• Published 27th Mar 2023
  • 703 Views, 18 Comments

Fallen Star - WingedGreatness



The mane 6 never expected to find an alicorn in the middle of nowhere. Let alone one so powerful they could topple all of Equestria. (A retelling of Starlight Glimmer.)

  • ...
3
 18
 703

The Beginning

Of the very few things the alicorn owned, she only chose one thing to bring with her when the girls offered to help her pack. A journal, which had some sort of symbol on the front of it. Which she simply teleported to some unknown location and declared herself ready.

Though ready may not have been the best word for it.

The moment she stepped free of the cave, it was as if she was taking her first breath of fresh air in decades. Though her hoofprints were still fresh from the path she made back and forth in the village she looked about as if she had never seen anything like it.

No shift in her expression, deadpan as ever, but her posture was more guarded. Her gaze drifted over plants with an expectation that they would attack her or something.

It put the rest of the ponies in the group on edge as they retraced their steps back to the wall.

Pinkie Pie had tried to make conversation along the way. Even started an argument with Rainbow Dash about the color of one of Rarity's dresses but the awkward tone remained heavy and hard to ignore.

"You'll have to show us the way out of here," Aj pointed out as they got closer to the fence. "We couldn't find a gate or nothing."

Starlight didn't falter in her poised manner of walking. Head held up high and footsteps light. However she did give the Earth pony a look that could be best described as condescending. "No such exit exists."

"W-what?! Whattaya mean?! How did ponies get in and out of here then?!"

"The barrier was erected by Starlight Glimmer." The alicorn stopped just in front of the fence. Her wings splaying out briefly before folding back at her sides. Though she spoke about herself in the third person it wasn't in a haughty manner.

She wasn't proud of the fence.

Twilight exchanged looks with her friends before she saddled up beside Starlight. Awkwardly clearing her throat. "Well, it is a lovely fence." The compliment was forced and made a few of the others groan. "But...why did you make it?"

Starlight didn't answer, her ears flicking to show she was listening however. Twilight tried again, "Did you want to be left alone? You said ponies feared you but..." She trailed off, pawing at the grass with her hoof. "This is such a beautiful place, wouldn't you want to share it?"

At that, the alicorn finally looked at her. An almost puzzled expression on her face before she glanced out over the land once more. "Thou finds beauty in such a land?"

"Of course! I've never seen anything like it before!" It wasn't much but it was a conversation, finally! Something that got the alicorn a little more out of her shell. Twilight smiled as she gestured out at the nearby glistening river. "This looks right out of a fairytale!"

"...it does not strike fear?"

Twilight glanced back at her friends, confused and all Rainbow could do is shrug. The pegasus flying forward to hover in front of Starlight. "Uh...why would it? It's just a bunch of nature! Sure it's wild and all but we've faced worse! At least it isn't a changeling army!"

"Or a shadow pony." Fluttershy muttered.

"Or Discord!"

The yellow pegasus shot Aj a look. Earning an apologetic smile back. "Sorry sugarcube, I know he's your friend now. But ya gotta admit, he was a hassle."

Starlight watched the exchange, tilting her head slightly at their words. Then before any of them could ask any further questions she made her way over to the river. Placing one hoof in it and they all watched as the water began to change hue.

They all gasped, some delighted at the beautiful color, but that noise quickly turned to shouts of alarm as the water began to crackle with electricity. The color shifting to the vibrant blue of Starlight's magic and the water churned like rapids.

When she eventually lifted her hoof, it settled once more though now with a fading glow.

"That was so...awesome!" Rainbow laughed, rushing forward. Almost daring to touch the water but not quite that brave. "How did you do that?! What spell was that?!"

"Tis not a spell." Starlight huffed, rolling her eyes. "Tis excess."

Twilight's stomach dropped in realization.

Glancing around at the scenery once more and now noticing the glow on literally everything. Subtle for the most part, blink and you miss it kind of deal, but once you concentrated...it was everywhere.

The glittering leaves, the glowing river, the grass that grew so high. Everything around them was charged with magic.

"...you've been using the world as a battery."

Starlight tilted her head. "A battery is unknown to us."

Right, Starlight hadn't been outside in a really long time. Twilight gave an apologetic smile. "When you have too much magic built up, you put it in the ground don't you?" The other alicorn nodded.

