• Published 17th Apr 2023
  • 628 Views, 23 Comments

A New Adventure - Late2TheGame

  • ...
1
 23
 628

Chapter 8 - Let me ask you something

The next morning; Twilight awoke feeling stiff and sore, but well rested. Checking her clock, it’s was a little after 8 in the morning, she realised that she had slept over 12 hours “Woah, I guess yesterday took it out of me” she laughed to herself as she stretched and climbed out of bed. After doing her morning routine, she made her way downstairs into the living room, through into the kitchen where Spike was sitting at the table reading a ‘Power Ponies’ comic with a bowl of cereal.

He looked up to her as she made her way into the kitchen and gave her a smile “Morning Twilight, how you feeling?”

“Good morning, and I’m still a little sore but I’m feeling better” Twilight smiled back as she went to make herself some toast and coffee, sweet sweet coffee.

“That’s good, sorry again for getting so emotional yesterday” Spike said, a little embarrassed.

Twilight put her hoof on his shoulder to comfort him “You never have to apologise for your emotions Spike; did you get a response from the princess?”

“Thanks Twilight. And yeah, she said that’s she’s glad to here your doing alright and to keep her updated” Spike replied, taking a big spoonful of cereal.

After Twilight got home, they sent princess Celestia another letter explaining the situation and that she was unharmed and home. She was glad to hear that she wouldn’t be worrying her former teacher. Thought they will still need to send letters to their family to let them know, made they could stop by the post office and head back home.

At that moment the toast popped up in the toaster, so Twilight buttered them and sat down at the table, taking a drink from her mug.

At that moment, Spike remembered something and swallowed a mouthful of milk and cereal before speaking “Oh by the way, after you went to bed, some stallion stopped by asking for you. I told him you were sleeping and he gave me this package to give to you. Said it was from a ‘Blaze’ or something”

Twilight almost choked on her coffee in surprise. After clearing her throat she asked “So where is this package then”

“I’ll go get it” Spike said as he finished his cereal and placed the bowl into the sink, before leaving the kitchen.

“He didn’t leave? Well where did he go? And what did he bring? And why did he wait until so late to try and give me it” Twilight asked in her mind as she waiting for Spike to come back through. She couldn’t help but feel a sense of relief wash over her, though she wasn’t sure why?

It was then that Spike walked in with a large square parcel wrapped in a plain cloth tied with string. Twilight book it in a telekinetic grasp and placed it on the table, moving her toast and coffee it of the way. Slowly she untied the string and unwrapped the cloth, Spike watching closely to see what she got. Upon seeing what was in the cloth, Twilight let out a gasp and just stared.

Spike just gave a confused look “A book? And and some paper?”

Twilight couldn’t believe what she was seeing; it was the book and research papers from the vault “Did…Did he go all the way back and get them, for me?” She wondered, realising why he delivered the package so late. Twilight carefully took the book in her magic and opened it, she looked through the pages and felt so touched at this gift.

Coming out of her thoughts, twilight turned to Spike who just looked confused at her and the book “It’s now just any book Spike, this is the book from the vault” she explained

“WHAT!!” Spike said, recoiling in fear as though the book were a bomb. She had told him an abridged version of yesterdays events so it would make sense that he didn’t trust the book.

“Don’t worry Spike, the book isn’t going to hurt anypony” Twilight said, now with a big smile that she just couldn’t seem to get rid of. She rewrapped the book and paper and passed them at a still terrified Spike “Could you put this in my study please?” She said as she got up, left the kitchen and started walking towards the front door.

Spike followed, holding the book as far away from him as his little arms could manage “Why can’t you do it? It’s your book!”

“I need to find Blaze and thank him. He might still be in town” she said, continuing to the door, she felt giddy but for the life of her couldn't tell why? Maybe she just so excited at the prospect of a new friend “Oh! maybe then I could introduce him to the girls, and then-”

Twilight snapped out of her though process as she opened the door only to be greeted by another pony she’d never seen before. She was a unicorn mare with an alabaster coat, long pastel pink mane and a cutie mark of an Orchid flower in bloom. She was standing at the door with a large smile, almost like she’d been waiting for her.

“Heyyy there! You must be princess Twilight Sparkle” The mare said, taking Twilight’s hoof and shaking it vigorously “I’ve got to tell you, it’s a honour meeting you”

“Um thank you, likewise” Twilight said confused and a little uncomfortable. Before she could say anything more, the mare pulled out a notepad and pencil from her saddlebags.

“I’m a reporter and I heard about your hospital visit. Can I come in ask a few questions?” She leaned in so close that their noses almost touched.

Twilight backed away at the invitation of her personal space before clearing her throat and answering “I don’t think I have time for an interview just now, I’m a little busy as the moment. And besides, it’s a long story” she said hoping that would be a sufficient excuse to get out of this situation.

