• Published 10th May 2023
  • 4,885 Views, 111 Comments

Chryssie, Equestria's best 'Harmonic' Monarch - Redundant



Queen Chrysalis is under new management, and the new Chryssie swears to beat the Equestrians at their own game!

  • ...
2
 111
 4,885

3 - Queens that Delegate get Bored

I watched the construction outside from a window, for the third day in a row now. There was surprisingly little to do in the Hive, for me, at the current time.

Proboscis had wrangled a truly great number of Changelings to help him, as I had permitted. A swarm of black hung around the construction area like flies around spilled soda, carrying and building and generally zipping around the place.

The buildings themselves, or at least the ones left behind as the swarm moved on to construct more, were about what I expected. From the distance I could tell that they were made out of that same material that the Hive itself was, and I judged them to be of a decent height. I'd have to personally inspect them later, of course, but so far it appears that the work was going along without issue.

My mind wondered briefly to the infiltrators sent out to aquire food.

I haven't ordered any special storage place erected within the fledgling village, but that oversight could be turned into a boon. We'd keep the pony food in the Hive, for now. Have the ponies that may- that will live here associate the Hive with food - that'd probably help them grow to like my Changelings.

I think.

This is my first time building an economy from scratch, after all.

Giving one last look at the construction outside, I let myself slump on the window, looking down at the base of the grand spire, before picking myself up and strolling through the twisting and changing layout of the Hive.

Noticeably more empty since Proboscis requisitioned the workers I permitted him to, but lively nonetheless.

Drones, mostly guards, walked with relaxed gaits until they noticed my presence, talking to their fellows in cheerful voices or friendly debates. Every single drone I passed had somewhere to be once they finished bowing, every clique having a purpose.

The few, presumably, maintenance drones left behind by Proboscis were working double time, flitting this way and that as I passed, hooves seemingly glued to the Hive walls at all times. I took some time watching each of them as I passed, making note of the way that they smoothed and mushed the walls together as if they were putty before pulling back and striking the now hard surface to test its durability, sometimes letting out a disappointed sigh and returning to mess with that patch of Hive some more.

It was somewhat entrancing. If my subjects didn't hurry to get out of my way then I'm sure I would have walked into, over, or through one of them by now.

The wonders of watching others perform menial labour aside, not much else had managed to catch my interest as I walked. Passing by the infirmary was of brief interest, with a large amount of injured Changelings being tended to in a cavernous hall, but upon seeing the sheer quantity of patients I decided to keep walking rather than disturbing the doctors working.

My Hive was busy, my Changelings were working hard... and I had nothing to do but sit and wait for my great economic plan to be fruitful.

On my throne. Thinking.

Ponies need recreation, right? Maybe that could be step two of the plan...


Proboscis was finding his new task surprisingly manageable.

Insane, neurotic, and impulsive as the Queen was, she at the very least had the grace to saddle him with something that was actually possible to do. Building pony houses.

Plus, she was merciful enough not to strike him down the second he questioned her, as was tradition, and Proboscis wasn't dumb enough to push his luck.

Rounding up his fellow drones was difficult, most of them having found that their new diet had left them with more energy and thus their daily work was completed faster, and thus they had more free time - a rare luxury for as long as anyone could remember. He ended up having to threaten them with the Queen to mobilise them, and even now a few tried to slack off when they thought he couldn't see.

...like that one trying to hide in the shade of the building.

"Oi! You on site 12, in the shade! Get back to work or so-help-me-Queen, I'll personally drag you to her throne room and you will explain any delays!"

Proboscis smiled as he watched the drone shoot up and rush back to work.

His smile quickly fell as his gaze travelled over to some of the infiltrators who he rounded up to help too.

Those... they were harder to manage. Some with attitudes matching the Queen herself, and others who saw construction work 'below' them. They were relaxing under a rare, for the environment, tree. Hiding from work in its shade.

He went to them because they knew what a pony house was supposed to look like, and they very much did help him design the model, but now that 'their job was done' they decided to litter the construction site, not only not helping but getting in his way too. They were chatting amongst themselves, and laughing, and one of them cracked open a pot of Love for all of them to share.

Proboscis sighed in irritation. It wasn't like he had the authority to tell the infiltrators to go away, he'd only been given the power to get them to help him.

Sending a drone to ask the Queen to do it... well, Proboscis had some sympathy for his peers and wasn't about to send someone on a suicide mission when the more likely outcome was said drone 'going missing' than the Queen herself leaving the Hive to tell some Changelings to move.

Such was life.

At the very least he and all the drones he wrangled into helping him weren't in the Hive with the Queen. She's been eerily docile the last couple days, which usually signified that the upcoming outburst would be more intense, or cruel, or discreet, or, may the Queen have mercy, a mixture of all three.

He shuddered, imagining what his monarch could be doing at this moment.


So apparently Changeling entertainment options were very lacking.

I had come across a hatchery/nursery during yet another stroll throughout my Hive, and have planted myself down at a vantage point to observe the grubs and nymphs.

The two life stages didn't mix too well. The grubs just sort of... bumped into each other and hissed occasionally. The Nymphs were more interesting, forming into adorable little gangs of five or so and doing whatever, all under the watchful eyes of the drones assigned to this place.

The nymphs spent their time playing, as I imagine children of most species did, and so I this excursion doubled as recreation research.

One of the games was one from my own childhood, or at least resembled it. They'd gather stones and throw them at a wall, and the one that landed closest to the wall 'won' the game. There was much grumbling and cheering after each game, my heart swelled when I noticed that miniature pots of Love were swapping hooves after the games ended.

My nymphs were gambling, just like I did back in school!

I couldn't have been more proud.

Another game was straight up pit fighting. Well, not 'fighting', more of a scuffle, but violence nonetheless. I watched in amusement as the caretakers stepped in to separate the nymphs whenever they got too intense.

In terms of less organised fun, the nymphs were just generally being abrasive to each other. Sneaking up and scaring, getting into arguments, the like. This either ended in laughter or a scuffle.

All in all, definitely enjoyable but still incredibly bare bones entertainment for them. No toys or boardgames, nor any other aids other than the occasional stones to play with.

As... 'sufficient' as it was, my subjects wouldn't amuse themselves on stones and imagination alone now that they weren't going hungry and I doubted that the eventual pony citizens would manage it either.

Yet another thing I'd have to copy- appropriate off Equestria when the time came.

I settled down, content to watch the nymphs throw stones at the wall, for now.

It wasn't like I was needed anywhere. My subjects knew what they were doing.

Probably.

They'd surely tell me if they needed guidance of any kind.