• Published 15th Jun 2023
  • 515 Views, 15 Comments

Cooling Embers - Incandesca



Turning the next page in her life, Sunset realizes that in order to move forward, she must go backward. To ensure a bright future, she must face her dark past, no matter how ugly its face. Yet demons thought forgotten are not so easily buried.

  • ...
1
 15
 515

Chapter 1: How the Sun Rises

Graduation.

Like stones caught in a river, the word tumbled in Sunset's mind. Graduation. Graduation. She was at graduation.

It was difficult to believe. Could she be so certain it was the truth?

Perhaps she was still trapped in her demonic form, and everything that followed had been a fantasy to placate her.

Or she met her fate at the Fall Formal, and this was all the fevered imaginings of a dying girl, soon to reach an abrupt and ignominious end.

Waiting in the hall to receive her cap and gown, Sunset Shimmer wished she was at CHS proper instead of this strange, unknown auditorium. The unfamiliar surroundings did her nerves no favors.

"Hey, Trixie?"

"Mmmyeeees, Shimmer?"

"Can you pinch me?"

"Gladly!"

The wannabe girl magician - one of the unlikelier friends Sunset made at CHS - spun on her heel...

...and pinched her arm with enough force to leave a bruise.

"Yow!"

Sunset jerked her arm away, cradling it to her chest. "Shining Sun above, Trix. Did you have to do it that hard?"

"Listen, Shimmer. The Great and Powerful Trixie might be lacking for wits, but I am not. I can tell when you're thinking stupid things. Were you thinking stupid things, Sunset?"

"Nnnooo?"

"Knew it!" Trixie's face fell from smug to sympathetic. "Speaking as your friend, I understand your worries. Trixie admits she isn't the brightest tool in the breadbox and is deathly afraid of college. Trixie can't survive college, Shimmer. She. Cannot. Survive!"

With each final word, she yanked on Sunset's arm for punctuation.

Sunset let her. One of the first things to go becoming friends with Trixie was the concept of boundaries.

"I'm sure you'll be fine, Trixie."

The voice, high and bookish, came from her right. Above the top of a gadget she didn't recall, Twilight peered upwards.

Sunset always thought those glasses were cute. Some day, she'd convince Twilight's Equestrian counterpart to wear them, too.

"Ha, ha. Easy for you to say, little Miss Sparkle. You're the smartest girl in this school!"

"T-technically." Twilight flushed, re-averting her gaze. "After rigorous examination, I've tested down to the point one percentile for the country."

Trixie scoffed. "My point exactly. Trixie isn't in the point one percentile for anything!" She looked away, fluffing her straight silver hair. "Except perhaps for most beautiful and perfect."

Twilight adjusted her glasses. "Well, whether that's true or not, I think you underestimate your intelligence. You might struggle academically, but speaking as someone who is very intelligent in that area and not so much in others, emotional, social, and creative intelligence are highly valued skills. Maybe you could be a therapist?"

That caught Trixie off guard. Stunned silent, it seemed for once someone managed to spur those great and powerful gears to grinding.

"You... may have a point." She smiled. "Thank you, Twilight."

"And Sunset?"

Sunset looked over. "Hm?"

The smallest of smiles played at Twilight's lips. She placed the device in her pocket, and squeezed her

"You'll be fine. You always are."

Sunset pretended to smile. She felt a pang in her heart.

Her past experience paid off. Twilight withdrew, believing she helped.

'Let her believe,' Sunset thought. No point worrying anyone any more than she had to.

She still hated it. Telling a lie.

Even a white one. Especially to a friend.

But they'd never understand. Could never even begin to.

This wasn't about what she'd do post-graduation. That was simple. She was smart, if not to the same genius extent as Twilight. She'd fly through university with the same ease at which she'd breezed through high school.

"Thanks, Twi," she said. The lie came so easy.

"Students of Canterlot High!"

The hall's attention snapped to the left. While Principal Celestia did not wield the same power and respect as her Equestrian counterpart, hers commanded presence when she so chose.

To her right stood Vice Principal Luna. Between them, they held gravid stacks of caps and gowns.

"It's good to see I can still call your attention!" Celestia winked. "These are your official ceremonial clothes. Each is marked with your name on the back, so if you receive one that is incorrect please alert either myself or Luna."

Luna straightened. "Lastly, if you have any trouble putting them on, seek assistance from the person beside you or a nearby teacher."

The two began down the line. Starting towards the head, Sunset and the rest had plenty of time to continue their conversation.

They did not.

Passing of the gowns meant only one thing.

The ceremony was close.

Closer than she'd prefer. Sunset imagined her friends shared that same faint unease. The sort that nestled in her gut, telling her to be afraid, despite not knowing what to actually be afraid of.

Maybe it was just her.

After a few minutes, they received the garments. Sunset and Twilight had no issues putting on theirs. Trixie... Trixie needed some help.

"Oh, and one more thing!" said Luna. "Keep your tassels to the right of your cap, and the point of it facing forwards."

Several students made the requisite adjustments. Trixie included.

"At the ceremony, you will be told when to move your tassels. That is all!"

Looking to her friends beside, Trixie grinned, pinched and lifted the sides of her gown. "Trixie thinks this must look lovely on her, wouldn't you agree?"

Sunset nodded. The gown's fine white silks complimented the beaten silver of Trixie's hair rather well. Granted, Sunset struggled to picture anyone that white wouldn't look good on.

