• Published 11th May 2023
  • 1,157 Views, 78 Comments

How Luna Adopted a Hatchling (Against Her Will) - Hokusai3211



After Luna's disastrous diplomatic excursion to the Griffon Empire nearly starts a war and exposes uncomfortable truths about the antiquated mare. Celestia and her royal advisor are forced to use drastic and rather fluffy measures to save Canterlot.

  • ...
4
 78
 1,157

A Little Family Squabble (Part One.)


It was safe to say, Golden had not been so scared in all her twenty-five years of life. Not even after the great circus fire that had her permanently banned from the clown guild. One that she had absolutely nothing to do with and Rosey Cheeks was lying through her fat muzzle if any pony said otherwise.

But at least in that instance, she had not upset an ancient and powerful monarch. Well… At least not in her own bed chambers, as far as she could remember anyway.

The last ten minutes had been a blur, she hadn’t remembered running into the closet or barring the door with an unusual array of battle axes, cannons, and a battering ram. All of which were inexplicably inside Princess Luna’s closet, next to her disused gala dresses.

But there was no time to contemplate that. As she huddled deeper into the walk-in wardrobe. Because even now she could hear the cracking and thudding of flying furniture outside. All of it swirling about in a magical maelstrom caused by one Alicron who was having something of a bad morning. She winced as what sounded like a makeup table smashed into a wall, praying that the wardrobe doors would hold.

It took Golden what courage she could still muster up at that moment to gaze through the slit in the doors. When she pressed her eye to the slit, she felt a chill in her bones, cutting through her body like a frozen gust in the depth of winter night. Despite the gentle rays of the early morning sun, it had grown darker somehow in the room, all light was being absorbed into a black mass in the shape of an Alicorn.

Working with the princesses every day, one might be forgiven for forgetting just how powerful they were; The fact that the sun and moon were theirs to control notwithstanding. Not only were they some of the most powerful magical users in all of creation. But for whatever reason, if that all failed they still had the natural strength to arm wrestle a dragon, oh, and a foot-and-a-half-long spear in the shape of a horn, conveniently attached to their heads.

To make matters just that little bit worse, below Golden another princess was giving out in her own way, tail, and talons outstretched as she cried. “Shh,'' Golden shakily cooed towards the wailing little griffon in her forelegs who ignored her. Golden couldn’t blame her, she wouldn’t have minded doing the same thing right now.

Then suddenly, the sounds of breaking furniture ceased. Moments passed in silence which Golden took as a good sign, perhaps the princess had finally calmed down? Well, that, or she had run out of things in her room to break. Golden had a sudden and worrying feeling in that moment that the only thing left that qualified for that in the room was her.

She glanced once more through the slit and almost wished very much that she hadn’t. The princess wasn’t there anymore. The room was empty, the cacophonous crashing replaced by an eerie silence. It felt at that moment like one of those horror novels, in which she would only have to blink and one of the Princess's eyes would be staring right back at her from the other side of the door.

In moments like this, which happened more often than she would have liked, she often wondered if all this was worth it, fighting against her cutie mark like this. Say what you like about clowns, preferably at a safe distance from a custard pie. But they never had this kind of danger.

Before she had started, her uncle had told her that the most notorious incident that had swept through the castle, was when one maid had blasphemy put a salad fork in with the fruit forks. That scandal had been the worst event for almost a year, and then she had shown up.

Now she was facing danger every time she was put on the frilly dress and bonnet. Compared to right now she would almost take being a clown again, almost. Having a bucket of water land on your head or being fired out of a cannon didn’t sound so bad compared to an ancient Alicorn's wrath.

