• Published 20th Jun 2023
  • 1,066 Views, 29 Comments

The Scales of Attraction - Relaxing Dragon



A rambling high school romance between a lonely dragon and a spunky pegasus

  • ...
4
 29
 1,066

Chapter 2 - September 18th

“-took me like fifty tries, but I finally beat her at around three in the morning. She kept summoning attack drones! She’s already sitting in a whole tank! So cheap, even for that game. Thank goodness I’d upgraded my nitro cannon or I’d probably still be trying to fight her.”

Button’s voice droned at a steady pace. Spike just nodded. He was locked in a serious recap of his latest late night gaming session. Spike was long used to these, but even after all these years, he was still amazed his friend got so little sleep and yet had so much energy every morning with which to deliver them.

“Uh-huh…” the dragon said wearily.

Button carried on. “Anyway, she’s done, wrapped up that base, though I think there’s some random secrets I haven’t found yet, I need to explore the rooftops again. And then I’m back to the badlands because there’s a least five more outposts I gotta get through, and that one mutant boss in the crystal mine…”

Spike’s mind, cozy in his familiar gray hoodie, drifted away.

Gotta get these formulas down, no way Wormwood provides us the proofs for the test… Shoot, wait, did I recheck the figures for the lab today? I think I did but my reasoning was kinda shaky and Ms. Lane always gets me if I can’t prove all my work. Okay formulas first, then recheck figures, I got time, can do it at lunch too… Advisor meeting right after school, but I thought she said last time she was off this week? Wait, yeah, that’s gotta be next week, I know I wrote this down, got it somewhere, I’ll check-

“Spike!”

Button’s hand hit the table. Spike jolted forward and shook his head. The two were seated in the school library at one of the long tables near the back window of the second floor. Button’s shout drew little attention, empty as the library was at barely eight in the morning, but it still got a reproachful look from the librarian at the nearby reference desk. Button shot her an apologetic expression and then turned back to Spike.

“Sorry, but you were doing your ‘staring into nothing for a while’ thing and I was losing you entirely.”

Spike shook his head again. “Yeah, sorry, just… tired. And a lotta school work on my mind this morning, gotta focus on it.”

Button stared incredulously. “What are you even doing, Spike? It’s morning study hall. Classes haven’t started yet. This is as close to a school-sanctioned goof off period as you’re gonna get, and you’re stuck in your notebooks actually studying.”

Spike looked around the room. Mocha Berry was a few seats down, idly flipping through a comic book hovering in front of him. Glamourpatch and Spring Shine were huddled together at another table, both whispering and giggling about nothing in particular. A freshman unicorn was sneaking a nap on the large couch up front. Over on the computer table Snips and Snails were furiously typing away at what looked like a web forum, and while Spike couldn’t make out the site’s subject matter from here he wagered a guess it was something they’d rather the school not know about.

He turned back to the table in front of him. His calculus textbook was open next to his main notebook. Chem and Stat books weren’t far away. He looked back at Button and could only shrug.

“I have a lot I need to prepare for. There’s a big lab assessment today, I’ve got a calculus exam tomorrow, and a pretty big history paper due next week.”

Button rolled his eyes.

“Spike, school’s been in session for like, what, a month?”

“Three and a half weeks,” Spike said absent-mindedly.

“Three and a half weeks!” Button said. “Where are you even finding all this homework? Most of my classes are still gearing up for their first tests.”

“Yeah, but most of your classes are stuff like Journalism and History of Film,” Spike countered with a small smile. “While half of mine are AP courses.”

“Oooh, look at Mr. Smarty Elitist here. They really must beat you down in those things, huh?” Button said with a whistle. “Hope it’s all worth it in the end.”

“Gotta get those grades to get that good college.” Spike tried to chuckle. “I just need to stay on top of it all one more year, and then…”

“And then you can earn yourself four more years of even more intense work. I wanna go to a good school too, but I also don’t wanna burn out before I even get there.”

“I can handle it. I got this, I promise.”

“Uh-huh. Is your mom putting you up to this?”

“Twilight is supportive of my academic decisions.”

“That counts as yes.”

