• Published 11th May 2023
  • 1,156 Views, 78 Comments

How Luna Adopted a Hatchling (Against Her Will) - Hokusai3211



After Luna's disastrous diplomatic excursion to the Griffon Empire nearly starts a war and exposes uncomfortable truths about the antiquated mare. Celestia and her royal advisor are forced to use drastic and rather fluffy measures to save Canterlot.

  • ...
4
 78
 1,156

And Then... (Part Two)


And then Iron Hoof turned around from his desk and spotted two ponies and the little cub inside his room. One of them panting hard. The princess looked as though she was having the best time of her young life and the other, sharp dressed one, looked as though he was on the brink of cardiac arrest. Although based on what Iron had seen of him, the larger stallion seemed to have that look simply standing around.

He would have preferred someone knock. That was the gentle bull way of things. But he supposed perhaps standards had changed. He had been away from Canterlot for nearly twenty years after all. It was strange having ponies back at the manor. He had spent almost a year now with nothing but rats as company.

They were certainly cleaner and better organized than his usual visitors. But they were rather poor in the way of conversation. “Squeak,” could only get you so far at the dinner table and their talk of setting up a utopia of the common working rat under the crushing bourgeoisie oppression of cats was becoming rather tiresome.

He lifted the candle up towards them, “ah the young Silver, and the younger Princess, how may I help you two today?”

“There’s a big griffon trying to kill us!” A maid, one in rather too much make-up to be healthy, yelled at Silver side.

Iron Hoof stared at them with a deadpan glare, then slowly he started to chuckle. “Oh, you must mean Winder, he’s no harm at all, unless you're a weed, I keep telling him to not wear that bee-mesh indoors, he’s going to scare the dickens out of someone someday.”

“Forget about dickens, this guy’s after us, some big monster, he’s destroying the manor and he’s trying to take the princess' daughter.”

Iron hoof blinked, his face forming a deadpan expression, “Really? That doesn’t sound like something Winder would do?”

“It’s not Winder! It’s somepony else.” She said pointing towards the door.

Iron furrowed his brow, stroking his snout with thought, it couldn’t be true, who would dare wreak havoc when the monarch was home who could… and then realisation dawned. “This someone,” he said slowly, pointedly. “You said he’s trying to steal the princess?”

“Yes, he was trying to take her away somewhere.”

“And he was destroying the manor?” He asked, mounting suspicion growing in his voice.

“Well he wasn’t fixing it much.” She said, in what might have been sarcasm if her bubbly voice was capable of anything but saccharine sweetness.

Slow dread crept down the old minotaur back like a tickle fight with the grim reaper. There was only one friend who would steal the princess daughter out from his snout and destroy his manor. Only one dastardly evil in this world who would sink that low.

Iron hoof swallowed, he had been preparing himself for this day all his life. “So the time has come, has it?” He muttered looking back at the mirror, he had hoped that he would not have been this old before his final destiny would come to fruition.

But time waits for no bull.

“What, do you know about this?” Silver wheezed out, finally catching his breath.

“Fear not little ones, I have trained my entire life for this moment.” He said drawing himself up to his full height. The two ponies stepped back as he cracked his neck muscles and fingers.

“Wait, how could you?” The maid asked. “You haven’t even seen him yet.”

“Oh, but I have seen them in my dreams. I have fought this evil all my life. There is not a day I visualise them.”

“What do you mean you saw them in your dreams who are you-“

“Those damn Buckley manor stooges!” Iron Hoof roared over Silver. The name as usual left a sour taste on his tongue. “The rival manor in the next village! Of course they would strike now, steal my finest accomplishment of hosting the newest princes of the realm.”

He slammed his fist into his palm, of course it was the only thing that made sense.

“Um… I don’t think it has anything to do with-” Silver was about to say when the maid placed a hoof over his jowls.

