• Published 23rd Jan 2023
  • 1,163 Views, 43 Comments

My Little Pony: Dark Star - WestRail642fan

  • ...
2
 43
 1,163

Chapter #30: A Girl's Night Out

Chapter Thirty.
A Girl's Night Out.

"You sure you want me to join you and your friends for a night out?" Opaline asked Sunny as the orange mare brushed her own mane.

"Yea, Mom! I wanna explore the empire, it’s also a new opportunity to see some parts of old Equestria." Sunny replied, smiling beaming widely, "Besides, this is my heritage after all." She giggled.

"Alright, I'll come with you, but I'm not exactly a party animal like your friends." Opaline smiled, ruffling Sunny's mane.

"Mom..." Sunny groaned, "I just brushed that..." She huffed her cheeks.

"All huffy when mad, just like your father… he used to get angry over the smallest things" Opaline grinned, pinching Sunny's cheeks.

"Mom!" Sunny protested as she blushed bright red.

"Oh hush Stellar~" Opaline giggled.


"So, where should we go first?" Sunny asked, looking at a map of the city outside a closed travel kiosk.

"Ooooh! Theme Park! Theme Park!" Izzy pointed at the map.

"No! Skate park!" Zipp shouted, pointing at the map also, "Skate parks are AWESOME!!!" The pegasus added in an excited tone as she extended her wings and flew around excitedly before landing back down.

"Ladies..." Shooting Star said, placing her hooves on Izzy and Zipp's shoulders, "You're our guests, it's only fit that we should you all around."

"Eh, you're the boss." Pipp shrugged.

"Lillian, if you're thinking of the place I'm thinking, it's a no from me." Flurry shook her hoof in disgust.

"C'mon Flurry. It'll be fun." Shooting Star wriggled her eyebrows.

"Urgh..." Flurry rolled her eyes, "Fine..." She lamented.

"Don't tell me you still go to that bar, especially after all the fights you would end up in, Lillian." Opaline frowned, long-dormant memories filling her mind.

"If I remember correctly, Lean Machine, you also used to end up in some of the fights." Shooting Star smugly replied.

"Only because I was defending my friend." Opaline pouted.

"Whatever you say, Grandma." Shooting Star patted Opaline on the head.

"I WAS NINE YEARS YOUNGER THAN YOU!" Opaline fumed, steam visibly leaving her ears, "Anyways, let’s have a good evening." She added, placing on a large hat and sunglasses.

"Alright, let’s make this a night we shall never forget girls!" Sunny said with excitement in her voice as she trotted down the street.

Zipp glanced back at Opaline a snickered, "Someone's scared of being recognized..." She muttered to Dazzle Feather.

"Well, given what Flurry and Shooting Star both said, the Empire has been back for at least a year now, wouldn't be surprised if word got out about the supposed fire alicorn wrecking up the place." Dazzle spoke in a hushed tone.

"Yeah, I still don't trust her..." Zipp whispered to Dazzle, "She seems to know a lot more about this Dark Star than she's letting on." Zipp glanced back at Opaline, the alicorn staring at herself in the reflection of a store window.

"It seems to me that maybe Opaline is just traumatised by what Dark Star did to her." Dazzle replied, "So cut her some slack." The lavender pegasus added.

"Well, I don't like it..." Zipp grumbled as Shooting Star stopped the group.

"We're here~" Shooting Star practically sang her words as she pointed towards the small cosy looking tavern, "This is one regular haunt when off guard duty." She smiled, "C'mon in guys." She giggled, opening the door.

"Lillian!" Shouted the bartender with a cheerful voice, "I heard your father's back in town, drinks are on the house. Oh, you've brought some friends!" The stallion chuckled cheerfully, spotting the group of ponies behind the tall Pegasus.

"Yes! Meet Sunny Starscout, Izzy Moonbow, Pipp Petals, Zipp Storm, Dazzle Feather and... Hey, where's the other mare, the guard?" Shooting Star looked around.

"Oh, Zoom wanted to keep the boy's company." Dazzle answered, "Honestly, she's missing out." She shrugged.

"Take a seat everyone, and make yourself comfortable." Shooting Star turned to the group as they all looked around, Flurry Heart trotting over to a corner booth.

"Say..." The stallion leaned in closer to Shooting Star, "Who's the tall purple one..." He asked.

"Keep it on the down low, but it's Opaline..." Shooting Star whispered, "She's been alive the whole time... And she's a bit self-conscious of her new look..." She added, pointing at Opaline's wings.

"Oh I see... Not a word shall escape my mouth." The stallion winked, "So what can I hook you guys up with? Some popcorn and some soda for this evening?" The stallion asked.

"A large bowl of your saltiest pretzels and the strongest whiskey." Opaline spoke up from the back.

"The Guard Special then." The bartender replied, pulling out a large bowl and a large glass from under the counter.

"Is that wise, Mom?" Sunny asked, lowering her voice, "If ponies find out you're an alicorn, it’s gonna be messy." She whispered.

"Let them come." Opaline shrugged, using her horn to levitate a full bowl and glass from the counter and trotted over to the corner booth, sitting down opposite Flurry Heart.

