• Published 11th Jun 2023
  • 196 Views, 6 Comments

Eight days under the Zebrican sun - The Cheeser



Swift Glaze, looking for adventure and battle, signs himself up for an expeditionary force. Not knowing the trouble ahead

  • ...
 6
 196

Chapter 10-Fading Body, Failing will

Swift Glaze continued west during the night. He went almost as quickly as he had gone just a few days ago when he still had water. To preserve the last of the water in his body, he collected his Urine in one of the jugs. No matter how unpleasant it was to drink it, it was still water. Dune after dune, hour after hour he trudged through the night. He didn't stop until it was noon when it was too hot to continue forwards. He quickly dug a hole and laid down, with his usual blanket above him.

A few hours later he woke up near dusk. Taking a drink from his canteen, he frowned. It was disgusting. Eating some nuts and dried fruit he packed up. Another night, another dune. He had gotten used to the heat. Well, as used to the heat as a dehydrated pony could. His hooves were sticky with sweat and he was panting more than ever to expel heat. Swift Glaze didn't notice, but the dunes were getting smaller and smaller. Eventually, the dunes had shrunk to half their original size. At this point, Swift Glaze finally noticed the change and rejoiced at the thought of leaving the desert. However, as he continued on he soon realized he had not left the desert but simply entered a more smooth part of it. Swift Glaze regrettably continued. his hooves were blistered and burnt. He had been sleeping on the sand this entire time. The sand did cool down after it was covered by the blanket. However, it took too long for Swift Glaze to simply wait for it to cool. It also never cooled enough to be comfortable. Instead, he had to sleep on hot sand, which was just bearable. His eyes were red and full of goop. The sand constantly beat across them, and he probably had gotten an infection, or he had heavily damaged them at the least. His lips were cracked. His blood had thickened due to the lack of water, causing the ends of his body to purple, including his lips. Swift Glaze was also having stomach cramps constantly. Most likely from eating sand, either on purpose or on accident. Finally, his snout was a wreck, but that was the least of his concerns. All in all Swift Glaze should've died by now. However, his will to prove wrong, those who had, in his dreams had mocked and insulted him had kept him going. Though he wasn't sure at this point what a dream was compared to reality.

He saw, in the distance an oasis. Not knowing if it were a mirage, or if it were real. With blurry vision, Swift Glaze trotted slowly forward. He had stopped looking at his compass earlier that night. Now the day was soon to arrive, however, he stumbled. Falling onto the ground, tripped by his own legs he fell. Once he hit the ground almost all of his will vanished.

"I can't go on," he thought to himself. Looking up for a miracle he saw none. Giving up, at least for now, he fell fast asleep.