“Oh yeah,” she said, nodding her head vigorously, oddly the sounds of a squeaking toy emitted from each nod. “You’re right, of course it must be them, that would explain why he was saying you couldn’t polish silverware to save your life and your table manners were lousy.”

“Lousy?!” Iron Hoof yelled, lifting himself up so quickly that the stool and table flipped upwards and crashed somewhere in the distance. “Oh that does it!” He growled. He reached for the hem of his nightgown and ripped them off in one fell swoop.

There was a pause, as the two ponies stared blankly for a moment, then slowly the maid placed a hoof over the hatchlings eyes.

“Eh?” Silver uttered.

“What?” Iron Hoof asked, looking down at them.

“Why are you wearing half a suit?” Silver said tactfully, placing his hoof over Golden's eyes.

“It’s the state of the art combat butler suit, I designed it myself, butler in the front, flexibility in the back.” he said with a proud nod.

“But it doesn't have a back, in fact it barely has a front?” He said.

Iron Hoof looked down at his suit, it had everything required in a black tie event. Well it had a black tie and a white shirt and waistcoat… Okay perhaps he had gone a little overboard on the function side over everything else.

He sighed, putting on some pants and then said, “Do not worry, we shall take care of this rabble before the midnight brunch.” he said, pulling the little stocking caps from his horns. "come my dear lad, watch how the mighty Iron crushes his foes.

They walked out into the hallway, Iron eyes glared around the hallways, bit it didn’t take long to find the culprit. Even with his poor eyesight it was hard to miss a screaming brown boulder of a griffon charging towards him.

“Trying to take the manor by force, aye?” He said to the charging smudge of brown in his vision. “Couldn’t handle being second best after all, you dastardly swine!” He said adjusting his tie, “I always knew you would come.”

“I crush you big cow.” The griffon spat in broken Eques, its neck veins looking like snakes under his plumage.

Iron Hoof let out a calm breath through his snout and then took a crouching stance, arms forward as though to stop a rampaging wagon. His fingers wiggled as he placed his palms in front of him. Then he lowered his horns.

The griffon charged at the same time Iron Hoof did. braces for impact, collided onto him, the Minotaur smashed into the griffon. The two locked into a titanic clash of brawns.

Sparks flew as talons scraped against horns. The griffon was strong but he was just that. A weaker bull might have buckled under the pressure. But Iron Hoof held his ground, one did not work in the friend of noble customer service without developing a will strong enough to make a veteran mercenary tilt his head in mutual respect. (1)

They lunged at one another again, Iron Hoof grunted, overpowering this griffon was like trying to overpower a brick wall. Instead he traded blow for blow. “Stupid cow, I break you,” the griffon growled, his talons balled into a fist and struck Iron hoof across the face.

Iron Hoof's response to this was the age-old response of any well educated Minatour. He leaned back and slammed his head into the griffon beak. Unfortunately, unlike every other time he had done this. It did not seem to stagger the griffon at all. It was starting to become clear to Iron Hoof that the only thing inside of the griffon's skull…was more skull.

The griffon fist struck Iron hoof in the stomach and buckled him over. Legs shaking he tried in vain to stop the tirade of blows from hitting him. But the griffon just kept coming. He hit the ground.

The griffon gave a chuckle that sounded like thunder rolling through a summer storm “weak little cow.” He boomed, then Iron hoof watched as it balled its fists up together ready to bring it down onto his back.

Iron hoof could only stare upwards, his mind flickering back to the best moments of his life, buffering the silverware, serving tea, polishing the giant silver peacock statue… Truly a life well spent.

At least he would go out giving those damn Buckley’s a thrashing. Make his father proud, and he could sit at the great China shop in the sky and look his great ancestor Skull Crusher in the eye and headbutt him with pride.

It was by gazing up in that moment waiting for the final hammer to fall, Iron hoof spotted something peculiar. For half a nano second, he thought he could see the floorboards above him breaking open. In the next nanosecond he spotted an image of a griffon, face pulled back in terror and g-force holding onto what looked like the alicorn statue that had been in the front garden.

