• ...
 2
 162

Chapter 7: Pinkie Pie and Twilight's trials

Pinkie Pie opened her eyes to see was with all her family for christmas.

“My very first Christmas” she said. “It was the first time they included me in their celebrations and oh boy, it changed my life. The joy, the laughs, the sweets, it was so awesome...”

Pinkie wandered through her own memories, going through all her birthdays.

“Having such a control over your own psyche is impressive” said a voice near her. “Then again, you break the very notion of logic...”

Pinkie Pie turned around and saw Gummy on the floor. This one was looking at her with cheerful eyes.

“You must be my consciousness” said Pinkie Pie.

“Close” said Gummy. “I’m the Spirit of Laugher and i’m here to test you...Let’s get to the point Pinkie Pie.”

Gummy brought Pinkie Pie to a day that she would have prefered forgotten forever.

“Not that day...” said Pinkie Pie. “I’ll never forgive myself for what i’ve done...I ended up hurting the young girl i was supposed to cheer up, physically and emotionally. The ones who requested the party, her parents, wanted to put all the chances on their side and called in another expert at party planning: Cheese Sandwhich. Seeing him doing my job better than me hurt my pride. I didn’t want him to steal the spotlight and tried to one-up him at every occasion, while also sabotaging him. The preparations were miraculously finished in time and when the party started, i challenged him at a goof-off. We both spent minutes one-upping each other, trying to make our guest happy. Then, during my final performance, in which i was standing on a big balloon, juggling with flaming sticks. I lost my balance when the balloon got pierced by a loose piece of rock. The flaming sticks set fire to the decorations and scared everyone. One of them hit the young girl and burned her arm pretty badly. Cheese was able to extinguish the fire before it got out of control and bandaged the girl. Let’s just say him, herself and her parents were disappointed at me. After that day, it took my years before i started planning parties again, most of them for my friends and family. I wished to be able to go back in time to change everything i did...”

“And i’m giving you the opportunity to do so” said Gummy. “I’ll send you back in time, to that very da....and she’s gone...”

Pinkie Pie had already jumped back in time, to that fateful day. She arrived an hour before she would get called by the little girl’s family to throw out a party. Since she already knew what tricks Cheese Sandwhich would perform and how popular they were with people in general. So, she decided to modify a couple of her tricks so they would perfectly combine with Cheese’s. She also decided to let him handle the decorations while she’d make the food. Then, an hour later, she got a call and answered immediately.

“You called the right person for this job, Ma’am!!” said Pinkie. “Your daughter is never going to forget that party!!”

She hanged up and headed to their house. She was welcomed by the family as they showed her their plan for their daughter’s party.

“We called another party planner to assist you” said the mother. “He should arrive anytime soon...I know you’re good at throwing parties, Pinkie Pie, but i want this day to be perfect for our little girl. You don’t mind it, do you?”

“Not at all!!” said Pinkie Pie. “I anticipated this possibility and prepared a plan in consequence.”

A few minutes later, Cheese Sandwhich showed up and was surprised to see Pinkie Pie.

“Cheese!!” said Pinkie Pie. “My partner in crime!! My amigo!! My party buddy!! I’m so glad to see you again!!”

Cheese smiled and played the game.

“Pinkie!!” he said. “The jelly to my peanut butter sandwhich!! The Bonnie to my Clyde!! How are you, darling!?”

“You know each other?” asked the father.

“Of course!!” answered Pinkie Pie. “We are friends since kindergaten!!”

“We basically have no secret between us” said Cheese. “We know each other by heart!! You did the right decision calling the two of us to organize that party!!”

When the parents left to go buy gifts, Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwhich looked at each other.

“Good job reassuring them, Pinkie” said Cheese. “But are you sure you can collaborate with me? I know you take a lot of pride being Canterlot’s only party expert. I mean, last time we collaborated for a party, you hurt yourself trying to impress the guests. Fortunately, your crazy antics ended up pleasing the guests and the birthday boy.”

“I acted that way out of jealousy and pride” said Pinkie Pie. “I saw you as a rival, a threat to my reputation of best party planner in Canterlot. But i evolved since then and realized that the client’s hapiness and satisfaction passes first...”

“Well, i don’t mind our rivalry” said Cheese. “It would be too boring if i was the only expert party planner in Canterlot.”

“I love you, Cheese” said Pinkie. “I don’t want us to be rivals, i want us to be friends and eventually lovers...”