Now, they waited.

The ceremony couldn't come soon enough, nor could Sunset want it any further away. Minutes shrank to seconds, and seconds stretched to minutes as though to mock the very concept of time.

When at last Celestia announced the ceremony would begin shortly, it was as though a great weight lifted from Sunset's back. She breathed a sigh of relief, and at the same time dug her nails into her palms hard enough it hurt.

The line shuffled forward, single file. To the sound of graduation music, they entered a vast auditorium, and each found their place on the stage. Side by side, one row would form, and when no more could squeeze in another formed behind them.

Sunset took her place two rows back, between Trixie and Twilight. Mixed into the line-up ahead was Rarity, Pinkie, and Wallflower. She had been at the line's front, and so she would be the first called to speak.

Ironic, Sunset thought. She imagined the girl must have slipped in early before anyone noticed.

As she took in the chamber, Sunset stared forwards, rather than upwards. While the stage was sizeable enough to fit several dozens, the seats above stretched on forever. More than large enough to make her feel small.

It had to be, to fit everyone's friends and family.

Outside school, Sunset had no friends. Not on Earth, at least.

And family? The one group of people that should have been there, bearing witness to this pivotal moment in her young life?

Sunset stiffened. She didn't want to think about it.

And so she stared forwards, rather than upwards.

Heels clicked on stage, and Celestia strode to the front alongside her sister. Beaming, she took her spot behind the standing microphone.

"Good afternoon everyone! It's so wonderful to see so many faces here today - parents, siblings, friends and family - here to witness your loved one's journey. It's incredible to think my sister and I, once upon a time, stood here in the same place as these students. Even more incredible, and fortunately blessed, to preside over this occasion for the eleventh year in a row. We've seen many young learners of all kinds, hailing from diverse backgrounds walk through the halls of Canterlot High, but I think this crop of students behind me may just be the most interesting I've ever had the honor to see."

Sunset tuned out. The sooner this was finished, the better.

Once it was done she could hop on her motorcycle, go home, and binge on way, way too much takeout.

That was an upside to independence. No guardians meant no one told her what she should and should not do, though it wasn't as if that ever accomplished anything in the past. Still, she appreciated the lack of resistance.

Following Celestia's spiel came Lunas. Much the same, it praised the graduating body and the history of CHS, though more cool and curt than Celestia had been. Yet Sunset noticed her slipping in the odd joke here and there, dry wit and snark-laden humor getting a positive reception from the crowd.

Here and there, she made veiled references to the magical happenings around the school. It was nothing explicit - only those who knew would twig onto the fact. Neither sister could afford such secrets running free.

Next, the students took their turns.

Luna revealed a paper. "Wallflower Blush," she read. "Head of the Gardening Club, self-described aspiring botanist, and voted Best Gardener two years running. Please take the stage."

The audience clapped. Luna moved aside, and swept an arm to usher the girl forth.

She stepped up to the mic, trembling, and suddenly Sunset found her fears a little less founded. Wallflower clutched a sheet in her pale green hand and mumbled something inaudible into the mic. Luna leaned in, whispered something in her ear, and Wallflower spoke again.

"H... hello. My name is Wallflower Blush, and I-" She swallowed. Glancing back she scanned the crowd, before hers and Sunset's gaze met. In her copper eyes, Sunset saw a pleading.

She smiled, giving a thumbs up.

Wallflower returned the smile, turning back towards the audience. With her chest puffed out and chin tipped high, she resumed.

"At first, when I came to Canterlot High, I was afraid. I thought I was too boring for anyone to notice or care about me. Someone special proved me wrong. Now I have a scholarship to Canterlot University, and more friends than I know what to do with." She paused. "One of those friends is a lot more special than the others, though, and she knows who she is. Thank you."

The audience erupted in cheers. Wallflower Blushed, stepping back, and Sunset couldn't have been more proud.

Most of the following students Sunset only knew on a basic level, but there were a few standouts.

Vinyl and Octavia for one. The duo had apparently been allowed to stand together, and Sunset understood why when Octavia read Vinyl's speech for her. Cherry Crash felt less highschool graduate and more raving rockstar. Ditzy meanwhile delivered a speech that brought many in the audience to tears.

Sunset could have predicted those of her friends. There was Rarity - proper, refined, and delivered with such eloquence you'd think she was reading Shakespeare. Pinkie, naturally, unfurled a list of everyone she knew, was friends with, or who had so much as made eye contact. About twenty names deep, Luna had to politely guide her back to the group.

Anyone with half a brain could imagine how Trixie's went.

All too soon, Sunset's time arrived.

Twilight reached out for a reassuring squeeze. Sunset pulled away before she got the chance.

Her stride portrayed more confidence than she felt. She wasn't worried about delivering the speech; she had practiced, memorized, and ingrained the words in her head for weeks. No, that wasn't the issue at all.

She had to look up.

"Hey," she began. Crisp. Smooth, straight to the point. "The name's Sunset Shimmer, though I doubt I need to tell anyone that. I've made quite the reputation for myself since I came to CHS."

Muted, short-lived laughter rippled through the crowd. More behind than around.

"That reputation didn't start out so great though." She paused, swallowed. The lines came easy. The desire to speak them, not so much. "I'll say it plain. I was kind of a jerk."

"That's putting it lightly."

