• Published 30th Jan 2023
  • 917 Views, 51 Comments

Daughters of the Purge - Nebula Star



Having been freed from their ancient prison, two alicorn fillies find themselves having to adjust to a world that's far different than when they were imprisoned.

  • ...
3
 51
 917

Chapter 1: The Daughters

Chapter 1: The Daughters
***

The main room of the Golden Oaks Library was tense. In one corner two alicorn fillies huddled together, the older standing protectively in front of the younger and projecting a shield around them both. Opposite them was Spike, still laying back against the wall, a trail of icy spikes leading from the fillies ending just in front of him. Off to the side was Twilight and Captain Feather, the guard standing in a defensive stance before her princess while Twilight projected a shield between the fillies and her assistant.

“What do you mean, Spike…?” Twilight said softly staring at the two fillies stunned. “They’re daughters of Achlys?”

At the ancient alicorn’s name, the two fillies huddled closer, throwing her a fearful look.

With a grunt, Spike, pushed himself back to his feet. The two fillies’ eyes immediately went back to him, but he made no move toward them. “Perhaps I should clarify. These two are daughters of Achlys who she treated so horribly that they ran away. And when they were captured by the mortal coalition, she didn’t even try to save them.” The elder of the two, Ania, looked up at Spike in confusion. He gave them a reassuring smile and inclined his head. “I am glad to see you’re alright.” He told them sincerely.

The filly’s confusion only grew and the younger, Adikia, looked up at her sister, surprise evident on her face as well.

Twilight glanced between them and Spike taking a calming breath. “Alright, everypony just relax,” she said and Feather stood down, sensing that the danger had passed. The fillies didn’t move, however. Twilight turned to them and with a reassuring smile, moved slowly over to them and laid down on her belly in front of them, just outside their barrier, putting her more at their level. “It’s okay… you’re safe here,” she said gently.

Adikia looked up at her sister, a little bit of hope in her eyes, but Ania still looked suspicious.

Twilight just continued to smile reassuringly. “Don’t worry about Spike; he’s not the same dragon you knew anymore.”

Her piercing silver eyes flicked to Spike then back to Twilight. Finally, she reluctantly lowered her shield.

“Apple said that the only alicorns now were the princesses… that they were loved by the mortal ponies…” She said uncertainly.

Twilight smiled. “Well, I don’t know if I’m loved just yet, but I like to believe that I’m at least well liked. I am the princess of friendship after all.”

She looked up at Twilight a moment more, unsure, as her sister peaked out from behind her. “And… Achlys?”

Twilight’s smile faded a little, by what Spike said, they clearly had wanted to escape their mother, but at the same time, they were fillies and she was still their mother. Was it possible for ones so young to have lost all love they had for the mare that had born them? “She’s gone.” Twilight said softly.

“Dead?” Ania asked, wanting to be sure.

“Yes.” Twilight answered reluctantly.

Ania looked up at her for a moment seeming to process that news, while Adikia looked about ready to cry. “Good.” Ania said firmly, though there was the slightest quaver in her voice. Adikia looked up at her in surprise, tears shimmering in her eyes, but seeing her sister’s resolve, she gave a sniff, and leaned into her sister’s side while Ania held her comfortingly with one wing.

Twilight sat up and reached out to them with one wing, gently touching Ania’s shoulder. She looked up, still trying to keep a strong face, but there were tears in her eyes. Twilight just gave her a kind and sympathetic smile and after a moment reached out and pulled the fillies into her embrace. Adikia whimpered and began to softly cry, clinging to Twilight, while Ania simply let herself be held, taking the comfort Twilight offered as her tears also began to flow.

For a time, they stayed like that, Twilight holding the sisters while they finally let out the stress and pain from all they’d endured. Twilight couldn’t imagine what it must have been like, being on their own in a world where everypony hated them simply because of what they were and who their mother was. And at their age… Even Ania couldn’t be much more than fourteen, if she was even that old. So she held them, offering them what comfort she could, while resolving to ensure that they never had to suffer such hardships again.

“You fillies have had a very rough time, haven’t you?” She said softly, filling her voice with understanding. “But you’re safe now. I promise you’re safe here. You don’t have to run any longer. And you don’t have to be afraid.”