A loud ringing sound broke up the conversation and caused a stir throughout the whole building. Books and papers were shoved into bags, computers shut down, and a slow herd began making its way towards the door.

Morning bell: ten minutes to first period. Time for another school day.

“Anyway,” Spike said with some emphasis as he leaned back in his chair to stretch his arms and wings, “I like my classes. I like learning what I’m learning, it’s interesting to me.”

“Hey, my classes are interesting, too!” Button feigned indignity with a hand on his chest. “I’m learning just how to sweet talk Mrs. Softquill so she’ll let me put a recurring video game review column in the school paper this year.”

“Button, just join the debate team already. You’d be good at it.”

“Who’s got the time?”

Spike pushed the doors open and the two of them walked out into the early morning light of Ponyville High. They were greeted by the wide open quad, occupied as always by scattered tables, trees, and clusters of students taking their sweet time getting to class. The expanded cafeteria/gym sat directly across from them. To their left, the open grass and sports fields, and to the right the looming presence that is the two-story school building itself. Spike had long heard students grumble about the strange layout of the school and so many elements being separate from each other, but he liked it. Gave one a chance at some fresh air before going back into the depths.

The two friends hustled across the quad and through one of the open doors and down the hallway. Rows of lockers lined each wall and the endless crowd of students milled about. Button waved at a friend while Spike focused on his day.

What was my history paper topic again… the first Fillydelphia elections, that’s right. Gotta pick a book. Or maybe… I wonder how disappointed Twilight would be if I just researched stuff online for this one.

He dodged left and right through the crowds. Despite his wings giving him a wider figure than most, he managed to keep a low profile, dashing swiftly between ponies talking by their lockers or walking into the classrooms, weaving past the range of tails that always seemed to find their way in front of him. Most hardly even noticed him. Not even the one he reflexively reached out towards to stop some of their books from tumbling out of their locker to the floor.

Oh right, Ms. Sundaze also wanted to talk to Twilight about some classroom spells. Aren’t there other unicorns in this school who can do that? Like she’s the one magical user in the area everyone turns to. Or maybe does it all on purpose to keep an eye on me. Probably that. Sweet? I guess?

Button struggled to keep pace. “Spike, you gotta walk slower man, I am a but a simple lazy pony. We move at our own pace.”

Okay, wait, what’s my checklist for today: chem work first, then history, then calc prep exam… need to find time for econ work this weekend, too…

“Hey Button, hey Spike.”

Apple Bloom’s words caused both boys to slow their roll, but only slightly. Six minutes left to start of class. No time to dawdle.

“Hi hi!” Button’s chipper words sang out in the halls.

Apple Bloom frowned. “Button, that’s too much energy for eight in the morning.”

“I thought you farm folks were used to getting up early.”

“Doesn’t mean we gotta like it.”

“Well, I’ve been told my attitude can brighten anypony’s day.”

“Uh-huh.” Apple Bloom took a moment to look Button up and down. That day Button had opted to go with his Legend of Orion shirt, a bright green affair with a crude starship pattern spraypainted on and a long string of text indecipherable to anyone who hadn’t played at least two games in the series. “Button, dear, we have got to do something about your shirt choices.”

“I know, I know… it’s not as good as my pun ones, but those are in the wash.” Button sighed dramatically. “I know how much you miss those. But don’t worry, I’ve got some nice fancy ones coming in soon, and that’ll make everypony happy.”

“I don’t believe that and Spike doesn’t believe that. Do you, Spike?”

No, wait, that’s no good, today’s Wednesday, calc prep is tomorrow…

“Spike? Hello?”

“Sorry Apple Bloom, he’s in his zone.”

The pony tilted her head in confusion. Button pointed to Spike’s face.

“See, when his eyes are glazed over like that? Study brain zone, real hard to snap him out.”

“It is September, what is there to even-”

“I know, I know, I tried telling him that but here we are.”

Okay so I can do more for econ early, swap that around and do calc over the weekend, exam is next Wednesday, ugh of course Twilight was right, I need to organize my study board better…

“Well, good luck to him then. Button, you still doing your LAN party this weekend?”

Button grinned. “Wouldn’t be the weekend without a Spacecraft session. Besides, I want a rematch, last time cannot stand.”

