• Published 1st Sep 2023
  • 248 Views, 36 Comments

Where Have All the Dragons Gone? - Alden MacManx



Captain Crane and the crew of the Voyager get a new assignment: Find the dragons on the Ohio. Easier said than done.

  • ...
1
 36
 248

Chapter 8: Louisville, take two.

“Captain’s diary, November 9th, 2017, 1200 hours.

“We’re now heading downstream, passing the Dashields Lock and proceeding towards Wheeling, hoping to arrive there within a couple of days. This past month or so, we’ve been heading UPstream. Now, we’re going DOWNstream, and the locks are becoming a little more problematic, especially using the narrower passes, with one gate. The two-gate locks should be easier. We’ll find that out once we get to Montgomery Lock.

“Our passenger is settled in, but asked not to be involved with much for a few days. Lucien and Jessica have him in sickbay, examining him closely to figure out what’s up with him. I’ll get a report after lunch.

“Howard Crane, Captain, Mississippi Voyager, out.”

Howard shut off the voice recording and looked over his entry. “I’m getting better at this,” he said to himself before heading down to lunch.


November 11th, the Voyager stopped at Wheeling to pick up the two passengers waiting for them, Alice Smith and Frank De La Rosa. They spent the day scavenging as well as setting up a supply dump of food, tools, fuel, a generator, seeds, and other stuff to help a Returnee. They set up two in different parts of Wheeling, one on the island and one on the southeast side, in storage sheds found at a Home Depot, both garishly colored and labeled, with solar-powered blinking lights. Not powerful, but noticeable, especially at night.

Three days and four locks later, they stopped in Parkersburg, picking up Luke and Chopper, and setting up two more supply dumps, one by the house and another downtown, by the confluence of the Ohio and Little Kanawha rivers.

This went on for another ten days or so, heading downstream in no particular hurry, stopping every day or two to set up a ‘rescue shelter’, taking cover whenever a particularly intense storm line passed through. The passengers pitched in whenever they could, Chopper and Luke showing they knew their way around a kitchen, as did Frank de la Rosa.

Heartfire got the rest he needed, exams done by the doctors showing that when he ‘poured on the coals’, it would take about two weeks for him to recover naturally. Turns out a potion they had could reduce the ‘down time’ to a day, but said potion they only had two of. Phoning ahead to Kansas City had them learning that a case can be special ordered, but delivery, especially in the winter, would be a bit iffy.

Heartfire also started a friendship with another passenger, Brenda Jourdain. After recovering from her Evansville jail injuries, she proved to be a good distance flier, able to cover hundreds of miles a day, with a very accurate navigation sense. If she had been there, and in her prior profession of ‘courier’, she had been to a lot of places, it was no trouble finding it again. If not, a look at a map would be enough for her to ‘get her bearings’ and go there. It became their job to ‘scout ahead’ and check on matters before the ship got there. Of course, this was done only on fair weather days.


November 24, 2017 Ashland, KY

Heartfire and Brenda were flying scout after three days of sitting idle during a snowstorm. The day was clear and cold, the Voyager leaving Kanawha, WV. He took the north bank, she the south, both with radios to keep in touch.

The pair had not gone too far before something caught Brenda’s eye, that being a thin plume of smoke from the south bank. Looking closer, she saw the smoke coming from a boxcar on the tracks south of the river. Closing in, she saw said boxcar was separated from a line of other boxcars, and two others were farther ahead, both burned out. Calling in the sighting, she was given permission to investigate. When her partner closed in, the two flew to the boxcar.

The smoke came from a crude chimney that came out from a hole punched through the wall of the boxcar, then held in place with some kind of mortar. The pair went to the door, Heartfire, being the larger, reached up to knock.

“Come around to the other side! That door is locked and is staying that way!” a voice shouted. The voice had a definite Kentucky accent to it.

“We’ll be right there!” Brenda shouted before trotting around, carefully stepping over the rails, Heartfire following. Brenda was in charge of the mission, because she was senior in time aboard.

