• Published 7th May 2023
  • 1,160 Views, 137 Comments

Rosa - awf



A young pony born on Earth goes on an adventure to learn about her origins.

  • ...
1
 137
 1,160

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35: Avenues of Investigation

"I can't believe you would do something like that!" Rosa hissed. She had managed to hold on to her temper until they were back at the van, but now she couldn't stay quiet any more. "I thought you were..." she muttered, "-that I'd have to..." Were there even polite words for what Sky Light had done?

Yes, it had been a joke, but an incredibly tasteless one and the mare knew it. She was looking at the ground with her ears folded flat. "I'm sorry," she said for the umpteenth time. "It really seemed funnier in my head! It's not like something happened, Rosa. I trust Pavo."

Rosa got a feeling that she'd never be able to explain her grievance to the other mare. It would probably be best to just accept her apology and her assurances it would never happen again, and move on. "Just- I just hope something comes out of it."

Sky Light brightened up a little. "Oh, Pavo knows everyone. Don't worry, if any trucker this side of the Rockies drove anything to a government pony lab, he'll find out."

It did mollify Rosa a little bit. Her voice softened and she stopped glaring quite so harshly. "Well... okay. Just please don't joke about stuff like that, okay?" For some reason Rosa was near tears. The relief had finally gotten to her and she couldn't suppress a sniffle.

To her credit, Sky Light was instantly by Rosa's side and wrapped a wing around her back. "Hey, it was a tasteless joke, but you're safe with me, okay? I promise." Her voice was soothing and confident, so Rosa believed her. The pegasus also had extremely soft fluff on her chest and Rosa gratefully nuzzled it. It was better than any warm blanket.

The only consolation was that the human, Terry, wasn't around to see Rosa shaken like that. Actually, the fewer people who saw her, the better. "Yeah," she managed. "Thanks."

"No more silly jokes," Sky promised again. She let Rosa go now that the mare had stopped sniveling. "Wanna take your brush and go wash up?"

Rosa gave her a nod. Doing something normal, like cleaning her teeth and her face was exactly what she needed. To pretend the world wasn't messed up for a few minutes.

The pegasus went to fetch her bags, talking all the while: "We'll ask some of the other truckers tomorrow. I think I know a few of those guys and if we bring them coffee in the morning they'll ask around for us." She paused and gave Rosa a worried look. "We won't get news until the next time they come through here. You okay with waiting a bit, right?"

Rosa had come to accept that fact. Life wasn't too bad under that overpass, with Sky Light and Terry and the summer coming in. She could hang around for a couple of weeks, just waiting. "Y-Yeah..."

"Any thought what you'll do if you get some news?" Sky asked. It was idle conversation, but it made Rosa's ears fold down.

"No..."

Sky Light gave her a bright smile as she finished buckling on her harness. "We'll figure something out. Even if it's like really far away - I'll show you how to hitchhike, okay?"

Rosa had read about that. It had always sounded so much fun, but she was starting to question what she knew. "Is that s-safe?"

Her worry was met with chuckles. "Not really, but it's super fun!" Sky answered. "You're an earth pony, Rosa. Act like it!"

She was not sure how to do that, but Rosa stood up a little taller and stuck out her chest.

"If any idiot human tries to grab you the wrong way, you just kick his face off." Sky Light was already walking to the water pipe and Rosa got off her rump to follow her. She paused by the stack of timber and looked at Rosa appraisingly. "Here, let's give that a try. Buck this piece of wood."

She was pointing to a plank quite high up - about as tall as a man's chest would be.

"How am I supposed to reach that?!"

Sky Light rolled her eyes a little. "Jeez, haven't you ever tried it? What did they teach you in that tard wrangling class?"

"Not how to kick the children to death, that's for sure!" Rosa was appalled at the very idea.

The other mare heaved a sigh. "Well- here, lemme show you." She faced the pile of planks and looked it up and down, calculating. Then she turned her gaze back at Rosa. "Watching?

"Y-Yes."

She quickly whirled around and threw her rump up. Supported precariously on her forelegs, the mare delivered a powerful kick to the lumber before dropping lightly back down with two faint clicks. "There. Now you try it."

