• Published 15th Jun 2023
  • 516 Views, 15 Comments

Cooling Embers - Incandesca



Turning the next page in her life, Sunset realizes that in order to move forward, she must go backward. To ensure a bright future, she must face her dark past, no matter how ugly its face. Yet demons thought forgotten are not so easily buried.

  • ...
1
 15
 516

Chapter 3: Come Home, Sweetling

Within the bounds of her skull, wardrums pounded.

Groaning, Sunset twisted herself from the sheets. She had a hangover.

Pure instinct could have told her that, but personal experience was not an insignifcant player either. She tried holding on to the knowledge such hangovers passed her by quickly, but in the awful, skull-splitting throb of the moment, that was difficult to keep in perspective.

Knowing her friends were likely having a rougher go of it gave her the strength needed to rise. Not everyone had indulged themselves, but Rainbow, Pinkie, and Fluttershy hit the bottle hard, Pinkie especially.

This presumed she was the one Sunset heard throwing up the previous night. That could also have been Fluttershy.

Downstairs, her suspicions were confirmed. Those three were splayed out or curled up around the living room nursing their hangovers, while everyone else cleaned. Terabyte assisted them, making up for the lost difference.

"Hey," croaked Sunset. "Anything I can do to help?"

"Ya'll look like trash. Sure yer in a good'nuff place fer that, sugarcube?"

She nodded. "I'm fine. Trust me when I say I've dealt with this before. I get over hangovers quickly."

"No need to rub it in," Rainbow said. Her eyes were closed and she held a palm to her head, taking intermittent swallows of water.

Sunset shrugged. "Just stating the facts."

She turned away and got to work. They hadn't made too much of a mess, fortunately. There wasn't even one shattered bottle or smear of blood, and in some of the places Sunset liked going to, that didn't make it much of a party at all.

When they finished, Sunset's migraine had dulled to a mild headache. Many of the girls said their goodbyes, whilst others stayed behind to hide their hangovers from their parents. Sunset had no such parents to worry about, however.

Hopping on her motorcycle, revving it up, she raced back to what for her counted as home.

She knew she was close once the potholes appeared. Before long the sight of her apartment block rose into view. It was a small, cheap, rundown thing, but the rent was good, and despite appearances, crime wasn't too horrible.

That didn't mean it was non-existent.

After unlocking the front door, she heaved the vehicle up and carried it inside. There, she laid it against the entry wall, where only it would ever reside.

Since the rum had barely been touched, she'd brought it back with her. She'd tried going for the tequila as well, before remembering Starlight had walked off with it. At least it wouldn't go to waste.

Now that she was home, she just wanted some water.

A beaten up couch made up the centerpiece of her living room, as it had been for years. She crashed onto it and grabbed her controller, hoping video games might quiet her unstill mind.

Game after game, she grew increasingly agitated. The longest she could play one was half an hour. Most lasted for less.

After failing to find something that could hold her attention, she decided to clean. Popping in her earbuds, she anticipated being able to finish a couple episodes of her favorite podcast.

She didn't finish one.

Sunset wasn't sure what she expected. Her apartment was a small, cramped thing with little in the way of furniture. Anything else like her TV, kitchen, or computer she used and made a habit of maintaining too frequently to acquire any dust or filth.

Her brain itched. She needed to do something, but what?

The answer struck her towards evening, after making dinner.

Playing her guitar always settled her nerves. For years now and likely many more into the future, rocking out proved time and again to be the melatonin to her soul.

Tonight however, she wasn't in a rocking out mood. She wanted something simpler, more down to Earth.

Or more accurately, down to Equus.

Leaned against the wall of her bedroom, beside its electric brother, was her accoustic guitar. She snatched it up, found a comfortable spot next to the window, and settled in. Closing her eyes, with the sun dipping below the horizon outside, she felt for the strings. Such delicate things they were, and what beautiful sounds they made.

She didn't think about what she wanted to play. She just played it. Fingers plucked, strumming the notes to create what started formless, aimless. But before long it gained a form, something buried in her subconscious - a song she hadn't thought of in quite some time.

It took until she was halfway through before she realized what she was playing.

When she did, she stopped. It wasn't a song from Earth.

She opened her eyes, and set the instrument aside.

She knew what she had to do now.

Standing, she searched for the journal linked to Twilight. She flipped it open to the most recent blank page, and clicked the ballpoint of her pen. It shook in her grip, barely perceptible to any but Sunset.

She pressed the tip to the page, and began to write.


A week later, Sunset stood at the front lot of CHS. Beneath her arm she cradled her old leather jacket, an article of clothing she'd possessed since first stepping through the mirror.