Ania sniffed softly, then finally reached up, returning the embrace. Twilight smiled, holding them for a few moments more before finally releasing them, and letting them sit back in front of her looking up at her. Seeing how much pain and uncertainty the fillies had endured clear in their eyes, she made a decision.

“You two can stay with me;” she said kindly. “Though, it might be a little crowded until my new place is finished.”

“I can move my things to the basement, and they can take my room for now.” Spike offered from across the room. Ania tensed, looking at him sharply, something that didn’t go unnoticed by the dragon.

He just smiled though, not letting it offend him. “Would it make you more comfortable if I went out for a while?” He asked her gently.

She looked back for a moment before giving a small nod.

“Okay.” He said softly. “I’ll just check on Trixie; help her get her wagon parked off the road.”

Twilight nodded. “Alright, thank you, Spike.”

He nodded and quickly stepped out. Once he was gone, Ania seemed to relax a little more.

“He’s lived a whole other life since you knew him.” Twilight told the fillies gently. “He really isn’t the same dragon you knew anymore.”

Ania reluctantly nodded, but Adikia looked up curiously. “What dost thou mean?” She hadn’t said much so far, but Twilight noticed her voice had a musical quality similar to Sweetie Belle’s.

“Well, it’s a bit of a story, but basically Achlys made him a baby again and enclosed him in an egg, without his memories. Then I ended up hatching him and raising him. He’s a very different dragon now, even after he regained his memories. He’s not the dragon you knew anymore, trust me.”

Ania hesitated but finally looked to her little sister.

Adikia looked up at her and nodded.

“He… he did not treat us badly.” Ania said softly. “But he was not kind.”

“He has changed.” Twilight assured her. “I’m sure he was sincere when he said he was glad to see you’re alright.”

Ania hesitated a moment more. “Alright.”

Twilight smiled warmly and gently placed a wing on her shoulder. “You’ll see, he really has changed.” She said, then stood. “Anyway, like I said, you can stay here for now, so make yourselves at home. I need to talk to Trixie about something before she runs off again, and I’ll need to speak with Daring Do when she comes back as well. So for now, why don’t you just take some time to relax. There’s plenty of books to read if you like, or… um…” Twilight looked around realizing there wasn’t much else for fillies to do in her library. Fortunately, she was saved from trying to think of more when Ania looked around at the shelves.

“Is there a book about this land… Apple said it is called Equestria?”

“Oh! Yes, of course;” she got to her hooves and went over to one of the shelves. “Here we are, this book has an excellent overview of Equestria’s history for foals,” she said levitating the tome off the shelf. “It’s a good place to start.”

Ania took the book in her own magic, levitating it down so Adikia could see the cover that depicted the Equestrian flag.

“Why don’t you go ahead and read that. You’ll see; the ponies of this land worked hard to make it a place where all ponies can live together in harmony,” Twilight told them with a warm smile. “And it is quite a story.”

Ania looked skeptical, but opened the book to the first page. “It is written in common ponish?” She asked in surprise.

Twilight was confused for a moment then realized why she was surprised. “Oh, yes, ponies stopped writing books in old ponish only a decades or so after the princesses took the throne. Princesses Celestia and Luna wanted knowledge to be available to all ponies, so they didn’t want books to be written in a language that only the scholars still learned. Ponies stopped using old ponish all together by the end of the first century of the sisters’ rule. Now days the only ponies who ever learn old ponish are historians studying ancient history.”

Ania looked at her for a moment, then nodded. “That is good. Knowledge should not be horded… even mother believed so.” The last was added almost too softly to hear.

Twilight gave her a reassuring smile. “Why don’t you and your sister go ahead and read that; take some time to relax. If you have any questions, I’ll be in just the other room; I just need to talk to Trixie about something.”

