• Published 1st Apr 2023
  • 604 Views, 8 Comments

Princess Luna’s Anthology of Final Wishes: Little Angels - Drunk Luna



Foals are not supposed to die. Luckily, those who must leave this world far too soon are taken to Heaven by their princess.

  • ...
2
 8
 604

Melody

The weak cries that came from the black trash bag in the freezing storm drain were so soft that Luna thought—no, hoped—she had imagined them at first, but unfortunately, as the princess gingerly opened the bag, she knew that these little cries were all too real.

An impossibly small unicorn filly shivered uncontrollably in the winter air. Layer upon layer of frost covered her entire body in such a massive amount that at first glance Luna thought the foal was white, but as she gently stroked the newborn, the frost fell from the filly’s tiny body in crystalline shards to reveal a glossy black coat. The little filly was completely naked, and she had no blanket to shield her from the bitter cold. Luna magically teleported herself and the foal to the final nursery, where she grabbed a warm blanket and quickly swaddled the newborn, who was still crying weakly.

“Shhh, shhh, you are safe now,” the princess whispered through her tears as she cuddled the filly close against her chest and began to gently rock her. “There, there, little one. I know, you aren’t feeling well, are you?” She touched the foal’s forehead with the back of her foreleg and sighed in frustration. The filly’s fever was far too high; even with the most advanced medical care, she had no chance of surviving. Luna cursed under her breath. This little foal’s life had only just begun; she couldn’t have been more than two hours old. Nonetheless, Luna knew she had a job to do, and in some ways, caring for abandoned newborns was heartbreakingly easy because each one made the exact same, painfully simple wishes. As the foal began to cry in Luna’s hooves, Luna forced a smile and lowered her head to nuzzle the filly.

“So,” she cooed, still rocking the foal, “what shall we call you, sweetheart?” The foal stopped crying, blinked up at Luna, gave her a smile, then sneezed adorably. An invisible dagger twisted in Luna’s chest, but she gritted her teeth and continued to gaze into the foal’s big, innocent eyes. She began to sing softly, and the foal smiled at her.

“You like my singing, don’t you?” Luna giggled through her tears. “I believe you have just named yourself, my little one. I think I’ll call you Melody. Do you like that name, Melody?” She gently squeezed the filly’s chubby little legs, eliciting another weak giggle from the foal.

“Melody,” Luna whispered, kissing the newborn’s forehead. “Your name is Melody. Come, my dear, let’s get you cleaned up.”

Luna placed Melody into the small bathtub and tenderly washed her tiny body, then changed her into a fresh diaper and dressed her in an angel gown embroidered with music notes before swaddling her in a clean, warm blanket. As Melody yawned contentedly and fell asleep in Luna’s hooves, the princess reluctantly acknowledged the lapse in the dream.

“Fly high, beautiful Melody,” the princess whispered as she cradled the filly and walked up to the gates of heaven. She gave the newborn a final, tender kiss on her forehead, lovingly caressed her head, then handed her to the angel who stood sentinel outside the gates.

After returning to her bedchamber, Luna fell to her knees and wept. That little filly had only known love because of her. Though the world had changed so much over the last few millennia, it was no less cruel. Luna reminded herself that she had an indispensable role to play in Equestria, as a ruler, mother, and guide. Unfortunately, her job was necessary. With a sigh, Luna dried her tears and reopened the portal to the dream realm. Many more souls needed the comfort of her presence.