• Published 10th Apr 2023
  • 1,490 Views, 60 Comments

A Sunset's Butterfly - Hypnotwist



Sunset's saviors never befriended her despite Twilight's wishes, they left Sunset to deal with the fall formal aftermath all by herself. Now nearly a month later Sunset gets an unexpected text from the kindest girl in school who wants to be friends.

  • ...
1
 60
 1,490

Why do most fights start in a washroom

Shockingly enough Sunset managed to get to school early the next day and was sitting on the front steps idling on her phone before school. With a little sigh of displeasure, she stood up and went inside to prepare for the day, undoubtedly she'd have to face another day of vitriolic jeers hurled at her. Without fail her fellow classmates would unleash a torrent of hateful, vile insults whenever she'd stop even for a brief moment in front of them.

Her locker was unsurprisingly not yet vandalized considering how she's at school early and the vandals hadn't been given a chance to crudely decorate her personal storage space, she hummed and grabbed her books, she was about to pull them out when she felt someone tap her shoulder, Sunset jumped like a cat seeing a cucumber for the first time and spun around on her heels to see who required her attention.

Fluttershy blanched and threw her hands up defensively, she'd misremembered how tense Sunset could be while on school grounds. Not that cast any blame on the redhead, the students were absolutely horrendous when it came to the harassment they subject Sunset to daily. "Sorry! Sorry.. I probably should've said something and not touch you when you had no idea I was here. Sorry."

"It's okay you just startled me. G'morning Fluttershy, you're here early."

"I like to be a little early, it gives me time to spend a little time with Angel before school starts."

"You bring your pet to school?"

She blushed and nodded, as if on que the bunny in question poked his head out of her backpack to angrily stare at Sunset. "Mhm! I'm not supposed to bring him, but he helps calm me down if everything gets overwhelming."

"Like an emotional support animal?"

"Basically."

"That's adorable, but how do you hide him from the staff? How long have you even been bringing him?"

"Oh, since sophomore year."

"Jeez- That's a long time. What, two or three years?"

Fluttershy giggled adorably, nodding in agreement as she held her backpack, and thus Angel, closer to her chest. "Close to three, it'll be three years in a few days."

"Aww, but you still didn't answer my question. How'd you manage to keep him hidden from not only me, but the staff?"

"Oh I don't keep him inside my backpack all day, that would be dangerous for him! I let him wander around outside during school hours, he likes to stay in and around the school gardens and the gardening club has adopted him as their unofficial mascot because they think he's a freeroaming rabbit."

"Oooh, okay that makes a lot of sense. Do you go outside if you get overwhelmed to take a breather and he comes up to you then?"

"I do, Angel usually comes over to me covered in dirt though. I wonder what he gets up to when he's outside."

Sunset rolled her shoulders back and chuckled, she didn't know what Angel got up to and she wasn't interested in imagining a million different scenarios, mainly because the looming threat of being late for her first class kept her from trying. "Oh crap, oh crap we're going to be late!"

"We-" She couldn't finish what she was trying to say because the late bell rang, they'd evidently been chatting for longer than they'd realized and instead of being early for their first class, they're going to be tardy.

The amber skinned girl's eyes widened and she spun around to hastily grab her books, she didn't acknowledge Fluttershy as she grabbed her necessary items for class and powerwalked off in a mild panic.
The glare everybody sent her way when she walked in was fierce to say the least, she shrugged it off and went to sit in her usual spot, she was in school to get an education, not to make friends so it didn't matter what they thought of her.

Sunset paid no attention to the people who threw things at her and occasionally glanced at them to see how angry they were that their harassment had no visible effect on her.
She smirked as the bell rang, getting up and making her way outside and towards the lady's room to take a quick bathroom break before her next class, blissfully unaware that she was being followed by a girl who had less than peaceful intentions towards her.