The sky glowed a murky, grayish blue. The crack of dawn trapped the celestial bodies in a strange purgatory, too early for the sun to rise or the moon to disappear.

No students milled about, and none would for another hour. It was a strange feeling for Sunset, knowing she was not one of them anymore. She wondered how many years might go by before the only people in that building to recognize her would be the staff.

It was not the first time she'd asked that question.

After all, Canterlot High was not the only school she'd attended.

She touched the statue's base, and reflected it would no longer be a suitable point for travel. It never had been, but now?

It had to be moved. That was clear. How she and Twilight might go about accomplishing such a task Sunset hadn't the slightest clue, but that was a discussion for later.

Before stepping through, she went down the checklist in her head.

Ray was with Fluttershy. Rainbow had her motorcycle. Applejack had her guitars. Twilight had the keys to her apartment, and the girls would pair up on the weekends to check it hadn't been broken into.

Quitting her job hadn't been quite so easy. She had to lie for the reasons she was leaving, but in the end she got the promise of being re-hired on her return. Sunset loathed to be so blatantly false with others, especially nowadays and especially to someone she had an otherwise positive rapport with, but she liked working there and wanted to keep that avenue open.

Confident that was everything, she drank the morning breeze. Its chill settled in her lungs, and its wind whispered through her autumn hair.

This was it. For one whole month, she'd be back in Equestria.

As she prepared to take the step forward, something exploded behind her. She whipped around, and saw a billowing cloud of smoke rise up from a nearby bush. A familiar blue-skinned girl stumbled out, coughing.

"Trixie," she said, matter of fact. The look of deadpan judgement must have been a powerful one, for the wannabe magician withered under her gaze. "What are you doing here?"

"Trixie should be asking you the same thing."

Sunset rolled her eyes. "I'm not really in the mood for games right now, Trix. Answer the question. Why are you here, and what do you want? Are you trying to stop me or something?"

"Not exactly. You told everyone you were leaving for a month, but you never said why."

"Didn't think I had to."

"No, you're correct. It's not fair of me to pry, but-" Trixie chewed her lower lip. "Something has been bothering you, Sunset. I can tell."

That gave Sunset pause. Trixie almost never used first names.

"I think everyone else just believes you're homesick. It's not like they don't have good reason to. You've been away for years, and now that we're done with highschool you have the opportunity to stay for a while, but you've never returned to Equestria for the sake of it. You've always had a purpose."

Folding her arms, Sunset asked, "What makes you believe I have a purpose now?"

"Because you've been weird."

"Weird?"

"Yes, weird! You've been on edge since the year started."

Sunset shrugged. "Maybe I was just worried about some magical bullshit ruining my last year of highschool. That's a pretty reasonable fear to have I think, considering the past."

"See, I thought the same at first, but you only got worse the closer we were to finishing. You're a good liar, Sunset Shimmer, but not good enough to lie to me. The Great and Powerful Trrrrixie sees all!" Trixie gesticulated wildly, thrusting her pointing hand high above.

Sunset half expected another explosion to occur, but none did. "Uh huh," she said, dully.

"Listen, Sunset. Do you remember the conversation we had a couple years ago, the one with that whole Brain Rock thing?"

"Memory Stone."

Trixie waved a hand. "Yeah yeah, Brain Stone, Memory Rock, same difference! My point is this - I thought that conversation we had meant something, or at least I liked to think so. With all my memories erased I had no reason to believe a word you were saying, but somehow I knew you were giving me the honest truth. In that same way I know you're not being honest with me now. You're my friend, Sunset, and I know something's wrong. Just tell me. Please?"

Sunset said nothing for a long moment.

Then, she sighed. "Okay. I'll tell you, but only you. Keep that pretty mouth of yours shut otherwise, got it?"

"Mhmm!" Trixie smiled, miming as though to zip her lips tight.

"So, obviously, CHS wasn't the first place I did some bad shit. Neither was Earth." She turned back to the statue. Lazily, she traced the contours of the stone with her thumb, rubbing it as though it might impart the strength to continue. "There's a whole other life I led on that side of the portal. It's one I never talked to anyone about, not entirely at least. I don't think anybody knows about all of it except me, not even Celestia."

"Principal Celestia? What would you have told her about it?"

Sunset shook her head. "Sorry, my bad. Forgot you didn't know. I meant Princess Celestia, the one in Equestria, not here. She used to be my mentor, before I spat in her face and ditched her for a human ghetto, anyway."

Trixie gaped. "Your Celestia was a princess?"