"That can happen?" Rarity asked and Twilight nodded to her. "Darling, I've never seen you do that."

"I use a lot of spells, so my magic doesn't normally build up. Most ponies use enough in their daily routines to be able to release it naturally." She brought up one hoof to her mouth, gently tapping it in thought. "I guess if Princess Celestia and Princess Luna didn't raise the sun and moon too, they would experience something similar."

She looked back at Starlight, frowning. It made sense that the powerful alicorn was generating a lot of magic and not using it. There wasn't really anything to do around here. So Starlight must've just been waiting until she couldn't take it anymore and then releasing it all into the ground.

It sounded so lonely...

And she had seemed so interested in magic when it was brought up so surely she must've loved to do spells regardless.
How long had she been practicing random spells before she gave up?

Twilight shook her head of her thoughts, focusing back on the here and now. She couldn't change the past but she could build a better future. "Well, we'll have plenty for you to use your magic on now Starlight!"

She turned back to the wall and prepared a teleportation spell. "Wait until you see all of the advancements we've made! There's so much more to learn!" Before she could finish the spell however, they were suddenly on the other side of the wall.

It startled her enough that her magic crackled around her horn and her feathers puffed up in surprise. Glancing back at the other alicorn who hadn't even blinked when she teleported all of them.

She didn't even need to see the other side of the wall to do it either!

It was going to take a really long time for Twilight to get used to just how powerful Starlight really was.

"Let's head to the train station! And then, Canterlot!"

"No!"

Rarity's protest made them all pause. Looking to her as the unicorn actually looked flabbergasted at their surprise. "Girls, I must insist! We must make a stop at Ponyville first! I cannot have Starlight meet Princess Celestia looking like...this!"

She gestured dramatically to Starlight who merely stared down at her with that same blank expression. "Split ends! Chipped hooves! When was the last time she had a proper bath?! No I won't stand for it! She deserves to look her best meeting the Princess!"

"I hate to agree with Rarity-"

"Applejack!"

"-but she has a point."

One pitstop then and then they'll meet with the princesses!

That was the plan at least.

But Twilight had quickly forgotten that Starlight was a bit outdated compared to the rest of them. The walk to the train station had been uneventful. A few attempts to get Starlight to talk again but she brushed off each conversation with silence. Merely looking at their surroundings.

They tried to tell her stories about Ponyville and their own friendship quests but none of them were entirely sure she was listening.

It was when the station and subsequently the tracks came into view that Twilight was oh so reminded that of the issue at hand. Starlight stopped dead in the middle of walking, eyes widening slightly and they all paused to look back at her.

Her eyes then narrowed and her wings puffed up. Ears laying back as she took on a more guarded stance. Nearly hissing like a changeling and glaring down at the tracks they were walking alongside.

"What has become of these rocks?!"

"She's older than trains?!" Rainbow yelled, throwing her hooves in the air. "How can she be older than trains?! Weren't they invented centuries ago?!"

Aj rolled her eyes. "Now, this don't mean she's older than them. Just means she hasn't seen any. She lived in that village and never left it! There weren't any trains there that we saw."

Fluttershy took a few cautious steps forward. Startling as Starlight flared her wings out in a threat to stay away. "Oh-um...Starlight? These...these won't hurt you." She tried to explain and even reached out a hoof to tap the sleeper closest to her. "They're just..." She trailed off, trying to think of a comparison. "Paths!"

She smiled, a wide nervous smile as Starlight looked to her skeptically. "They're paths for a big moving house that will take us back home!"

"A super fun moving house!" Pinkie added as she jumped back and forth over the railroad. "You get to meet all sorts of ponies on a train and there's really good snacks! Oh, oh! You'll have to try an éclair!"

"Pinkie, she needs real food first!"

"What?! But an éclair is a real food! A really really real good food!"

Starlight reached out a hoof, touching the same spot that Fluttershy had. Drawing back her leg almost immediately like it had been burned before she repeated the process. Eventually working up the courage to jump over it just like Pinkie.

Once on the other side, her eyes narrowed. "Tis indeed a path." She lifted her head then to look at the other ponies. "A moving house?"

Pinkie landed on her side of the tracks, reaching up without a care for personal space and wrapping a leg around Starlight's neck. Drawing her down more to her level and pointing with the other down the tracks.