“Hey, you keep playing with your weird little bug creatures, you’re gonna get stomped by my tanks.”

“The Crits shall rise again!” Button gave a thumbs up, before lowering his voice. “You uh… you think Sweetie Belle will tag along this time?”

Apple Bloom shook her head and checked her watch. “I keep telling you, it’s not really her scene. Not sure why you want her there anyway, she doesn’t even know how to play. And I gotta get to Bio now, so take care guys!”

Button waved her off. “Bye, see you later!”

Apple Bloom wandered towards her class, while Button hurried along, practically tugging Spike with him. Three minutes to class. Button was thankful his first period was in the room right next to Spike’s. They turned a corner and were up the stairs two at a time, up and around and nearing the doors at the end of the quickly dispersing hall.

“Come on smart guy, that’s it, steer yourself around the ponies and through the door…”

These books are way too heavy, gonna throw my back out by November, need to see about getting a second locker up here for quicker access, can they do that? I’ll need to ask tomorrow during advisor appointment, since that’s definitely tomorrow, and also-

A flash of orange at the end of the hall broke Spike’s concentration.

Scootaloo scurried along, deep in conversation with a girl Spike didn’t know but who looked like another softball teammate. They were headed across from the opposing stairs towards an open door. For a brief moment, Scootaloo looked up and caught Spike’s eye. She smiled and gave a quick wave and then she was gone, lost in the crowd funneling into a classroom. Spike didn’t even register fast enough to try and wave back.

Button raised an eyebrow. “What’s up, dude?”

Spike blinked. “Huh? What?”

“Something caught your eye.”

“No, uh, I was just, you know, lost in thought.”

Button shook his head. “No, this was a different look, not your zone thing. You actually stopped and focused here. What’s up?”

“...nothing, I guess.”

Button moved to position his eyes next to Spike’s and look where he’d been looking.

“Hmm, nothing there, but you’ve had that look before, when was it…”

Spike moved quicker than Button anticipated and was nearly at the door before the pony began to smile.

“We’re gonna talk about this later! Count on it!” he shouted with a grin as Spike ducked into AP History.

The sound of the bell made Button jump and he all but ran into the adjoining room, wherein he almost tripped over his teacher’s tail as she started roll call.

Next door, Spike slipped quietly into his seat and stared into space.

…huh


Lunch always scattered the school. Some headed for the large cafeteria at the rear of the building to line up for whatever was on the menu that day, while others who brown bagged from home headed for the field or baseball bleachers for a more outdoorsy experience. A few quick upperclassmen even hopped off campus to the fast food joint a few blocks away, though the vice-principal was always quick to grab whoever got back so much as a minute late.

Wherever anyone ended up, they had 45 minutes to relax and munch and appreciate the moments of free time afforded to them.

Spike sat at one of the lunch tables near the corner of the cafeteria, one closest to the nearly-floor-to-ceiling windows that made up the back wall. He liked it there. It got him a nice view of the field and kept him a good distance from the hustle of the tray line, while the open slots over every window got him a nice bit of breeze to push away the smell of so much cheap processed food.

Thank goodness for Twilight and her cooking. And also thank goodness for Pinkie teaching her how to cook.

He put down his gem-encrusted sandwich and looked back out the window. His eyes wandered in an idle fashion, pretending not to know what they were looking for but still pausing on every orange body they found, and gradually becoming more surprised at how many students at this school fit that particular hue.

I gotta stop doing this, I got econ in half an hour and I know Graphly is gonna grill me on the Canterlot Reforms Scandal… whaaaaat am I looking for, what am I doing…

A shadow fell over the table. Spike looked over and then up to find Featherweight standing opposite him, lunch tray in hand. He gave Spike a friendly nod that the dragon returned.

It was a source of endless speculation in school exactly how tall Featherweight had gotten. Somehow everyone was too polite to ask, and he was too good natured to notice the stares, so it all found a way to work out.

“Oh, hey dude.” Spike slid his lunch bag over to make some room. “Anything good today?”

Featherweight shrugged on his way down to the bench. “Sloppy Joes, which I have only ever had at school, so I have no frame of reference as to whether these are good or not.”

Button popped up from the crowd and slipped right in next to Spike.