She looked up and nodded once more then together the sisters went over to one of the library’s nooks where there were a few cushions where they could relax and read.

~~~

Daring landed on the porch of the impressive cloud home, following one of her biggest fans, and being honest with herself, one of the few ponies she considered a friend. After reuniting Apple Bloom with her family, she’d suggested they give the family some privacy, and go somewhere away from the town. That was when Rainbow had suggested they go to her place, saying it was on the edge of town. She’d wanted to learn more about Rainbow anyway, so she’d agreed. “Nice place.”

Rainbow grinned. “Yeah, my parents got it for me when I told them I wanted to move to Ponyville,” she said as she opened the door. “Celestia knows, I couldn’t afford it myself. Not on a weather-pony’s salary.”

“So you work as a weather pony?” Daring asked curiously.

“Uh… yeah.” Rainbow said sounding a little embarrassed.

“Hey, if it pays the bills…” Daring said with a shrug. “I had to work all kinds of odd jobs when I was first starting out. I wasn’t able to get any actual archeology work even with my degrees. Until I wrote my first book, I was flat broke most the time. Ever notice how I never stayed in any hotels and flew everywhere myself for my first few adventures?”

Rainbow blinked. “Heh, I never really noticed, but yeah, you didn’t, did you?”

Daring shook her head. “Nope, like I said, flat broke. But then I published my first book, and you know how that went.”

“Yeah… Come on in.” Rainbow said, opening the door and stepping inside herself.

Daring followed looking around. There seemed to be two definite themes to Rainbow’s home. The first was obvious; rainbows. But the other, the other seemed to be racing, or perhaps stunt flying. There was the trophy case against one wall in the livingroom with an impressive number of trophies and ribbons. A few little statuettes of pegasi in flight were placed here and there throughout the room; likely specific pegasi athletes, though Daring doubted she’d recognize any now days. She hadn’t really followed any sports since her college days. There was one framed poster she recognized though; she doubted there was a pony in Equestria who wouldn’t recognize that particular flight suit. “The Wonderbolt’s huh?”

“Yeah, I’m actually in the Reserves right now.” Rainbow said proudly.

“Really? I suppose that makes sense; Apple Bloom did tell me you were the one that did the sonic rainboom a few years back. “I heard about it, of course, but I never made the connection that that was you.”

She grinned. “I could show you if you want?”

“Maybe later. I don’t really want to call attention to myself while I’m here.”

“Oh, right.”

Daring sat down on one of the couches, glad to relax after helping pull Trixie’s wagon.

“So, how’d you end up with Bloom anyway?” Rainbow asked, sitting down opposite her.

“We both stumbled upon the same ancient ruin out in the Everfree.” Daring told her.

“What, the castle?”

“Nah, older than that. Do you know about the purge?”

“Yeah… did you find Achlys’ prison? Is that where Apple Bloom went!?”

“No this was a different one, still intact.” Daring told her.

Rainbow’s eyes went wide, “You found an intact alicorn prison!? Holy… you’ve got to tell Twilight!”

“Relax, I already told her the basics, and I’ll be going back over there to give her more details later.”

“Oh… good.”

“It was strange actually, there was this pull, that I felt near the place, drawing me in. Apple Bloom felt it too, that’s why she went to investigate. Have to say I was shocked when I saw a young filly exploring what I knew was likely an extremely dangerous ruin in the middle of the deadliest forest in Equestria.” Daring told her going on to describe how she’d first encountered the filly and how their first meeting had gone.



“She did what!” Rainbow gasped, wide eyed.

“She cut her own foreleg off right in front of me.” Daring repeated. “Then she reversed time to reattach it.”

“Seriously!?”

“Just wait until I get to what happened with Trixie later…”

“Trixie!? How did Trixie get involved?”

“I’m getting to it…” Daring said, going on with her story.



“She got decapitated!?”

“Yep, the blade sliced through her neck like butter. I’ll never forget Apple Bloom’s reaction either; she just stared wide eyed for a moment then said, ‘Yeah… I’ll be turning back time now.’ And then Trixie went and walked into the trap again before we could stop her and she lost her head a second time! After that Apple Bloom took us back even further and we both tackled her before she could make it three.”

“Dang, the more I hear about Bloom’s magic, the more incredible it becomes.”

Daring snorted. “Tell me about it. I tell you, I was so glad that I was the one that figured out that last trap; I was beginning to feel a bit useless.”



“You accidentally triggered the release!? You mean they got out!” Rainbow jumped to her hooves, wings extended.

Daring nodded. “Yep, two innocent little fillies that had been imprisoned for the terrible crime of being Alicorns.”

She blinked. “What, really?”