Golden reached for the doorknob, all the while the little lioness squirmed in her hooves. She gave a gentle push with her hooves to open the door a crack, but she needn't have bothered. The gilded door gave one long loud groan, like the death wail of a woolly mammoth and collapsed with a loud bang onto the floor. She winced, waiting for… well, something bad to happen. But nothing in the room moved. She gave a grateful sigh of relief, perhaps the princess had left. Finally some good luc-

“You…jester, a word.” The voice behind her was otherworldly. Calm, but with a weight of danger to it. Golden felt a primal fear then, one that her ancestors might have felt when they first lit a fire in the cave, only to realise they were not the only ones who occupied it. But were the only ones that didn’t eat meat.

Golden spun round, “Oh, h-hello Princess, didn’t s-see you there, I was j-just, you know…cleaning.” She said to the towering princess.

“Tis an interesting feather duster you have?” Princess Luna said slowly, eyes glowing in a blaze of dark blue magic. What Golden could make of her pupils were glancing down at the hatchling in Golden's hooves.

Oddly enough the hatchling had stopped her cry somewhere in the exchange. Instead, she was now watching the larger princess intensely, her small prehensile tail flicking from side to side like a cat spotting its next potential snack.

To her credit, Golden didn’t break eye contact and run. Instead, she broke out a fake and uneasy grin instead. “W-well it’s a little louder than a normal duster, b-but you have to admit the wings certainly hel-“

“Silence!” The princess snapped suddenly, Golden did her best impression of a plank of wood, fighting her foreleg not to snap to a salute, a reptilian brain response to a natural commander barking orders. The princess watched her for a moment, then her voice grew softer again, but no less menacing for that reason, “Who put you up to this?”

“Up to what princess?” Her brain had decided to play the fool. It was the role she was born for after all and the only defence mechanism. That tactic had been used all across the history of jesters and clowns. Her great-great-great grand uncle had often been asked by the court to deliver bad news to the Count of Briddleton. He had been rather successful at it, right up until one day when he had accidentally and unfortunately woken up to find himself staring down a hooded figure, a choppy block, and a particularly sharp axe.

“Was it my sister?” The princess demanded, moving closer. “Her sick idea to prank me?” The growl that followed made Golden’s fur stand on the back of her neck, “or was it that fool Discord.” She spat the latter name like a snake might have spat venom, “or perhaps it was all of you servants, mocking me from my behind?”

Golden gulped, “I-I’ve never once made fun of your behind princess, I-I barely even look, I swear!”

The princess of the night continued her advance with the swagger of a jungle cat that knew its prey had nowhere to go, “Do you think that this is some sort of a jest? Do you think that because I am the younger sister, because I do not know the modern world, that I am fair game as they say?” Golden felt her flank hit the wall, she pressed up against it all the while the Griffon wriggled in her grasp to get free, at that moment Golden didn’t blame her for that either.

“I-I don’t play games princess, I had to give that up with the red nose years ago.” Oh why did her brain have to be witty now, why couldn’t she just grovel like the rest of the maids?

Princess Luna's shadow engulfed the pair of them, “You know, there was a time that being a princess meant having your subjects show you some respect. Our grandfather was partial to the carrot and stick method, particularly the stick.” She spoke the last part slowly and with deliberate emphasis, there was a flash then and Golden could swear she saw her pupils become almost reptilian slits. “It was one of the few things we disagreed on. But now, perhaps I think maybe he had the right idea.” Golden’s gulp was audible, “Perhaps we could give you a demonstration?”

Golden opened her mouth to disagree but felt her lips were unable to move from sheer terror.

“Yes,” the princess continued, “we think so, perhaps with a pit, filled with snakes. How does that sou-oof!

There was a thud then, not a heavy or particularly loud one, it was almost like the gentle thud of a pillow being thrown onto a bed. Luna stopped, the threat dying on her lips as she blinked and looked down at her chest. Golden's eyes followed her gaze. They were all momentarily stunned by what had latched onto her chest, or more accurately who.

The little lioness’s beady eyes stared up from her stepmother's chest with a look of inquisitive determination. Her tiny wings flapped wildly as she clutched onto dark blue fur, a questing claw was already haphazardly trying and failing to touch her ethereal mane. The room lapsed into a palpable silence save only for a tiny strangled gasp that left Princess Luna's throat and a gentle rumbling noise from the little cub that sounded oddly enough like purring.