Then Iron Hoof blinked. There was an ungodly sound of distraction and splintered wood. When he opened his eyes the large griffon was gone. As were most of the floorboards in front of him.

He had only another nanosecond to steady himself, to see the glow of those accursed artifacts in the basement. Then slowly he heard a cracking sound.

He had just enough time to turn back towards the two ponies and the cub behind him and say. “The floor, it’s about to collap—“

And then.


And then He watched Hendric fall through the roof.

He couldn’t help it, He smiled. He’d always had what others described as an odd sense of humor. For instance, when He had laughed himself to tears at his drunken excuse for a fathers funeral. Or when He had gone to work in the slaughterhouse at the age of ten and two and watched those stupid animals line up for what they thought was dinner.

Well in a way it was, just not theirs.

He’d made attempts to be “normal” once or twice. He had tried to smile and be pleasant when some big named old crone of a chief had come to visit his pride. It wasn’t his fault that his smile was the same one you saw on a crocodile, when the buffalo came too close to the watering hole. That, or the smile of a snake when the mouse wanders too close.

It wasn’t his fault that when he smiled, others made excuses about leaving the fire on in the hut or pretended their grandmother was calling them. Despite the fact the old hag had been pushing up daisies for the past three winters.

After a while he’d give up pretending. Life had gotten so much easier when you stopped pretending to be what you're not. When he had stopped hiding the fact he felt no remorse for anyone else. When he stopped caring if someone got hurt. When he started caring about hurting others…

Yes, life had gotten easier. Richer too, though he had no real use for money, that was just the way to keeping score. He walked over from the vantage point in the roof and stared down at the new hole in it. Well life had gotten so much easier for him anyway, for poor stupid Hendric, not so much.

He had to admit, this wasn’t his best work. This was not exactly the plan he had come up with. But then when you hired fools to do the work of a real professional, you had to work with some contingencies.

He knew in his line of work you got what you could take. He hadn’t wanted thinkers, not that thinkers would do a job like this in the first place. He wanted meat shields and that was exactly what he got. He didn’t want thugs that asked questions, the only questions He was used to hearing went something along the lines of, “if I give you all my money can I keep my leg?” and that sort of thing.

And anyway, someone had to take the blame, wars didn’t start themselves. If nobody knows who threw the first punch. In that regard these idiots were practically overqualified for the job. Nationalist, patriotic dullards. All he had to do was say the word ‘damn (insert species) taking all our (insert job of said species) next they’ll be coming for our own (insert species female pronoun)’ and they practically lined up to be his expendable arrow-fodder.

He watched the ponies, griffons and minotaur as the floor collapsed. Watched as they screamed and the dust obfuscated his vision. Then yelling stopped, only the gentle glow of red could be seen through the mist.

An ominous sight, a symbolic sight he might have noticed, if he had not been too busy suppressing his laughter.

Frankly he could have packed his bags up now and gone back to his employer and considered the whole job complete. But he was a professional and a professional never left a job half done, or a war half started. After all, those ponies would do just about anything for their peace and harmony.

But if their princess was stolen, or worse, well… even for them, peace had its limits.

He glided down through the gaping hole in the roof, down past the layers of floors that the statue had torn through and into the basement.

He glanced around at the damage. Most of the debris had fallen around the ponies and not on them which was a shame. Perhaps those artifacts had protected them from damage. One glowing mirror stood, practically untouched erect in the middle of the room. Its reflection showing some random forest in the middle of its swirling light.

He ignored it, he had no interest in magic in his line of work, he liked to do things the personal way. He turned at the sound of a wheezing cough and spotted the fat pony in the ludicrous suit wheezing and barely coherent on the floor.

Idoly, because of how his mind worked he wondered how protective that blubber actually was. He felt his talon itching at the thought. He always liked impromptu science experiments from time to time. He saw things in a different way to others, as in, he saw others as things.

