• Published 16th Feb 2023
  • 219 Views, 2 Comments

Back on Top - Applefai



Soarin feels dissatisfied, he has let himself go and wishes for a change

  • ...
 2
 219

Fallen Star to Rising Star

Soarin wakes up to the pitter patter of rain outside his bedroom window, waking up he sees he is alone in the bed, Rainbow having left to teach at Twilight’s school, he had originally planned to be a coach there, but opted to be a stay at home dad. Getting out of bed, he went to the bathroom to do his daily routine. As he splashes cold water on his face, he catches himself in the mirror and is disheartened at what stares back at him.

His reflection stares back at him with bags under his eyes and what used to be a fit and muscular figure was now a chubby mass, his six pack takes the form of a tire and even walking winds him to an extent. Soarin lets out a solemn sigh as he wonders what went wrong and how it came to this.

As Soarin went into the kitchen he scavenged for something to eat, most of the food being grab and go meals or quick-fixes because of the kids, so much time was dedicated to them that by the time they could eat, they had only a little energy so a quick fix was the best option. The cereal shelf housed mainly sugary cereals except for one lone box, the box in question was a whole grain bran cereal with raisins. Soarin grabbed the box and prepared himself a bowl, taking a seat at the kitchen table and began to eat.

The house laid quiet, his kids having already left for school and Rainbow at work had left him alone with his thoughts.

‘When did I start letting myself go,’ the blue pegasus thought to himself as he ate, his phone suddenly ringing.

When Soarin answered the phone a familiar voice rang out. “Hey Clipper, It’s Zippy. How are you doing,” the voice asked as Soarin smiled.

“Hey, Thunderlane, I’m doing fine, What’s up with you,” Soarin asked as he put the phone on speaker.

“I’m good, hey a couple of the guys and I are planning on going bowling tonight, maybe have a few drinks, you want to come,” his friend asked as Soarin looked at the calendar, carefully marked with important occasions and events. “I’m free,” he finally replied after checking to see if he was free.

“Great, it’s been a while since we’ve hung out, you have to tell us what you’ve been up to, we'll see you tonight,” Thunderlane said as he hung up, leaving Soarin alone with his thoughts again.

Soarin returned to eating, soon finishing the bowl and washing it before putting it back into the cupboard.

He tries to think of what he can do while alone, but comes to a roadblock, not knowing what to do as he goes into the living room and switches on the television.

A game show starts to play as Soarin relaxes on the couch, answering the trivia questions as if he were there. One of the questions involved Wonderbolt history which sparked memories within Soarin; feeling nostalgic, Soarin brings out an album filled with newspaper clippings and photos of his time in the Wonderbolts, the first show he flew in and the first day Rainbow joined their ranks brought a smile to his face. He gawks at the old photos and how fit he used to be, his legs and calves were cut and his abs were tight, but now only used for daily routines.

As Soarin journeyed down memory lane, he lost track of time and soon Soarin heard the door open. “Soarin, I’m home,” Rainbow called out, snapping him back to the present.

“Hey, Honey,” Soarin replied as he got up and went to greet her, “How was your day,” he asked as he planted a kiss on her lips.

“It was fine,” Rainbow replied as she sat down on the couch, Soarin joining her as he muted the television.

“That’s good, Oh I think I should let you know, I may be going bowling tonight with some old friends,” her husband replied as he helped her get her shoes off.

“Oh, that’s fine, Soar, you deserve a night like that,” Rainbow replied as she leaned back. “Just don’t over do it,” she said with a slight giggle before Soarin started massaging her feet.

The rest of the day went by, their kids came home and they ate dinner together, Soarin helped his son and daughter with their homework from subjects they struggled in, before long it was time to meet his friends, so giving Rainbow a kiss goodbye, Soarin went out the door.

Arriving at the bowling alley, Soarin entered the building and heard the toppling of pins as ponies bowled. “Yo, Soarin. Over here,” Thunderlane called out as he waved him down.

Soarin approached where his friend was, and sat at the table, the lanes didn’t allow food or drink to be near them, so Thunderlane sat near the small café with Bulk Biceps and Fleetfoot.

“Hey, Soarin; what have you been up to since you and Crash retired,” Fleetfoot asked, smiling as he sat down.

“Not much really, just raising our two kids, Rainbow works at Twilight’s school while I stay at home,” Soarin replied.

Thunderlane had left to go pay for a lane, leaving the three of them to talk and catch up on events. “You really let yourself go, Soarin,” Bulk Biceps said, making Soarin blush and sheepishly smile.

“Yeah, but that’s life, when the kids were just babies we spent the majority of our time catering to them, Rainbow and I barely had time to cook for ourselves so we opted for quick fixes,” Soarin said as Thunderlane came back with the shoes, having remembered what size each of them wore.

The small group of friends began to bowl as they chatted and caught up on old times. They laughed most of the time, but also started talking about their personal lives.

During the game, Soarin sat down near Fleetfoot and saw a ring around her finger. “I see you’ve got someone special,” Soarin said, making Fleetfoot blush as she smiled.

“Yeah, I do, and he’s great, really caring and one hell of a cook,” Fleetfoot replied as Soarin smiled knowing who it was before getting up and taking his turn on the lane.

The rest of the night was followed by laughter and recalling the good times, Soarin showing off his kids pictures, and just catching up.

When Soarin arrived home, it was late at night and the kids and Rainbow had already retired to bed, Soarin himself went to the bathroom to prepare for bed himself. Catching a glimpse of himself in the mirror and Bulk’s comment echoing in his mind, he smiles. “Bulk is right, I have let myself go, I think I’ll cut out the unhealthy food and start exercising again,” Soarin said to himself as he left the bathroom and stuck into bed with his wife, putting his arms around her as he began to cuddle her.