"In name. Technically an actual monarch, though she doesn't have absolute power. Her, Luna, Twilight, and Cadance too."

Trixie smirked, and Sunset very much did not like the look in her eye. "You'll have to show Trixie around some time."

"Absolutely not."

"Whatever you say, Shimmer! Trixie will see these pony princesses for herself. You cannot stop her! Like, physically, you can't. Not as long as you're over there and I'm over here." She grinned.

"Back to the point! I did wrong by a lot of people here, but I also worked my ass off to show how much I'd changed. I never did that on the other side, and I didn't realize it until recently. That's why I have to go back. I have to make things right. They deserve it as much as anyone. In some cases..." She paused, tensed, swallowed. Her knuckles turned white as the statue, nails bending against the unyielding stone. "In some cases, they deserve more. More than I could ever give them."

Ragged breaths came in, and out.

A hand touched her bare shoulder. She turned, and Trixie squeezed.

There showed no mischief in her smile - only kindness and understanding. She stepped back, placed her hands in her hoodie pocket, and nodded. "Thank you for telling me. I hope it goes well for you, Shimmer. And if you ever need someone to talk to, I'll be here. Or there." She winked, grinning. "You never know."

Despite herself, Sunset smiled back. "I'll keep it in mind."

As Trixie's footsteps faded into the distance, Sunset returned to the statue.

"Now or never," she whispered.

She took in the smell of Earth one last time...

...and entered.


To the sight of crystal walls blue and purple, Sunset opened her eyes.

The room was not an unfamiliar one, though she'd seen it but a hooful of times.

Two voices exclaimed in unison. "Sunset!"

"Hey guys." Twilight and Starlight got up from their seets to greet her. Embarrassed, Sunset rubbed the back of her head. "Jeez, did I make you guys wait that long?"

Starlight wavered a hoof in the universal gesture of 'so-so'.

"It wasn't that bad," Twilight said. "We were thinking of going through the portal ourselves before too long though."

Sunset was glad they hadn't.

Starlight rolled her eyes. "Oh come on, Twilight. You were totally freaking out." She glanced Sunset's way, grinning. "She was like, 'Oh no, what if Sunset got hit by a car on her motorcycle?' or 'Oh Starlight, what if somepony mugged her!'"

"I was not!"

"Totally were."

"Well," Sunset interrupted. "I'm here now. Sorry about any worry I might've caused. Something held me up before I could go into the portal."

"Oh?" Twilight inclined her head.

"Nothing much, just a friend saying goodbye to me before I left."

Starlight raised a brow. "Which one? I thought you already said bye to all your friends."

"Nah. There's me and 'the girls', obviously, but I have a couple other friends from CHS who aren't part of the main group. Wallflower Blush and Trixie Lulamoon."

"Oh neat," Starlight snickered. "Looks like both your students ended up being friends with a Trixie, Twilight. Wonder what that says about you."

She jabbed Twilight's side with an elbow. The grimace on the alicorn's snout could have killed Canterlot Castle's gardens.

"Hey," Sunset rebuked. "I'm not anypony's student."

"Okay okay, fine, one of her 'projects', then."

Sunset gave an equine snort, stamping her hoof. "I'm not a project either. She just gave me a second chance and I took it from there myself. She helped us beat back the sirens but that was it."

"Uh huh, totally. You acting so defensive is doing your argument lots of favors."

Sunset glared with the power of a thousand spells.

Behind a lavender wing, Twilight stifled her laughter. "Don't mind her, Sunset. She gets her... tendencies from Trixie. Our Trixie, for the record. But now that the introductions are out of the way, what's that?"

Sunset's eyes followed to where Twilight was pointing. In the teal aura of her magic, she held her jacket. "Oh, huh. I didn't expect that to work."

"Didn't expect what to work?"

"Okay, so." Twirling the jacket around, Sunset began her explanation. "You know how we get clothes when we cross over to the human world, but then, when we cross back over, it disappears? Well, okay, besides that one time when me and the gang dropped into Equestria, and Twilight kept her glasses for some weird reason but not her scrunchie, but that's beside the point. I sorta had this... instinct, and I decided to go through after taking the jacket off, and carried it under my arm instead."

Sunset stood on her hindlegs and pulled the jacket onto herself, then fell back to all fours. Smirking, she tugged at the lapelle, puffing out her chest. "So I guess now I get to wear my jacket around Equestria, too."

"I, for one, think it looks great," said Starlight. "In fact."

Sunset and Twilight gave her a curious look. Then, she leapt forward and entered the portal. Its surface rippled briefly before falling still.

Twilight balked. "What in Celestia's name is she doing?"