This strange mare just continued to smile cheerfully at Twilight as she spoke “An alicorn princess ends up in the hospital, how much longer do you really think you can keep ponies quiet about that? I promise I won’t take up too much of your time. I just want to give you the chance to come clean with the full story. That is, before somepony else comes out with a more interesting, marketable story” she looked Twilight in the eye “But it’s your choice”

Twilight wasn’t sure what to do, she didn’t feel as though she could trust this mate but she did have a point. She was able to calm the ponies in town but how long until the news spread beyond Ponyville? Would they even to able to contain it? If not the very least they could do is have control over how it’s announced. So after thinking it over a moment and taking a breath, she looks to the the mare and responds “Okay, I’ll agree to an interview but you have to listen and you can’t take anything out of context.”

“Oh I wouldn’t dream of it princess!” The mare said with a hoof over her heart. So twilight lead her to some chairs by the bookshelf for them to sit “Would you like anything to drink?”

“Oh no thank you, I’ll just ask my questions and be on my way” the mare said with an unfaltering smile.

“Okay, so what do you want to know?” Twilight said, hoping this wouldn’t drag on.

The mare gave a giggle “Don’t worry, it won’t drag on. Now first question, can you please go over the details of yesterday in your own words?”

Twilight cleared her throat before telling the story of discovering that one of the vaults of Mystic the Marvel were only a few hours away from Ponyville and that it has never been explored. About how she made her way there to discover what was inside, and when she got there she found no way that she could enter the vault.

As she spoke, she noticed that this mare wasn’t taking any notes of any kind “Shouldn’t she be writing this down?” she thought to herself.

“I’m waiting for further in the story to write my notes. Don’t worry though I won’t forget the context, I never forget” the mare said with an innocent smile.

Twilight was thrown for a loop for a second “I couldn’t be sworn I didn’t say that out loud”

“Don’t worry, I saw you looking at my notepad” the mare said, as though she were trying to explain how she knew what Twilight was thinking.

Twilight, accepting that logic, continued with her story and how the door mysteriously opened on it’s own. Next she told her about how she found the chamber with the old book, how the alarm system was activated and the arcane sentry attack. And it was then that she brought up Blaze and explained in great detail how he jumped in and saved them both.

Upon mentioning Blaze, Twilight heard the unmistakable sound of a quill on paper as this mare as finally stated taking notes.

“Okay, thank you for that. Now, second question; this ‘Blaze’ stallion, how did he get there?” she asked as he held up her notepad in anticipation.

Twilight thought back to yesterday for a moment, and explained how Blaze had somehow opened the doors within the vault just by touching them. And about how he was already in another section of the vault when she entered. After that, she went on about how he then bandaged her and took her into town and to the hospital.

The mare seamed ecstatic writing down notes as Twilight finished her story “That’s perfect. Okay that’s should be enough for today, thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it”

“That’s perfectly fine, thank you for listen to the full story. But I have to ask, what newspaper do you wor-“

“Oh! Before I go I have to know, off the record. Tell more about this Blaze guy, was he as heroic as you made him out to be?” The mare asked with a cheeky grin.

“W-What? What are you saying?” Twilight was caught off guard and stopped in her tracks.

“Oh come on you can tell me, girl to girl” The mare leaned in close again, causing Twilight to back up slightly.

“I don’t see how this is relevant, and besides I’m pretty busy like I said so I’m sorry but I really have to go” Twilight said trying to end this conversation as quickly as possible. Her mind was racing and she felt herself getting defensive, to which the mare laughed and made her way to the door.

“Don’t worry princess, I was just teasing. You enjoy the rest of your day now, byeeee” she sang as she walked out the door and closed it behind her.

Twilight just stood there a moment in confusion as her anxiety levels came back down to normal. There was something about that mare that didn’t feel right “Wait, did I get her name?” She thought to herself, trying to recall when the mare introduced herself but nothing came up.

“Woah, she was creepy” Spike said from the stairs as he walked down.

“Spike, now that’s not a very nice thing to say” she lectured, thought she had to admit she shared the sentiment “And how long were you listening?”

“The whole time” Spike said, a little bashful “Why didn’t you tell me about this guy that saved you?” He asked.

“I was focused on letting you and everypony know I was okay. Also, I had thought he’d left Ponyville” she admitted with a small sheepish smile. Now remembering Blaze and the gift he got her. She got up as started making her way to the fort again “That reminds me, I should go find him. To thank him again for yesterday and the book”

“Wait, you know the girls want you to rest, but if you wanna go then I’ll come with you” Spike said as he follows closely behind “If he really saved you, then I have to thank him too”

Twilight just gave small laugh in response as the two left the library. She was also just glad to distract herself from that creepy reporter mare.


Watching the two leave the library, a certain unicorn mare started to walk down the street while humming a sweet tune to herself. Eventually stopping behind a building out of sight as she looked at her notes and gave a giggle in excitement.

“It’ll be over soon, my love. It’s really finally happening. One vault down, three to go”