• Published 10th Apr 2023
  • 1,490 Views, 60 Comments

A Sunset's Butterfly - Hypnotwist



Sunset's saviors never befriended her despite Twilight's wishes, they left Sunset to deal with the fall formal aftermath all by herself. Now nearly a month later Sunset gets an unexpected text from the kindest girl in school who wants to be friends.

  • ...
1
 60
 1,490

Sunset only wants to get an education in peace

Getting up in the morning was the worst part of the day for Sunset, it wasn't even because of the harassment she faced daily, she just hated getting up and wanted to sleep until noon. She sluggishly got out of bed and went downstairs to get ready for the day, she grumbled to herself and cursed whoever invented school as she started on her morning routine.
Sunset got ready like she usually did and grabbed her backpack, she had confidently decided that she was not going to put up with the crap of others anymore, she may have been a horrible person but she never told anyone to end themselves, she found it sickening how quickly the students of CHS stooped so low.

The chilly morning air cut right through her leather jacket and thin sleeveless shirt, it earned a shiver and a quickened pace as a result, she really wished she'd bought more cold weather clothes when she had the chance to.
She powerwalked to school, ignoring anyone who'd attempted to catch her attention to harass her, well in truth she ignored everybody because she assumed they were going to bother her. Sunset only stopped when she got into the school's entrance hall, her eyes drifted from student to student, all of whom had stopped to glower at the redhead.

Sunset politely smiled at them and waved, walking deeper into the depths of the school to locate her locker and prepare for her upcoming classes. She wasn't surprised in the slightest when she found her locker vandalized, it did ruffle her feathers but unfortunately there wasn't much she could do about it so she pretended like she hadn't noticed and put her backpack in the locker, taking the things she needed for class out and humming an old tune to herself.

"Hey She-Demon!"

The girl in question's eye twitched, she slammed the locker door shut and spun around to meet whoever was so keen on harassing her this time and was now face to face with Hoops Score, a big moron if she were being honest.

"I said.. Hey. She. Demon." He hissed and raised his fist to strike the smaller girl in front of him.

"Hello Hoops, anything I can help you with?"

"Don't act innocent demon, you're a jerk."

She raised a brow, tilted her head to the side, and crossed her arms, dropping any books she was carrying before the confrontation. "Am I now? Anything else you'd like to point out?"

Hoops roared and brought his fist down to hit the girl, unfortunately for him she side stepped the swing and his blow not only missed, but collided with the old metal of the lockers behind her. "Ow! That's it Shimmer I'm going to-"

"To what? Hit me?" Sunset smirked, she was taking a little too much sadistic glee at the sight of the brute's fury. "I don't think you can, I mean I was standing completely still and you still missed~"

"Why you little-"

"Mister Hoops! Assaulting students is against school policy!"

He paled and turned to face miss Cheerilee. "H-Hey I wasn't doing nothing to 'er."

"You had your fist raised as if you were intending to strike her." She crossed her arms and looked at him disapprovingly. "You'll report to the principal's office, same with you Sunset. As you're both aware we have a zero tolerance policy."

"Come on!" Sunset protests, anger quickly bubbling up in her chest. "I wasn't even defending myself! I sidestepped his blow-"

"Principal Celestia will figure out what will happen to the two of you, so you both will be reporting to her office immediately. Am I clear?"

"Yes miss Cheerilee. May I pick up the books I've dropped and put them away first?" She struggles to keep her tone even, trying to hide her rage at the fact that not even the teachers would give her the benefit of the doubt despite overwhelming evidence that she was the victim during the incident was insanely difficult and she was going to punch someone's lights out if she was forced to deal with any more crap.

"Whatever." He scoffs and goes over to the librarian, he knew better than to ignore a teacher's directions. The last time he'd ignored a teacher's instructions he got suspended from the basketball team for a few weeks.

"Of course Sunset, but please don't take too long."

Hoops glowers at her one last time, stomping away to go report to the principal's office. The hulking brute stomps off in an insanely comical manner with Cheerilee following in the rear to make sure he does indeed get to the principal's office.