"Tartarus if I know. She's your student, not mine."

They needn't wait long for an answer. Starlight stepped through a moment later. Around her floated a star-speckled beanie, teal top, sleeveless jacket, and wrist watch. She donned each of them before beaming.

Sunset grinned back, and offered a hoofbump. Starlight accepted it with a resounding 'clop!'.

Twilight's eye twitched. "Now that we're done messing around - and I hope to Faust this doesn't cause some kind of magical backlash - let's get down to more important matters."

'"Twilight Twilight Twilight," Starlight scolded, shaking her head. "What could be more important than looking good. Imagine what Rarity might say at your so flagrant disregard of fashion."

"You said it, sister." Then, pausing, Sunset deadpanned. "Wait a minute. If you came back with your shirt and your jacket..."

The devious grin on Starlight's face was all either of them needed to see.

Twilight buried her face in a hoof. "You two are unbearable."

Despite the statement, she couldn't hide her own amused smile.

Sunset turned towards her. "Important matters, you were saying."

"Right! There's so much for you to do while you're here. I'll get to show you around the town, have you meet all my friends - I've told them a lot about you, by the way. Oh oh oh! There's this one amazing hay burger joint just a quick trot from the castle and if we go there for breakfast now you get an egg on the burger for free and-"

Sunset held up a hoof. "Twilight."

Twilight had the courtesy to blush. "Sorry, I can get a bit rambley sometimes."

"What she means to say is she can get a bit Twilighty."

Sunset smiled, bowling past Starlight's comment. "You're fine. That's not really the issue, though. As much as I'd love to do all those things, I can't. I wanted to get here early in the morning for a reason. I need to go to Canterlot."

"Canterlot? Why? Has something gone wrong again?"

Sunset frowned. Trixie she felt more comfortable telling because of the separation. With Twilight, she knew the moment she sniffed out anything resembling a friendship problem she'd soon have her pretty purple feathers all over it.

That Sunset did not want. Hers was a path she needed to travel by her own volition.

"Not exactly. It's personal, and I'd rather not get into the nitty gritty."

Twilight nodded, but the disappointment showed clear on her face. Whether that was because her hopes and plans for the vacation had just been ruined, or she'd seen a potential mystery snatched from her hooves, Sunset couldn't say.

"There are two best ways of getting to Canterlot. Which one you prefer depends on what you're looking for. The first and fastest is by pegasus-drawn chariot, but we'd have to wait here while I send the missive, wait for a reply, and then for the chariot to arrive. The train will take more time, but we can get going now, and it's far more comfortable. It's also the more scenic route. The view from the chariot isn't bad either, but that depends on how cloudy the day ends up being."

"I'll take the train, thanks. I'd like to get moving as soon as possible."

"Great! Since you're heading to Canterlot, will you be needing bits for anything?"

"I was hoping Celestia'd have a place in the castle open. Beyond that I didn't intend on spending much, but money never hurts."

Twilight nodded, and in she zapped a purse full of - presumably - bits. Oddly, it made no sound as Twilight levitated it over to Sunset.

"Bag of holding enchantment. It's also specially locked so only certain magical signatures can access it. Here, let me get your matrix encoded..." Twilight concentrated, furrowing her brows and chewing her lip. "There! Try opening it now?"

Sunset did so, then closed it up again.

"That should be everything, then. I suggest we get a move on before the train arrives."

Sunset nodded, before bumping Starlight's flank with her own. "You're coming with," she said. "Us bad girls gotta stick together."


The walk to Ponyville's Central Station was a short one. For Sunset, who'd become accustomed to the urban sprawl of Earth's Canterlot City, it was practically a jog.

This early in the morning, few souls graced the boarding area. Several benches lay unoccupied, but Sunset and the others took their seat on one.

"I can't get over how small your town is. It's like," Sunset gestured with both hooves, bumping them together. "Teeny."

"Yeah," Twilight agreed. "When Celestia sent me here, I'm not going to lie. There was a part of me that wondered why the Princess of Equestria would send her number one pupil to some random nowhere village in the boonies. It took me a while to adjust, but obviously I learned to love it and I couldn't be happier. It's nice, being able to walk around town, get some groceries, and recognize every single pony you see even if you've never actually spoken to them directly."

"I get that. Makes me curious though what the dimensions of Ponyville are. That was like what, a thirty minute walk?"

"Twenty," said Starlight, tapping her watch. "So about a mile."

"Yeah. Canterlot City is like, eight by nine. The distance we just walked is the time it takes me to visit my favorite coffee shop."

Twilight squeed. "You like coffee?"