Sunset didn't know who or where the comment came from. It was something quiet, something whispered just loud enough for her to hear - or so she thought. Rage flared in her eyes, before she snuffed it out quick as it came.

They weren't wrong.

She scanned the auditorium regardless. Curiosity gnawed at her to discover who it was. The search proved fruitless. There were simply too many people, too many suspects. Too many people she'd screwed over, or friends and family of those she had.

But as she scanned the crowd, a color stood out. A very familiar color.

Her gaze jerked back for a second look, eyes going wide.

Twilight.

It was Twilight, from Equestria. She was here. With Celestia too, although she'd put on makeup and changed her hair to better obscure her identity. But to Sunset, it was absolutely, unmistakeably her.

Her missing confidence returned. In fact, she struggled not to cry.

Beaming, she puffed out her chest and spoke from the heart. Screw the speech.

"I did horrible things and hurt a lot of people - so many I can't even remember them all. Those dark days will shame me til the day I die. But someone very special gave me a second chance, a second chance I'm still not sure I even deserved. And then other people too, people who are now my best friends in the world. Twilight Sparkle. Applejack. Rarity. Fluttershy. Pinkie Pie. Rainbow Dash. Trixie Lulamoon. Wallflower Blush. Every last one of you means more to me than I can say. Thank you. Thank you so much for being my friends. Thank you so much for your forgiveness. I can't imagine where I'd be without you, without this school, and I hope we'll stick together every step of the way into the future, whatever form it takes."

She bowed, stepping back in line.

Not everyone clapped, but most did.

It was more than she could have asked for.


"Can you guys freakin' believe it? We're finally done with high school!"

Pinkie's rapturous voice rang out to every corner of the parking lot. Some heads turned, those not acquainted with the girl's antics. Everyone else scarcely paid any mind.

Sunset and her friends gathered round. Everyone was bright eyes and cheery smiles.

Rainbow agreed. "F- I mean, heck yeah! I can't wait for the sick parties."

Sunset rolled her eyes. "You do know college isn't just about parties and drinking, right?"

"Not if I have anything to say about it!" Pinkie said, high-fiving Dash.

Twilight fiddled with her tassel. "She is correct, you know. University is arguably more important for your career prospects than high school."

Rainbow scoffed. "Please, guys. I'm not an idiot."

Twilight and Sunset exchanged glances. Pinkie arched an eyebrow.

"Okay, okay. Sheesh. Brutal. I'm not that much of an idiot, though. I'll be fine. I did graduate, after all, right?"

"I don't mean to rain on your parade, darling, but..." Rarity breathed through her teeth.

"Ya'll did only pass with a C."

"Hey, c'mon, C is average"

"Uh-huh. Just about tha lowest average ya'll coulda gotten."

"Yikes. Okay. Really busting my balls over here."

Rainbow slumped, defeated. Sunset walked over and clapped her on the shoulder. "Hey, don't get too down. It's just some tough love. Besides, I don't even think it's your smarts or lack thereof that's the problem."

"Just your discipline," finished Rarity.

"And yer work ethic. Er, lack thereof."

"And your attention span," Fluttershy mumbled.

"Y-yeah, well." Rainbow folded her arms, puffed out her cheeks. "Maybe things will be different this time around! I did pass with an A-plus in PE! I'd rather be an athlete than some dumb egghead anyway." She stuck out her tongue in Twilight's direction.

"Regardless," said Sunset. "We're all friends here. If anyone is going through a rough spot, no matter how bad it is, we help each other out. That's how we've gotten this far, and it's how we'll keep going. It's what friends do."

"Speaking of which, Sunny dear. What a marvelous speech you delivered back there. I'm not too prideful to say I might have shed a tear or two."

Everyone murmured agreement, even Trixie. Sunset couldn't stop the flames rising to her cheeks.

"Oh, and, uhm." Wallflower plucked her sweater sleeves. The moment they left the building, she'd swapped out of her gown. "Thank you, for giving me courage to deliver mine."

Sunset shrugged. "Don't mention it. It's nothing."

Fluttershy spoke up. "It's not nothing, Sunset. A little can go a long way, and you've been the glue that's kept us together this whole time. You shouldn't downplay that."

Sunset flushed darker.

At any other time, she'd bask in this sort of attention. Even after the change she'd gone through, Sunset loved nothing more than a good old-fashioned ego stroke.

Today, it didn't sit so well.

"Truly, Sunset is an inspiring light to us all," Trixie began.

Please, Trixie. Not you, too.

"But I believe you have forgotten the brightest star in the show. The peak of performance. The pinnacle of perfection! None other than the Grrreat and Powerful Trixie herself!"

As if on cue, a burst of purple smoke, flecked with blue and gold glitter, exploded into being. When the cloud faded, Trixie was out of her gown, having substituted the garment for her magician's outfit - cape and hat included. Completing the smarmy picture were her other friends Fuschia Blush and Lavender Lace, holding their pose-striking leader on their shoulders.

The collective groan and eye-roll could be heard the next town over.

Sunset didn't join them.

Not when she and Trixie made eye contact.

Not when she saw her wink.

"Ah think we've gotten a mite bit off track here."

Pinkie nodded, bouncing on her heels. How her cap didn't fall off with all those jumping candyfloss curls, Sunset didn't know. She was half convinced the girl's hair had some sort of magical, or at least magnetic properties.

"Thank you, Applejack!! There was actually something really super duper ultra mega important I wanted to announce!"

