• Published 5th Jul 2023
  • 1,884 Views, 224 Comments

Beyond the Veil of Sleep - Starscribe



After the fall of Nightmare Moon, Equestria became a dangerous place for batsponies. One is determined to do something about it: using Dreamwalking magic, she would free Nightmare Moon from her banishment and save the bats of Equestria.

  • ...
7
 224
 1,884

Chapter 8

Mira wandered through the sleeping world. Apparently she was in the land of Hope itself, though she didn't know what that would mean, or how it could possibly manifest.

But even she, a bat who usually shunned the full sunlight and wasn't welcome in the company of ponies who walked by day—even she had to admit there was something special about the land here.

Maybe it was the unusual light, which filled her with warmth without burning her eyes or making her sweat. Maybe it was the vista of rolling hills and grassy fields, that extended beside the path as far as she could see. Maybe it was the gentle birdsong in the air, and the brightly-colored little creatures as they zipped from tree to tree, serenading the perpetual sunrise.

It was the kind of place that could make a pony wish she'd been born into another era. If only this was the time before the Lunar Rebellion, when she could live alongside the unicorns and pegasi and earth ponies without fear for her life.

She could almost hear her younger voice, speaking to Kallisto in the quiet confines of the monastery. "Why did we go to war?" she had wanted to know. "Everypony says we lost a war with Equestria. But why did we fight in the first place?"

"Because the others were afraid of us," Kallisto had answered. Her voice was stronger then, and she didn't shake with every word. She could even stand and walk on her own, holding ancient scrolls for Mira to explore. She hadn't been able to read back then, but she liked to pretend.

"They were always nervous having us around. But the more years went by, the less ponies wanted anything to do with us. They were afraid that eventually there would be nothing but bats in the whole world. We were strangers, outsiders. Ponies have always feared what they don't understand."

It felt so proud from her back then. But now, after running for her life in a city of the ancient immortals, Mira found the words sounded trite and hollow. It was easy to use overbroad explanations on a filly who didn't know any better. But what about the truth?

Mira came to an abrupt halt as the path curved suddenly downward. It was steep, steep enough that she would probably start to slide if she went much further. Impossibly steep for the world she knew. Yet here, maybe the landscape could curve at something greater than a 45 degree angle, tilting towards the ocean.

But it wasn't the bleak, storm-wracked waters she had flown over on her way here. Even from a great distance, these waters were cerulean blue, with sand visible underneath. She could practically feel the comfortable warmth of it from here.

Apparently the builders of this city had also, because they'd settled the coast in both directions as far as Mira could see.

It was nothing near as strange-looking as Erebus, or as densely populated. This city was a snake, stretching along the coast so almost everypony would get some space beside the water. Yet the coast curved inward in a sheltered cove about a mile wide, meaning the city bowed out in her direction. The road she was on led directly to that city. Just up ahead, she could see a few scattered homes—farms, maybe, with fields overflowing with grain.

Earth ponies worked in those fields. None had noticed her yet. She considered what to do next, but only for a few seconds. If she stood in place, consumed with doubt, that would only let them catch her out. I belong here. I'm a bat, the Dreamlands are my domain.

She started walking, with a confidence she'd never had in the world above. Even earth ponies could be dangerous, if she didn't have enough space to take off and fly away. And if she was trapped in an area, they would remember her, and come back to punish her if they perceived some slight.

"Get ready," she whispered towards her lighter saddlebag, voice quiet. "I might need to get away in a hurry."

To her relief, she felt a shifting from inside the saddlebags. After a few seconds, the little cat crawled out from beneath the flap, hopping up onto her back a second later.

She shook herself out, stretching her back to full length in the sun. "I suppose a catnap will have to do," she muttered, not sounding terribly happy about it. "Couldn't you wait a few minutes more?"

Thank goodness for the sturdy leather saddlebags, so she didn't have those claws sticking into her back. Mira didn't watch her, but she could still feel the cat moving along her back, until she was just beside one of her wings.

"See them up ahead?" she whispered, voice as low as she could. But she was talking to a cat here—if any creature would hear her, this one would. "Those are earth ponies."

"Fascinating," the kitten said, exasperated. "You wanted me to see your cousins?"

Her "cousins" could see her. One had even walked to the edge of his field as she drew near, resting a heavy metal scythe on his shoulders. Those fields weren't tilted as violently as the road—they were built into tiers, like huge steps leading down towards the coast.

Stay out of his reach. "No. I wanted you to know they might try to chase me. Be ready."

She didn't slow down, didn't turn away. Mira marched right down the path, both wings opening slightly to keep her balance on the strange road. If she started sliding, she could always catch herself in the air.

"Welcome visit, dreamer!" called the farmer, waving one hoof in her direction. "I hope you've found yourself on a pleasant journey!"

Mira stared up at him, mouth falling open. At best she expected a curse, some quiet muttering about how she would be coming to town to steal or give people nightmares.

But that grin looked genuine. "If you fancy an ear of corn for the trip, pick anything in my field," he continued. "Peaceful slumber go with you."

"Th-thank you..." Mira muttered. She walked around him, right up to the cart he'd piled high just beside the road. She scooped a fat ear of yellow corn right off the cart, watching him. He only nodded with approval, waved, and returned to his field.