She moved away and Rosa took her spot. She tried to estimate where the wood was, then copied Sky's movements. A whirl, a half-jump...

Rosa's muzzle smacked into the pavement, which made Sky Light chuckle. "No, silly. Dig your hooves in. Like trying to do a hoof-stand, okay? Lock your fore-knees in place."

By that time Rosa was determined to get it right, so she got up to her hooves and faced the target again. This time she made sure to keep her legs rigid as she pushed her rump up. She kicked with all the strength she had, but since Rosa didn't have eyes on the target she naturally missed. The momentum of her swinging hind legs made her lose her balance again.

"Ooof!" Rosa landed painfully on her belly.

Again her friend was amused. "Better, now you just gotta work on your aim. It takes practice, don't worry."

She would get it right! Rosa quickly jumped up again, except this time Sky Light pushed on her back to keep her still.

"Wait," she said. "Close your eyes. Remember how high the wood is?"

Rosa obeyed and tried to imagine the target behind her. "Yes, I think so..."

"Now kick about ten inches lower than that."

"Lower? I-" Rosa began, but her friend interrupted her.

"Just try it."

Rosa mentally readjusted where she thought her kick should land, all the while keeping her eyes closed like Sky Light had said. Again she kicked off from the ground and balanced awkwardly on her forelegs. This time when Rosa swung her hooves, something connected. There was a powerful splinter of wood and she opened her eyes in shock. The unexpected contact made her lose balance again and she fell to her belly.

"Wooo! Way to go, girl!" the pegasus praised.

Rosa turned around and saw that the piece of wood had been shredded. There was a clearly visible hoofprint - half of one, anyway - and the edge was badly splintered. She couldn't see the bit that broke off anywhere.

"Do that to a human and you'll kick his kidneys out through his nose! Damn, girl," Sky Light kept cheering, "I knew you earth ponies were strong, but... daamn!"

Her joy was infectious and Rosa couldn't help smiling in pride.

Sky Light smirked a bit. "Still gotta learn to stick the landing, but you've got the basic technique."

Something didn't make sense to Rosa. "Why did you tell me to aim lower?"

"Everyone kicks too high until they get it right. Your head moves down when you push your rump up, remember? Everyone thinks the target is higher than it actually is."

That probably made sense. Rosa resolved to practice a bit more some other time. Right at that moment, her muzzle still stung from the landing and her belly was dirty from falling flat on the street. "Thanks."

Sky Light gave her a quick hug. "Don't mention it. Those are some powerful hooves you got there, Rosa."

The praise made her blush a little, but Rosa really liked it. It made her feel good about herself.

"See? Nothing to fear from any human. Just give them one of those and they won't bother you. Like ever!"

That wiped the smile right off Rosa's muzzle. "I don't wanna kill anyone..."

"You won't," Sky Light assured her, "just remember to do it a bit softer, okay?"

It was too much to keep track of. Rosa really needed to practice until she could do it without thinking. "I guess?" she conceded, eyeing the broken plank.

"Now let's get cleaned up. Maybe Terry'll bring us dinner."

That reminded Rosa and her stomach growled a little. It was getting used to less food, but it was taking time. She also thought she was a bit lighter than she had been, but without a scale or a mirror it was hard to be sure.

"Oh, I know!" her friend proclaimed suddenly as Rosa started walking again.

"What?"

Sky Light gave her a knowing smile before explaining: "Bluegrass can ask his human to check on the Internet for that government pony place."

It was all news to Rosa. "Bluegrass? Human? Internet?!"

Her friend shrugged a little. "I keep forgetting because the others are- um... 'free ponies'. Bluegrass still lives with his human family most of the time and just comes to the truck stop sometimes to say hello and hang out."

Rosa had been meaning to ask about that, but now she knew the answer anyway. She had expected all four of them to be... well, runaways, like her and Sky Light. "They just let him go as he pleases?"

The comment elicited another small shrug from Sky Light. "I guess. They got him to keep the son company, but now he's in college so Bluegrass can pretty much do what he likes."

"Like Internet?"

"Yeah."

"He can find stuff out about top secret government stuff?" Rosa asked, not quite believing it.