“I’ve heard the school’s changing tofu suppliers to something cheaper,” he said, passing Spike his usual extra chocolate milk. “So enjoy these while you can.”

“I will make the effort.” Featherweight dug in while Spike turned to look out the window once more. Button tried to follow his eyes only to be foiled by a reflected glare.

“Alright Spike, gotta get to the bottom of this, because there’s something here,” Button said. He placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder and leaned in close. “Something… secret, even?”

Spike shrugged. “You’ve already lost me.”

“Oh no, I’ve seen it every week since school started. Twice a week. Three times a week, even!”

“Seen what?”

“That look, that thing where your eyes do the focused thing.” Button tried to demonstrate and stared Spike down. The dragon couldn’t help but flinch.

“Not that intense,” Featherweight said without looking up from his meal. “Less of a Boring Through Skull With Laser Eyes thing, more of a Searching For Something thing.”

Spike shook off Button’s continued stare. “Have you two been comparing notes?”

Button smiled. “Like I said, that look, three times a week. That’s three times, what, three weeks-”

“Three and a half,” Spike said.

“Three times three and a half! And that’s, you know, some number-”

“Eleven point five.”

“My point is,” Button said, somewhat flustered, “it’s been frequent enough to notice and to start to wonder and you should probably tell us something because otherwise I’m gonna start developing theories and how does that always go?”

“How does that always go?” Spike asked.

“Featherweight, tell him how that always goes.”

Featherweight sighed. “In endless circles.”

Button’s eyes went wide and he pointed up at the pegasus. “Got it in one, our boy knows all.”

“You got more self aware over the summer,” Spike said, raising his eyebrows at Button. His friend beamed.

“It’s called leveling up! And it was bound to happen eventually.”

“I think ‘personal growth’ would be a better way to put that.”

Button waved a dismissive hand in front of Spike’s face. “Gotta still stay on brand. Now, back on topic: Spike, friend, buddy, pal… what’s up? Something’s grabbing you, and for once it isn’t school. It’s not any new game, since there’s nothing good out until Contagion 4 comes out next month, and I don’t think it’s anything at home because every time I’m over there things seem exactly the same as they always do, so… uh, yeah, that’s all I got, but is something up? Are you okay?”

“It is good to share. If you want to, of course,” Featherweight added. “Despite Button being… Button, we do not want to push anything you are uncomfortable with.”

“Oh yeah, sure, just, you know… you wanna say anything, we’re all ears.”

Button and Featherweight wore earnest expressions as they looked at Spike. Looking back and forth between his two friends, Spike could only smile.

“This is real sweet guys, but I’m fine. Just… thinking something over. When that becomes something I wanna share, I will, but for now I’m totally fine. I promise.”

Button squinted his eyes, then shrugged. “Well, I tried. Open invitation there, though. Now, Featherweight, you and I gotta talk about this weekend, because I think we’re gonna need more ethernet cables to connect everyone together. Also I wonder if we can get any more monitors, since Water Spout said he can make it this time…”

As Button’s LAN party planning carried on, Spike rested his head on his hand. It wasn’t long before his eyes were back out on the field. He’d narrowed in on what he was after right around when Button sat down, and she was still there, sitting with a group on a low bleacher bench and laughing at something someone else had just said.

He didn’t know why he bothered looking around. Scootaloo always had lunch there, it was her and Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle’s usual lunch spot whenever they ate together. Somehow he knew, though, that if he had sat down and looked directly at her, then it wouldn’t feel right.

Suddenly, Scootaloo turned her head and looked over at the cafeteria. For a moment their eyes locked. Spike hurriedly turned back to his food.

This is dumb and you know it, back to work, back to work…

It took some energy to force his brain to think about economic theory, but he muscled through it.


There was a calm breeze moving through the field that occasionally kicked up with a brief gust of moderate intensity, swirling through the grass and tossing around whatever napkins students were sloppy enough to lose track of. Scootaloo watched one such miniature vortex make its way across the lawn and towards the rear fence.

Somepony’s messing with the wind machine again in the weather lab.