That’s why his pride had named him as prideless, why they had cast him out. But he always introduced himself as a mover. He moved things, yes sometimes those things were other species and it was generally to the bottom of a river bed or into a hastily dug hole.

He liked his job. It was easy, Like stealing candy from a foal, or a worm from a cub.

Speaking of…

He had just moved away from the downed stallion, when he caught a little whimpering from somewhere in his vicinity.

He turned to see something small and brown on top of the fat stallion. The cub. It seemed that she had been practically shielded from any of the damages. The stallion was like a walking waterbed. His fat was sort of protective armour for her.

She was letting out a cry as she placed her tiny claw on the stallion's unmoving muzzle. He chuckled, others would have found it quite touching perhaps, but he just found it amusing.

His claw kicked aside a small pebble as he approached. The little cub's head turned to face him. The two of them locked eyes. The looks she gave him reminded him of the look a rabbit might have given, when he aimed the flatbow at it, or the dog, or Mr Featherweights last month. Those dewy and wet eyes that prey often got when they spot the end of everything staring back.

“Don’t you worry, I won’t hurt you.” He said, flashing his reptilian smile. Sadly for him, it seemed that even a one year was not buying that. She scurried as fast as her little legs could, hiding behind the fat prone stallion, crouched behind his jacket.

He couldn’t blame her, if even his mother couldn’t trust his face, then what shot did he have with a hatchling? He moved closer as she buried her face deeper into the fat stallion side. Her eyes glistening and just barely visible over his tuxedo.

Finally instincts took over and she tried to run. But it was far too late for that. He snatched her up by the back of the neck. The cub gave out a whimpering hiss trying to lash out at him with her tiny claws. “Little rabbit has claws I see.” He smirked, he liked it when the prey fought back. It kept things interesting.

“Oh come now, I’m not going to hurt you now, I have standards.” He said, leaning back from her claws. “I can’t speak for later though, when my employer gets a hold of you, she even scares me.” He chuckled to himself. Then paused as something grabbed ahold of his ankle.

“Let…go of her.” A groaning voice announced somewhere below Him. He frowned, glancing around then down at his back paws.

He glanced downwards spotting the clown half hurried in the detritus of the collapsed floor. “You're hurting her, put her down now!”

He made a show of considering that for half a second, “hmm, no.” He said, trying to shrug her off. But she was stronger than she looked.

“You..won’t get away with this.” She groaned.

He closed his eyes and let his smile break across his beak. Oh it just never got old. Every time, every single time, that feeling of hope or defiance. Bless them, it made his job so much more fun.

“Say it again.” He whispered almost to himself.

“W-what?” She said, her defiance cracking slightly.

He reached into his robe and pulled out the loaded flat bow, and in one swift motion, pointed it at her forehead. To her credit she didn’t shy away, he had to admire that. “I love when they say that. Say it again please?”

“S-screw you!” She cursed but there was doubt on her muzzle now.

“No-no, stop pretending to be brave, it’s not the same, say it again, come on with feeling.” He said then an idea came to him. “I know, how about some motivation?” He said, some inspiration always got the best out of others his mother had always told him, he drew the bow slowly away from her and pointed it at the dangling cub.

The reaction he got was priceless.

The mare's eyes opened wide, even trapped under the floorboards she fought to free herself as she screamed “Don’t!”

“Then say the magic words.” He said, leaning down at her, Tatarus, he could almost taste her fear.

“The princess will come and then you’ll be sorry.” She said, trying desperately to dislodge herself, her panicked eyes still not leaving the cub.

“Oh don’t worry about her, I got my own way of dealing with that one. This is about me and you right now. Stop stalling and say the magical words.” He said, growing a little inpatient, he felt his talon twitching on the trigger, one little flicker, one little bit of muscle contracting and it would all be over like that.

"Say, the words." he hissed.

Fine then.” A voice boomed from behind him. “You shan’t get away with this.” The voice carried dread like the sound of ice cracking under someone’s heels in the middle of a frozen lake.