Sky Light leaned her head to the side as she considered for a moment. "Dunno. Maybe? It's worth trying, anyway. Bluegrass is nice, he'll help you if he can."

The avenues just kept opening up. Rosa had almost forgotten the grudge she held towards Sky Light. "Well... thank you. I mean it."

She just smiled, easily guessing what Rosa was thinking. "So - forgive me for that little joke?"

There was no way to stay mad at that face. The mare was just being her silly self. It had been a funny joke, or it would have been if it weren't for Rosa's overactive imagination.

She exhaled in exasperation, but couldn't help grinning back. "Well, okay. But you owe me a bag of gummy bears!"

The mare laughed. "Deal."

She would spend money on that, which made Rosa feel a bit guilty. "We're mooching again tomorrow?"

"If you're up for it. After the truck stop. We can go to the court house - lots of rich lawyers walk past. Now, most of them won't give you a dime, but if you can get just one it's worth your while. With your face we might get lucky!"

Rosa nodded to herself. It sounded about right. Stingy, but quite wealthy, lawyers, or at least that was what she had heard. Something else was bothering her, though. "Why don't you pay the guys off by doing a couple more deliveries?"

Sky Light shrugged. "Can't. Hoover is the delivery guy - I'm already doing that. Viktor loaned me cash, so I gotta pay him back in cash."

"Well, why don't you get Hoover to pay you?"

The suggestion made Sky freeze for a second, then she rounded up on Rosa. "Absolutely not!" she hissed. "Doing deliveries for money is a really, really bad idea, okay? If you ever meet Hoover, and by God I hope you don't, never, ever take a job from him!"

Rosa swallowed in fear and shrank back a little from her anger. "W-Why n-n-not?" she stuttered out.

The glare persisted for a little longer, but then Sky Light's face softened. "It wouldn't stop at a couple deliveries for a bit of cash, Rosa. Guys like him - he'll keep pushing you until you're using, and then you're doing deliveries just for your next hit." She stepped closer. "Stay. The fuck. Away from him. Understand? For your own good!"

Rosa was scared now and she nodded nervously. "Ok-Okay..."

The two watched each other for a while, the pegasus breathing heavily and Rosa trying not to move. She swallowed a lump, but then Sky Light seemed to realize where she was once more. "Sorry. I'm just worried about you, Rosa. I like you- a lot."

It was flattering that the mare would go to such lengths to protect her. A bit creepy, but ultimately nice. In any case, that was no the time to ask why Sky Light was so afraid, Rosa understood that much. Some other time.

"Thanks. I appreciate it, really." she give Sky a bright smile and she seemed satisfied with that. Without another word she turned around again and started walking.


Rosa stepped carefully on three hooves so she wouldn't spill the plastic cup she was balancing on the fourth. It was easier for Sky Light behind her who at least had all four legs on the ground and the drink clasped between her wing feathers. The pair made their ambling, careful way to the grass where the rest of the gang was sitting around and talking with each other. Velvet and Pepper shuffled away to make room and Rosa gratefully took her place on the grass with Velvet to her right and Sky Light to her left. That brought Rosa eye to eye with the three stallions, but that was okay. Butch in particular she preferred to keep where she could see him.

"So, how are you two?" the mare on her right asked, idly poking her own empty cup with a hoof.

"We're on a Quest!" Sky Light admitted immediately with a goofy grin. That earned her instant attention.

Pepper, in particular, looked impressed. "Oh, wow! That sounds exciting. What is it?"

She glanced at Rosa and the others followed her gaze. Their expectant stares were a bit unnerving, but Rosa reasoned the more ponies who knew about what she was trying to do, the better her chances.

"I'm trying to find a place where they take ponies with cutie marks."

Bluegrass seemed the most surprised at the news. "They really do that?!" he asked, amazed. "I thought that was just an urban myth!"

"They took my friend from the School. I'm going to find her," Rosa said with more confidence than she really felt. "We're gonna ask the drivers to check on CB. I mean - even secret government places have to get supplied, right?"

