• Published 10th Apr 2023
  • 1,491 Views, 60 Comments

A Sunset's Butterfly - Hypnotwist



Sunset's saviors never befriended her despite Twilight's wishes, they left Sunset to deal with the fall formal aftermath all by herself. Now nearly a month later Sunset gets an unexpected text from the kindest girl in school who wants to be friends.

  • ...
1
 60
 1,491

Sunset's dream of life

Sitting on a rough looking couch was Sunset Shimmer, a girl who'd attempted to overthrow a horse princess with an army of brainwashed high schoolers, in her hands was a worn down journal that was vibrating and glowing magenta. Sunset opened it and read the message as it was being written and as it turned out it was Twilight Sparkle, she wasn't surprised in the slightest since Twilight was the only one of her saviors from the Fall Formal that would even look at her, the amber girl hummed and re-read the words on the page.

She sighed and closed the journal, the princess's response was only getting on her nerves, Twilight was in denial that the five humans she trusted to befriend her were leaving the area whenever she came around. "Sometimes friendship fails, princess. Not everything will be sunshine and rainbows."

Sunset sighed again and groaned in frustration, she technically deserved all the vitriol aimed at her but she never would've thought that the people tasked with keeping her in line would be the ones who are the most vocal about their hatred of her.
She blew the rogue strand of hair that was hanging down in front of her face out of the way as she stood up and walked over to her charging phone, she turned it on and frowned upon seeing an unread text.

The woman rolled her eyes and unplugged her phone, picking it up gingerly and unlocking the device due to her curiosity getting the better of her. Sunset was genuinely expecting the text to be full of hateful words or someone telling her to remove herself from the census and was very confused when she saw the text was from Fluttershy asking her how she was doing.

'I wanna kill myself lmao.'

She frowned, going over to sit on her busted couch and wait for the response. She was waiting for the torrent of hatred to come, when Fluttershy responded it was not only a normal reply, but it was actually kind.

'Would you like to talk about it?'

'Not rlly, I dont trust u no offence'

She turned her device off and expected the contact to cease, however it didn't take long for her phone to ping and alert her to the fact Fluttershy responded. She stared at the black screen and debated whether talking to her was a decent idea or not, she eventually came to the conclusion that she may as well see what she wants and go from there.

'It's okay, no offence taken.'

'Is it rlly? For u it's okay but for me it's not. I get ur friends might not wanna talk to me cause of what I did but why do u guys have to act like I'm satan whenever I walk into the room?'

'No, I wouldn't say it's okay. But I was thinking the other day about what happened & I wanted to get to know you better.'

Sunset scoffed, the redhead had dealt with so much hatred aimed at her the past month she was suspicious of anyone who was seemingly kind, she knew that they were only attempting to get her guard down to humiliate her. Now her self preservation instincts were screaming at her to end the conversation and walk away. 'Why do u have my #'

It's on your MyStable profile.'

"Well, I guess I forgot to turn those settings to private. Dang.." She mumbled, pinching the bridge of her nose in exasperation, the realization that more people may possibly have her phone number caused the girl to swiftly log onto MyStable and hide those settings from the public to prevent more vengeful students from getting ahold of her number.

'Thx for telling me, fixed it.'

'No problem!'

'I don't wanna sound rude or smthn but why r u really texting me?'

She leaned back on her couch and closed her eyes, that didn't last too long because her phone vibrated which indicated a new text.

'I want to be your friend.'

'Lol funny joke F, but that's mean'

'Not joking.'

'Really? Why?

There wasn't a reply for a while and Sunset was beginning to think that Fluttershy got bored of messing with her and went back to doing whatever she usually did after school, she really didn't blame Fluttershy, she wouldn't want to be friends with herself either. To her surprise her phone pinged a few minutes later.

'Because you seem like you need a friend. Earlier today you I saw you and I wanted to go over, but the crowds scared me off.'

'Social anxiety?'

'Mhm.'

'Well hey, I think u do amazingly good for being in a band n singing in front of a lot of people.'

'You mean that?'

She chuckled and rolled her eyes, of course she meant it, if she hadn't then she wouldn't have said so. 'Obv, if I didn't then I wouldn't say smthn 'bout it.'

'That's the nicest thing someone's said to me in a long time!'

'Your friends don't compliment u?'

'Not really.'

Sunset was speechless, did they not ever build each other up? She huffed and sent the only thing she thought of sending. 'Why don't they ever compliment u? Ur like the NICEST girl in school. >:c'

'Idk, but it doesn't bother me. I'm used to it.'

'Fluttershy thats actually rlly sad.'

'Eh, not to me. I gtg but will you come to school tomorrow?'

Sunset doesn't respond right away, she stares at the text and hums in thought. Even if she legally is required to go, she still doesn't want to have to deal with the vitriol that is unleashed upon her every day.
However on the other hand she doesn't have to put up with people's crap if she doesn't want to, and given how much she's dealt with it's only fair that she can start to fight back. 'Probably. Gn Fluttershy.'

'Good night Sunset, I'll see you tomorrow I hope.'

She smiles and properly turns her phone off, going back to plug in the device so she'd have a charged phone for the next day. Given how much the students hate her she sometimes feels like she needs her phone in case of an emergency where she needs police assistance.

The amber woman climbs the stairs to her loft and changes into her pajamas, she still is very suspicious of Fluttershy's motives for texting her and can't help but feel as if the whole thing will end in disaster, she reminds herself that Fluttershy is the kindest girl in school as she continues having those thoughts while she completes her bedtime routine.
It's only after she's comfortably in bed when she concedes that Fluttershy might genuinely want to be her friend.

Sunset shut her eyes, she was curious as to what would happen in the future now that she and Fluttershy are on speaking terms and figures that she's going to find out soon enough.

Author's Note:

Should I be working on Warhorse? Yep.

But do I wanna work on other things? Y e p .

Anyways I'm starting another fanfic as you can tell, I'm bored and I'm suffering a bit of writer's block when it's coming to Warhorse sooooo- :twilightsheepish: