notebook tucked under his armpit as he kindly thanked the bouncer pony on duty for his entry. Unbeknownst to the reporter, the bouncer was aware that no pony had been stupid enough to start trouble that night and the crowd was on edge, waiting and wanting the adrenaline rush that a good tussle provides and this skinny dweeb might just be the victim the bar needed to survive another night. Spring walked in, looking around the room, making eye contact with all the vagabonds within, a nervous grin plastered to his face. He took a seat at the bar, between a particularly well built griffon and a one-eyed unicorn with a nasty scowl.

“You want a drink, dead guy?” the bartender asked, chuckling at his own joke, “or should I just throw you outside to these bloodthirsty goons?” The nearby patrons barked guttural laughs and nodded, some pulling out weapons they had, all waiting for the idiotic earth pony’s reply.

“No thank you,” Spring said, suddenly dropping his voice, “I-I mean, give me the hardest stuff you got.” He knew this was a bad idea, he had tried to talk himself out of it on the walk down the shady alley leading to the bar, but he was getting desperate. I wish I at least knew how to sound tough, he thought to himself, sweat beginning to pool up on his skin. It was everything the poor guy could do to not shake himself off his stool.

“I don’t think you understand, son,” the bartender said, honestly baffled by the oblivious pony before him. “If you don’t get out of here soon, there’s going to be trouble. Now, I’m asking you kindly to piss off or else I’m going to have to throw you out.”

“Now listen here, um…sir,” Spring said, his confidence wavering. “I am a paying patron and demand the same service as any of the other stallions or, er, visitors here. Now, I demand my drink.” He added a slight hit to the table with his hoof at this last part, his notebook falling to the floor. As he bent to pick it up, he missed the bartender’s slight shrug and head shake as he backed away and slouched down, out of the way of the incoming bloodbath.

The “patrons” of the bar began to laugh, a few making their way towards the soon-to-be victim, who didn’t even have the presence of mind to look up at the horrors that awaited him. Suddenly, from the back of the room, a figure rose and slowly flew over, landing between those who were approaching the young reporter and the clumsy oaf himself. With a menacing glare, he backed most of the patrons away, his scarred face familiar to many.

Content that none of his notes had fallen from his notebook, the light blue pony picked himself back up, sitting upon his stool and looking around. It appeared his griffon neighbor had moved away, the bartender was nowhere to be seen, and the unicorn on his left had grown wings, changed color, and regrew his eye, both of which were staring down the young stallion. A better understanding would be that the unicorn had also been replaced by a new pegasus.

“Hi there, Spring Galloway,” Spring said, offering a hoof to the pegasus with a gentle grin. The pegasus just continued to stare at him, his expression stony and silent. Spring’s hoof inched back to his side as he continued, “Uh, I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name?”

“You must be some kind of fool to walk in here like you did,” the dark grey, and well toned, pony said. “Your mistakes were as follows: never look anypony in the eye in a place like this, let alone everypony, don’t take a seat between two mercenaries that purposely desire their space, don’t think that dropping your voice is going to make you look tough, and always listen to a bartender.” At this, the earth pony, grabbed his notebook and began scribbling inside it. “And how in all of Tartarus did you think coming here was going to be a good idea?”

The pony looked up from his notes, stopping momentarily to consider his next words. “Well, I needed to meet somepony here tonight. From the looks of it, I’ve met you.” He added a grateful smile and returned to scribbling in his notes.

The pegasus was shocked, genuinely unsure whether he was dreaming or going crazy. Looking down at the notebook, a quill shooting across the pages, he began to chuckle. This brought the attention of not only the earth pony, who paused from his writing but didn’t look up, but also the band of ruffians that had been edging back in, intent to hear the story of the dead pony before it was too late. The chuckle grew into a laugh, growing in volume until the din of the rest of the immediate room in the tavern quieted. “I guess you did meet somepony, you imbecile.”