On the other side, they found the door partially opened and an earth pony waiting, a brown and white pinto pattern with a light brown mane. “So there are others!” he said with joy. “Thought I was the only one around!”

“No, there are others around and about. I’m Brenda Jourdain, and this is my partner Heartfire. We’re off the riverboat Mississippi Voyager, which is a little ways upstream of us, heading this way. Who are you and how long have you been back?” Brenda asked.

“I’m Malcolm Dwight, from Creelsboro, Kentucky. Been working on railroads for over forty years. Was looking forward to retiring in a month or so, but somehow I think that’s not gonna happen!” he said, chuckling some before going on. “Figure it’s been a couple of weeks. Took a couple of tries to get a stove set up without burning the place down!”

“So that’s what happened to the other boxcars we saw,” Heartfire rumbled.

“Yep!” Malcolm laughed. “Once I learn something, it stays learned, it’s just figuring something new that takes a few tries. Like your butt print, big fellow. Different from mine.” He turned to show his, an old steam locomotive on a set of rails, pointing forward.

“Just what did you do on the railroad, Mister Dwight?” Brenda asked.

Malcolm sat down to think a little. “Damn near everything that didn’t involve being in an office. Track walker, brakeman, conductor, engineer, switchyard worker, I did it. Why do you ask?”

“We know of someone who is trying to get the railroads running again. Would you be interested in joining them?” Brenda asked.

Malcolm didn’t hesitate. “Beats sitting on my ass here waiting for spring. What do I have to do?”

“We can offer you a ride there on the riverboat. Just let me check with the Captain, okay?” Brenda said, pointing to the radio at her side.

“How about I start packing and put the fire out?” Malcolm said with a laugh.

“You do that!” Brenda said as she took off and flew out of earshot before calling the Voyager. Swiftly getting an answer, she flew back to her partner. “Think you can carry him to Voyager? It’s a few miles upstream.”

Heartfire nodded. “Without needing overdrive, I’m sure.”

“Okay, then. Once he comes out, that’s what we’ll do. Make him the offer, and if he’s willing, take him to the Voyager. From what he says, Memphis will be glad to have him,” Brenda told her partner.

“I’m ready, if he’s willing,” Heartfire said firmly.

“Okay, then.” The two flew back to the door, where Malcolm was waiting. “Mister Dwight, are you willing to be flown to the Voyager, or do you want to wait? It’s a few miles upstream,” Brenda told the earth pony.

“Fly? How?” Malcolm asked, visibly confused.

“Simple. I can pick you up in my hooves and carry you,” Heartfire told the smaller pony. “Have no worry, I will not drop you. I will put you down on the deck of the Voyager gently. The flight will only be a few minutes. Are you willing?”

Malcolm didn’t hesitate. “I’m willing. You won’t be offended if I keep my eyes shut on the flight, will you?” he asked. “I’m not used to flying ON the plane. IN the plane, not ON it.”

Both Brenda and Heartfire whinnied with laughter. “Not at all, Mister Dwight! Sooner started, sooner you’re having hot coffee!” Heartfire chuckled.

“Let’s do it!” Malcolm said.

Heartfire lifted off the ground with a few strong flaps of his wings. He moved over the earth pony and settled on top of him. Touching his hooves to each other, he then lifted off, the smaller pony firmly held to the larger pony’s belly. Together, they headed upstream, Brenda trailing at first before moving ahead, following the river to Kanawha, where the Voyager was making its way downstream on the gasifier. It was only a fifteen minute flight before they touched down on the Voyager’s foredeck.

Malcolm’s eyes snapped open. “That was a quick flight! Thank you, Mister Heartfire!” he exclaimed as Heartfire let go, moved up and over before landing himself. “Where’s the coffee?”

“Sounds like this whole damn country runs on coffee!” Brenda laughed as she opened the door to the Lounge. Malcolm was the first in, to be met by Jason McTerry, the ship’s cook, who had a mug of steaming black coffee with three sugars stirred in.