She hummed, taking a few steps into the room and doing a precursory glance around the area to spot any danger before it sneaks up on her. Once deemed safe, she was heading into an empty stall to do her business when her name was called by someone who was behind her, Sunset's eyes widened in response to the raspy, angry sounding voice. She knew too well who's voice it was. "Mmh, yep?"

"You've been hanging around Fluttershy, what have you been doing? Blackmailing her into spending time with you because you're such a demon that nobody wants to be your friend?"

"No?-" Sunset turned around to look the person in the eye, and as it turned out that person was Rainbow Dash, the most aggressive member of her little clique. "She spends time with me because she wants to, I didn't do or say anything to force or intimidate her into being my friend."

"Bullcrap!" Rainbow spat, narrowing her eyes and punching her palm to appear intimidating. "You better stay away from Fluttershy or else."

"Else what? You'll attack me? You do realize that if you assault me then I'm going to press charges and make sure they lock you away for a long time, right?"

"Who's going to believe you? You're a liar and a mani-pula-tior!"

"You mispronounced 'manipulator', Dashie~ Oh also I don't give a s- a flying feather about if they believe me or not, the police will listen to me because of the overwhelming evidence. Attack me if you want, but you'll go to jail and I'll be pressing charges if you do try anything."

"You little-" Rainbow roared in anger, charging forward to strike the girl she was asked to befriend. "I'm going to-"

Sunset frowned and scrambled out of the way, she knew she couldn't defeat Rainbow Dash outright so she'd have to outsmart her somehow. The girl ran over to the nearest stall and opened the stall door, swinging it outward to use as a temporary shield, luckily for her the enraged jock's face collided with the door in a show of perfectly timed karmic justice. "Rainbow please- Just leave me the hell alone!"

"I'm going to teach you a lesson you'll never forget, she-demon!"

"I didn't even do anything to you to deserve this, Rainbow, why are you doing this to me?!"

Dash recovered from the blow quickly, she felt blood trickling from her nose and brought her hand up to figure out how bad her bloody nose was, the life sustaining liquid that was on her hand when she pulled it away was enough to make her panic and think her nose was broken, she quickly circumvented the stall door that Sunset was hiding behind and got a grip on the redhead's arm. "Alright you demon, time to teach you a lesson on why you shouldn't've forced Fluttershy to be your friend."

"But I didn't force her to do anything you braindead nine year old troglodyte! She texted me out of nowhere and we talked." Sunset tried shaking her arm to force the prismatic haired woman to either loosen her grip so she could wiggle her arm free or let go of her entirely. She unfortunately was unable to and Rainbow tugged her hard enough to send her falling to the ground, her fist connecting with the former bully's face as soon as she was down. The surge of sudden, dull pain caused her to cry out loud enough to wake the dead.

The furious athlete kept landing blow after blow on the 'she-demon', dragging her into the center of the bathroom by her hair where she continued to viciously assault the school's least popular student, ignoring the cries of pain coming from the former bully.

Sunset was able to roll onto her back to get in a good couple hits in on Rainbow Dash, stunning her temporarily and getting up against the wall so she'd be able to defend herself much easier. She wasn't going to put up with this harassment and wasn't going to shy away from a fight especially when it's self defense. "I'm not backing down Dashie, I'm going to protect myself. You're much worse than I was even at my lowest, you know that? I never physically attacked anyone, nor have I ever gone after someone for their sexuality, skin color, or political party so why are you stooping down lower than I have even at my worst?"

She glared intensely at Rainbow who froze and seemed to be thinking, her sour expression wavering. Sunset took the opportunity and lunged forward to get in a few hits before the athlete was snapped back to reality and resumed her attack before Fluttershy or someone else walked in on their fight.
Sunset struck Rainbow in the jaw and nose a good five times before she got shoved back violently, the unexpected push caused her to stumble and fall onto her rear. "Oof."

"You're just a no good, rotten demon Sunset Shimmer. I wish you died in that crater." She spat at her, slowly walking towards the redhead and watching with sadistic glee as she scrambled back away from her, trying to delay the incoming beating.

