• Published 12th Jul 2023
  • 608 Views, 115 Comments

A Pegasus Horn - Ignimbrite



Hello. My name's Obsidian, and before you ask, no. I'm not an alicorn.

  • ...
0
 115
 608

A Very Good Idea Indeed

A fog had rolled in last night and was scheduled to remain for a few days.

All three of the Reporters of Vengeance woke up shivering. They hurriedly packed up their saddlebags and headed out towards the news buildings.

In light of yesterday's poor results, they needed a new strategy. Maybe they could use their disguises to sneak inside one of the news buildings.

Five minutes later, all three skidded across the street on their rumps. Obsidian looked back behind them.

"Well, that went well."

Feldspar stuck out her tongue at the newspaper manager and blew a raspberry.


Mr. Watermark stepped out of Quartz's office just as Quartz was walking up.

"I heard about last night."

Mr. Stone looked up at his boss, who simply continued.

"I'm guessing you came here to inform me that you'll have to take time off to find them."

Quartz simply nodded. Before he could speak, his boss gestured towards the door.

"If it were my son, I'd be doing the same. I'll handle things here. You go find your foals."

"Thank you."

As Quartz was leaving the office, he spied a news vendor selling just about every paper there was. Perhaps they had picked up some stories on missing foals.

He picked up the latest one and flipped through it. As he was setting it down, he glanced at the one beside it and almost collapsed.

Discord's Foals Abandoned in Canterlot

He took the paper and ran home, almost forgetting to pay for it.


"I think they're starting to get suspicious."

As Obsidian shook the dirt out of his tail for what had to be the fifteenth time that day, the others agreed with his observation.

Thankfully, Kind Face had thought to bring extra fur dye and props to use. Within minutes, they had an entirely different look from the ones with which they'd arrived.

"There," Kind Face said as she applied the finishing touches. "They'll never recognize us now."

Feldspar had borrowed her brother's modified saddlebags and a strap-on horn, making a fairly decent unicorn filly.

Kind Face, meanwhile, had painted herself green and added a harp cutie mark to her flank. She plopped down on a bench and spread her forelegs across the backrest. "Check it out. I'm just your average background pony."

While Feldspar giggled, Obsidian dyed his fur and hid his horn rather awkwardly under a large hat so that he could pose as an orange pegasus colt. Just for the fun of it, he also repainted his cutie mark to be a huge "X" superimposed over Celestia's and Luna's marks.

Secret prince, my flank.

Kind Face jumped up off the bench.

"Come on. Now that we've all got new looks, let's go field test 'em."

Less than five minutes later, they were skidding across the street in their rumps.

"We definitely need to figure out a new plan."

Obsidian and Feldspar simply nodded. They all got up, dusted themselves off, and headed down the street again. As they turned the corner, Obsidian stopped in shock.

"What's he doing here?!?"

The other two stopped to look. The "he" in question was a unicorn with a skull cutie mark.

Kind Face turned back to Obsidian. "You know him?"

"Yeah, that's Wrath Bone. He's the one I told you about from my old school."

They all turned back to look at the unicorn, who was unloading boxes into a building. Feldspar, unfortunately, decided to take matters into her own hooves.

"Feldspar! What are you doing..."

"Hi there! You look new in town. What are you doing here?"

"My pa's opening up a satellite store to compete with Hard Ware's General Appliances. What's it to ya?"

"Oh, nothing. I just wanted to say hi!"

"Well scram. I'm busy."

Feldspar did exactly that. "Did you hear that?"

The others nodded.

"Let's get out of here," Obsidian cautioned. "I mean, I'm glad your disguise worked, but I still don't want to stick around too long."

As they were about to leave, Wrath Bone bumped into them while carrying a box.

"Hey, watch it!"

"You bumped into us."

Wrath Bone paused, then set down his box and turned to them.

"You sound familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?"

Instinctively, Obsidian backed up. "No. We... we never met before."

As he was saying this, he backed up into a stepladder. Predictably, the ladder was topped with a bucket of soapy water that had been used for washing the windows. Even more predictably, the bucket landed on Obsidian's head, dislodging his hat and washing off most of the fur dye.

Wrath Bone's eyes widened for a moment, then narrowed as a smile formed.

"Prince? What in Tartarus are you doin' here?"

He levitated a few rocks behind him.

"You still owe me for that detention."

They all ran.


The train couldn't get to Canterlot fast enough. Quartz Stone, Gneiss Crystal, and Kind Face's aunt Masquerade all watched the scenery blur by, but none of them saw any of it. All they saw was the faces of their foals.

Quartz had, naturally, immediately told Gneiss of his discovery. On the way to the station, Gneiss stopped to tell Masquerade, who she had met last night during the search, while Quartz had stopped to tell the police. Immediately after that, all of them had gotten tickets for the next available train.


The three hid behind a cardboard cutout display at a comic shop just as Wrath Bone came around the corner, looked around, then continued on.

Obsidian cautiously slinked out from behind the Iron Stallion cutout while his sister peeked out from behind Mare-do-Well.

"I think he's gone."

They both stepped out and looked around.

"Hey. Where's...?"

Before he could finish, a statue of Nightmare Crusader blinked. He and Feldspar yelped in surprise.

"How'd you do that?"

"Like I said," Kind Face pulled off her prop wings, "I'm good."

They all walked outside...

... and straight into Wrath Bone.

"You really thought I fell for that trick, didn't ya?"

Feldspar stepped up and tried her best to scowl.

"Why don't you just leave us alone?"

"Scram kid." Wrath Bone picked her up in his magic and tossed her aside into some trash cans. "This ain't your fight."

Obsidian watched as Feldspar crash landed, unable to use her wings to at least reduce the impact.

He didn't really know what he was thinking other then one thing.

Wrath Bone had just hurt his sister.

Just as Wrath Bone was turning back to speak again, Obsidian frog-striked the base of his horn.

"WHA...EEEEeeee...?...?..."

Wrath Bone's eyes crossed, and he slumped to the ground.

Something clicked.

Obsidian and Kind Face ran over to the trash cans and pulled Feldspar out.

"Are you okay?"

As she nodded, something clicked again.

Kind Face looked around. "What was that?"

Obsidian looked over to Wrath Bone, who was still piled up in the middle of the street.

"I thought dad was exaggerating about that time he got hit in the horn."

"Not that," she said as she looked around, "the noise. What was the noise?"

Something clicked again. All three turned around to see a yellow unicorn with a telephoto camera.

"RUN!!!"

All of them then bolted down the alley. When they were finally in the clear, Kind Face snorted.

"Great. Now we're gonna need new disguises again."


Alien Foal and Two Changelings Attack Canterlot Youth

Author's Note:

Rainbow Dash was understandably irked that Mare-do-well was now a comic book hero, and the rest of the girls were fairly annoyed as well.

Unfortunately, by the time they found out, the name and image had already been copyrighted by the comic's publisher, so there wasn't much they could do.