• Published 26th Aug 2023
  • 1,395 Views, 73 Comments

Equestrian Paradox: "Worlds at war" - An Sturmmann



Equestria had been at peace for a long time, however, one day, the moon refuses to come down by command, and, it seems that this is the first of many changes...

  • ...
1
 73
 1,395

Chapter 2: But the Moon refused to obey

Author's Note:

Well, here comes a new chapter!

Sadly, i'm not the best when writing about this exact situation, but i think I pulled it off, besides that, thank you all for reading, and, I promise the next chapter will be longer, just give me time to grow accostumed to english.

Sorry in advance for any mistakes!

Ponies, at their barest level, are no different from their equine forefathers, a family, a town, even the mighty Vanhoover, they are still groups of ponies, huge, yes indeed.

But, what's the difference bewteen a massive herd of ancient equines that just saw the nearing pack of wolves, and a modern day city that just saw their beloved sun refuse to come out in command?

The only difference, is that the incoming stampede can at least be avoided with a little lie... thus, saving hundreds, if not thousands from being stomped to death as the masses run in sheer desperation, their baser instincts almost overwritting their sapient brains in a full return to primal states.

Either, this is part of our evolution, as one last safe measure, since no sane predator would even dare to attack a herd so huge and would rather be happy with whatever spoils remain.

However, I do believe that the only things wich could make a full city revert back to that primal state of fear and the need to run away, may as well be walking disasters themselves... Nightmare Moon, was proof of that, and I hope, that this book will never be opened, since, if it is ever open, it means that something is so utterly wrong that failure into "calming down" the population would mean that society itself was experiencing such a change, that it may as well collapse overnight.

Prologue of "Equestria at her lowest" by former Lieutenant General Fear of Night
Censored by the Canterlot Bureau
Reason: The Psychological weaknesses there may as well be a invader handbook to get Equestria to submit


The moon shone, bright and beautiful, her sweet white rays gently projecting over the city, Canterlot may be a golden city during the day, but when the night falls, it becomes something equally beautiful, but in a different way.

The gorgeous white buildings gave the moon a perfect stage to be the center of attention, as one curious mare was walking in one of the many hallways in the big palace wich was the center of Canterlot itself.

The mare had a light violet coat, with a pair of wings resting on her back, with equally colored feathers, those feathers albeit looking simple, held a rather big complexity when the moonlight touched them, since, by a mix of the homogeneous first glance, and the darkness wich engulfed the castle insides, it was quite hard to see the actual layout of those feathers.

Besides that, the mare had a long mane, with pink and purple stripes, just like her tail, the look on her eyes was one of clear attention, as she was walking, pretty much all alone in the middle of the palace, as if she knew exactly how to move inside of it, her attention focused in the floating book in front of her, as she seemed... conflicted.

Something in that book had her focused, yes, but, at the same time it held her worried, her mouth softly whispering the words she read, as if she was trying to convince herself that those, were in fact the words she was reading.

However, her travel, would be cut short, the second a golden door, in a nearby hall, opened up.

Her focus switched, from the book, to the doorframe, as it opened up in an almost tantalizing way, her body languague showing up clear hope and happiness, but also doubt.

As she awaited, a nearby shadow began to move, with soft hoof sounds, telling the mare that someone else was near, looking behind, she saw the responsible.

A clearly bigger mare, one wich held a look of anger, fury, and despair, with eyes reddened, and wings retracted, a trio of moon drawings in her body, one on her chest, the other two on each flank, her blue long mane seeming a bit darkened, but not as dark as her coat.

"Princess Twilight Sparkle, a pleasure to see that you came with upmost haste" She spoke, a hint of hostility in her voice, however, there was also quite the cocktail of emotions in there, it wasn't a voice of someone angry at Twilight, but at something else "Princess Luna!, Are you allright?!"

"I am as fine as I could be, in fact, in quite the mood to go out and deliver some proper fear of the night on whoever was the one who caused THIS to happen" Luna spoke back, as she pointed towards a window with her right hoof, straight towards a beautiful full moon "Did something happen to your night?!"

Twilight answered up, if Luna was full of rage, Twilight seemed full of fear, however, a huge white wing gently patted her back, as the sounds of the door finally opening reached her ears.

"Lulu, please, calm down for a moment, I know that this isn't exactly the best thing to say, but, being angry won't help us at all" A mature and kind voice spoke back, making Twilight turn around and get quite the big smile with happiness "Princess Celestia!"

"Hello Twilight, I'm happy to see you too" Celestia spoke as Twilight gave her a little hug with her wings, however, after a few seconds Luna spoke again, or better said shout again. "I SHALL NOT 'CALM DOWN', THOUST PERHAPS HATH FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE LAST TIME SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENED?!"

"I haven't, however, we had this exact conversation back then, last time you wished to go into a full blown military assault, against Discord himself, and I will not allow you to send a thousand good mares to become mere shadows of themselves until the elements of harmony are used over whatever has caused this!" Celestia for the first time shouted back, making Luna take an step back "And, if you care about our subjects, I think using the Canterlot voice may as well be a horrid idea, unless you want everypony to learn about this!"

