• Published 16th Oct 2023
  • 817 Views, 93 Comments

Mersey - Admiral Biscuit



Mersey reflects on her job as a canal pony

  • ...
1
 93
 817

Fens Yard

Fens Yard
Admiral Biscuit

The rudimentary ‘towpath’ inside the lock was made out of the same stones as the rest of the lock, wet and slick with algae. It was just there to give her someplace to walk before she boarded her barge, and not all the locks had them, since they were a danger to descending barges—they could catch their hulls on the stones and tip over as the water drained out.

There were bollards inset into the lock walls in case they needed to tie their barge off. Mersey had never seen anypony use them—it would be impossible for a descending barge to tie to them, and a rising barge would capsize itself if it were tied off.

She waited until the barge had bumped off the upstream gates and then jumped aboard, turning and pulling her towrope up behind her.

Up above them, Swanky shoved the lock gates shut. Some of the locks on side-canals were rarely used and had stiff gates; all the ones on the collier routes were easy to work.

There was a loud thud as the two gates slammed together, and she felt the barge move under her. Swanky trotted around to the upstream paddles and started turning the lever, and then the barge was moving backwards, bumping against the downstream gates as the water started filling the lock.

She watched the stone ‘towpath’ vanish under the water, turning greener and greener until it disappeared completely, and then she just watched their slow ascent as the canal boat gyrated in the canal, dancing on the currents. Flash occasionally twisted the rudder to get its stern in line. It was something they’d done hundreds of times.

As it neared the top, the currents eased off. The nose of their barge was still close to the towpath, close enough for her to jump.

Mersey checked to make sure the rope wasn’t tangled in anything, then hopped off the side of the barge and onto the towpath. There was already another barge waiting to enter—both Swanky and their towpony were leaning on the gate arms, forcing them open before the water could fully equalize.

While she started getting her barge underway, Swanky was spinning the paddle gates shut again. When they were in place, he waited for the barge to come to him, then jumped aboard.

After the first set of locks, Swanky would be napping in the cabin and she’d be in charge of the gates and valves, hitching and unhitching as needed. For these, she had nothing to do but wait.

•••

There was a time when the towpath through the forest had made her nervous. The ponies who had built the canal had considered the obvious advantages of a straight route versus the practicality of the actual terrain in front of their muzzles and made the best compromises they could; the route was mostly a series of broad, sweeping curves—much like the natural course of a river—with occasional straight sections where they had to cut through hills or build over low spots.

More to the point, she couldn’t see all of it. Back home on the farm, she could see the boundaries of the fields, and could keep track of where she was when she and Swanky pulled plows or harrows. Even when the crops were high and they were working the cultivator, she always knew where she was and how far she had to go. On the towpath, there had been no way to know. It was a chaos of trees and bushes and vines and ferns and weeds and whatever else felt like growing, and when she’d started, she didn’t know how to keep track of it all, or what the landmarks were.

Now she did, and it was as familiar as any field. Just like Flash Lock knew the waters and how they acted upon the boat, she knew the forest and the path. She knew what stayed the same and what changed on every passage.

Her nostrils flared as she closed on the wrecked bridge. Nothing was left of it but the heavy stone abutments, and a pile of mossy stones which had once been the counterweight for the drawbridge. Flash had told her that bargees burned it down because it was in the way, and even now she could still faintly smell the fire. Whatever timber the flames hadn’t claimed, moss and decay had.

There was always a curious eddy in the water beneath the former bridge. It might have been something as prosaic as fallen timbers, or as exotic as now purposeless bridge spirits.

She tapped a hoof against a weatherworn foundation stone tumbled onto the path, as she always had, and continued on. The towrope tugged for an instant as the barge hit the eddy, and then it was free.

The land around the canal changed past the ruined toll bridge; now it was marshy. Sometimes in spring the towpath would be muddy and she’d have to keep her nose down to see the soft spots, to keep from tripping over somepony else’s shoeprints. It was not unlike the fields of home; the soil was always soft when they tilled it in the spring.

Sometimes gravel got dumped in the worst spots. Sometimes it was properly graded and sometimes it wasn’t. Flash said that a few of the coal companies would occasionally tow a barge or two full of overburden down the canal and try to level off the path.

Keeping the towpath smooth was as important as keeping the water depth in the canal.

There wasn’t really any definite line between the forest and the marsh. In dry years, the forest extended further west; in wet years, it didn’t. Lots of dead trees still stood in the marshy water, their trunks and few remaining branches almost bone-white, victims of too much water, or too many nutrients in the soil.

Some sections of the canal that bridged low spots had earthen banks, and a few others were walled in with quarry stones, neatly stacked and almost watertight—they were always damp, and moss grew thick on the north-facing sides.

•••

Mersey slowed as they approached the Fens rail yard. A fully-loaded barge was tied to the dock; a sign on its stern said “West.” That was a load, maybe.

Flash saw it, too, and angled the barge across the canal. There wasn’t any oncoming traffic to worry about, and the towline was plenty long enough. Mersey had to shift her angle as the boat drifted across the canal; now the rope was pulling her rump sideways.

As Flash straightened, there would be a big pull and she’d hold her place, standing as a temporary anchor for the barge to pivot around, then she could start moving again once it had established itself along the opposite bank.

Once the barge was on its new course, Flash put her hooves to her lip and whistled; even though Mersey knew it was coming, she flinched. It was almost as loud as the steam locomotives that shouted in the rail yard.