Sunset turned back to her locker and sighed, not even the staff would protect her if things went wrong. She opened the metal storage and bent down to pick up the books she dropped during her encounter with Hoops, she was halfway through collecting her things when a butterscotch hand picks up the rest of her books, she looked up and saw it was Fluttershy helping her out. "Oh, good morning."

"Good morning Sunset, it's good to see you."

"It is? Aren't you like.. Angry. Or resentful?"

"No, I remember every time you were cruel to me, but you do seem to want to be a better person and I'd to be your friend if you'll only allow me."

"I'd like that, a lot actually."

Fluttershy smiled and finished helping Sunset pick her books up, she handed the ones she was already carrying over to her new friend.

"Thank you, I'm sorry that I gotta dip so soon but I got myself in trouble again, and I need to go to the principal's office."

"Oh! Don't let me keep you then, I'll see you in class right?"

"Hopefully. If I'm not expelled." The redhead sighs and made her exit, the walk to the principal's office felt like a death march and the closer she got to the door the harder her heart thumped in her chest. She knocked on the door and waited for a response before she entered, she gently closed the door behind her and sat down in the chair next to Hoops.

"Thank you for coming, Sunset."

She crosses her arms and looks her in the eye, she didn't really have a choice but to go, she probably wouldn't be a student of CHS for much longer and to be honest she really didn't give a flying feather. Maybe Crystal Prep would be a better school for her. "If you're going to expel me, just say so and skip the lecture."

"It'd be good if you're gone, demon." Hoops spat, causing Sunset to stop crossing her arms in order to give him the middle finger.

"Well at least I don't go around hitting girls, Hoops. If anyone's the demon here, it'd totally be you."

He sputtered and threw his arm up to point at her. "See? She's a-"

"Enough! Both of you, be quiet." Celestia slammed her hands on her desk and leaned forward to watch the two students in front of her with narrowed eyes. "You aren't being expelled Sunset, security cameras caught the whole incident on tape, I called you here to fill out an incident report while I fill out Hoops's suspension sheet."

Sunset quieted down and slunk back into her seat, the principal's outburst had reminded her of whenever she earned the princess's ire back home and she knew better than to press the issue.

"But principal! She turned into a raging demon!"

"I am aware mister Score, but that is no excuse on why you would attack another student. She posed no threat to you and it was not self defense. I've left a message for your parents regarding the incident today and your family will be expected to appear before the expulsion board. As for you Sunset, I have an incident report for you to fill out. It's an opportunity to give your side of the story."

She nods and folds her hands, she's pretty surprised that she's actually getting justice for what happened between her and Hoops. The girl gingerly takes the paper that principal Celestia holds out for her to take, in addition she also grabs the clipboard and pen she's offered.

"She-Demon if you fill that report out bad things are going to happen."

The amber girl's eyes didn't leave the form nor did she pause filling it out, he'd fallen right into her trap and currently she had even more ammunition to use against him if she so wanted to. She smiled down at the form and contemplated pressing charges anyway simply to prove that she wouldn't take crap from anyone. "I wouldn't recommend continuing your harassment unless you'd like to face criminal charges."

She turned her head only to gauge his reaction, as much as she was trying to be a better person she could still be very sadistic and may have been taking a little too much joy in his panicked expression and clear discomfort.

The rest of her time in the principal's office went by peacefully, she completed filling out the form and handed it back to Celestia, Hoops got suspended and she had asked to be dismissed back to class. "Principal Celestia?"

"Yes?"

"I don't feel well, may I be excused for the day?"

"Stomach?"

"No, in general. Everyone's cruel words is really starting to get to me I think."

Celestia sighs and takes a hot moment to reply to her. "Of course, I can only do this once however."

Sunset fights back a smile, she was expecting Celestia to tell her no and to go to the nurse or something and hearing the usually by the book principal agree to help her out this once restored a little of Sunset's faith in humanity. "Thank you, I promise I won't be a menace to society again."

"What?" She sounds confused, probably because Sunset never cracked a joke when in the same area as her. "Oh, joke?"

"Mhm, bad timing probably so I apologize."

"Will you be back to school tomorrow? I'd like to know whether I inform your teachers that you'll be absent for today and tomorrow or just for today."