She grinned. The school did its best with the foolhardy few who wanted to get into the climate sciences, and that meant indulging a lot of trial and error. Or just some simple pranks. Whatever the cause, from her point of view it meant adding variety on otherwise dull and cloudless end-of-summer-start-of-school days.

Seated next to her, tail splayed on the bleacher bench somehow both lazily and gracefully, Sweetie Belle was leaning back and in the middle of her latest social update.

“...which you know what it means when she says that, but hey, I’m not judging. Anyway, Jasmine was talking to Penelope about Posey because Posey had been sneaking behind her back to talk to Alpine and he totally didn’t even notice because he’s still hot for Sapphire Spirit and so…”

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo could only smile and nod. They loved their friends’ keen obsession with the various social flows of the school, though they never could keep up. Or even recognize most of the names she said. Scootaloo secretly wondered if she was making some up, just to test them, but she never pushed the matter.

Taking a moment to stretch out her wings and shake loose some stiff feathers, Scootaloo turned to face the field.

Ugh, baseball jocks are gonna trash this place again before we even have our first practice session next Spring. Don’t know why this school doesn’t get us a dedicated field, softball always ranks a lot better every year anyway.

“Oh, Sweetie Belle, before I forget,” Apple Bloom said when Sweetie paused for breath. “Button wants to know if you’re comin’ to his computer party thing on Saturday.”

Sweetie Belle considered for a moment. “Now, when you say it’s a party…”

Apple Bloom smiled and shook her head. “Not that kind. Gonna be me an’ him an’ some of his friends playin’ video games all night, probably watchin’ some movies too.”

“I think I’ll have to politely decline.”

“Come on, they’re fun! I’ve been goin’ for a while now, an’ I always have a good time. Just a nice, chill hangout. You don’t gotta play the games even, can just sit and chat.”

“Just tell them I’ve got to sort out my outfits for next week, I’m sure they’ll understand.”

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes. “You’re turnin’ into your sister more an’ more every day, you know that?”

“Ugh, don’t remind me.’ Sweetie Belle let out a dramatic sigh. “I know I’m doing it and I try to stop it and yet I still do it. I guess I can’t fight genetics, you know?”

“Uh-huh.” Apple Bloom shifted her focus. “Scootaloo, how about you?”

Scootaloo didn’t respond. Her attention had wandered from the baseball diamond, across the pony-strewn field. It briefly stopped on Star Rush hanging out near the big tree with some other jocks, causing her to shudder internally. She quickly moved her gaze back towards campus, and specifically, to the large cafeteria windows. It was a long way off, but pegasi had good eyesight, and Scootaloo was no exception. Her focused view netted her a specific dragon sitting right by the glass. Sitting and watching her.

Their eyes met. She saw Spike flinch and look away, a sandwich in his mouth moments later.

She let slip a small smile.

What to do with him…

“Scootaloo? Hey, Scootaloo!” Apple Bloom waved her hand in front of her friend’s face, finally getting her attention.

“Huh, what?”

“I asked, are you gonna come to Button’s LAN party Saturday night?”

“Oh, sorry, can’t. Family stuff all weekend, you know that.”

“Oh yeah! Sorry, got my dates mixed up for a sec.”

Sweetie Belle raised an eyebrow. “What were you looking at just now?”

Scootaloo looked at her as innocently as she could manage. “Just staring into space, thinking of nothing at all.”

Sweetie Belle narrowed her eyes. “Scootaloo…”

“Fine, fine… over by the quad I just saw Sunny Daze talking to Lemon Sprite. Talking real closely, if you get my meaning.”

Sweetie Belle gasped. “I knew it, I just knew it! Lemme tell you, those two have been trying to hook up since Freshman year, and now…”

And Sweetie Belle was off to the races once more. Apple Bloom busied herself by checking a few texts on her phone, carefully keeping it hidden in her bag lest a teacher see, while Scootaloo snuck one more quick look at the cafeteria.

Spike’s table was vacant now, and he was nowhere to be found.

…Hmmm


The ring of the final bell was always met with some level of relief and good cheer. No matter how good a day at school is going, everyone, student and teacher alike, is glad when it’s over. They filtered out of every exit, most heading to the large bike rack out front. A moderate number of pegasi walked out past the fenced perimeter, ready to fly home just as soon as they cleared the Grounding Spell that kept everyone with their hooves on the floor while on school property. It didn’t take long before the whole campus was largely deserted, save for a few study groups in the library and whatever after school clubs were up and running.

