• Published 1st Apr 2023
  • 604 Views, 8 Comments

Princess Luna’s Anthology of Final Wishes: Little Angels - Drunk Luna



Foals are not supposed to die. Luckily, those who must leave this world far too soon are taken to Heaven by their princess.

  • ...
2
 8
 604

Poppy

Author's Note:

Special thanks to FlovvKrovv for this idea!

Smoke billowed from every orifice of the ranch-style house, creating a suffocating cloud of ash that changed Luna’s glossy blue coat to a dull shade of gray. Luna coughed violently as she gazed down at the three charred corpses that had been placed on the ground and covered in a white sheet. She had just taken the two larger decedents home, but now there was one last thing for her to do. The husband’s and wife’s bodies clung to the remains of their four-year-old daughter. The lunar diarch’s sides inflated, then deflated with a heavy sigh as she illuminated her horn and entered the dream realm.

In a fragrant green meadow, at least twenty foals frolicked under a clear blue sky. Luna searched the herd until she found a baby blue filly with a curly pale pink and white striped mane and tail. The small foal lay in a fluffy ball, trembling and crying. Luna folded her legs under her and lay down next to the filly, then draped her wing over the foal’s shoulder. Two fuzzy blue ears flickered as Luna gave them a soft nuzzle.

“Hello, Poppy,” Luna whispered. A pair of bright mint green eyes peeked out from between Luna’s feathers, and the foal whimpered as she cowered and tucked her dished face under her forelegs. Luna smiled sympathetically and decided to use her most effective approach.

“Poppy,” she said gently, “what’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?” Poppy’s ears flicked again, and she slowly raised her head.

“‘Nilla,” she squeaked. Luna magically created a giant bowl of vanilla ice cream, which Poppy immediately devoured.

The little blue filly relaxed as she finished eating the frozen treat. The princess cleaned the sticky ice cream off of Poppy’s face, then cuddled the foal lovingly beneath her wing.

“Now then, my dear little one,” Luna said, “can you give me a list of three of your greatest wishes? I will do everything in my power to make them come true.” Poppy’s brow furrowed for a moment as she thought, then her eyes widened.

“I want to be a vet, live on a farm with lots of animals, and give a feather from my new angel wings to grandma and grandpa after I’ve gone to heaven so they’ll know I’m okay,” the filly said decisively. Luna nearly broke down as Poppy revealed her third wish. Tears began to pour down her cheeks, and she turned away from the foal to compose herself. After a few seconds, Luna refocused on Poppy.

“All right, Poppy,” she said, “close your eyes.” The filly did as she was told, and in less than two seconds, Luna magically gave Poppy all the knowledge she needed to become a veterinarian. She asked the former dean of students at Canterlot University to present the foal with a veterinary degree, which he did. Poppy was given her own practice, where she had the opportunity to heal a sick puppy and mend a kitten’s broken leg.

Luna teleported herself and Poppy to a picturesque farm in the countryside, which was filled with cows, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, cats, and dogs.

“This farm now belongs to you,” she told the filly. “You’ll be able to live here once you get to heaven. Let’s get you into your angel gown.” With an effortless sweep of her horn, Luna changed Poppy into a beautiful white dress just as the dream began to lapse. The angel who stood guard at the gates of heaven provided Poppy with her wings and halo. Luna smiled as Poppy reminded her of her third wish as she turned to present her new wings to the princess.

“Consider it done,” Luna promised as she took what was needed.

Poppy’s funeral took place a week later. As the grieving family left the cemetery, Luna caught up with the foal’s living grandparents. Both elderly ponies’ wrinkled faces were heavy with exhaustion, the rims of their eyes red. Luna half-expected them to ask what their daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter had wished for, but she knew that they probably had no idea that her job included such responsibilities.

“As your princess,” she explained to them, “I am tasked with guiding every departed soul to heaven. Your sweet Poppy told me to give this to you. She is at peace with her parents.” Luna magically revealed a small wooden box, which she opened to reveal a tiny white feather. As she explained its significance to the elderly couple, tears streamed down their faces.

“Thank you,” the filly’s grandmother whispered. “You have no idea how much comfort this brings us.” She threw her hooves around Luna’s neck, sobbing. Luna returned the embrace, then hugged Poppy’s grandfather.

Luna left the cemetery with a profound sense of peace. As the princess raised the moon, she released a long-held sigh, stretching her wings to relax them. For about thirty seconds, she allowed herself to weep. The sovereign of dreams could not afford to wallow in grief; she was needed when darkness fell. Luna refused to brood over the emotionally taxing nature of her role because she knew that her fortitude was needed by the souls that she was tasked with ushering to the afterlife. She cast a spell that replenished her physical and emotional strength. When she returned to the most sacred place in the dream realm, she was once again fully prepared to accompany more ponies on their final journeys.