Malcolm took the mug, sniffed at it, then sipped. A happy smile crossed his face. “I needed this. Thank you!” he said, but Jason had already gone back into the kitchen, where lunch preps were going on, Chopper being his ‘helper for the day’.

Malcolm was placed in the farthest back available cabin (because they were loading the cabins back to front), and given a book on earth ponies to read before lunch. After lunch, he was invited to sit up in the Lounge and meet with the rest of the crew and passengers, being brought up to speed on the state of the world.


December 7, 2017 1400 hours Approaching Louisville, KY

Captain Crane was down in the Lounge with about half the crew, watching a movie on the big screen. Outside, a moderate snow was falling, reducing visibility to about a mile or so. As a precaution, he had two people on the bridge, maintaining a constant watch ahead, ship speed just a bit more than the current, watching for ice. It was below freezing, but the current keeps the main channel clear.

As the action on the screen reached a climax, Howard felt a ‘knocking’ in the back of his skull. “Capitan Crane, do you hear me? Is Jesus Valdez, from Louisville.”

Howard focused his thoughts. Thanks to his practice, he could send without moving his beak. “I hear you, Senor Valdez. Something wrong?”

“Si! Bart, he has returned. He has Linus, and he demands we surrender to him and put him back in charge. We have until tomorrow to decide.” Jesus sent, his worry apparent in his ‘voice’.

“We are about twenty miles upstream of Louisville. It will take the boat a couple of hours to get to you. However, I have two pegasi who could reach you in under an hour. Would you like that?” Howard asked.

Si! Send help! Charlie and Patty are worrying themselves sick! He’s holed up in Galt House with Linus. Get him and get rid of him!” Julio practically begged.

“I will so direct my crew. Keep in touch with me, and I can relay to my crew. Where are you now?”

“At the ballpark, in my suite. We are all in our suites. We will wait for you to contact me. Here, we are safe. Linus is not.” Julio sent.

“We’re on it. Let me get to work. Help is on the way!” Howard sent before breaking contact. He then stood up and paused the movie.

“I’ve just heard from Julio in Louisville. Bart has returned, and he’s taken Linus hostage. He’s in Galt House, waiting for the residents to capitulate.

“Brenda, Heartfire, I want you two to fly to Louisville. Take radios and whatever weapon you think you can use. Get Bart and stop him. He’s had his warning. This one is now personal.” he said to the crew, every inch the captain of the expedition.

“I know where to go. Heart, can you handle a police baton or tonfa?” Brenda asked.

“A baton will work just fine. No holds barred, Captain?” Heartfire asked.

“No holds barred. I want him removed to where he cannot cause any problems. He’s a griffon, and can fly,” Howard told the big pegasus.

“Let’s get geared up and get moving. How far out are we?” Brenda asked.

“I’ll send you the data once I find out. Get gear and go!” Howard said as he made for the stairs up to the Bridge.

“Right!” Brenda said as she led Heartfire to the armory, where she selected two stout batons, one larger than the other. She gave him the larger one. Getting two radios, she gave him one and led the way outside, into the falling snow. They quickly took off, heading downriver.

Brenda, I put us about nineteen miles from where we moored in Louisville. Best safe speed will take us about two, maybe three hours. Settle his hash!” Howard sent, clearly upset.

“Understood, Captain! Will do!” she sent back before getting close to Heartfire and telling him.

“I’m not worried about him. Messing with a child is a sure way to Hell!” Heartfire declared.

“I agree!” Together they flew, the clouds low and blowing snow. They made good time, despite the weather and flying into the wind, but they were both very strong fliers. It took half an hour for them to fly down the Ohio to Louisville Slugger field, two minutes more to get to the suites where the colony lived.

Brenda was about to knock on the door when she heard Bart’s voice over a radio. “I’m going to need some food for me and Linus, Julio! Make a package up and have it delivered to the lobby of Galt House in one hour! Make enough to last the night!” they heard the griffon demand.