A party.

Sunset knew everyone else shared the thought. For as chaotic a force as Pinkie Pie could be, she was rather predictable at times. No one in their right mind could thumb their nose at a Pinkie Pie party, though.

"Yupsies!"

How exactly she chose to announce her parties?

That was an entirely different story.

Leaping off her feet, Pinkie twirled in the air. She spun a short deck of cards in hand, and threw them one after the other.

"You get an invitation! And you get an invitation! And you get an invitation! Everyone gets an invitation!"

Most cards wound up smacking the girls in their face. Sunset, Rainbow, and Rarity all plucked theirs from the air with relative ease. Her thanks to her black belt, the others from athletics and fencing respectively.

Trixie, for her part, fell ass backwards.

Her friends shot to her side, helping her back to her feet.

So much for showing off.

"The party is tomorrow night, my place! We're gonna do," Pinkie's voice lowered to a dangerous whisper. "Underage drinkiiiiiiing."

She, along with Sunset, Rainbow, and AJ, all shared high-fives.

"Do we, uhm, have to drink?" asked Fluttershy.

Twilight stood beside her. "Yes, I would like to know as well. Alcohol can negatively affect the development of young brains such as ours if ingested in sufficient-"

Pinkie slapped a hand over her mouth. "Nope! But anyone who wants to can bring whatever they want! I've got totally free reign of the house for the whooooole weekend!"


Sunset thought she must look odd - and insane - to any passers-by.

Riding on her motorcycle, she wore nothing but a backpack, her black tank, hot pink pajama pants, and sneakers. She hadn't even bothered with a helmet, so her wild mane of hair whipped freely behind her like some trailing flame.

Anyone who knew her habits called it crazy, Rainbow Dash included.

It wasn't that Sunset lacked the proper wits. Of her friends, she was the smartest, only outshone by Twilight. And that girl was practically a prodigy.

Blegh, prodigy.

She hated the word; it tasted foul on her tongue. Prodigies didn't have to work for their talents. Prodigies didn't have to stay up night after night grinding themselves to the bone just for the chance at success.

She'd be lying if she said she didn't hold at least some resentment towards Twilight Sparkle - either of them. Despite it, she knew the feeling was irrational. Earth and Equestrian Twilights both worked hard to get to where they were.

Rationality, however, had never been her strongest virtue.

Perhaps she truly was a bit mad, then. But for her, the feeling of wind in her hair, against her face, her skin?

That was freedom. And freedom? That was sublime.

Besides, the distance between her place and Pinkie's wasn't far. She shouldn't have to face any trouble from a twenty or so minute drive through mostly suburbia. If she did somehow crash, she probably deserved it, and she'd have plenty time to regret her actions in the afterlife.

Several sprawling stretches of cookie-cutter, copy-paste homes and lawns later, she reached her destination. Pulling into the driveway, she hopped off and laid her motorcycle against the garage wall.

Instinct told her not to leave it out in the open, though she didn't have much of a choice. If someone did dare touch her baby, there'd be Tartarus to pay.

Coming up to the front, Sunset barely raised her fist to knock when the door flung open. Yanked inside with a yelp of surprise, she worried for a moment the weight on her back might send her toppling.

"Wooooah there, Sunny! Don't fall down on me already. Nobody's started drinking yet!"

Firm hands steadied her on her feet. Beaming wide as a Cheshire, Pinkiee bounced on her heels, dressed in an oversized tee and tight yellow shorts. Giggling, she helped shrug the pack off Sunset's shoulders, and placed it on a nearby dining room chair.

"Heh, thanks. Maybe we should get to fixing-"

Before she got the words out, Pinkie wrapped her up in one of her trademark bear hugs. Instantly, all the air fled her lungs in a deathly wheeze.

"That," she coughed, once Pinkie relented.

"Fix what?"

Sunset walked over and unzipped the pack. Pulling from it, she produced two bottles, one tequila, the other spiced rum. "Getting started on drinking, duh." She grinned, waggling the bottles for emphasis.

"Oh, heehee! Silly, we can't start drinking 'til everyone's here!"

Not in the parties she went to.

Pinkie took the bottles, setting them down upon a small wooden table by the wall. There were more drinks resting there, juices and sodas too for making cocktails.

From the selection, Sunset guessed who was already present. Cider, whiskey, and beer must have been Applejack. Vodka she thought might have been Rarity, but she was the type to arrive fashionably late, probably with wine and champagne in tow. That left either Rainbow Dash or Pinkie.

Assuming they drank at all, Sunset could absolutely see Pinkie's folks hitting the vodka. They seemed the type.

Last sat a pack of water bottles. She presumed Fluttershy. Though she hadn't likely known enough about alcohol to intend it, they would see good use should anyone get too hammered.

Glancing towards the living room, Sunset pat herself on the back.

In front of a flatscreen, cross-legged with controllers in hand, Rainbow and AJ were busy playing an all-too-familiar fighting game. Rainbow had brought a blue hoodie and nylon shorts, Applejack a plaid button-up and frayed jeans.

Said jeans had been a gift from Rarity. The first time she saw them, she remembered AJ saying 'Now wha'd ya'll go and do that for, rippin' up a perfectly nice pair of work pants?"

Sunset smiled, glad to see her wearing them. Not wholly because Sunset liked wearing ripped-up jeans herself.