“We found a message left in the prison by Starswirl himself that indicated that they were innocent and it sounded like he had them imprisoned to protect them. I think he was hoping they’d be released in a time that the world would be more tolerant of alicorns.”

“Huh… so where are they now?” She asked relaxing and sitting back down.

“We left them with Princess Twilight for now.” Daring told her. “Anyway, that’s pretty much it. With Trixie’s wagon we brought Apple Bloom and the two alicorn fillies back to Ponyville, stopping by the Princess’s place to tell her what happened. And find out where Apple Bloom lived since she had fallen asleep by then.”

“So that’s when Captain Feather contacted us?”

“Probably, she said she sent word as soon as she knew Apple Bloom was there. I take it there’d been quite a search for her?”

Rainbow nodded. “Me, the Apples, Apple Bloom’s friends, and pretty much Twilight’s entire guard. She ran off last night after getting in a fight with each of her two closest friends. Then Rekaj; he’s the dragon that gave Apple Bloom her magic…”

“That didn’t look like any dragon magic I’ve ever heard of,” Daring said with a raised brow.

“Yeah, he’s apparently from another dimension or something,”

“What!?”

“Yep, I think Twilight said his world is called Yuvari, or something like that.” Rainbow told her. “But anyway, he said he’d sensed a safety spell he’d taught her activating over and over. The spell turns back time when she dies, so that meant she was dying over and over, and he said she was probably doing it on purpose.”

Daring winced. “She did say she’d spent most the night dying over and over. Why would she do that though?”

“Rekaj said she was probably trying to get used to dying.” Rainbow said and shrugged, not really understanding it herself. “He apparently did the same thing when he first made the spell.”

Daring frowned and shook her head. “Well she seems like a great filly. She was determined to take the danger all on herself and make sure nopony else got hurt.”

“Yeah, Bloom and her friends are pretty awesome fillies.” Rainbow agreed. “Sounds like you had a bit of an adventure; you going to write a book about this one?”

“Heh, it will be almost impossible to keep my secret if I do. But then including you in the last book probably already made that a moot point anyway,” Daring said sounding a little resigned. “Have to admit, I had no idea how famous you and your friends were when I included you.”

Rainbow rubbed the back of her neck laughing sheepishly. “Yeah, I uh, never really thought about that.”

Daring shrugged. “Well, what’s done is done. I’m actually surprised I haven’t heard anything about it yet. Doubt it will last much longer. Pretty soon either ponies will figure out that I’m real, or they’ll start accusing A.K. Yearling of selling out and putting a famous fan in her books… Not sure which is worse.”

“Sorry.”

Daring gave a rueful laugh. “It’s not your fault. I’m the one that put you in the book after all, heck I even put you on the cover. I could have changed you and your friends’ descriptions, but I didn’t.” She sighed. “Maybe it’s for the best. The princess said she may have a mission for me, checking on the other prisons the scrolls we brought back talk about. It’s probably going to get pretty difficult to keep my secret if I take it.”

“Making sure none of those alicorns escape is pretty important.” Rainbow told her. “Just one almost took over Equestria, we barely managed to beat her. Only reason we did was because Princess Luna pretended to be on her side so she could put a sword through her.”

“Yeah, that’s why I’m probably going to do it… maybe it’s about time I let my secret out. I just hope none of my fans are dumb enough to go running around the jungle trying to find the places I’ve been.”

“Heh, yeah…” Rainbow said rubbing the back of her neck.

Daring smirked. “You’re not one I’d worry about out there. Why don’t you tell me about some of your adventures? I mean I saw the official story about the return of Nightmare Moon, but that’s not the same as hearing a first hoof account.”

“Oh yeah! That was pretty awesome. You see, the main Summer Sun Celebration was here in Ponyville that year and we were going all out! I was in charge of keeping the sky clear, but that was a piece of cake, so I had most my day free. I was practicing some new stunts, when one… didn’t quite go how I planned. I crashed right into a unicorn I’d never met before and we both ended up in this huge mud puddle… that’s how I met Twilight Sparkle…”

~~~

“She had my face!” The shout echoed through the streets; the voice’s owner clearly hysterical.

She didn’t hear the reply of the officer they were speaking to from her hiding place, but she was nearly as panicked herself. Two of her friends were nearby keeping watch trying to help her get away before things got worse. One thing they all knew; this was going to complicate things.

Author's Note:

So finally, here's the next story in the Alicorn Imperium universe. As I usually try to do, I've got a head start on the chapters so I'll be releasing the first few one per week until I get caught up.