"So do I Rainbow, but sometimes you can't get everything you want."

"I'm going to put you in the hos-"

"Rainbow Dash!"

Sunset chuckled blithely and looked past the athlete at her best friend, she knew that Rainbow Dash's friendship with Fluttershy was all but over now that she walked in on her assaulting a student for an awfully invalid reason and she was going to rub it in her face to make it hurt. "Uh oh Dashie, I think our sane mutual friend doesn't like that you're attacking people~"

Rainbow had obviously paled, she turned around slowly and chuckled nervously. "Uh- Hi Fluttershy.."

"How. Dare. You."

"Uh- Excuse me?"

Fluttershy scowled and marched up to Rainbow, her face was only an inch away from Rainbow's when she stopped using her indoor voice and started yelling in a volume that was highly unusual for the normally very quiet girl. "How. Dare. You?! You- You assaulted an innocent person!"

"She isn't innocent Shy, she tried to-"

"I. Know. What. She. Tried. To. Do."

"Hey now, I just-"

"Well you're wrong, whatever you thought was wrong, whatever you did was wrong. You're not a good person to be around, and you're not my friend."

"What?! Fluttershy-"

Fluttershy ignored Rainbow and turned to take care of Sunset who was without a doubt injured, she knew she was hurt but she had no idea how severe her injuries might be. She put her hand on Sunset's cheek gently and looked into her beautiful blue eyes, her chest ached and she felt as if tears may start flowing freely in any second. "Sunset, oh goodness, can you stand? Walk? We need to get you to the nurse's office!"

Sunset clenched her teeth and stood up, hissing in pain in response to her battered and bruised body trying to keep her down. "I'll be.. Fine."

"Wait here, I'll get help from the teachers."

"No. They can't know-"

"Please, you need help!"

"Fine, I'm so dizzy.." The amber skinned girl slid down the wall took a seat on the floor, to her the room was spinning and she wasn't sure when it would cease, if it would at all.

"You might have a concussion."

"Grrreat. Please hurry, I feel like I'm dying, I know I'm not but it feels like I am. Soooo maybe I am, I dunno man.."

Fluttershy's eyes widened and she nodded, quickly exiting the bathroom and passing Rainbow in order to find a teacher to help get Sunset to the nurse's office, she almost instantaneously found the vice principal doing her regular hallway patrols and flagged her down in a near panic, hastily explaining what had happened to Sunset and who'd attacked her.

Vice principal Luna rushed into the bathroom, eyes widening in shock at the image of bloody and beaten girl before her. "Oh my g- Fluttershy I'd like you to wait in my office, I'll bring Sunset to the nurse's office so nurse Redheart could tend to her."

"But-"

"Go. I'm positive she'll be okay, I'll make sure she gets proper medical attention."

She reluctantly nodded, turning to leave the bathroom to wait in the main office, she wiped the tears rolling down her cheeks as she walked to the office.
She couldn't fathom why her former friend was so willing to ruin her friendships and possibly her life over pretty revenge, they were much worse than Sunset was as a bully. Fluttershy sluggishly walked to the main office, she couldn't stop worrying about her friend despite the reassurance from the vice principal that she would be alright.

Fluttershy went into the office and took a seat, miss Inkwell already knew why she was there and offered her a cup of water while she waited for Luna. She politely declined and folded her hands, her stomach felt tight as she immediately assumed the worst about Sunset's condition, luckily for her Luna soon walked into the office and motioned for her to follow.

Author's Note:

Flutters and Sunny: Have a normal wholesome convo.

Rainbow Dash: So anyways I started throwing hands.

Anyways sorry if this chapter's kinda bad, I'm suffering from a horrible concoction of conditions called lack of inspiration, procrastination, and depression.

We'll get into the gay stuff next chapter I promise. Whenever I get around to writing it. In 2,000 years.