"Ooh! Zipp! Look!" Pipp shouted, looking up at a large arcade machine with flashing lights, "It's just like that Just Prance machine from the tearoom in Bridlewood!" She beamed.

"Prance Prance: Evolution?" Zipp tilted her head as she read the name on the arcade cabinet out loud, "Don’t tell me you want to challenge me to one." She snickered, "You're gonna get your fluffy little butt handed to you."

"Yeah, no. I've seen how you dance, you act like you've got four left hooves." Pipp snickered in return, "Besides, from what I've heard you had a fluffy butt too, Marshmallow."

"WHO TOLD YOU TOLD THAT NAME?!" Zipp screamed in horror.

"Zoom talks in her sleep." Pipp smirked as Zipp scowled.

"I'm so gonna kill Zoom when we get back to the palace." Zipp thought to herself, fuming in the process, "Why'd you call me over here anyway if you don't want to play it." The white pegasus spoke.

"I so wanna play it, but we don't have the right coins for it." Pipp pouted.

"Quit acting like a filly, Pipp, I got you covered." Zipp replied, pulling out a small pouch filled with coins, "You're lucky I thought ahead and asked Lillian to exchange our money for the Empire's money."

"OH MY GLITTER!" Pipp squealed, "Zipp! You are a lifesaver!" The pink mare snatched the pouch, taking out some coins and slotting them into the machine.

"Wow, whoever that SLS is, they must be a pro." Zipp looked with wide eyes as the high score list appeared on screen, with 'SLS' claiming nearly all four of the top scores.

"Need a player two?" Shooting Star asked, trotting over to Pipp and Zipp.

"You dance?" Pipp asked inquisitively, "But you're so tall, how can you possibly be so nimble?" She added.

"Oh, is that so?" Shooting Star narrowed her eyes, "Flurry Heart!"

"Yes, Lillian?" Flurry replied, appearing almost instantly at Shooting Star's side.

"Hold my gear." Shooting Star asked, pulling off her armour, placing it on Flurry's out-stretched hooves, "You are going down, Pipsqueak." She added, stepping up onto the arcade machine's dance board.

"Welp, you're so dead, Pipp." Zipp snickered, "I like to see you win this one." She added as Shooting Star selected a song.

"I hope you're ready for a butt whooping." Flurry snickered as the countdown began.

Pipp let out a nervous gulp as she looked around for any way to bail out of this match. Her emerald eyes locked on the screen as the countdown reached 0.

As the music started, Pipp quickly tapped on the arrows as they appeared on the screen, briefly looking over at the taller pegasus, she was shocked at how effortlessly Shooting Star was at reacting to the arrows the split second they appeared on screen, not missing a single one, while she on the other hoof, was missing quite a few.

"How..." Pipp panted, already worn out, "How are you doing that?" She asked, trying her very best to keep up with Shooting Star.

"Years of practice my small friend." Shooting Star chuckled.

"Hey! I'm not small! I'm travel size!" Pipp snarled, slowly getting out of breath.

"Heh, whatever you say." Shooting Star snickered as the song playing drew to a close.

Pipp panted heavily as the song stopped playing and the scores were calculated.

"YES! HIGH SCORE!" Shooting Star cheered, flapping her wings.

"WHAT?! Mediocre!?" Pipp screamed at the machine, "Urgh! This game is rigged!" She snarled, clearly collapsing from pure exhaustion.

"Sounds like someone has a Skill issue." Zipp snickered, hiding her laughter as sweat trickled down Pipp's face.

"Don't you dare start, Zephyrina..." Pipp groaned, "I don't think I want to play anymore." She added, her hooves feeling like jelly.

"Wait, you're SLS?" Zipp asked Shooting Star as the taller pegasus typed out SLS next to the new high score.

"Mhmm, those are my initials, Shooting Lillian Star." Shooting Star grinned proudly.

"Wow, you're a total pro at this game!" Izzy bellowed loudly.

"Uh, thanks, I guess..." Shooting Star nervously rubbed her forelegs against each other.

"Stop being so modest, Lillian." Flurry Heart giggled, noticing that Shooting Star was trembling, "Remember the breathing exercises Mom taught you."

"I know, I know." Shooting Star replied, slowly breathing in and out. As she took steady breaths and wiped the sweat from her forehead.

"Hey, I don't want you dying from a panic attack." Flurry replied, "Pretty sure Mom would kill me if I let you keel over and die." She added.

"You ok?" Zipp asked, tilting her head.

"I'm fine, I just have Anxiety." Shooting Star spoke between breaths, slowly feeling her panic attack subsiding, "I think your Unicorn friend shouting in my face triggered this attack, no sweat, however." She smiled reassuringly.

Opaline sat alone at the corner booth, slowly eating the pretzels as she watched Sunny giggling with the other mares, "Oh, Argyle... I wish you were here to witness our daughter’s long journey..." Opaline sighed sadly as memories of her bond and time together with him began to flood her mind.

"Well well well, the rumours are true, Opaline Arcana has returned." A voice spoke from behind her.

"Oh great..." Opaline grumbled as she turned around to see who had called her out, "Hello, Flint..." She mumbled, this was the last pony she wanted to see.