Velvet looked a little doubtful. "Unless it's the military doing the supplying. They have their own trucks." Rosa's expression crumpled and Velvet scooched closer to briefly lean her head against her side. "Aw, I didn't mean to make you sad, sweetie!" she said. "Government and military aren't always the same thing, yes?"

That made Rosa feel a little better and she nodded happily.

"Good thinking about the CB," Pepper commended her.

Rosa was about to admit the truth, but Sky Light beat her to it: "Not my idea. Terry came up with that one."

Now the stallion was doubly impressed. "The old geezer hasn't drowned himself in booze yet?"

Sky Light didn't answer and Rosa couldn't quite meet her eyes. She was fond of the man and the rest of them knew that. At what point did playful jabbing become hurtful, Rosa wondered? The mare pushed past it and looked to Bluegrass instead. "By the way, we were wondering if you'd look around the Internet."

"Who, me?" the pony in question asked.

This made Sky Light roll her eyes in exasperation. "No, dummy. I was asking Rosa, since, you know, she's the only one here living in an actual house with actual Internet."

Everyone laughed and even Rosa couldn't keep a small chuckle from escaping.

"Dummy," Sky Light repeated, but she was grinning. The stallion smiled as well.

"Sorry. Yeah, of course I'll try. Anything in particular I should look for?" Bluegrass asked.

Rosa decided to field that one. She wanted to make sure he got it right. "Yeah, actually. See if you can find something about an earth mare named 'Maribelle'. Or if not, anyplace they take ponies who get cutie marks. Oh, and also why. Terry says it doesn't happen usually, but it was a big deal at the School."

"You keep talking about this school," Velvet asked thoughtfully, "what was it about? Is there really a school for ponies? Can just anyone enroll?"

Rosa shook her head. "It doesn't work that way. We're there almost from birth."

The mare frowned a little at the news. "Okay, so what do they teach?"

"Useful careers-" Rosa began, but Sky Light interrupted her.

"-like tard wrangling. That was Rosa's specialty."

It got a round of laughter, but Rosa didn't mind. The statement was true enough. "Well, Paolo was training for a delivery pony," she added. "There were different programs. Housekeeping, cooking, accounting." She remembered the most exciting one and smiled. "A filly I knew had a very nice voice so they trained her for voice-over work in movies and cartoons!"

"Wow. Busy place!" Pepper commented.

For the first time that day Butch made a comment: "Shame this 'Paolo' didn't escape with you."

Before Rosa knew it she was blushing slightly and lowering her ears. "W-Why?" she asked.

Everyone looked at the stallion, who shrugged and pointed at Sky Light. "He could help you with those drug deliveries."

This time there was no laughter. Rosa thought she had found the line which shouldn't be crossed, even in joking.

"Well. Anyway," Sky Light said, looking down at the grass. "Let's finish coffee, Rosa. Then we can go check if Pavo is up yet."

Rosa glanced at the man's truck, but the curtain was still pulled across the front window, so her guess would be 'no'. Despite that she didn't argue, choosing rather to dunk her muzzle into the cup and slurp up some of the tasty beverage.

"What did you get?" Velvet asked in an effort to lighten the atmosphere.

"A cappuccino," Rosa explained. "The cook at Pony School told me she likes them so I wanted to try one."

"Any good?"

Rosa nodded and smiled.

The other mare stared at the drink. "Can I try?"

There was about a quarter of the cup left, so Rosa just slid away from it and waved her hoof magnanimously. "You can finish it, if you like. I think I've had enough."

It had already been far more caffeine than she was really used to, so Rosa didn't mind Velvet sharing a little. She liked the mare.

"Oh, really?" she chirped happily. "Thanks!"

Rosa caught Pepper and Bluegrass giving her approving smiles and felt a lot happier in herself. "I guess I'll catch you later? Or tomorrow?"

Sky Light was already walking away, having apparently left Rosa to say goodbye.

"Probably tomorrow. Same time?" Velvet asked her friends, who all nodded. "Bye Rosa!"

Bluegrass lifted a hoof in farewell. "I'll try to find something on the Internet by then!"

"Thanks! Have a nice day!"

Rosa hurried after the pegasus toward the trucks where some people seemed to be moving around. It would be a good idea to ask as many of them for help as she could.

PreviousChapters Next