"No."

Twilight's wings drooped.

"Heh, sorry to disappoint. No, I'm more of a tea mare myself."

"Hot or cold?" asked Starlight.

"Cold, definitely cold. But I'll tell you what, a mug of steaming green tea with honey first thing in the morning is... mmmm."

Both nodded in agreement.

The roaring chug of a train approached seconds later.

"Aw damn, I just realized I don't have any ID with me."

Twilight quirked her head. "ID? Why would you need an ID to get on a train?"

"Oh. Heh heh... Maybe I've spent a little too much time on Earth. You need an ID for basically everything there."

As the train pulled in, the conductor's ringing voice ended their discussion. "All aboard for Canterlot!"

"Convenient," Sunset muttered.

Twilight shook her head. "Not convenient, just scheduled. The Ponyville Express doesn't go to many places besides Canterlot. Now come on."

She gestured with her wing. Sunset followed behind with Starlight, and in little time they found themselves situated in the train, by the window.

Sunset marveled at how well kept it was. The seats alone were far more comfortable than they had any right to be, soft and plush. If Sunset were feeling tired, she could easily have pictured herself falling asleep on their expansive surface.

There was also the train's exterior. She hadn't registered it as it arrived, but now her mind turned towards its cute, funny design. It had been made to look like a gingerbread train, if she could find any word to describe it - brown walls, pink tops, swirly white decorations that resembled frosting.

She liked it.

More accurately, she'd forgotten how much she missed things like this. Earth was comparitively drab - no magic, no fantasy. While that and the technology it held was fascinating when she'd first arrived, now that she'd lived there for a while..?

Suffice it to say, Sunset forgot how much she missed Equestria.

Perhaps things were different in other, more 'serious' locations like Manehattan and Fillydelphia. She was surprised she even remembered those names. It had been so long.

"You good, Sunset?"

"Huh?"

Turning from the outside view, she blinked at Starlight. "Yeah, I'm fine. It's just been a very long time, ya know? I'm going to be back in Equestria for an entire month." Her eyes returned to their previous interest - the thatch roofs and rough paths of the town beyond.

"What's the longest you've been back to Equestria before?"

"Uhm..." Sunset thought. As she did, as Celestia's gleaming golden Sun inched higher into the brightening blue, she recognized a once common sight she'd not seen in years.

A pegasus, with gray coat and blonde mane, flew with an overstuffed saddlebag over her shoulder. She wore a brown cap and uniform, denoting her as a mailmare. She seemed familiar, and Sunset swore she knew a similar looking girl from CHS.

Shaking her head, Sunset answered. "A day, I think. Not even. That was when this girl - good friend of mine now - Wallflower, tried erasing everyone's good memories of me. I came to Equestria because Twilight wasn't affected, and we looked in the Canterlot Archives to figure out what was causing it."

"Woah woah woah, what? Someone tried erasing memories? And you say this girl is your friend now?"

"Yeah. She was... obviously misguided, to say the very least, but I can't blame her. As far as she was concerned I was still the same awful bully I'd been at the beginning of the year, considering that was the same year I turned into a literal, actual demon. Tch," she snorted. "What a stupid plan. If I crossed through with my teenage zombie army I'm sure Celestia would have turned me into ash."

She jolted as the train lurched. Chugging into gear, the outside view moved leftwards, picking up speed by the second.

"I don't think she would have done that," said Twilight. "She cared about you. Cares, I should say. She would probably have found some way to stop you without hurting you, and freed you like me and my friends freed her sister."

"You're probably right."

Twilight laid a wing on Sunset's back. Her shoulders tensed.

"Are you sure you're okay, Sunset?"

Sunset laughed. "Honestly? No. I'm nervous. Scared, actually. Not sure why, though. I think I just have the jitters is all."

Twilight nodded, pulling back her wing. She smiled, pointing to the window and said, "On the bright side, you have the view to look forward to."

"Speaking of which. When will we be arriving in Canterlot?"

"Mid-afternoon. Do we need to be there at a specific time?"

"No, just curious."

Silence fell as the train gained steam, and the world beyond passed by faster.

Sunset watched with fixed attention. The sights were not exactly what anyone could call 'unique'. Such landscapes - the rolling green hills, occasional trees, fields of wheat or barley - could be found plenty in the human realm. There was even a similar area not far from Canterlot City itself - Sweet Apple Acres - not to mention Camp Everfree and its surrounding pine woods.

But this wasn't the human realm. This was Equestria. This was the land she'd been born in.

And the land she'd left behind.