"So you do remember me." The stallion spoke sarcastically, placing a hoof under her chin and forcing her head up, "Still the pathetic little mare who thought she could be a royal guard," He added, forcefully knocking her head down.

"Back off." Opaline spoke under her breath.

"What did you just say to me?" Flint replied darkly, grabbing Opaline by her horn.

"I said back off!" Opaline raised her voice at Flint, her horn fizzling.

"Oh no..." Shooting Star spoke from across the room, quickly grabbing a piece of her armour from Flurry and marching over towards the corner booth.

"Oh dear, oh dear, Opaline. What are you even going to do?" Flint chuckled, "Your crappy horn is useless, we both know that." He added.

"Hey!" Shooting Star shouted, staring at the stallion, "Pick on somepony your own size!" She bellowed once more.

"What the fuck are you gonna do if I don't?" Flint replied, looking directly at Shooting Star, "You're just a freak, you ain't gonna do shit!"

"Pick on somepony your own size." Shooting Star repeated, with one flick of her wrist, a crystal sword appeared from the only piece of armour she currently had on.

"Ooooh Yeah, really scary." Flint replied sarcastically, pulling out his own steel-bladed sword, "Look at that, I have one too. You filthy half-breed!" He spat at those last words.

"HEY! DON'T CALL MY SISTER A FREAK!" Flurry shouted from behind Shooting Star.

"Easy, Flurry." The bartender replied calmly, "Flint! You know you're barred from here!"

"Quit it, old man!" Flint shouted, not looking away from Shooting Star, "This is between me and the two freaks here."

"Say that one more time." Shooting Star said bluntly, raising her sword, "I dare you." She added.

"You are a freak!" Flint yelled, lunging at Shooting Star.

With little effort on her part, Shooting Star swung her sword. Flint looked in horror as the blade of his sword shattered into pieces, he turned to face Shooting Star as her crystal sword retreated back into her armour piece.

"Now, Flint. You better scram before this sword gets a taste for your blood." Shooting Star spoke darkly, not even looking at the stallion, "Lest you forget, I am the captain of the guard." She added.

"Lest you forget, I got kicked out because of you and that bitch." Flint glared over at Opaline.

"Well, maybe if I hadn't caught you trying to steal army hardware to sell on the black market!" Opaline snapped, rising to her hooves as her horn fizzled.

"I did what I had to do!" Flint shouted at Opaline.

"What you are, are a traitor to your Empress and to your Empire." Opaline spat.

"You're one to talk, fire alicorn." Flint grinned knowingly.

"What?!" Opaline's ears fell against her head

"Yeah, I know all about you, Opaline. Calling yourself 'The Great Opaline Arcana', kidnapping children to give yourself the magic you so preciously desired. Heh, you disgust me." He added.

"HEY!" Sunny raised her voice, "That's totally uncalled for!"

"No, Stellar... He's right..." She sighed sadly as her ears dropped, before quickly pushing past everyone, "I have to go!" She held back her tears as she threw open the tavern's door and took off into the evening sky.

"Mom!" Sunny shouted into the sky, her heart breaking into pieces as Opaline disappeared into the ocean of stars.

"Told you she was pathet-" Flint spoke before Sunny tackled him to the floor.

"SHUT UP! JUST FUCKING SHUT UP!!" She screamed in his face, her aetherial horn and wings appearing on her as her rage boiled over.

"Uh, Sunny, your wings and horn..." Pipp cleared her throat.

"ZIP IT! I’LL SHOW YOU ALL WHAT HAPPENS TO THOSE THAT TRY TO HURT MY MOTHER’S FEELINGS!" Sunny snapped at Pipp, her eyes glowing bright white. Her horn began to crackle in the air.

"Do it, Stellar. Give in to the anger. Kill the stallion." Dark Star's voice echoed around Sunny's mind. "Do it, Do it now."

Sunny screamed in anguish, quickly blasting a powerful beam of magic at the floor mere inches from Flint's head. The glow in Sunny's eyes faded as the floor smouldered.

"Uh... Sunny?" Zipp cautiously approached Sunny, gently tapping her shoulder, "You good?" She softly spoke.

"No. Zephyrina, I am not!" Sunny snapped, snarling at Zipp as her horn continued to fizzle and crackle, Flint quickly made his escape.

"Sunny, please calm down, you're scaring us!" Zipp raised her voice a little but tried to remain calm in front of her friend.

"Wha..." Sunny held her head, a sharp pain pulsing through her brain, "My head..." She groaned, her horn and wings flicking out of existence.

"WEAKLING!" Dark Star's voice screamed in Sunny's head.

"It's... Her..." Sunny fell onto her hooves, "She's... In my head..."

"Who?" Flurry and Shooting Star spoke in unison.

"Dark Star..." Sunny spoke through the pain, her head feeling like it was being crushed in an industrial press.

"We're taking you to our Mom." Flurry spoke bluntly, "She'll know what to do."

Without letting Sunny speak, Shooting Star scooped the orange mare into her hooves and flapped her wings out of the open door, Flurry Heart and Sunny's friends following close behind.

End of Chapter Thirty.