There was always a silver lining in these things if you looked hard enough. For one the little lioness had probably been aiming for Princess Luna's face, but hadn’t quite been high enough to reach it, thank the fields above. The second was that at least Golden was going to see something cute before this all ended in disaster. It wasn’t much of a silver lining actually, more like a speck of iron shavings in the miners-pan.

Luna's mouth opened and closed several times as her brain seemed to have shut down from all rational thought. Her horn lit up almost of its own accord and the hatchling levitated in a ball of magic up towards her face.

The little cub blinked owlishly as she spun around to face the Alicorn. Then, completely oblivious to the situation, she let out a playful giggle, lifting her arms up trying to reach in vain for Princess Luna’s star-lit mane once again.

Golden’s body acted before her brain could tell her to flee. Taking the initiative, she shot up, snatching the little princess from mid-air and ran. “Wow look at the time, I’m going to put your daughter to bed now princess!”

The little cub gave out a mewing cry of protest as Golden galloped for the door. It seemed the little cub at least was having something of a good time and was not pleased by it being interrupted. Golden wasn’t paying attention though, all she could hear as she ran was her thudding of her own heart in her ears.

Princess Luna's mind seemed to snap back into reality all too soon. A reality Golden could see was not one she was pleased by. “What did you just say, daughter?” Luna barked out, anger and confusion sharp across her features.

Golden was already at the door, thinking of where she could hide, her room was out, so was most of Canterlot. Perhaps Mexicolt? Was that far away enough to outrun an Alicorn? It was at least warm this time of year, maybe if she could somehow change her name, fur colour, and cutie mark?

But all of her plans came crashing down around her when suddenly, much to her horror, the door opened of its own accord. She watched with bated breath as another shadow eclipsed her.

“Ah there you are Golden, thank the fields above, I thought I might have been-” the large figure paused as she glanced at the damage around the room. Somewhere behind Golden, a chandelier crashed onto the ground. “…Too late.” She finished lamely.

Golden winced as the sound of marble cracked under Princess Luna's hoof like ice. “Sister,” she hissed, horn and eyes flaring with magic once again. “Thou had best start explaining thyself,” she growled through gritted teeth, horn radiating with magical energy. “Otherwise we will not be responsible for what we are about to-” whatever potential threats of snakes and pits the princess was about to say next were quite literally extinguished. Before she could finish a small pink magic bubble engulfed Luna’s head and drowned out all noise.

The night Alicorn stood in momentary stunned silence as the magical bubble quickly engulfed her whole body in its pinkish hue. She recovered quicker than before though as her brow furrowed and she lashed out with a spell. But the bubble did not so much as wobble.

“What was it you told me all those years ago, when you beat me in the training yard? If you have to act, act, don’t yammer on about it,” Celestia said with a smile. Golden was somewhat of an expert on smiles on a genetic level, but you didn’t have to be an expert to see it was a deeply strained one.

Golden watched as Princess Celestia’s gaze turned back towards her niece, who was still fussing in Golden's hooves. “Oh look at you, I’m so sorry little one,” She moved over towards her and scooped the infant up into her forelegs hugging her to her chest, “My little brave lioness, there-there, please don’t cry.” She spoke in a soft infantile voice, one that Golden did not think the princess could possess. Golden watched as Princess Celestia sniffed the air and leaned back slightly and added, “Oh no, does someone need a diaper changing?”

“I-I’m not quite sure yet princess, I’ll let you know when my legs stop shaking,” Golden said with a pained wince, as she watched Princess Celestia's horn light up and produce a dummy.

She offered it to the crying lioness, who stopped her squirming long enough to open her eyes and stare at the thing. Golden wasn’t quite sure if griffons could even hold pacifiers in their mouths, what with them not having lips in the traditional sense, and was amazed when she latched onto it with her beak and claws. Only to begin tearing it apart peck by peck.