"Yep and here it comes!"

The train blew the whistle shortly after her words.

And Starlight immediately lit up her horn, charging a laser beam that had all of them scrambling and yelling for her to stop.

"Tis a beast!"

"No! No! It's a machine! A machine!"





By the time they convinced her to get on said "beast", the entire group was exhausted. Thanking the patient train conductor and sinking into their booths with loud groans and sighs. Rainbow half hanging off the edge of one seat.

Starlight had taken residence on the floor, much to the other passenger's confusion. Thankfully only being two other ponies. No one else taking the trip this far out here.

Now the alicorn rested her chin in the window, still clearly on guard but more interested in watching the scenery move.

"Who knew reintroducing an all powerful alicorn into society would be this hard?!" Pinkie whined.

"And we haven't even left the area yet." Rarity added in afterthought, eliciting more groans. When Starlight looked back at them, she forced a smile and waved her hoof. "Not to worry darling, we're still excited to have you! It's just...there's a lot we have to catch you up on it seems."

Starlight looked back out the window and Twilight assumed she would remain quiet. So she was a bit surprised when the older alicorn started talking. Her own feathers ruffling in shock.

"Starlight has attempted to learn of the new world."

She didn't elaborate. Pinkie jumping up and waving her hooves in front of Starlight's face. "Annnnnnnnnnnd?" She prompted.

"Starlight has failed." The alicorn huffed, as if that was the obvious conclusion.

Twilight frowned. "Well no, not entirely. You seem to have picked up on some of the changes in languages! And you updated your signs really well! I think you're doing amazing despite everything!"

"Sides, maybe you just picked the wrong way to study." Rainbow sat up then, stretching out her wings before folding them back at her sides. "What did you try learning?"

The alicorn hesitated for a moment. A brief flicker of a sheepish and nervous look on her face as her hoof pawed at the floor of the train car. "...Starlight obtained...a gazette...when a young colt traversed the outskirts selling such."

"What in tarnation is a gazette?"

"An old form of a newspaper!" Twilight smiled, her tail wagging some in excitement. "That's amazing, Starlight! Can you tell us more?"

They all jumped when in the blink of an eye a fragile small stack of newspaper appeared floating in front of them. The paper was yellowing and torn in several places, brittle as can be, and the text was small and almost impossible to read.

It hovered in the air a moment more before Twilight gingerly reached out with her own magic to pull it closer.

She took one look at the date and bit back a startled gasp.

Rainbow hovered over her shoulder to look at it and groaned. "Ugh that's so much boring text! It doesn't have any kind of pictures or breaks in it either! How can you read that?!"

Pinkie jumped up from her seat, racing over to the other passengers who were still watching them all. Occasionally whispering to each other in no doubt gossip about the strange group.

"Excuse me, can I borrow your paper?"

The nearest pony to her gladly slid it over and she gave a thanks before bouncing back to Starlight. Holding open the newspaper to show the alicorn. "This is what they look like now!"

Starlight tilted her head, taking the paper with her magic. Examining every inch of it with a discerning eye. Pinkie pointing out stuff she thought was interesting. "Look here's the Appleloosa's Buckball scores! And oh, oh! Here's an article about seaponies! OH! And here's the comics section!"

She burst into laughter as she read one of the comics. "Isn't that one great?!"

"...Starlight does not understand."

"Well, if I explain the joke to you-it won't be funny anymore!"

"Tis a fallacy." Grumbled the alicorn but folded up the newspaper back to its original state and placed it atop the Earth pony's curls. She moved to place her chin back on the windowsill and heaved a soft sigh.

Aj gently pushed Pinkie away. "Why don't you get some rest, Starlight? This is probably pretty overwhelming right? Your entire life is changing in a single day!" She smiled when the alicorn looked to her. "I was once in your shoes, I once went all the way to the big city and tried something really new!"

"Yet, thou art here."

"Well yeah, turns out the big city wasn't for me..." Aj awkwardly laughed. "But the important thing is...if I hadn't tried it, I never would've known where the best part of me was. Where home was."

"I think it's real brave of ya, Starlight, to try this with us. Even if you just end up going back home in the end."