The pegasus turned sharply, drawing a wince from Spring, and called the bartender over, ordering some hard cider for himself and the foal beside him. The bartender cautiously looked over the shoulders and folded back wings of the pegasus at the crowd that was slowly building behind him before fulfilling the customer’s demand. Of all the frequent lowlifes that visited the bar, this was one of the few who actually paid and his reputation preceded him.

As the two sat in silence, drinking their hard cider, a few of the crowd behind dissipated, sure that there wasn’t going to be any action to enjoy. A few in the crowd, though, harbored worse thoughts, thinking that instead of one idiot to kill, they’d have two, as the known merc must’ve gone soft. Numerous times, the reporter would look at the pegasus to his left and begin to open his mouth, wanting to start a conversation and complete the stupid task he had assigned to himself, but was stopped by a slight shake of the head.

Finally, before the drinks were even completed, the pegasus began to speak, breaking the heavy silence. “Let’s go,” he said, flipping a few bits to the bartender. He stood, making his way to the back door, followed closely by the retreating earth pony. They passed through the crowd, the lead pony pushing his way through, the follower sliding in between angry ponies and griffons, and made their way to the back alley.

“Why the backdoor, if you don’t mind me asking,” Spring said, pulling his notebook back out for a reply. Suddenly, a loud bang was heard from behind as the door swung open and a big earth pony and adolescent dragon appeared.

“I do mind you asking, and I didn’t want to bloody up the front of the bar,” the pegasus said, looking over his shoulder with a wicked grin. “Guys, I ask kindly that you turn back around, go have a drink on me, and forget that you ever saw the dead pony before you.” He tossed a small hoofful of bits towards the pair, who just looked back at him with scowls.

“Give us the fool and we won’t have to kill you too, mate,” the dragon said, his claws glinting in the slight light of the alley.

“I’m afraid I can’t do that, unfortunately,” the pegasus said, with a sigh. He turned himself fully towards the dragon, a few scars that had originally gone unnoticed by Spring showing through his coat. “I’d really hate to have to hurt you two.”

Suddenly, the earth pony lashed out, charging head on at the pegasus. With a loud clap, the pegasus jumped into the air and flew above the brawler, looking down and smiling. With a loud thud, he was surprised by a hit to his side as he was tackled in midair by the dragon. Laughing foolishly, the pegasus fell to the ground with the dragon, striking out where he could and creating a writhing mass of scales and feathers.

During this time, the earth pony was slowing stalking the out of place reporter. Seeing this approach, the pegasus threw the dragon off his back, giving him an extra kick to his side has he fell, and ran over to put himself between the two earth ponies and, with a large shout, exclaimed, “Do you know who I am? I am the Curse of Neighmea! I am the Destroyer of Beasts! I am not one to trifle with!!”

With this, the earth pony hesitated, having heard the rumors of a pony who called himself by that title, but, seeing the quivering pony behind his foe, he charged on. As he approached the boisterous pegasus, he blinked back some sweat, and stopped in his tracks. What had been a pegasus guarding a weak looking no pony was now just the no pony himself, mane blown back by the wind. After taking a second to consider the situation, the earth pony jumped backwards and looked up, barely dodging a diving attack from above.

The speed of the pegasus’ recovery was astounding as he lashed out with a hard kick the instant he landed. The brutish earth pony was not prepared for such a quick attack, and took the full brunt of the kick on his shoulder, hearing a loud, nasty pop as pain seared through his body. With a loud shout, the pony fell backwards, crawling to get away from his opponent.

“Now, listen close and listen well,” the pegasus said, fire burning in his eyes as he slowly approached. “I know you are a hired merc, just like me. The injury you suffered is going to keep you out of commission for six weeks or so. Now, there are two ways we can conclude this fight. Come at me or Spring again and I’ll kill you outright. Or you can…”

“LOOK OUT!” a shout rang out, interrupting the two ponies. Spring had noticed the dragon silently approaching from behind, swooping in to disembowel the pegasus. With a quick sidestep, the pony dodged the attack, picked up at rock nearby, and launched it, hitting the dragon square in the head, knocking him out of the air.