He turned right just in time to see a bolt of ice aimed for his head.

And then...


Silver looked up at the great fields above feeling rather short changed. For a start they were not green but a sort of moldy sickly seaweed colour. Second of all, instead of the ever glowing sun that others had preached of, all he could see was a sanguine red like a nightlight for the criminally deranged, and it was starting to make his eyes water.

Oh and there was something else. Something important… oh yes, he was also in a tremendous amount of pain for some reason. If this was the great field, frankly he was already considering summering in Tartarus.

As he stared up half dazed, he could hear voices in the distance.

He turned his gaze towards the noise. Spotted something strange. It was for all intents and purposes a griffon. But something about it seemed off. It was as though it was a griffon. But also something more. Like he was staring at the outlines of something, like it wasn’t there but its shadow was.

Then he spotted the little princess, dangling above him. Clutched in the talons of the shadow griffons claws, pecking at each sharp scaly digit with an indignant look on her face, that almost reminded him of Luna herself.

Then out of nowhere. A bolt of blue fire lashed against the griffon. Simultaneously another burst of brilliant pink exploded out to block the bolt. But the force of it flung the griffon backwards.

The little princess suddenly now suspended in the air by nothing but her tiny flapping wings lingered for half a second in the air, before landed, on something soft. Much to Silver's chagrin it was his stomach.

He let out a wheeze as the little lioness landed claws first onto his already aching chest. It went so far to say that not just cats landed on their feet. Sadly Silver had always been more of a dog pony.

He tried to rise but found himself pinned against something. He was about to call out for help when without warning something pulled him and the princess out of the detritus like a toddler pulling a rag doll from under the sofa, he blinked and when he opened his eyes he was face to face with princess Luna.

“Find the others and get thee gone.” She commanded, “we shall deal with this.”

“But,” he said then stopped as he gazed at her, Luna looked almost worse than he felt. Her legs shaking, her vision unfocused as though she had no more understanding of what the heck was going on that he did.

“Did my voice broker argument?!” She wincing with pain, an arrow flew past in between the two of them and she flinched back, then flung a spell towards the edge of the room.

The griffon weaved in and out of the shadows. Moving behind artifacts that hissed at him and in the case of one book tried to bite him. A shadow drew over the two of them and Luna launched Silver and the cub away, just as a chunk of rock landed where they had both been standing.

“Flee you fools!” She roared. Silver could see the pink and blue light set across the harshness of the red around the chunk of brick that had come between them.

“Luna, Luna!” He tried to yell over the noise of the battle raging between them, eyes watering from the ancient dust obscuring the room.

Something grabbed him from the side. Another griffon, but unlike the others, this one wasn’t trying to kill him at least. “We must leave. This mansion is unstable, you must take little princess away.”

“Who are you, Golden, where’s Golden?” He managed to croak out, as the cub crawled onto his back and chirped, staring fixedly around the slowly collapsing room.

The griffons didn’t relent. “I am Winder, I find them, you must go.”

“I’m not leaving without her!” Silver yelled, he couldn’t remember the last time he had truly yelled. He’d bottled every bit of emotion away, but now they were bubbling up in him.

The griffon opened his beak when suddenly the mansion gave a sickening crunching sound. A great shudder passing through the foundation. One of the artifacts began to float upwards. Clearly even powerful occult artifacts didn’t want to deal with this mess.

“Come out and face us, coward.” Luna's voice roared from somewhere in the melee. Pain was fueling her rage, in the distance a Column containing a book smashed against a wall.

Silver turned, he had to find his niece now. He pushed through the debris as the battle raged on. He caught flashes of magic and books flying literally off the shelves leather pages flapping like a bats wings. His eyes flickered nervously as he grew more desperate until he was almost ready to consider the worst.

“Over here!” Winder yelled, Silver turned on the spot and saw Winder clutching onto his niece. “Thank the fields above!” He muttered to himself as he saw a ragged looking Golden emerging from what was left of a wooden beam.