When she’d first started pulling the barge, the yard didn’t come so close to the canal. The dock had been there, but there had been a screen of trees that dampened down all the sounds of the trains; now she had no choice but to look at the ranks of railroad cars that were going to put her out of a job someday.

She tried not to think about that too much, tried not to consider how every year she’d been towing the barge, the towpaths and the canal had gotten a little worse, a little less maintained. They’d towed some of the loads that helped the railroad expand, dropping them off at this very dock–the railroad didn’t have an efficient way to get the timbers it needed for bridges. Yet. All too soon that would come; the railroad was quickly expanding to reach new markets, faster than anypony could dig a canal there. The fact that they could get away with shoddy wooden trestles for a train to crawl across instead of a proper stone bridge like the canal used was insulting.

A pony poked his head over the rail yard embankment, then trotted down the ramp to the dock. Mersey knew him; he was one of the two ponies who ran the barge operation at Fens Yard.

•••

Stopping and starting was hard; keeping the barge moving wasn’t all that difficult. The canal had no current to speak of, and once it got moving the barge wanted to keep moving. The only times she felt she really had to work was when they were locking through; for the rest of the journey it was easier than pulling a plow.

When she was a greenhoof on the canals, she hadn’t appreciated Flash’s skills at boat handling, but now that she was wise and experienced, she did. The helmsmares on some barges constantly crashed into the banks, or made unnecessary stops and turns, and their towponies had to work harder to get the barge through. The colliers were the worst offenders; it was anypony’s guess about where one of their barges was going to go. She’d seen one of them crash headlong into an opposing boat at Oakton, and she’d overheard plenty of grumbling from their towponies.

Flash never seemed to make a mistake or a miscalculation. There had been a few times when she was first learning that things hadn’t gone as well as they should have, but it had never been Flash’s fault.

“Hoy, Mersey, new barge.”

She flicked her tail; she’d already knew.

“Through to Stroudwater.”

That was unusual; railroad barges usually got left in Oakton. More work for her, and more for Swanky in the afternoon . . . maybe they could pull together.

She missed that from the fields. Taking turns made sense, and having an extra pony on the boat to handle lines or lock gates or whatever was needed was more efficient than having two ponies in tandem on the towpath, but it was always nicer to have her brother at her side.

Most of the time, she didn’t really need to look back at the barge. She and Flash were a good team who didn’t need to know what the other was doing. She could see the other barges on the canal, or the set of the lock gates, and knew what Flash would do. A new barge was tricky. She estimated its weight compared to theirs, glanced back to make sure that the railpony had cast off all the lines, and again to see that Flash had looped her towrope around its bow bollard.

And she kept her eyes back as the rope went taut, as the jerk went through her harness, even though she’d stopped and braced herself. Ropes were springy, and hooking up to the previously stationary barge had recoil.

Then the barge was following along. Flash waited until it was moving and then started to pull in the towline. Some ponies liked to keep their towline long, but that required a second pony to steer the trailing barge; Flash liked to pull them tight so she could steer both of them from her barge.

It was heavier than she’d expected. Not unmanageable, but she was going to be working hard for the rest of the morning. They probably wouldn’t be able to coast through Oakton.

That was a problem for later.

A freight train rushed by on the other side of the canal, the engineer whistling out her warning. Mersey snorted at it and dug her hooves in, feeling the odd syncopated double tug of the pair of barges through her harness. For now, at least, they could still haul cargo where the train couldn’t.

•••

Mersey’s stomach was grumbling by the time they got to the bridge basin. This was routine; her tummy knew this was where they’d have lunch, one side or the other. Judging by the Manehattan-bound traffic, it would be lunch before the bridge today.

Delays always frustrated her, but she’d learned this was a good one. It was a natural midpoint on the journey, and it was where the upbound and downbound canal traffic most often intersected. They could stop and get lunch, let a bunch of downbound traffic pass, and have a clearer canal on the rest of their trip, which meant less competition for locks and sometimes an easier passage through Oakton and Lock Lake.

They settled in along the bank, fifth in a line of upbound barges. She could see all the way across, see all the Manehattan-bound traffic on the bridge and queued up on the other side, almost all the way to the end of their basin. A glance back at two more upbound barges behind them, one all the way back at the turn in the canal–they’d wait for that to come up.

Everypony knew the routine, knew how it was supposed to work. The food boats knew; as soon as Flash had tied them off, the food boat bumped up against their gunnel, and as they passed Flash and Swanky’s food onto deck, Swanky himself came out of the cabin, rubbing sleep out of his eyes.

A pegasus filly landed on the towpath in front of her, setting down a paper sack of porridge, then flew off again, back to the food boat.

Sometimes she’d eat on the barge. It was tied up, she didn’t have to stay on the towpath. She didn’t even have to drop the towrope if she didn’t want to, as long as she was careful to not snag it on the cabins or railings.

There were mixed feelings on the etiquette when it came to eating on the towpath. Most experienced towponies preferred being ready to pull, because you never knew when one of the waiting barges on the other side might have a problem, and the bridge would open to the upbound side early, and then everypony else would be mad if you weren’t ready to go.

That had only happened to her once, back in her first season of towing. She’d gotten the barge moving fast enough to not cause a delay, but had had to sacrifice most of her lunch as a result. Swanky had kept it for her, but as much as she hated wasting food, she just couldn’t eat cold porridge.