The closer to the mountain, the more fields and pastures gave way to rougher terrain. Rocks of increasing size and frequency broke the patches of grass, which themselves grew smaller and sparser. After a few hours, throughout which she and her companions engaged in conversation, only stone marked the landscape, capped by the occasional snowdrift or barren hedge.

"And would you believe it, the nerve of this chick? Like, holy Tartarus, dude. One spilled drink, and she goes full Equestrian magic demon on the whole restaurant!"

"Sounds to me like you guys deal with a lot more threats than you give yourselves credit for," Twilight said.

"Eh, I guess. But at the same time, our threats are generally at the local level. You fought a mountain-sized centaur with lasers who, himself, shot beams of fire that vaporized entire acres of forest. We've never faced anything close to that."

"Don't forget me!" added Starlight. "I basically brainwashed an entire town - though admittedly a town half the size of Ponyville, if that - and stole everypony's cutie marks. Then, in a fit of jealous rage at being defeated, went back in time and borked the continuum so hard the future we wound up in was a blasted ashen hellscape."

"You sound... strangely proud of that fact."

"Come on, you're telling me you wouldn't? Nopony in the entire history of Equestria managed to accomplish anything close to that."

Sunset snorted. "Okay, fair. It is pretty impressive."

"I'd be willing to bet," Twilight pondered. "Were I not an alicorn, this train carriage would be home to the three most powerful unicorns in the nation."

They laughed.

"Doubt it though," said Sunset. "It's been years since I've done any real magic. Manipulation and teleportation is one thing. Spells and incantations are another."

Sunset's mind turned towards the geodes she and her friends had back at home. She tried not to, acknowledging hers was as special as the rest, but the fact Twilight's powers so closely matched the ones she used to wield made her jealous.

"Maybe you could try practicing?" Starlight suggested. "See how rusty or not rusty your skills have gotten. You were Celestia's prized student at one point, I can't imagine it'd be hard to re-learn."

"Maybe. But I'm also not exactly sure what the point would be in that. I have every intention of staying on Earth. It's where my job is, my own place, all my best friends-"

Starlight placed a hoof to her heart. "Sunset. You wound me."

Sunset smirked, rolling her eyes. "You know what I mean, stupid."

"Now arriving at Canterlot Eastern Station. Next stop - the Crystal Empire."

"Time to go," said Twilight, climbing down from her seat.

Stepping off the train, they were treated to a vastly different climate than the one in Ponyville. Starlight shivered between them, but she and Twilight breathed in with large smiles, reminiscing.

"Ahhh. Crisp Mount Canter air. How I missed you."

"No kidding!" Twilight laughed. "Be glad you don't have to experience Ponyville summers."

Starlight shivered. "Y-you two are are insane. I'm just glad the palace has air conditioning."

"Air conditioning?" asked Sunset.

"Yeah, you know - air conditioning spells. To moderate the temperature?"

"Oh, right. Definitely didn't forget about those being a thing that exist."

Sunset fell quiet as they began to walk, prefering to take in the sights of her old city.

Canterlot's train station was significantly larger than Ponyville's, despite being an eastern side entrance. She noted multiple trains coming and going, vast pastel throngs of ponies and other creatures clamoring to get on or off. Things had become more multicultural since her departure, it seemed. While the area she'd grown up in had always been more welcoming to non-ponies, that grace had evidently extended beyond.

Up ahead, the skyline rose high, piercing through the clouds. Canterlot, beyond having been built onto the side of Equestria's second tallest mountain, was not a normal city.

According to history class, it began as a rich trading settlement. Unicorns and other ponies of marked power moved their fortunes up into the mountain, where they could hoard and protect them from the common masses. The symbolism of the location was obvious. It provided those of means and influence a throne to look down upon the rest of society, those they saw as lesser.

Things had changed since then, though not by much.

After the destruction of Equestria's first capital, now claimed by the Everfree Forest, Princess Celestia relocated her ponies to the town. Those already present kicked up quite the fuss at the influx of commoners, but in those days Celestia's rule was absolute. For every noble that left, three more from other cities would take their place, and Celestia made certain such creeping biases did not worm their way into the city's heart like in the past.

From there, with little space to spread out, it grew upwards. Generations passed, and the city divided itself into four distinct tiers.

The first and lowest was Old Canterlot, where the original settlement was founded. Where coin-clinking merchants, finely dressed noblemares, and influential bankers once rubbed flanks, the poorest and downtrodden of Equestria gathered. The streets were narrow, everything built from rough, worn stone and bricks. It was also where the thestrals called home, looked down upon or shunned by others. Any in that area who had wealth remained for reasons of heritage, nothing more.