The alicorn stared at Aj for a little longer. Then turned her attention back to the window. Seemingly ignoring the sentiment but her ears remained a little bit more perked than they had before.

Hours passed and Starlight began to grow restless as the scenery outside changed from sloping mountains to more towns. Her posture growing tense with every pause at a station and a few more ponies boarding.

Confused glances sent her way more often and she drew herself closer to the window like she was prepared to jump out of it.

"We're almost to Ponyville, Starlight. I promise." Twilight tried to reassure her.

"Yours ponies look at Starlight with anger."

"No, no! They're not angry! Just surprised!" Twilight frowned, her wings fluttering. "I'm not sure how much you know, Starlight but...alicorns are considered very important. So they're surprised to see two of us on the train!"

"Starlight is aware of alicorns." Starlight's ears laid back at the word alicorn like she had uttered a curse. "Unwelcome."

Several of the girls exchanged looks at that, confused. "What?" Rarity asked, "Whatever do you mean, darling? The princesses are beloved by all! Twilight herself struggles to go out and about most days without a few fillies asking her a million questions!"

Starlight glared down at the floor.

Fluttershy reached out with a hoof, gently placing it over Starlight's. Her eyes showing all of the sadness she felt, "Starlight, no pony should feel unwelcome. No matter what. You did nothing wrong. Do...would you like to talk about it?"

Before the alicorn could answer however, a loud voice rang out, "NEXT STOP PONYVILLE!"




"Welcome home!"

"Welcome back, Princess Twilight!"

"Rarity, I'm so glad you're back-I have this hole in my jacket and-"

"PINKIE!!!"

Starlight was clearly unnerved by the reaction everypony received the moment they stepped into Ponyville. No one seeming to really notice the tall alicorn in the middle of the group, too focused on the individuals.

Ponies approached without any sign of hesitance. All smiles and laughter as they chatted about whatever came to mind. All shapes, sizes, and ages.

The alicorn having to lift up her front leg to allow a colt to run through as he happily laughed and was chased by a few other children.

Her eyes tracking over the various buildings of the town and the shopkeepers who waved to them excitedly. It was overwhelming, a stark contrast to her own village.

Rarity had taken the lead soon enough, guiding them back to her boutique with an excited ramble about getting Starlight into a dress. Some of the group laughing, knowing she can't be stopped.

Twilight spent the entire time watching Starlight, studying her every expression. Looking for more hints about what they didn't get to talk about on the train. She really wanted answers to all of her burning questions but she wasn't about to force the poor pony to spit them out.

Starlight had clearly been through enough trouble as it was.

She had to duck her head in through the doorway, which proved she was taller than Princess Celestia. Straightening up back to her full height inside the boutique but now far more guarded as she examined the place.

Her face twisting into mild confusion over the hanging outfits and the decor.

"Come, come! My bath is luxurious, you'll love it!"

Starlight didn't follow, making Rarity pause at the bottom of her stairs.

"Starlight Glimmer? Is everything alright?"

"...Rarity is royalty?"

That got a startled laugh out of the unicorn. Flipping her mane back with a smile. "Well! I wouldn't go so far as to say that but I certainly look the part! Whatever do you mean?"

Starlight gestured out a wing to the surrounding room and they all looked around. Rarity tilted her head. "Yes? Is there something about the shop?"

"Extravagant."

"Oh! You mean the decor! Yes well, I strive to bring the best to Ponyville! And that includes my own interior decorating! Why, I just had these curtains imported from Saddle Arabia and aren't they just divine! And they only cost me 3 gems each!"

Rarity waved a hoof then, beckoning Starlight forward once more. "Now! Really! Come along! We must do all we can to save your mane, darling! You'll feel so much better after a proper bath!"

Finally, Starlight moved to follow and the two of them disappeared upstairs. The moment they were out of sight, the remaining ponies all slumped to the floor.

"Shoot, we ain't even in Canterlot and I'm tired. Does Starlight got some sort of energy sucking magic going on? Even talking to her feels exhausting."

"Pretty sure she's just exhausting to talk to." Rainbow grumbled, crossing her legs over her chest. "She doesn't laugh at any of our jokes! She thinks everyone is out to get her! She can't even get sentences right half the time!"

"And she wouldn't even try the éclair!" Pinkie whined, "WHO TURNS DOWN AN ECLAIR?!"