“Or you can pick yourself up, go back to wherever you come from, and heal up,” the pegasus continued, walking towards the injured pony. “Now, what will it be?”

The earth pony nodded in silent agreement, scrambling to his three good feet and hustling away. He cringed when he heard the pegasus shout after him, “And take your young friend back to his nest while you’re at it!”

As the two fighters ran off, their bloodlust depleted, yet only their blood having been spilt, Spring turned towards his protector and saw his retreating form, walking down the other direction of the alley. “Wait!” he shouted, running after the brave pegasus. “Can’t I at least get your name?”

The fighter stopped, looking over his shoulder. “Last mistake, never ask for anypony’s name around here, you stupid foal.” He turned back and began walking away. Spring sat down, a slight dejected look spreading across his face. He had fulfilled what he had desired on this night, took down many good notes, but felt like the night was a failure anyways. With a sigh, he prepared himself to return to his hotel, before being swept up in another incident. “Beaming Justice,” he heard, as the pegasus had turned at the end of the alley and made a motion for him to follow.


“What’s going on in here?!?” a voice called out, awakening Rapid Quill from his story. There was a loud commotion in his store and he heard Spike crying out apologies. ‘Oh horsefeathers!’ Quill thought. Walking through his door, he noticed a group of six or seven ponies all looking downtrodden with Twilight Sparkle lecturing them.

“…and he’s very sorry but you’ll have to either pay or leave, thank you,” she finished saying as Quill approached. Turning to see the confused shopkeeper, she frowned sternly and pointed, “And YOU! What happened to you? You left Spike all alone to watch the store and chaos ensues!”
Quill looked around, watching as customers were leaving his shop, some grumbling under their breath, others saddened by the false promises they were told. “I don’t even know what’s happening right now,” Rapid Quill said. He turned his gaze to Spike, hoping for answers.

Spike stood, worry spreading across his face. With a shout, he ran over and hugged Quill’s forelegs and cried, “I’m so sorry! Lyra and Bon Bon had come in to pick up a book that they said they had put on hold from you. I found the book but there was no notice of payment. I came back and asked you what to do and you said that it was ok to give it to them. Next thing I know, a few other ponies came in and said they had requested books too. I didn’t see any more in the request pile, so I pulled them off of the shelf and let them have the books. I didn’t realize they hadn’t paid. I’m so sorry!!”

Rapid Quill’s light tan coat lost some color as realization hit him. “How many books are we talking about?” he asked, shakily. He looked around and saw a few holes on his shelves, holes that had been filled earlier.

“Oh, maybe six…teen?” Spike said, embarrassment in his voice.”I talked to you! You seemed fine with that.” He looked at Twilight, too ashamed to look at the shocked bookstore owner.

“Spike, surely he just meant that for Lyra,” she said, taking her teaching voice. “Did he explain that to you or was he possibly distracted and not paying attention?” She turned an eye towards Rapid Quill, who began to blush.

“I did concentrate on my writing pretty hard tonight. I didn’t even realize that you and the other ponies were in here at first.” Bashfully, he folded his ears down, cast his gaze at his hooves, and shuffled his steps a little. “Don’t worry too much about it Spike,” Quill said, trying to comfort the dragon. “I’ll just have to track down the customers tomorrow and try to get payment.”

Spike’s mood picked up, happy he wasn’t in trouble. “If you need help, I can help you!” he said, receiving a little tug on his spines. Twilight whispered about how much help he already was and, levitating him up to her back, said her goodbyes to the shop keeper. Quill waved back, not looking forward to the task ahead of him as he tried to receive payment for books already given away, but was glad that Spike had cheered up. ‘And he doesn’t even know that the party is waiting for him when he gets home,’ Quill thought, with a smile.