Her mane was a curly mess of tangled knots, her make up sneered into white panda dots across her muzzle and her maid uniform was torn and tattered. All in all, except for a bit of dirt, she looked practically untouched from her usual self.

More importantly she wasn’t hurt. Silver ran, which was to say he moved his legs and his weight threw him forwards towards her like a Newton’s cradle.

“Golden, are you okay?” He said, pulling her into a hug.

“I’m fine uncle, where’s the princess?” She asked, her answer came when the cub jumped from Silver's back, latching onto her face. A series of chirps and little wing flaps as the cub purring form nuzzled Golden.

Silver was not an emotional pony, but he felt himself choking back a stifled tear as he watched them. It didn’t last long. “Where’s princess Luna?” Golden asked through a muffled mouth full of feathers.

As if on cue, a radiant blast cracked through the dust, a beam of pure blue energy. They all shielded their eyes bracing themselves as the blast struck against a bubble of pinkish hue.

The two figures locked into a tight struggle, Luna grimacing as she forced all her energy into the blast. The griffon holding the rune upwards in both claws, smiling as he did so.

å nei, we have to stop her!” Winder said at his side.

“What’s going on?” Silver yelled through the cacophony.

“Griffon stone, it is absorbing her magic, like battery!”

“How is that a bad thing?” Silver asked, “Griffon stone isn’t a weapon, he can’t do anything with it can he?”

“Weapon is one thing.” Winder said, shifting his gaze around the room. “But occult artifacts power by magic. Grow stronger for magic. If connected to battery then...” he didn’t need to finish the sentence.

Silver suddenly became aware of all the mysterious and potentially dangerous objects around that decorated the room. Actually it was easier to say that they were the room and the four walls were just the technicality.

“Oh dear.” He said with the sudden realisation of the mouse that had seen the free cheese on the strange wooden board in the middle of the room, only to hear the metallic clicking sound a second too late.

“We need to tell the princess, we cannot.” Winder didn’t finish the sentence. Luna let out one final roar, flinging all her magic into a blinding light towards the griffon.

The griffon had no choice, he shielded his eyes with one wing and Luna charged. His eyes went wide for half a second as he pulled out the flatbow and fired. The bow struck her side but she didn’t seem to even notice. She roared as she charged, smashing the rune aside with her wing and grabbing a hold of the griffon. Lifting him into the air with one hoof.

Everypony watched as the Griffon was lifted boldly, his claws wrapping around Luna's hoof, everypony watched, everyone waited, well almost everyone.

Silver, having trained his senses to detect disaster in every format and with years of dealing with princesses, who court disaster as though it was the last stallion before the bar closed. Stared fixedly at the rune as it slipped like a stone against water across the room and landed almost lackadaisical against the leg of something.

Silver, with that mounting dread that left every hair not glued down with a tub of mane gel standing upright followed the embroidered legs up towards a mirror. Glowing softly in the center or of the room. Showing a stretch of green forest inside of its ripple surface.

There was an almost imperturbable sense of quiet as though fate was cracking its knuckles and lifting up its arms to conduct the final orchestra note.

Then the rune grew almost incandescent as pinkish light seeped its way up the legs of the mirror and all of a sudden the room exploded with light.

What followed next was like a tempest in a teacup. If the tea cup was a moldy basement and the tempest was an arch of unknown, unquantifiable amount of magic power. Actually, now that he considered it, to Silver, it was more like a stick of dynamite in a Porter potty.

Magic tendrils flew out from the mirror spiraling like a hurricane of magic and, with the same irresistible pulling power. Chunks of brick and mortar not stuck down flew from the aging walls and were sucked into its ethereal maw.

Silver, even with his venerable mass, found himself being pulled towards the swirling vortex. He grabbed a hold of bit of rusted popping rooted to the ground.

