• Published 1st Oct 2012
  • 771 Views, 29 Comments

Broken Apart, Fixed Together - Mapbird



Curiousity killed the cat, didn't it? Three little fillies were spared, but it was at a large price

  • ...
 29
 771

Side-Effects May Include

So it was, that a pony by the name of Fluttershy trudged into Ponyville in the dark cover of night. She was tired and felt weak, but she was determined to get the three unconscious fillies on her back to safety. Three houses, three worried ponies, three thank you's and three you're welcome's. All leaving behind one very tired Fluttershy, who slipped into her bed and slept like a rock.


Sweetie Belle awoke, nice and warm in her bed. Her memories of last night were fragmented, and she couldn't help but wonder if everything she'd experienced had been a dream. She got out of bed and headed downstairs. She could feel that something was stuck in the back of her mane and she reached a hoof over to pull it out. She didn't manage to grab it but the object seemed to have fallen out of her mane, so she was satisfied. She was about to see what it was when she was interrupted.

"Sweetie Belle? Is that you?" A familiar voice said. Sweetie Belle trotted into the kitchen and said "Yes." Or at least she tried. When she tried to speak, nothing came out. She tried again "Yes! It's me!" No sound. She went over to the table and sat on one of the chairs, feeling a little sad.

"What do you want for breakfast?" Rarity asked. Sweetie Belle just sat there. "What do you want for breakfast?" Rarity repeated, slightly louder than last time. on receiving no reply Rarity turned around and said "Is something wrong? Just tell me if there is." The words 'just tell me' hit Sweetie Belle like bullets.

Why did she have to say that? Sweetie Belle thought. Sweetie Belle got off the chair and headed towards the front door of her sister's boutique.

"Sweetie Belle, where are you going? You haven't even had breakfast yet!" Rarity said but Sweetie Belle ignored her and kept going. She spied a note on the floor and picked it up.

"Sweetie Belle, answer me! I need to talk to you about last night!" Rarity shouted. Sweetie Belle quickly put the note in her mane, getting the idea from that thing that was in there when she got up and headed out the door. When she got outside she bolted towards their clubhouse, tears in her eyes; Just tell me, answer me! playing on a loop in her head.

When she got to the clubhouse, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were already inside. Apple Bloom seemed to be guiding Scootaloo around the clubhouse.

"Huh? Who's there?" Scootaloo asked. It was strange, Scootaloo should know it was her. Nobody answered. "Sweetie Belle? If it's you, say something." Sweetie Belle fought back a few tears. Apple Bloom turned around to see what Scootaloo was talking about and saw Sweetie Belle. She walked over to her, guiding Scootaloo with her hoof towards Sweetie Belle as well.

"Hi, Sweetie Belle!" Apple Bloom shouted very loudly. Sweetie Belle covered her ears with her hooves. "Sorry, am I being too loud?" Apple Bloom said, much quieter than last time.

"Oh, so it is you Sweetie Belle! Why didn't you say anything?" Scootaloo said. Sweetie Belle had a feeling this was going to be a depressing day for her. "You're probably wondering what's going on, right?" Sweetie Belle nodded. "Well, I've gone blind somehow, and Apple Bloom seems to be deaf." After Scootaloo said that, Sweetie Belle's memories of last night began piecing themselves together.

Something about curiosity? Something black? She thought. She tried to remember more about last night, but she couldn't. "I don't know how or why it happened, but i think it has something to do with last night because my mum gave me a whole lecture on not staying out after dark and I didn't understand what she was talking about."

"I think maybe-" Scootaloo began, but was interrupted

"Hello? Is anypony in here?" A familiar voice asked. It was Fluttershy's voice. Fluttershy stepped into the clubhouse and walked towards the three fillies. "I need to ask you girls some questions. Can I?" She asked

"Yes, you can." Scootaloo answered. Sweetie Belle nodded and Apple Bloom copied her, not really knowing what to do.

"Why were you girls in the Everfree Forest last night?" She asked.

Suddenly, Apple Bloom piped up "Fluttershy, where are your wings?"

"What are you-" Fluttershy turned her head to look, and saw that her wings were gone. "WHERE ARE MY WINGS? WHERE ARE THEY?" She screamed before sitting down on the floor of the clubhouse and taking deep breaths. "Okay Fluttershy, calm down. Your wings couldn't have just vanished could they? Ha ha, of course not!" Fluttershy said. All the while, the fog surrounding Sweetie Belle's thoughts was growing thinner and she began to remember more about last night. A box? A monster? Wait, wasn't the monster's name Curiosity? Maybe it was Qreocity? I can't remember. She thought. She began to move over to a corner of the clubhouse when the note slipped out of her mane. She saw it and picked it up. She hadn't gotten a chance to read it yet, especially not after that scene this morning. The note said:

Solve this riddle (If you can):
A question mark for a non-public eye,
The way the bat turns,
South When it's North,
Written in,
A can top.

-Curiosity

Sweetie Belle didn't understand it at all. She read it again, trying to make sense of it, but she couldn't think of an answer. Who was this Curiosity? She decide to show the others, so she turned around and stopped. Right there on the floor of the clubhouse was a black box, the black box Curiosity came from and stole their senses. She realized she would have to tell the others, but how? The answer was obvious, write it! She picked up a pencil she that was lying on the floor, flipped the note over, and began to write a message. When she was done, she looked over the note one more time, just to make sure she had gotten it right. The note read:

Dear Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Fluttershy,
Please read this note aloud because Scootaloo can't see.

Do you remember last night? I do. Remember Curiosity and the box? Do you remember how he was going to take our senses away? Do you remember how he wanted you to be his pet Apple Bloom? Remember how his spee spell got messed up by Fluttershy? It still must've worked even thog though it got messed up, we must've just gotten the wrong sense taken from us. I can't speek speak because of Curiosity, so I'm writing you this note.

From,
Sweetie Belle
P.S Please turn the paper over when you are done.

She didn't understand why she had written it like it was a letter, but she didn't really want to change it. She handed the note to Fluttershy and waited until the note had been read. She trotted over just in time for Fluttershy to turn over the note.

"It's a riddle!" Fluttershy said.

"What does it say?" Scootaloo asked. Fluttershy read the riddle out to her. "I don't understand! The way the bat turns? Curiosity probably just made this up on the spot!" They thought and thought trying to figure it out until the sun set, but they couldn't think of anything.

"Oh my! It's already dark and I haven't looked after my animals at all today!" Fluttershy exclaimed. "You girls better get back to your houses."

But, I don't want to go back. Sweetie Belle thought. She quickly grabbed the note and wrote something in a space she found and handed it to Apple Bloom.

"Fluttershy, Sweetie Belle says it would be better if we stuck together for now, so we should sleep here tonight. Could you let our parents know?"

Fluttershy thought for a moment before replying with a smile "I guess I could do that."

"Thanks." Sweetie Belle wrote on the note and handed it to her with a smile.

I'm glad someone can help. Sweetie Belle thought.