"I'm more worried about what she said on the train..." Fluttershy muttered, one leg rubbing her other. "...she spoke like she was hated for being a princess but oh that can't be right?" Her ears fell and her wings tucked closer to her body. "There's no way someone would mistreat a princess right?"

"Well now, we don't know how she became a princess." Aj pointed out. "We ain't got no record of her or anything."

"I'm sure Princess Celestia will." Twilight cut in. "She has to! There's no way a princess just magically appeared and went under the radar this entire time!"

"What if she was born an alicorn?!"

"Pinkie, that's ridiculous!"

Twilight shook her head at the notion, laughing a little. Her friends starting up a playful argument about how a baby alicorn would work. Claiming ridiculous things like them having giant wings and big eyes.

She stood up, shaking out her wings. "Girls, I'm going to run home and have Spike send Princess Celestia a letter. Just to warn her ahead of time!"

"Take your time, sugarcube. Rarity's probably not going to be done for a while."

Twilight nodded and bolted from the boutique. Racing past the flower vendors with a quick wave of her wing in hello. Slowing only when she got close to the castle and gently pushing the door open.

In the empty echoing crystal hallways she could hear Spike humming a song loudly in the library. No doubt dusting as he liked to do when bored.

She made her way there and he spun around to greet her with a smile. "Twilight!" He jumped off the stool he was using to race over and hug her leg. Her hugging him back with her wing. "Welcome back, how did the friendship quest go?!"

"Oh Spike, you won't believe what we found!"

One explanation later and the baby dragon was staring at her over a cup of cocoa, eyes wide in disbelief. "You're right, I don't believe it. A fifth princess?! Really?!"

Twilight nodded. "A fifth princess who has been alive for centuries, has power beyond comprehension, and no one has even heard of! Spike, I've read the History of Equine Eminence back to front to back to front a thousand times and nothing even hinted at her!"

The dragon took an extra long sip from his mug. When he drew it back, he had a melting mustache still lingering on his lips. Twilight heaved an amuse sigh. "That's why we're taking her to Princess Celestia. If anyone can help figure this out, it's her. So, I need you to write a letter!"

Spike hastily set down his cup and grabbed a scroll and quill.

"Dear Princess Celestia..."




Twilight pushed open the door to the boutique, Spike nestled between her wings on her back. The dragon eagerly looking around for any sign of Rarity but quickly zeroing in on the strange new face in the room.

Because Starlight stood atop the pedestal by the mirrors, looking herself over in them.

Her coat looked so much cleaner, her hair still damp and several combs were being brushed through it still by Rarity's magic but it looked far healthier. Her hooves smoothed out and polished as well.

Her wings, though still weak, had had the feathers righted in place with a proper preening and it was like looking at a completely different pony.

But strangest of all was now they could get a clear look at her cutie mark.

Twilight would best describe it as a falling star.

"Wow..." Spike muttered and Twilight nodded in agreement before venturing closer. Her friends lined up around the pedestal and watching as Starlight turned this way and that. Making it a bit of a hassle for Rarity to brush her hair but she seemed fascinated by her reflection.

"You look amazing, Starlight!"

"...Starlight feels good." Admitted the alicorn, "Tis strange, to not feel the dirt within fur."

"I should say!" Rarity scoffed. "I had to drain the tub three times with how dark the water got! It was like you had an entire swamp stored in your mane!" She lowered the combs, sighing. "Please dear, do not go so long without a bath again."

Starlight looked down at Rarity, an emotionless expression on her face. "For what purpose?"

"For yourself! Yourself! You don't need to impress anypony but surely you should spoil yourself a few times! Now...let me get you a nice frock! Something to compliment your eyes!"

Rarity was about to head for the nearest clothes rack when suddenly Spike was burping. A bright green flame bursting from him as a scroll appeared. Twilight quickly caught it with her magic while Starlight tilted her head at them.

Her gaze raking over Spike with mild interest.

Unfurling the letter, Twilight quickly read it. Her face twisting into a grimace. "Oh dear, Princess Celestia wants us at the castle right away! Rarity, I don't think we have time for a fashion show!"

The unicorn behind her sputtered loudly. Hanging back up the dress she was holding with a sigh.

"Thank Celestia." Rainbow muttered.