Judging by the stern, angry looks on their faces and the rattling clack-a-clack of controllers, they were engaged in their usual bouts of heated competition.

Fluttershy sat knees to chest on a nearby beanbag, watching the two compete. A large cream blouse hung from her lithe frame, and baggy, pastel green pajama pants covered her legs, dotted with pink butterflies. Upon noticing Sunset's presence, she smiled and waved, wordlessly.

She waved back.

"So, Pinkie, what's the plan for tonight?"

"Weell, obviously we're still waiting for a few people, and those two are occupied." She pointed to Applejack and Rainbow.

"Huh, wha?" Dash turned her head. "Oh, hey."

She returned to playing, but the momentary distraction gave Applejack the window she needed. A furious flurry of punches and uppercuts sounded from the television, and Rainbow threw her hands in the air. "Aw man! Whatever, that character is totally OP. Doesn't even count." She huffed, crossing her arms.

Applejack chortled. "Ain't mah fault you got distracted. Anywho, heya Sunset. Ya'll bring anyone else with ya?"

"Nope, just me. And some booze. Got a few snacks too if anyone's interested."

AJ and Rainbow both stood, cracking their shoulders.

"I could go for some chips myself."

"An' one 'a those oatmeal cream pies, if'n ya got any."

"Specific. But you're in luck, because I actually do!"

Sunset returned to the bag and ruffled around, extracting a stomach-rumbling procession of crinkly bags and paper boxes. From left to right she spread them out - Cheetohs (the puffy kind), Cool Ranch Doritos, Sour Cream & Cheddar Ruffles, Southern Heat BBQ Lay's, oatmeal creme cookies, swiss rolls, and a package of Extra Stuf Oreos.

And, of course, oatmeal cream pies.

"Woah nelly. How'dja fit all that in that little pack there?"

"Very carefully. Anyway, take your pick!"

Quick as a whip, Rainbow zoomed forward and ripped open the Doritos.

Partway through shoving a handful into her maw, AJ shot her a look. With a lop-sided grin and avoiding her gaze, she reached over and deposited the chips onto a paper plate.

Pinkie giggled, turning to Sunset. "We have card games to play while we wait for everyone!"

Rainbow spoke with her mouth full, both cheeks bulging outwards. "Incluing Carsh Againsh Humaity."

"Yes! Also, movies, and tons of games! I know it's not anything super crazy and special, but I thought something like this deserved a more personal party. Speaking of which, Trixie-"

Sunset nodded. "Yeah, I saw."

The day before the party, Trixie sent a text that said she couldn't come, already had something planned between her and her friends. Sunset didn't blame her. She knew Fuschia and Lavender far longer than she'd known the others.

"Not coming, it's cool. What about Wally, though? I never saw her send confirmation."

"I've been here a while."

Sunset jumped out her skin. Turning around, Wallflower greeted her, standing in the hallway, wearing her usual jeans and sweater.

"Where were you?"

Wallflower blushed. "In the bathroom."

"Oh."

Sunset shuffled. Wallflower fiddled with her pockets.

A dainty, musical pattern knocked on the door. Eager for salvation, Sunset flung it wide open.

"Good evening, darlings!"

Rarity, ever the dramatic, strode in wearing what must have been the pinkest, fluffiest robe Sunset had ever laid her eyes upon. She'd applied her makeup to perfection, coiffed hair pinned into a stylish bun. On one shoulder she carried a fashionable lavender-colored handbag, from which emanated the sound of clinks and sloshing.

"My upmost apologies for the late arrival. Regardless of the occasion, a lady must always strive to look her best. Now where should I- oh!" Exclaiming, she walked to the table supporting the various drinks. As Sunset had figured, Rarity drew from her purse two bottles of wine - white and red, both vintage - and sparkling champagne. "Quite the collection we have here, and so many juices! Oh I can make you all just the most delicious of cocktails!"

Fluttershy raised a hand. "Uhm, I have a question. How did you all get so much alcohol when you're, uhm, underage? And will we get in trouble?"

"Stole it," Rainbow answered. "Nah, just kidding. I bribed the cashier."

"Fake ID. Don't worry though, I'm legal in Equestria." Sunset winked. "And as long as nobody blabs, we won't get in trouble."

"Ah took it from the farmhouse. We got plenty 'a cider stores this time 'a year, and Ma and Pa always used to keep the liquor cabinets stocked. Granny ain't much of a drinker herself, so she ain't gonna notice."

"I, similarly, must admit I've engaged in a pinch of rugged banditry myself."

Silence reigned.

"Whaaat? Don't give me that look, I did bring the alcohol did I not?" Rarity harumphed. "Really, you should count yourselves lucky I brought anything at all! Elicit activities like this are so below a woman of my pedigree."

Sunset grinned. "Whatever you say, Rara."

"So we're just waitin' fer Twilight now ah suppose. Wonder where that gal went off to."

Rarity nodded. "Yes, it is rather odd she has not joined us yet. Usually I'm the one who's fashionably late, and she the one pointedly on time."

"Twenty dollars says she's working on some sorta egghead thing."

"I'll take that bet!" Pinkie cheered. Her and Rainbow shook on it.

For close to an hour, the girls passed the time with games, chatting, and snacking.