Si, senor Bart. I will have Charlie and Patty make a package for Linus, and Julie will make a package of fried fish for you, delivered in an hour or less to the lobby of Galt House. Acceptable?”

Yeah, that will work. If this snow lets up by tomorrow, I’ll go hunt. I do know none of you like red meat. One hour, in the lobby!” Bart said firmly before ending the transmission. Audible in the background was Linus’ whining that he was hungry. What can one expect from a four-year-old?

“One hour, in lobby. Someone will be there. Valdez out.” the two heard. Ten seconds later, Brenda knocked. Julio quickly opened the door. “Brenda! You moved fast! Who’s your friend?” the thestral said, surprised.

“This is Heartfire. We found him outside of Pittsburgh. We heard what Bart said. Let’s get the packages made up and Heart and I will deliver them. OUR way!” Brenda said, outraged over what she had heard.

“Everyone else is waiting in the kitchens. Let’s go there. Food packs have to be made,” Julio said before leading the pegasi to the kitchens, where they found the six others of Louisville: the unicorns Igor and Rena, the earth ponies Charlie, Patty and little Sally, and Julie Lowry, the pegasus. After introductions, he relayed Bart’s instructions. Quickly, the ponies got to work, filling a saddlebag with mixed grains and grass for Linus, and a large pack of fried river fish for Bart.

The packing was done swiftly, and the pack was fitted to Brenda, Heartfire being a bit too big for it to fit him. “Captain Crane told us to settle his hash. A broken wing failed to teach him a lesson. We’re just going to have to come up with a more permanent solution,” Brenda told the group.

“You plan on killing him?” Charlie asked.

“If push comes to shove, we will. I hope to come up with a different solution. Just remember, inspiration comes when you least expect it,” Brenda told the big brown earth pony. “Julio, trade radios with me. I hope to call you with good news before the Voyager gets here.”

The switch was made, and the two pegasi headed out into the storm. “You know where to go?” Heartfire asked his partner.

“I stayed a night at Galt House several years ago. I know just where it is. We’re going to walk there, because we’re trying to make it look like the residents are delivering, and Julie will have trouble with the wind. You stay out of sight and listen while I deal with Bart,” Brenda told her friend.

“What if he gets aggressive?” Heartfire asked.

“Why, that’s when you swoop in and knock his brains into left field over the bleachers. You be my avenging angel,” Brenda said, walking alongside the larger pegasus, rubbing against him.

“I can do that,” he agreed, giving her a nuzzle.

It was a fifteen-minute walk to Galt House, mainly because the wind and blowing snow was in their faces. As they neared the hotel, Brenda told Heartfire to trail her, she would go first. It was fortuitous that Brenda and Julie were roughly similar in size and coloring, and they were hoping the gloom inside the lobby would help the disguise.

Wary, Brenda opened the door to the lobby. Going in, she shook the snow off of her and waited. She could see some paw prints and hoof tracks on the floor, leading to a stairway up. Shrugging the pack off, she went to the desk to wait, looking where she thought Bart would appear. She wasn’t disappointed.

About ten minutes went by before she heard someone descending the stairs, grumbling all the way. Bart made his way to the floor and looked around. Seeing Brenda, he shouted, “Bring me the pack, Lowry! The brat’s whining and he won’t shut up!”

Quickly, Brenda took the pack straps in her teeth and made her way to the stairs. As she neared, Bart recognized her. “Hey! You’re not Lowry! What are you doing here?” the griffon shouted.

Brenda let the pack drop. “Taking out the trash. Tag, you’re it!” she shouted, drawing her billy club.

Bart tried to run up the stairs, but missed the first step. Brenda swung, but missed. Bart then reached for Brenda, catching her mane in one of his claws and yanking. Brenda yelped, falling under the force of the pull.

Heartfire came charging in, racing across the lobby as Brenda struggled with Bart, keeping him distracted as the big pegasus took wing after a few steps, charging at the griffon. Bart got a glimpse as Heartfire neared. “Oh, fu…” Bart managed to say before Heartfire brought his right forehoof down on Bart’s head, knocking him senseless.