Up on the second floor and in one of the more isolated corners of the building, Spike busied himself in his locker. Books in, books out, papers shuffled, snack levels counted. The usual after school activity, today delayed by a long chat with a teacher after the final bell.

Freaking Wormwood, can’t give me any damn slack at all, got all the homework questions right and aced that pre-school exam he forced on me and he’s still “concerned about my performance,” thank goodness Twilight doesn’t even bother with him anymore.

Spike grumbled to himself and slammed the door shut. The metal clang echoed down the empty hall. It was louder than he expected and he jumped with a start. A quick glance in every direction reassured him that he was still alone.

Easy there, Spike. That’s too jittery for a Wednesday.

He headed down the long hall to the nearest exit. His mind quickly began a tabulation of tasks while his legs went to autopilot.

Okay, do that calc review again, shouldn’t take long, then start on history. Does Twilight have the books for that? Didn’t someone check out like half that section last week? Need to check the records when I get home.

Spike’s feet pounded in the silence as he turned and headed down the stairs.

Ugh, also that English Composition thing, what even was that? Totally spaced already. Got until Tuesday for that, maybe I can push and do it Monday if the word count’s low.

One flight of stairs past, then two. The ground floor lay in front of him. Spike hurried down two steps at a time.

As he neared the final step a figure suddenly appeared in front of him. Spike ducked and practically rolled forward, popping up and sliding backwards until his backpack hit the lockers across the way, wings slightly extended in his startled state. He blinked a few times to clear his head.

Scootaloo stood frozen by the stairs, eyes wide. She finally sniggered. “Uh, real smooth move there, bud.”

Spike gulped, then patted himself on the chest. “Uh, yeah, you know… all in the reflexes. Years of dodging falling books in the library.”

Scootaloo smiled wider. “That must’ve been a real dangerous youth.”

“Yeah, you know Twilight, always putting the big ones up top, and, uh…” Spike smiled awkwardly, rubbing the back of his head. He took a few steps to the side to clear the lockers and put a little distance between himself and Scootaloo.

Wait, where am I going?

“What are you doing here?” He asked. “Like, this late after school, I mean. I know you’re in school to, uh, be in school, and… stuff.”

Scootaloo gave a nod. “Yyyyeah, so, just, like, at the office. Had to get them some updated medical papers, no big deal. Headed home now. What about you?”

“Oh, Mr. Wormwood wanted to talk to me after class.”

“Wow, in trouble in AP Calc. Good for you, rocking the boat early in the year.”

“Nah, he just wanted to review my work a bit. I’m acing that class and he just, uh, wanted to check on that…”

“Weird to see a teacher take an interest in somepony doing too well.”

Not when the teacher hates smart dragons…

“Yeah, well, it is what it is…”

The pause lingered, then extended. Spike shifted from one leg to another, tightening the grip on his backpack.

Okay, time to go home, work to do, no time for anything other than that, no time at all, let’s go now.

“Well, sooooooo… see you later, then.” Spike said, motioning towards the far doors behind him. “Gotta lotta homework. Need to get home.”

Scootaloo shrugged. “Well, okay Spike. Talk to you later then?”

“Yeah, yes please, definitely.”

Spike and Scootaloo turned from each other, heading towards opposite exits.

Gotta do that stupid study review and then that stupid paper and then that other stupid paper and then-

Spike stopped. He turned, slowly but surely, and looked back.

“Uh, hey, Scootaloo?”

She paused and looked over her shoulder. “Yeah?”

Wait what’s happening-

“So, um, I was just wondering, if, um…” Spike stammered. He felt a warmth in his forehead that was new and very unwelcome.

Scootaloo turned all the way around. Spike looked at her. Usual ratty jeans, backpack slung over one shoulder, and a thin jacket half-covering a faded Return of the Flesh Eaters t-shirt. In other words, Scootaloo appearing as her usual self.

Wow she looks good.

The more he looked, the hotter his forehead got. He gulped.