AJ and Dash soon returned to their competition, while Sunset played Poker with Pinkie and Rarity;

Pinkie had suggested Strip Poker, but Rarity firmly opposed the idea. Fluttershy and Wallflower, meanwhile, talked about something Sunset didn't fully hear. The only words she consistently picked out from their conversation were 'flowers' and 'bees'.

Go figure.

They heard the knock at nine.

Eager to meet their missing comrade, Pinkie sprang to her feet with terrifying speed.

Twilight's glasses lay part askew on her nose. The scrunchie for her ponytail was loose, and her hair stuck out frazzled and split. Dark rings sagged beneath bloodshot eyes, and she wore a ripped, stained lab coat over her pajamas.

She had the biggest smile Sunset had ever seen.

"Hi girls! Sorry, I'm so late. I was..." She tapped her fingers together, head turned aside. "Working on something."

Sunset cocked a brow. "That being?"

"Remember the drone I made a couple years ago? Well, I've been... developing on that model in secret, and I managed to create hover technology. O-only on the low scale end of things. Also, generative intelligence. It started out as something to just assist me in my research, but I got a bit out of hand. Terabyte? Please come and introduce yourself."

A small, featureless steel orb hovered into the room. Beneath it shone magenta light, pulsing like a heartbeat.

"Greetings. My name is Terabyte. I am a generative predictive text algorithm developed by the young woman Twilight Sparkle. It is nice to meet her friends."

Smiling, Twilight offered it a pat. It 'nuzzled' into her hand with a mechanical whir.

Rainbow eyed the shiny object. "So it's some kind of AI? Twilight, you have watched Terminator, right? Are you trying to get us nuked by Skynet?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "That's just a movie. A good movie, admittedly, at least the first two. And for the record, this isn't Artificial Intelligence, it's Generative. It bases its responses on the information it's been fed, and comes up with the best approximation of how to respond. It won't be 'coming alive' any time soon."

Rainbow appeared no less unsure, but shrugged. "Whatever you say. But I get to say I told you so if it starts shooting lasers and asking for Brawn Copper'."

"That's not going to happen. Anyway, I just thought it would be fun to bring with me. It can interact almost like a person." She paused. "Almost. It doesn't always hit the mark."

"Can it share a drink?" Sunset asked.

"Uhm. Nnno."

"Damn. I've always wanted to share a beer with a robot."

"Have you?"

"No, not really, but don't tell me it wouldn't be cool."

Twilight shrugged.

"Nah, Sunny's totally got the right on this one!" Pinkie beamed, jabbing the disc with her elbow. "Let me know when you have drinking capabilities, hot stuff. Rrrreow!"

"Affirmative."

"That's what I'm talkin' about! And since we're all here, this party can really get started. Terabyte? Pop open the boooooze!"

Zipping to the drinks table, a multitude of three-pronged metal arms unfolded from the sphere, making quick work of the various bottles. "The taps shall flow."

After getting over the weirdness of Twilight's floating servitor, everyone put in requests. Apparently it could make cocktails, much to the disappointment of Rarity, but shit if it didn't make them fast. Fluttershy and Wallflower abstained, to Sunset's unsurprise. Rainbow needed some convincing before she trusted it to make hers.

Before long, they nursed their beverages in front of the TV.

Through discussion with Terabyte - or as they'd begun to call it, Tera - it suggested they watch the Terminator films - including those after Judgement Day. The girls provided plenty of commentary, tongues wagging thanks to a healthy dose of alcohol.

Sunset enjoyed the little disc's company. For however much lines of code could be, its personality amused her.

It particularly enjoyed pushing Rainbow's buttons. Whenever an opportunity rose in the movies for comments that implied higher motives, or simply to make fun of her, it took them.

The effect of Rainbow's shots made its job that much easier.

On screen, the t1000 emerged from the floor.

"How, hic. How'm I sposeda know you can't do some freaky shit like that? Or, or, or! What if you're poisoning my drink! Yeaaaahhh, I know what you're up to. Whaddya, think about that! Stupid ass dumb ass fuckin' ass robutt..."

It buzzed. "I suppose there is no way for you to know, is there?"

Rainbow Dash glared, muttering.

Sunset sat on the carpet floor with her legs splayed out, back slouched against the sofa's front. "So Twi. Between the first and second, which is your favorite?"

"The first, easily. It's more of a proper thriller instead of an action flick. A very good action flick, mind you, but an action flick nevertheless." She tipped back a sip of rum and Coke. It was a beginner's drink, but Twilight had admitted she'd never tried alcohol before.

"I-I'm preferring the second one, personally," Fluttershy mumbled. "T-the first one is kind of, uhm, scary."

"Exactly!" Pinkie agreed. "But the second one also has that nuclear holocaust scene. That was pretty scary too!"

"Y-yes, well. I didn't really like that either. I prefer romance and comedies."

AJ gagged. "Yuck."

"Aaaaagreed. Speagina whish, Pinkie." Rainbow leaned over, sloshing her drink. "Twenny bucks, you owe me, 'member?"

Sunset laughed. "In your state, Dash, I'm surprised you even remember something like that."

Pinkie giggled. "Oh yeah! Heehee, I don't actually have any money on me right now, sorry!"

"Maaan, das some bullshit. Whatever. I din'nt even want the money. Hic!"

Rarity cleared her throat. "I do believe our rainbow-haired compatriot has hit the drink harder than most. Perhaps someone should stop her before she, ahem." Rarity finger-quoted, "'Makes sick'."