Every pony scrambled. He watched as temporarily distracted, Luna turned to face the portal, eyes wide. When she turned back the griffon was ready. Both legs lifted and he kicked hard into her face. Luna stumbled backwards, weakened, she tried to right herself, wings flapping.

Then behind Silver somepony screamed. He turned and spotted Golden. “Uncle!” She wailed, her hooves flailing.

He reached out and by sheer luck grubbed her hoof, the two suspended in the air, as though they were flying.

“Hold on!” He roared over the whipping wind of magic.

Golden's panicked eyes focused on him, then towards her back. The little cub was holding on to Golden's mane, but her tiny claws were slipping.

All at once her grip failed. Golden glanced back for only a second at Silver. As an Earth pony, it took only a split second for him to read her face.

“Golden, no!” He yelled, just as she let go.

She caught the cub in mid air. Her hooves pulling the cub against her chest. Silver watched helplessly as the two flew through the air. Just as Luna took another step backwards. Her unfocused gaze could only register shock as the two of them knocked into her. What little balance she had left was gone. She crumpled as all three of them sailed into the air and then into the irresistible pull of the eye of the portal's storm.

There was the briefest of flash and then all three of them were gone.

Silver gasped, as he tried to keep his grip on the pipe. Tried to find away out from this. He saw others being pulled into the portal. That griffon that had attacked Luna held on longer, but as close as he was to the portal even he couldn’t hold on forever. He vanished into its spiraling vortex.

Winder gave out a panicked squawk as a piece of the wall he had been holding onto broke off sending him flying backwards. Next the mountain of a griffon, still unconscious, flew wordlessly into the portal, stuck there like a stubborn bit of toilet paper on a horseshoe before being sucked in. Then Iron Horn in much the same way.

Silver couldn’t look anymore. He felt the piece of brick and mortar loosening in his hooves. He had to think, he needed to get out of here. Get out, find Celestia, yes that was a plan. Find help, any help he could, he just need to hold on, he needed to-

“Ooh, I did not see this coming, this is a much better plan than I had!” Something spoke by his side. Silver turned spotted a pair of mismatched legs, arms, well frankly mismatched everything.

“Discord?!” Silver yelled, utterly bewildered at the sight.

Discord stood there watching it all, sipping casually with a glass of chocolate milk in his paw. As though he was taking a stroll through a park.

No, this was good, Silver considered. Use every opportunity one could find, he could use Discord, make his way back to Canterlot, tell Celestia and then.

“Geronimo!” Discord yelled, throwing the glass over his shoulder.

Silver watched in as all his plans suddenly took a leaping dive bomb into the air, summer salted and then vanished into the portal.

He really, should have seen that coming.

He felt the concrete losses again in his hooves. More and more of the floor was collapsing around him and being sucked into the portal, falling into a magical mirror being sucked into fields knew where?

Slowly, but by bit his hoof slipped until the brick came loose. He watched himself falling away from the wall, watched the ceiling finally collapse around the cellar, crumbling. The full red light vanished along with everything else.

Bright blinding light infused his vision, his life flashing before his eyes. Scrolls and scrolls tied in need ribbons of lies.

Even now, his mind making every deal and back door hustle it could to whatever deity was listening. He survived this, he would be a new stallion, he would workout, he would give away his money to poor unfortunate animals, pet the poor, whatever it was ponies where supposed to say at this time.

He would never tell another lie again.

Of course that was a lie, but at this point it was worth a shot, right? Silver closed his eyes, feeling the tingling of magic all around his fur all around his legs and mind.

And then...

End of part one.

Author's Note:

(1) It goes without saying that war is hell. But being asked daily “where the vegetable aisle is (to which the questioner is currently standing in.)” or “Do you have the cat litter that smells like candy floss?” Or perhaps even, “can I have a cheeseburger with no cheese?” is widely regarded as another layer of hell even the gods of the vilest order fear to tread. 

Apologies for the lateness of this chapter. Work and Baldurs Gate are ravaging my life right now.