The tier above developed into a place for the middle class. It was the largest of the tiers, and correlatively the most populous. Most businesses, restaurants, and shops could be found there.

The third had been claimed by the upper crust. Here, many ancestors of the original settlers, or those younger upstarts who found themselves swimming in great coinage, lived. Whatever space wasn't taken up by massive mansions and vacation homes was occupied by gardens, museums, and galleries. They said the streets were paved with jewels, but in reality, they were simply colorful stones, as Sunset had once seen.

Last and smallest was the Royal tier, exclusively constructed for Princess Celestia and those who surrounded her. It was also the location of the Equestrian military and the Royal Guard's barracks.

Sunset grew up in the first tier.

When she was younger, she thought she'd die in the first tier.

Today she would see none of those levels but the fourth. Twilight guided her and Starlight through the city, taking shortcuts and vast white marble staircases winding and curling up higher and higher. Soon, the spiraling towers of ivory, gold, and lavender stones were beneath them, stabbing up sharp as needles, opulent as the crown's royal coffers.

They stopped. Before them stretched a fortified wall and latticed gate, flanked by two spear-wielding guardsponies. At the sight of Twilight Sparkle they uncrossed their weapons and drew up the portcullis.

Once through, they entered the main castle grounds. The familiarity of them haunted her. While she might not have called the time she spent here the absolute darkest point in her life, it was without question one of the darker.

Before she could dwell on her past, they reached the palace. Guards were stationed at every corner. Velvet carpets stretched from end to end, while marble polished to reflection shone everywhere else. This too was familiar - the stained glass depictions of Twilight and her friends' feats less so.

Twilight led the way. Pushing past two grand oaken doors, their timing proved impeccable. Journalists, politicians, aides, and spectators trickled out the main entrance, signalling an end to Day Court.

Celestia herself put quill to parchment. Her secretary, a mare named Raven Inkwell that Sunset recognized from fillyhood, stood beside her.

Twilight cleared her throat and announced, "Princess Celestia."

The alicorn's gentle gaze flicked upwards. At the sound of the voice, she smiled.

Her eyes widened when she noticed Sunset.

"What a lovely and unexpected surprise. Raven? Take this letter to my chambers. I'll finish it later."

"Of course, Your Grace." Raven bowed, and left them.

Glowing, Celestia stepped down from her seat at the podium. It was one of the few times Sunset had seen her there. She'd never been allowed to attend court or government sessions back in the day, thanks to her combative nature, and unkindly opinions of parliament's population.

Tall and majestic, Celestia fanned her dove-like wings, and pulled her and Twilight into a warm embrace.

"Hey, what about me?"

Celestia released them, turning to Starlight and bowed. "Of course, I did not forget you, Starlight Glimmer. But surely you must understand my former students are the most precious to me. Sunset in particular I so very rarely get the opportunity to meet."

"Of course. Just teasing, Princess."

Celestia's attention then fell upon Sunset.

"Sunset Shimmer," she said. "How long has it been?"

"About a year, I think. I..." She swallowed, forcing down the sudden lump in her throat. "Thank you."

"What ever for?"

She rubbed her fetlocks. "For attending my graduation, you and Twilight. It's difficult to express how much that meant to me, I'm sorry."

"Do not feel any obligation to apologize, or for gratitude, my dear Sunset." Her voice flowed gentle like silk, feathers touching and lifting Sunset's chin. "After what you have been through, after what you have become, it would have been unthinkable for me not to attend. In the absence of my guidance, you deserved that much, at least."

"Right." Sunset flushed. "In any case, I'm returning here for a month. I was wondering if I might be able to stay in the palace in that time."

"You lived here once, and you may do so again. Is there a particular reason that has drawn you home, might I ask? You have never returned for such an extensive length."

"Personal reasons. Without going into detail, there are ponies I'd like to make amends with."

Celestia nodded. In her eyes shone the light of understanding.

She knew.

"If that is what you deem best."

"It is, Princess."

"Well then." Her chin rose. "You three are my guests, and though it is only the afternoon eventide is not far. If you would like, we shall dine early."

All three of their stomachs roared.

Twilight averted her gaze, abashed, and nodded. "We haven't eaten anything since this morning."

Wonderful! Ahem, not that you're hungry, of course, simply that this works out rather perfectly. Follow me, now."

They did so, and shortly found themselves in a dining hall.

The room wasn't large, certainly not for a grand palace such as this. Sunset knew the reason why, however. It was not the main banquet hall, but the one Celestia chose to eat in with close company, or alone. On some occasions, she had come here to sup, lunch, or break fast with the Princess herself.