“Well…” Celestia said slowly, blinking down at the sight. “That's not entirely what I had in mind, but I’m glad to see that trick still works regardless of the species,” She smiled, more genuinely this time as she watched her little niece attacking the dummy in earnest. Strangely out of everything, Golden noticed the little hatchling did not show even the slightest bit of interest in her auntie's mane.

Finally, Princess Celestia tore her gaze away from her niece and back up towards Luna, who was still attacking the bubble with her horn, hoof, and magic, all to no avail.

“That’s not going to work Lu, it’s not pony magic.” She said producing a small black obsidian stone with a wave of her horn. Golden could see runes inscribed on the stones, but she didn’t recognise any of them at all. “It’s Griffon’s stone, from Griffonstone,” Princess Celestia said to Golden with a wink, “they’re amazing at rune crafting, but sadly they’ve always been lacking in the names department.” (1)

Princess Luna was literally glowing now with rage as she lashed out at the bubble, Golden took a step backwards behind Princess Celestia who simply rolled her eyes. “You can do that all day and expect the same results sister, I understand that you are upset, but if you promise to keep things civilized I will dispel the rune.”

The thrashing continued for a few more moments. Then reluctantly, there was a long moment of silence as Princess Luna's eyes narrowed to dangerous slits. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, she nodded her head.

Celestia watched her for another moment, then slowly the glowing stone in her aura began to dim until it was just a rock once more. She turned, handing the baby hatching back to Golden. Composing herself for a moment, then turned back right as Luna's horn lit up. A stool, perhaps the last undamaged piece of furniture in the room, flew in the direction of Celestia.

Golden opened her mouth to warn the princess, but before it could even reach six feet from her, it exploded into smithereens. Celestia staggered slightly, then glared at her sister, “Now that was childish.”

Luna snorted like a bull, stamping closer, “Thou had had thine fun sister, now get thee gone!“

Celestia fixed her with a deadpan glare, “Oh, I very much doubt this is fun, for any of us,” she paused as laughter peppered those words and glanced behind her, “well maybe for one of us,” Celestia said, as Golden watched the cub giggling at the magical fireworks with great enthusiasm.

“Get that thing out of my chambers and extricate that look from thine face, before so help us we will come over and do it for thou with the back of our hoof.”

“You're speaking in the old tongue again Lu,” Celestia said in an exacerbated tone, she massaged her muzzle with a tired hoof, “Look, this wasn’t how I wanted it, but I suppose now is as good a time as any for you to meet your daughter.”

A crack of energy burst from Luna’s horn and was barely deflected by Celestia's own magic as it crashed through a window elsewhere in the room. Golden couldn’t see where it landed, she was too busy using Princess Celestia’s legs as a riot shield at that moment.

“Do not use that word, break this farce at once, we have had enough of this!” Luna bellowed, her eyes dangerously narrowed.

Celestia exhaled, she looked then, at least in Golden's eyes every day of her many years of life as she turned back towards Golden. “Be a dear and take our little bundle of joy out of the room for a while please Golden.”

Golden didn’t need to be told twice, she snatched the little princess from Celestia's hooves and nearly skidded across the marble floor in her haste to escape. But as she turned to lock the door she caught Princess Celestia's face. Any lingering serenity was gone, in fact in that moment she looked just as terrifying as her sister had been.

“I think it’s time we had a good long talk sister,” Celestia said, igniting her horn.

Author's Note:

((1) Griffons can oftentimes be very literal-minded creatures, though this lateral thinking has often led to some amazing inventions such as the ‘making things far away appear bigger glasses’, the ‘circle with many hands for telling time’, and most recently the ‘spiky stick firing device for making problems go away fast.’ The latter has found many practical applications from hunting, to law enforcement and even to settling poker games, though the last is rather frowned upon.)