"I'll be back tomorrow, I just.. Need to take today off as a mental health break. Not putting up with anyone's bs is harder than I thought." She chuckles softly and rubs the back of her neck awkwardly, she was going to really struggle with standing up for herself and she wasn't looking forward to the next time she was forced into self defense.

"Of course, I'll see you tomorrow morning, have a pleasant day Sunset."

Sunset nodded and didn't bother speaking, she wanted to go home and take a forty-five minute nap to process the fact that some people are stupid enough to threaten her in front of an authority figure.
She was unbothered at the glares that were sent her way by the vengeful students of the school, she even flipped people off and giggled when they shouted insults that they thought were original as she passed.

The second she got outside she let out a breathy chuckle and sat down on the front steps of the school. She deserved the insults and jeers from her fellow scholars, however she didn't believe that the physical assault was warranted, she held her head in her hands and let out an exasperated grunt, the tears were flowing freely now and she was at her breaking point.

"Sunset? What are you doing out of class? You didn't get expelled did you?!"

She didn't remove her head from her hands, she couldn't face Fluttershy's disappointment. "I spoke with Celestia and I asked for the day off to take a mental health break."

Fluttershy sat down beside her and placed her hand on her shoulder, the pale yellow girl wasn't afraid of being late for class because her friend seemed like she needed someone to comfort her. "Are you alright?"

"I don't know. I know I deserve the hate I'm getting, but it's.. It doesn't make it any less painful, I never called anyone a slur or attacked anyone for their sexuality but then they turn around and do and say what I would never dare to dream of."

Her friend said nothing so she continued speaking, looking up and wiping the tears off her cheeks. "I feel like I'd be doing everyone a favor by removing myself from the gene pool so to speak."

"No! That wouldn't be doing people a favor.."

"I guess not.."

Fluttershy frowned and pulled Sunset into a warm embrace, she never was good at talking to people let alone comforting them, even then it never stopped her from trying her hardest to brighten their day even by the tiniest bit. "You do want to be better, right?"

"Mhm."

"That's all that matters. You're making an effort to change and if they can't see that then shame on them."

"But your friends-"

"Aren't real friends."

Sunset broke the hug and stared at the girl with wide eyes, shock was plastered on her face at the revelation didn't consider the other girls her friends. "What? But-"

"Real, good friends, no- good people- wouldn't be so cruel to someone who clearly needed their help and friendship. I'm sorry I took so long to realize that.."

"It's not your fault Fluttershy, I don't blame you at all for not wanting to be my friend in the beginning, I was awful to everyone and I singled you out because of your shy nature."

".. I meant it last night when I said your compliment was the nicest thing anyone's said to me in a long time."

"I had a feeling." She looked down at her lap. Sunset felt very conflicted, she really wanted to be her friend but at the same time she worried about the shy girl being bullied because of her association with her. "Hey, I don't want to have to end our conversation but I really should get home and you should be getting to class, don't want you to be even later than you already are."

"I'll be okay, I'm sure if I explain that I couldn't get my locker open in time miss Pansy will understand and excuse the lateness."

"Fluttershy." Sunset felt her lips twitch upwards, she had to seriously fight back a smile in order to appear serious so her friend would concede and go to class without further protest. "I will not have my friend get a lunch detention on my behalf. I'll be home so you can shoot me a text after school, alright?"

She pouted and stood up to go back inside. "Fiiine, I'll text you when I'm able to. Please be safe getting home."

"I won't."

"What?"

"It was a joke, I'll be careful Fluttershy, don't worry."

Fluttershy's look of absolute horror rapidly shifted into a relived smile, she waved to Sunset and walked to the door to go back inside the school.

Sunset got up and checked that everything she needed was in her bookbag, for the first time since the Fall Formal she felt like she actually had a future to look forward to.
She knew she'd probably have to fight and earn her future, it might not even be a bright future, but at least she won't be taking an eternal dirt nap anytime soon.

Author's Note:

Y'all want a proper fight next chapter? You'll get one because I have ✨IDEAS ✨

I'm not happy with this chapter, but I'm sure the next one will turn out much better, stay tuned and place your bets now: Will the next chapter be better or will it be absolute poopoo?