“Well, that part of the plan worked. What to do next?” Brenda asked as she got up from under Bart.

“I have an idea. Open the door for me while I take out the trash, please,” Heartfire said as he picked up Bart in his hooves. Brenda flew to the doors, opening them wide. Heartfire had to drop Bart, drag the unconscious griffon through the doors and pick him up again because his wingspan was wider than the doors. “Get Linus and bring him back to the ballpark. I’ll meet you there.”

“Will do!” Brenda said as Heartfire lifted off, flying up into the clouds.

It took a few minutes to find Linus and calm him down, having him talk to Patty over the radio before he would follow Brenda downstairs. After some food, the two headed for the stadium.

Fifteen minutes after the joyful reunion, Heartfire returned to the suites, looking grim. “What did you do with him, Senor Heartfire?” Julio asked.

“I put him on top of the clouds, at about eighteen thousand feet. He showed signs of coming around, so I clubbed him again. Winds are heading east-southeast at about twenty miles an hour. Up there, its solid clouds to the horizon. I don’t know if he knows how to get through clouds, but they are quite thick and disorienting to those who don’t know what to do,” he reported, both Brenda and Julie nodding agreement. “By the time he spots land and comes down, he should be at least a hundred miles away from here, hopefully more.”

“I’m relaying this to Captain Crane. He says that they should be here within an hour, tying up ahead of the Mary M. Miller. He’s inviting everyone to the ship for a hot dinner, and he wants to know where you put the cows we found last visit,” Brenda said, rubbing up against Heartfire.

“They’re here at the ballpark, in the bullpen Nikolai did not use. We’re managing to keep part of the outfield clear to grow hay and grain for the cows, using propane heaters to warm the area,” Charlie said. “Why, want some milk?”

Brenda relayed the data to Howard. After a few seconds, she spoke. “He says yes, if you want some ice cream!”

“Ice cream!” Sally squealed.

“I’ll go get some and make it ready for use,” Patty said, heading out and down, Rena following her. When milking a cow, a warm glow is better than a cold hoof, especially in this weather!


1800 hours, the Mississippi Voyager

The Voyager’s Lounge was crowded, with thirty ponies and others there, the full complement of the crew and passengers, plus the Louisville residents, but with strategic seating, all were comfortable. Jason, with Chopper and Chad’s help, turned out an excellent dinner, as usual, with ice cream for dessert, along with a vanilla cake and cookies. Only the kids wanted ice cream.

As the dinner wound down to coffee and cakes, with the occasional drink, Brenda and Heartfire stood up. “We want to announce our intention to stay here in Louisville. Bart MAY show up again, as well as something else just as nasty. Will you have us, Mister Valdez?” Heartfire announced to the crowd.

Julio did not hesitate. “We of Louisville would be honored to have you and Brenda remain here. We have plenty of suites available, it’s just a matter of getting them ready for habitation,” he said, to the applause of the rest of the Louisville crowd. The crew applauded too, but for a different reason.

Howard spoke next. “We can remain here for a couple of days to help, plus set up a couple of emergency caches, like we have been doing on our way back downstream. Brenda, Heartfire, it has been a joy having you aboard, and I wish you both a happy life here.”

Heartfire hugged Brenda with a wing. “We hope so, too. We work well together, and want to remain together. We’re needed here.”

“We accept you, Mister Heartfire,” Julio said, speaking for the colony. “You will help us scavenge for more supplies, si? Growing in the cold is hard for the earth ponies.”

“We sure will!” Brenda said firmly. “If this is to be our home, we’ll work with you to make sure this will be the best home we can make!”

Author's Note:

Looks like Bart is a slow learner. Let's see... a hundred or so miles ESE of Louisville leads to the heart of the Appalachians. It will be some time before he finds others to dominate, for sure!

Chapter 9 looks like the end of this tale, but seeds are being sown for the next. Want to pitch some ideas? Put them in the comments, and I'll see how much your vision matches my 'reality'! Enjoy, friends!