Scootaloo waited. “What’s up?”

“It’s just that, well, if you…”

Just abort, you’re in over your head, turn and leave and let her think you’re the same weirdo she already thinks you are-

Spike took a deep breath.

“Are you doing anything Friday night? Wanna… wanna go out? With me? On Friday? Dinner on Friday night?”

The school was whisper quiet. Spike could only hear his own heartbeat pounding in his ears.

Scootaloo watched him for the longest second of Spike’s life. Then she laughed. Spike felt his heart collapse into itself.

“Oh! Wow, uh, cool, um…” Scootaloo’s hands made fists on her backpack straps. “Sorry dude, I uh… my parents are in town this weekend, and I don’t really see them much, you know? So, real busy from, like, tomorrow night through next week when I’m not at school. Real… real busy.”

“Ah… okay! Yeah, that, that’s fine.” Spike faked a smile and put up a hand. “That makes sense, wow your parents? I haven’t seen them in forever, hope they’re doing fine, you guys have a good time, I gotta take off now, see ya, bye!”

He turned on his heels and scurried forward.

Dumb dumb dumb DUMB what was that supposed to be anyway okay fine if I avoid her for a month maybe she’ll forget probably hopefully maybe-

“I’m free next Friday.”

She didn’t speak loud, but the words still pierced right through Spike’s head like an arrow. He practically skidded to a stop and pivoted on his heel. Scootaloo was watching him, hands at her side and grin on her face.

“Huh?” Spike could only sputter out.

“I’m available. Next Friday night. For a dinner date.” Scootaloo said calmly. “That’s what you’re asking for, right? Gotta be clear about this stuff.”

“A dinn- yes! That! A… a date, yeah.” Spike’s smile was goofier than he would’ve liked and he was subconsciously glad he couldn't see himself right now. “Great! Thanks! I’ll, um…”

What do I do know should’ve written something down here no plan at all

A small buzz. Scootaloo scooped her phone out of her pocket and glanced over the screen.

“Listen, I gotta go, my Aunt is waiting for me,” she said without looking up as she typed a response on the tiny keyboard. “Text me later, okay?”

“Uh, yeah, I, uh…” Spike trailed off as Scootaloo walked towards the far door. Opening it and letting in the late afternoon sunlight, she paused one last time and looked back at Spike. He was still rooted in place in the middle of the hall.

“Spike… relax.” She winked at him. “You got this.”

The door shut, and she was gone.

Spike gulped. His legs refused to move. Moments ticked by.

“...Okay!” he pumped his fists, his shout echoing in the halls. Excitement flooded through his veins and he felt a burst of energy he’d rarely ever felt before.

The janitor coming down the stairs gave Spike a confused look. “Okay what?”

Spike’s eyes bugged out and he fled to an exit.

Nothingnotyousorrybyebewell!” He shouted over his shoulder.

Spike hit the doors running, past the bike racks, through the gates, and spread his wings for a quick takeoff. He felt a blinding need to get home and assess his life and he couldn’t get there fast enough.


Two blocks and a quick park path away from school was Morning Dew, the local cafe that stayed open far later than its name might suggest. It was always crowded after school. Its cozy beanbag-filled interior and ample patio space outside providing a welcome relaxation post for the flood of students looking for a good social space between classes and homelife. The owners didn’t mind the rush, so long as everyone bought something and didn’t leave a mess.

At one of the tables near the edge, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom sat quietly. School books were open in front of them and they both had their heads resting lazily on one hand as they read through whatever assignment they had to get through before dinner.

Abruptly, Sweetie Belle frowned and looked up. She glanced back and forth, then turned in her chair and looked behind her. Her movements were jerky and almost frantic. Apple Bloom tilted her head in confusion.

“What is it, Sweetie Belle?”

The unicorn turned back in her chair and looked at her. “Something just happened. I don’t know what. I can feel it. Something… social just happened.”

Apple Bloom could only stare, then her eyes returned to her book.

Sweetie Belle pulled out her phone and started flurry texting, thumbs moving at a terrific speed. Something somewhere had happened between someone and someone else, she felt it from horn to hooves. She had to know what, and she had to know soon, or she’d vibrate right out of her mind.