"Wha? Nnn, fuck you Rarity. I'm fine, I can totally handle more. I'm fine, really. Seriously."

Sunset confirmed. "Yup, definitely had too much. Tera? Take her drink."

"Nooooooo!" Rainbow whined. She fumbled against the machine as it attempted to remove the glass from her hand, but she was too drunk to mount an effective defense. With a fierce tug, Tera yanked the screwdriver free and flew over to Sunset.

Rainbow, subsequently, fell on her face.

"Aheehee, floor feels funny."

"Thank youuuu~" Sunset sang, snatching the glass.

In one swig, she downed the entire beverage.

Whether because of the underage drinking she'd done when she was younger or the incongruities of being a displaced Equestrian, Sunset had a high tolerance for alcohol. It took her twice the usual amount to get drunk as any normal human.

As the night wore on, the drinks continued to flow. Rarity never raised herself above mildly tipsy, but Pinkie, Applejack, and Sunset were soon plastered.

Rainbow, after falling onto the floor, passed out and drooled.

On the cajoling of Sunset and Pinkie, Fluttershy and Wallflower acquiesced to trying a drink. Wallflower took sips from multiple varieties, and found none to her liking.

Fluttershy knocked down enough shots to numb a horse.

She slurred, throwing her cards against the floor. "Oh my fucking god. Fucking stupid ass bullshit! Why do I never win? Stupid fuckin', god damn assmonkey shitcarnival fuckin'..."

"Shhorry Flufferfluff. Guess you're just not good'nuff at the game, heeheehic!" Pinkie beamed stupidly, wavering against Fluttershy's side.

"Calm down guys, it's naw a competi- competish- uhm, contest, thingy. Thing. Or, uhhh." Sunset thought a moment. "Kay, ignore me, 'm dumb. It totally kinda is."

Two hours passed. Time and inebriation both took their toll on the party.

Pinkie lost the battle against sleep first, snoring loudly on Fluttershy's shoulder.

Fluttershy gave in next. Lying down the party girl on the floor, she flopped onto the couch and snoozed into unconsciousness.

Then Applejack turned in, followed by a tipsy Rarity.

Wallflower excused herself after, and at last Twilight could hold out no longer, yawning between her apologies to Sunset.

"Iss fiiiine, dun worry abouddit. 'M sure'll goda sleep soon too," she assured. Minutes after, Twilight lay curled up on the sofa. Tera shut itself down with her, leaving Sunset alone in the quiet aftermath.

Like dominos, she thought. One after the other, they fell, yet left her standing.

Taking a last quick trip to the bathroom, she shut off the lights. She glanced towards the living room to see everyone sleeping - save Rarity, who opted for taking one of the Pie sisters' beds.

Sunset got a strange sensation standing there, a tightness in her chest. It took a moment before she realized what she was feeling - melancholy - but she couldn't place why.

A breath of fresh air might do her good, she decided.

Tequila in hand, she zigzagged towards the door.

She expected a pleasant, quiet night. She expected the hum of crickets, the hoot of owls, the sounds of a light summer breeze.

She did not expect, stumbling onto the porch, to find Starlight and Twilight.

Squinting against the darkness, she scanned their confused faces. "Heeey, what're you doin' he- Hic! You guys doooo realize the party's, urp, over."

"Uh oh, Twilight. Looks like we got a drunk on our hands."

Yeaaahh, eheheh. Pnnkie like, got us the whooole house fertha weekend, so we got totally fuckin' hammered, dude."

Twilight crooked her head. "It does sound like you had a good time. And I apologize for not arriving sooner. Princess duties and everything, you know. The usual."

"We mostly came here to see you anyways."

"Whafur?"

"To wish you congratulations, of course." Twilight beamed, and pulled Sunset into a tight embrace. Sunset hiccuped. Stepping back, she let her waver backward until she found her footing. "Celestia and I are proud of you for coming so far."

"Pssshhh, s'nothing." Sunset, after a swig from the bottle, waved her hand dismissively. "S'jus highschool, lol. Wait, did I just say lol out loud? Haha, I'm so fucking drunk."

Shaking her head and making sure the door behind her was closed, Sunset lowered herself onto the stone porch. She sat back against the wall, legs sprawled out before her. "Woulda been better if I graduated from Celly's school, like I was s'posed to. But, oh well. I'm dumb, wasted an opportunity when I had it."

She took another swig.

Her fellow Equestrians exchanged glances.

Twilight held her gaze. "Are you... doing okay, Sunset?"

The question struck her like a rock. What did she mean by that? Of course, she was doing okay.

Wasn't she?

"Uhm. Yeah!" she lied, not very convincingly. "To'ally fine. Jusda bit tired's all. Annnnnd drunk."

"Mind if I take a sip?"

Sunset offered a wordless noise, handing Starlight the bottle.

"Starlight!"

"What? It can't hurt. I'll only have a little."

Twilight puffed. "Fine, but I'm not dealing with both of you sloshed, okay?"

"Relax, Twilight. When have I ever gone overboard?"

Twilight deadpanned.

"Okay, fair. I promise I won't get drunk. We cool now?"

"Pinkie Pie Promise?"

"Sure," Starlight sighed. "Pinkie Pie Promise. Yadda yadda heart and die, yadda yadda in my eye. Now lemme drink some damn booze, mom."

Sunset watched the bickering duo in amusement. Starlight tilted back her head, and in flowed through her lips the hard, burning taste of tequila.