They took their seats, and Celestia summoned one of her chefs. She told him to cook whatever he liked, before turning to each of them and asking if there was a particular dish they might like served.

Twilight put in for a simple daisy sandwich. From personal experience, Sunset knew that Celestia's royal chefs didn't really do 'simple', but they would if requested.

The chef's feelings on the matter showed plain on his face, but he bowed and wrote it down with respect.

Neither Sunset nor Starlight thought up of much. They had agreed they were happy to gobble just about anything at that point, and being surprised was more fun anyway.

While they waited, the four of them conversed. Celestia was of course curious how Sunset and her friends were doing. She explained they were well, about the party, and the drunk shenanigans they had gotten up to. Twilight and Celestia both appeared particularly curious as Sunset described Twilight's alternate self from the human world.

Partway through Sunset explaining her job as a sushi bar waitress, the first entrees arrived. Starlight ate first without so much as a second thought, chowing down on nut-filled lettuce cups sauteed in soy sauce.

The overall dinner spread was sizeable, though reasonably fit for their party. There came mushrooms and peppers steamed in garlicy lemon butter, hay bacon carbonara sprinkled with thyme and basil, savory potato carrot pie, a spicy bean stew, fried hay balls smothered in melty cheese, and fruit-topped crème brulée with red velvet cake for dessert.

Sunset was glad for the change of pace, a far cry from the ultra-processed food of the human world.

They had come in starving, and by the time they left their bellies were fat. If Sunset were on Earth, she'd have let her belt loose.

In the red-gold light of early evening, Celestia led them through the various hallways. Sunset walked along her side, Starlight to her right, and Twilight at Celestia's left.

"These shall be your chambers for the month," she said, halting at a double door. Throwing it open with her magic, she revealed the room.

Its walls were flush with paintings, flowers, lanterns, and other decor. At the far right end was a wardrobe, next to it a writing desk with candles and all the materials required for writing. Towards the left was an open balcony overlooking a steep cliffside, a lush valley of green grass and blue deltas spanning the horizon.

Near that was one bed, and some distance away a second. Between them was a shared dresser, complete with lamp and various books.

It put into perspective how low Sunset had fallen. This room could beat a five star hotel, let alone her cramped, crumby apartment.

"Thank you, Princess. I appreciate this very much."

"Think nothing of it. Now," she yawned, putting a hoof to her mouth. "I have a few last things which need attending to, and sleep will come shortly. I have to wake up very early after all." She winked.

Twilight concurred. "Honestly, I should get going too. There's supposed to be a meeting tomorrow for the reconstruction of Golden Oaks Library, and I'll need all the rest I can get if I want to organize the team."

Sunset nodded. "I wish you the best of luck."

"Starlight?" Twilight asked. "Will you be coming with me?"

Starlight paused, then answered, "No, actually. I'll stay here I think. If that's okay with you, Sunset? Living by yourself for a month sounds pretty miserable."

Sunset laughed. "I've lived on my own for a lot longer than one month, but sure. Company's not terrible."

In truth, Sunset had wanted to say no. But she didn't.

Why?

Starlight smiled, Twilight nodded, and Celestia seemed unbothered by the development.

It was too late for Sunset to change her mind. If she said no now, there would be questions - ones she did not want to answer, or would not be able to.

Twilight said her goodbyes, pulled her into a hug, and left with Celestia.

"So," Starlight drawled. "Any fun plans for the night?"

"Not really," said Sunset, turning inside. Her horn glowed, and she brought the array of books before her, reading each title. She selected the one that read 'Equestria at War: History of the North March'. "I'll read, go to bed, and start looking around tomorrow morning."

"Look around for what?"

"Somepony," she said.

"Come oooooon, Sunset. Somepony who? What are you really here for? You're being crazy evasive."

"Can ponies just stop fucking asking already? I'm getting really sick of it!"

Cursing, she slammed the books down on the floor. Quiet ate the space between them until, panting, Sunset came down from her high.

"Sorry, I'll quit asking."

Sunset sighed. The embers of her initial burst of rage went cold, leaving her embarrassed and ashamed. One by one, she plucked each tossed cover from the ground and slid them back into place.

"No, it's fine. I'm sorry for getting angry. It's just... very personal, okay? Some stuff from my past, loose ends I want to tie up." She breathed in. "Things I broke I'm hoping I can fix."

"I think I understand what you mean. I-" She chewed on her lower lip, pointedly avoiding Sunset's gaze. "I think I actually understand completely."

Sunset nodded.

Wordless, she slipped under the covers, opened the book, and read.