• Published 26th Aug 2023
  • 1,396 Views, 73 Comments

Equestrian Paradox: "Worlds at war" - An Sturmmann



Equestria had been at peace for a long time, however, one day, the moon refuses to come down by command, and, it seems that this is the first of many changes...

  • ...
1
 73
 1,396

Chapter 8: At the town hall

Author's Note:

I'm really sorry for the shorter chapter guys!

I'm planning of making the next one longer to make it up for this, however this week wasn't exactly nice to me...

Sorry in advance if something came out of character from Twilight, any criticism is welcome!

Twilight Sparkle stood, apparently alone save for the constant shouts of either anger or frustation and disbelief, she stood silent, with her hoof grasping the doorknob in a soft but firm manner.

Her brain was overworking, a thousand different ideas appearing and dissapearing in such a quick manner that her mind was clouded with a mix of disbelief and fear alike, oddly similar to the sensation of waiting after the test to know the results and avoid getting send to magical kindergarten... well, not exactly like that, some odd conspiration wasn't as dangerous as failing a test after all.

Soon, she made her move, opening the door in a soft, gentle manner, standing as tall as she could, puffing her chest just a bit as her wings folded to take a more "proper" appearance, she let out an small sigh closing her eyes for a bit, calming herself and organizing her ideas, slowly but surely making her way inside the room.

"Greetings, Princess Sparkle" Soon enough she was welcomed by a green coated mare who bowed down to her, she stood on her left side, Twilight felt a bit flattered, but soon enought gave a little smile to the mare "Hi there, there's no need to bow down"

"Princess" The elderly voice came too, and Twilight looked to the front, there was a huge desk made of wood, and some bookcases, a tingle of excitement made its way to Twilight's spine upon seeing a certain book she didn't had the chance to read before being given her mission, however, that excitement had to be set apart, as the elderly looking brown mare stood from her seat and walked towards her after going around her desk "Welcome to New Horseleans princess Twilight Sparkle, may I help you with something beforehoof?"

"Well, I would like a cup of water, thanks for the offer" Twilight smiled as she shook the Mare's hoof, her eyes were betraying her apparent calmness, so did the weak hoofshake, the mare leg was quite muscular and yet, there wasn't any single trace of that strenght, it was by far the shakiest hoofshake Twilight ever had, it also lasted for way too long "Hmm, Mayor?"

"Y...YES?!" The elder was quick to answer breaking the shake after a whole minute, smiling a bit too wide in an awkward way, her eyes extremely focused on Twilight ones, as if she was trying to see how would she react "Are you allright?"

Her inner desire of knowledge was itching to hear what happened, from the small bits she could listen before entering the room, there do was a pirate problem or something that resembled it, however she couldn't make any conclusion with the extremely small information she could hear.

"Well, of course i'm fine!, Why shouldn't I be allright? I mean, not everyday my humble town gets a visit from Twilight Sparkle, the very own Protégé of Princess Celestia!" The mayor said and Twilight rolled her eyes before giving a little fake cough "There's no need to lie mayor, I'm not here to judge or something, if you or anypony needs help, you can trust me with that!"

Twilight beamed a friendly aura, raising her hoof to put emphasis in that last sentence, smiling towards the mayor and giving a little nod, this was exactly the kind of situations she loved to be in after all, there's barely anything better than helping somepony when it is in need, she was bearer of the element of magic after all, an example of Equestrian harmony, a messenger of hope and good deeds, a beacon of light and friendship, a Paragon of virtue, a...

"Theresnothingweneedhelpwithontheotherhoofhowcanwehelpyouinstead?!" Her answer was quick and extremely suspicious, even a filly could easily see that this old mare really was desperate and scared about something, so Twilight had no other option but to drop the metaphorical strike "I heard you two speak about the pirates, and... well.. even if I didn't you are being quite suspicious..."

"Oh..." She stood, silent, no answer coming from her lips after that little sound, then she quickly looked back and forth, towards her desk, and towards Twilight, before letting out an small sigh, meekly looking at her eyes with a mix of emotions "Well... Princess..."

"Please, just call me Twilight, tell me, what is happening?" She asked looking at the elder, she seemed at a loss of words but soon enough sighed and walking towards the princess "We... are having some troubles, the upcoming elections are nearing at an extremely fast pace, and after my policies failed to raise a proper guardsmare force that could protect the town from Tirek... well... the oposition gained strenght, to that, there is also the fact that the ships aren't coming back... and the only that did come... well it wasn't... exactly what we expected..."

"Oh..." Twilight watched the mayor turn and walk toward her seat, not even bothering to sit down calmly, just throwing herself into the chair and letting out a dissatisfied grunt " And, that's pretty much the summary, after some nice years of being the mayor, solving most issues, and actually giving everpony a proper healthcare service... Tirek came, destroyed most of my work, and now most of the ships are simply refusing to come back and the only one who arrives has a lone dunkard telling everypony about pirates that are coming here or something, it is outright stupid to even believe that, I mean, pirates?, really?"

"Hmmm, well, I heard you saying something about fortifying the port?" Twilight questioned and the mayor nodded "Good, then we should be able to place guards at the port, so we could theoretically protect the town from any kind of danger, we could use the marked as a supply hub to get as much resources to make the port an stronghold, I may not be a militar mare, but I've spent enought time with my B.B.B.F.F to understand some of the basics of protecting an town."

"The issue Princess, is that apparently the pirates have better 'toys'... hmmm, now that I think about it, bring the sailor here, please"

The mayor said towards her aide who quickly nodded, silently, before quickly turning tail and leaving the room, leaving both mares alone.

"Now..." Twilight looked at the Mayor straight in the eyes with an smile, a rather sharp but friendly smile.

"How's the town logistics?"