"Mmh, that's the good shit right there. Twilight, you want some?

"Uh. No thanks. Back to the point, though. Sunset, would you mind if we sit with you?"

"Sure, why not. Just don't make too much noise. Buncha 'lil sleepin' fishies inside," she said, jerking an elbow to the door behind her. It thunked against the wood, and Sunset cradled it, hissing. "Ow."

To her right, Twilight took her place, Starlight to the left. They each gave her enough space to sprawl, for which she was thankful. Drunken sprawling felt good right about then.

"So Sunset," Starlight asked. She gulped another mouthful, exhaling at the soothing, fiery taste. "Now that you are done with high school, what're you planning?"

Sunset, cheek smooshed against her left shoulder, pondered. "I was planning on Uni, but..."

"But?"

"Iunnuh. Juss... I still wanna, but, like. Feels like somethin's missing, y'know? But Iunno what."

"Hm," Twilight intoned.

"Maybe you could take a gap year?" Starlight downed a third swig. "Your friends too, maybe, so you're not left behind. Ponies- er, people do that a lot when they're not totally sure what to do. Or, sometimes, it's just to relax and take a breather from life, or find a job."

"Maybe. Could be nice, I guess." Sunset pursed her lips. The tequila ran strong through her veins, but its warmth was steadily dissipating with the conversation. Whether that was a component of being required to think consciously or something else, she couldn't say. "Come to think of it, I don't even know how'm gonna pay for stupid college. It's not free like in Equestria, and tuition fees are a cunt."

Twilight's eyes went round. "Tuition fees? You pay for education on Earth?"

"Y- hic! Yyuuup, sure do. DOn't ask me about it, s'stupid. Still gotta figure out howta pay somehow."

"I am a Princess of Equestria, you know. I might not be able to fund you directly, but I'm certain I could find assets you could liquidate here on Earth for human money, or whatever it is you call it."

"Dollars. Bucks and cash too, but is dollars officially."

"Hic!"

"Moon curse it, Starlight! What did I tell you about the tequila?

"What? I'm cool. I'm fine. I'm cool.

...hic."

Peering over, Sunset cracked a wicked grin. In the short time their conversation had begun, Starlight drained over half the bottle.

"Thass my kinda girl," she cheered, nudging Starlight in the waist. "Good 'ol tequila. S'too bad it's called sunrise tequila though insteada Sunset, am I right?"

"You said it, sister."

"Sun and Moon, you two are unbelievable!"

Sunset and Starlight snickered. A comfortable silence followed, interrupted only by the occasional gulp. Crickets and cicadas and a hooting owl were their company, the foreign sea of stars their backdrop. And for a short time, Sunset was at peace.

Until Twilight spoke.

"What if you're homesick?"

Sunset blinked. "Huh?"

"It's just a suggestion. You've been living on Earth for five years. Maybe you just miss home."

A grimace, etched like stone, worked across her face. "I mean. Maybe?"

"Like I said, just a thought. You always have a place with me if you want to return. I'm sure Princess Celestia would have you as well."

Suddenly, Sunset had no desire to continue the conversation.

She stood, yawned, rubbed at her eyes. "Uh-huh. Well, I'm pretty tired at this point. Think I should catch up on some Zs about now."

Twilight, who stood after her, nodded. Sunset ignored the skeptical glint in her eye. "I understand. Starlight, do I need to get you up myself?"

"Uh-huh."

Groaning, Twilight bent over and got Starlight on her feet. Her beanie had fallen halfway off her head, and her constant wavering back and forth reminded Sunset of a waving reed.

"We're going to get home ourselves then. Celestia knows I'll need a couple shots of espresso if I'm going to function in the morning." Twilight hugged her a second time, before looping an arm around Starlight. "Have a good night, Sunset, and think on what I told you."

"I will," she said, smiling politely. The moment Twilight turned, her smile fell.

Halfway down the path, with Starlight's head lolled on her shoulder, Twilight paused.

"Hey Sunset?"

"Yeah, Twilight?"

"You did deserve a second chance. Don't ever doubt that."

They disappeared long into the night. Even after, Sunset stood for a long, long while.

"So. Homesick, huh?"

She considered it. The fact the notion made her so upset, logically, meant there was some truth in Twilight's words.

But tonight was not the night to think about them. She had been false about her being fine, but she was honest when she said she was tired.

Stifling another yawn, Sunset, cat-like, weaved her way inside the house. A wayward observation of the living room told her there weren't any good spots left to sleep, so she padded her way upstairs instead.

She opted for Pinkie's bed. Marble's was taken up by Rarity, she didn't want to risk a confrontation with Limestone, and if she had to admit, she was somewhat wary of what she might find in Maud's.

So Pinkie's would have to do.

The sheer brightness of the room, even in the dead of early morning, made her gag. Too much pastel and that was coming from an Equestrian.

But the bed was nothing if not comfortable. Fluffy pillows were abound, and the softest, warmest comforter Sunset had known hugged her to sleep.

As the tide of slumber approached, Sunset thought about what Twilight said. Perhaps she was right. Perhaps she was homesick. Surely a trip to Equestria couldn't hurt, right? Especially if she and the girls took a gap year.

With that idea in mind, she fell asleep.

And Sunset dreamed of home.

Author's Note:

The curtains rise upon the first act. A young woman realizes all is not so well as she believed.