Mira pressed the fresh grain up against her mouth, breathing in the earthy scent of the husk. She wasn't particularly hungry, yet how long had it been since she got fresh corn! Empty cobs cast into the midden heap were one thing, but this?

She was tempted to start devouring it right there, but resisted. There were so many eyes on her, so many other earth ponies and even a smattering of other farming creatures. They were all generally pony-shaped, though a few were off in ways that she couldn't quite explain.

"Have an apple!" one shouted. "Offering to the dreamer!" Another offered a place for her at their dinner table that night, or suggested that she should come back in a few days for the harvest.

After her first gift, Mira denied all the others, tucking away the ear of fresh corn into her bag. She smiled as she did it, trying to imitate a little of their enthusiasm. Just because she didn't trust any of these creatures didn't mean she had to be a jerk about it.

Finally they left the farms behind, and neared the open gates to the city. Once alone, she was able to whisper to the cat: "I don't understand how this is possible," she said. "I've met nice ponies before. There was this old unicorn back in my town, who used to sneak me bits of food when he could. Warned me when the guard were coming... but they were rare. Not a whole city!"

Her passenger gave her an exaggerated yawn in response. "Where do you think this is, long-legs? You're in Hope, not Fear or Suspicion or Disbelief. Why do you think I wanted to come here? Now find someone with milk and get me some. You can turn down your offerings, but I deserve mine."

Mira didn't reply, slowing as she approached the open gates. There were ponies moving about inside, or more of the creatures that looked a great deal like ponies. She approached one of the nearer creatures cautiously, inspecting them.

Up close, she could start to see some of their differences. Their wings were thin and flat, though wider than any pegasus or even a bat's might be, with intricate patterns like a pair of watching eyes. Their body was covered in thin fluff, thicker at their collar and at their mane.

Then she smelled them, and the thoughts connected. A bug! They smelled like the juiciest, most delicious moth she could possibly get her fangs around.

Maybe that was why the pony looked a little fearful as she approached, wings opening and closing once. They took a few steps back, until they smacked into a signpost.

They had a pair of long antennae, covered in fluff—but it was their eyes that unnerved her. Utterly black, with only a slight shine to reflect the sunlight. "B-beautiful day!" they squeaked. "Here to enjoy the scenery of Greenleaf?"

He, she? Mira couldn't quite tell. Lower than her voice, but higher than most stallions. A child, maybe? "This is Greenleaf, is it?" Mira asked, ignoring their discomfort and marching directly over to them. "Do you live here?"

"Currently..." The voice had as subtle buzzing to it, and did a poor job hiding their emotions. "Please, dreamer, I've done nothing wrong. Do not be angry with me." They pawed at the ground, and their hoof was utterly silent as it dragged through the dirt. Like a soft cloth, instead of a sturdy hoof.

"Angry?" She tilted her head to the side, ears flattening. "I'm not angry with you, I'm just lost." She stepped out of the flow of traffic, though she had to do very little to avoid it.

Most of the population here resembled this pony, in various shades of brown and tan. Most wore nothing, and their voices formed a low hum that echoed through the streets of the strange city.

Beautiful streets, though. Bright tile on the floor under her hooves formed looping, mathematical repetition. She saw the curves of shells, starfish, and other sea life represented in brown and white, and somehow kept clear of dirt.

"Well, let me tell you where to go!" the strange pony continued, puffing out their chest a little and opening both wings wide. They took a few steps forward, then pointed down the road. "Where do you want to go, dreamer? If I know, I will tell you the way."

And get away from me as quickly as you can, Mira thought, grinning. Maybe there was something predatory in her scent, the same way Mira found the pony's smell somehow delicious.

"That's hard to explain," she said. "But in case you know..." She looked around, then pointed straight up.

Even in the light of full day, the moon remained visible up above. It was apparently waning now, a shrinking crescent. But Mira kept constant stock of its position in the sky the same way other ponies might watch for signs of a brewing storm. The moon was everything.

"I'm trying to go there. What's the quickest way to the moon?"

Silence descended on her. Any creature near enough to hear her fell totally still, including many passing moths. A few snickered quietly, though they covered it badly. Some didn't even bother, and giggled to each other.

But the moth in front of her only opened their eyes wider, glancing nervously to either side. "Y-you want to go to the moon? As in... the giant rock that's thousands and thousands of miles away? I'm afraid I only know where things are here in Greenleaf. M-maybe you should find somepony else."

Oh no. She lurched forward, snatching the pony's foreleg with one of hers. They felt strange to the touch—soft and velvety, like having a moth between her teeth. Only this time, she wasn't eating dinner. "Maybe somewhere else, then. Do you know any creature who makes maps? Or... maybe an explorer? Or... even others like me?"

"Like you!" they exclaimed, buzzing with agitation. They pulled at their leg, trying to get free—but Mira didn't let them. "Uh... oh! I know somewhere we can go. Follow me!"

Mira let go reluctantly, though she didn't think this creature could get away. "Sure! I'm Mira, by the way. Who are you?"

They glanced nervously to either side, as though expecting one of the nearby creatures to help them. None did, and their antennae folded back into their mane again. "I'm Sandy."

"Alright Sandy! Why don't you show me the way?"