"Princess... I..." Twilight spoke but Celestia held her hoof up, gently but firm "Now... breath up a little Luna, and then we can tell Twilight about this... and hope that Candance gets the letter too"

"I... just... just imagine for a moment that this was about the Sun... Would you be calm Celestia?" Luna answered and her sister nodded "Not 'calm' but at least try to hold my hooves to the ground instead of preparing to fly to war as if this was a milennia ago, remember that now we have far more subjects to care for, and besides, we have two new alicorns to help us"

"..." The princess looked down, as her right hoof stomped, lifting it again to point at the moon "Twilight Sparkle, lower the moon, please"

"I... me?!" Twilight answered suprised as she took a few steps back, breaking free from Celestia wing range "But... princess Luna, last time I barely managed to lift the sun after lowering the moon!, I... I even distracted Shining armor from what I was told!"

"It matters not, I am here to help if that happens" Luna spoke as she took an step towards Twilight, gently touching her shoulder with her hoof "But please... recover my moon"

Twilight swallowed as she felt quite surprised and by her body language, quite awkward, however, that didn't stop her from walking towards the window frame, her horn brightening up with light, as she reared, her front hooves standing in the frame after the window opened, the bright light stopped in that instant.

With a deep breath, Twilight's horn started lighten up again, but this time, there wasn't anything in sight getting covered by that energy, however, her eyes were glued to the beautiful white moon, wich seemed smaller and far more distant.

A shudder went through the mare spine, just as her face became filled with an mixture of emotions, her body trembling, shaking, as her horn light got brighter and brighter, sparks flowing around or being send in all directions with her horn as an epicenter, and yet, her eyes seemed full of doubt, unlike her body wich was tense, specially her legs, as if the endeavour was simply too much for her.

"Twilight, keep at it!" Luna said, her voice with the smallest hint of hope, as her horn lit up too, her energy soon joining in Twilight apparently meaningless effort, but with an even greater emotion, as Luna slammed shut her jaws teeth crushing against teeth, with such an strenght and rage that perhaps sparks could also originate from there " GO ALL OUT, I WILL DO MY BEST TOO!"

"Luna!" Celestia shouted as she looked at her sister, her magic being poured with such strenght that her beautiful mane stopped waving the way it usually did, not only that did happen, but also, after she spoke, she bit her own lip, with enought strenght to cause an smal injury "I'm sorry auntie!"

Another voice sounded, just as an small energy beam hit Luna in the back of her head, making her eyes first go wide, then get closed as she couldn't even finish up the words she whispered, falling to her knees and then collapsing over the floor.

"Twilight!" Celestia quickly stopped the smaller mare from pouring more magic, and she quickly gasped as her legs failed to hold her, collapsing too over the floor, but unlike Luna, her eyes were kept open, and in quite the show of resilence, she rose up, slowly but surely "I... I am so... sorry... I... failed to lower the moon..."

"Don't be sorry Twilight, the moon has refused to obey any command, not even Luna could lower her, not even I could do something, neither both of us together... that's why I called you two... sadly Luna couldn't wait any longer" Celestia spoke as she gently helped Twilight to stand again, giving her some support "Thanks Cadence, I should have used a sleep spell before..."

"There's nothing to apologize auntie, were it not for my years of experience in emotional and mind related magic I wouldn't have been able to cast an strong enought spell, sadly it would have required you a lot more of the effort you can currently muster, you must be exhausted after spending the whole night trying to lower the moon with Aunt luna"

"THE WHOLE NIGHT!" Twilight shouted in clear fear and surprise, but calmed down a bit after Cadence embranced her "Aunt Celestia Knew you would be afraid of this... so she wished to speak to you personally, that's why your letter only asked you to deliver that forbbidden book, It was my suggestion to her..."

"However, My timing wasn't as Good as I expected "Cadence apologized after breaking up the embrance, her magic lifting up the sleeping Luna "Aunt, I have quite the dire news from the north, Luna's night is not the only strange thing tonight, but also, there's have been many disasters in the borders, Shining is working hard to calm down everypony... but with this, I fear that only you could calm down the whole of Equestria."

Celestia sighted as she stood, her left leg trembling just a little bit, while as she couldn't avoid licking her lips with a nervous stare, looking towards the moon, she swallowed some saliva before noticing something.

"is... the moon just a little bit down?" Celestia said, catching the attention of both smaller alicorns "It... seems so, it does looks a bit like how the moon lowers herself over the everfree"

"Perhaps that's why nopony could lower it tonight" Cadance said before shaking her head grunting a little "But, I believe that there are more importants things for now, there are Earthquakes all around the northern border of the Crystal empire, thankfully no casualties yet, but I think we should work on something before it starts spreading or something"

"Earthquakes?" Celestia seemed shocked before turning and stomping towards the open doors "Come now, both of you, there's no time to lose if ponies are being hurt or worse..."

Killed