Cheese was stumped by this declaration.

“I was thinking the same thing!!” said Cheese Sandwhich. “I knew we had a special connection!!”

She kissed him on the lips. Cheese was surprised at first, but quickly calmed down.

“Anyway!!” said Pinkie Pie, being her happy, cheerful self again. “We have a party to plan!!”

So, the two party planners got to work and started by setting the decorations. By combining both their expertise, they were able to do a quick and clean job.

“Next are the activities!!” said Pinkie Pie. “Kids will want to play!!”

“I already got this covered!!” shouted Cheese. “Bouncing castles, a slide, a swimming pool, a cotton candy stand, a couple arcades would also please the kids. I know it’s a lot of expenses, but it ain’t about the money!”

“It’s about making people smile!!!” said Pinkie, finishing his sentence. “But we still need to respect our budget...”

Pinkie Pie and Cheese went to work after deciding which games to settle on. Among the different playground toys and attractions, there were water guns, a cotton candy stand, two or three arcades, slides, a couple swimming pools and art supply in bulk.

“Now, we just have to prepare the food!!” said Pinkie. “Let’s do this!!”

“Yeah!!” shouted Cheese Sandwich.

So, during two hours straight, the pair made tons of pies and cupcakes. Then, Pinkie received a message from Mr and Mrs Cake that the girl’s birthday cake was finished and on it’s way. They finished everything with half an hour to spare. Cheese Sandwich used that free time to take Pinkie Pie on a little walk. They came back 25 minutes later, looking exhausted and satisfied

“For a first time, that was something...” said Cheese.

“Yeah!!” said Pinkie Pie. “I was hesitant at first, but turns out it was pretty good!!”

“We should do it again sometime soon!!” said Cheese.

“And bring more people!!” said Pinkie.

She looked at the Fourth Wall.

“Just to be clear, we’re not talking about sex here...” she said. “Cheese made me try a cheese pie and turns out it was pretty tasty.”

“That’s right...” said Cheese Sandwich. “But, did we? He he he”

“Oh Cheese...” said Pinkie. “Well, that’s their choice to believe us or not...”

A few minutes later, the parents arrived with their daughter. When she saw the food, the decoration, the games and everything Pinkie and Cheese prepared for her, she smiled with excitation. The parents, them, were as amazed as their daughter. An hour later, everyone was here and having fun. Then, later, Cheese Sandwich and Pinkie Pie did for the audience a performance they would never forget. When the party ended, the girl went to hug Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich.

“Thank you!!” she said, a huge smile on her face. “I’ll never forget that day!!”

The parents waited for her to go to bed and paid the two party planners.

“Wait, it’s way more than what we...” said Pinkie Pie.

“But you did more than what we expected from you” said the mother. “You went the extra mile to make sure her party was the best she had. You deserve it...”

Suddenly, around Pinkie Pie, the background disappeared. A few seconds later, she was in her room, with Gummy looking at her. She received shortly after a wave of new memories she made with Cheese.

“Now, can i go back to the real world?” asked Pinkie Pie.

“Yes, you may” answered Gummy. “You truly deserve your Element, Pinkie Pie.”

Then, she fell into darkness...In another place, Twilight opened her eyes and saw she was sitting in her classroom. She looked around and saw that everyone looked quite young.

“Could it be...my first day at Crystal PREP?” thought Twilight. “I remember being so excited that day...I was going to walk in my brother’s steps.”

“But it quickly turned into a nightmare...” said a familiar voice.

Twilight turned around and saw Spike sitting on her desk.

“Spike?” she asked.

“No” answered the dog. “I barely took the form of someone you’re very attached to. I am the Spirit of Magic...”

“And you’re here to test me...” said Twilight. “What is it going to be about?”

“Do you have a day in your life you wish you could change?” asked Spike. “Did you do something you regretted later on?”

“Yes” answered Twilight. “I always wanted to know what my life would have been if i integrated C.H.S instead of Crystal PREP that very day.”

“I’m afraid i can’t do that” said the Spirit of Magic. “Because it would affect the destiny of another wielder of the Element of Magic.”

“The other Twilight Sparkle” said Twilight.

“Exactly” said Spike. “If you went to C.H.S at the same time than your other friends, with the knowledge on friendship you now have, you could probably get them on your side. I have no doubt you would be able to change Sunset’s heart in the span of 3 years, before Twilight Sparkle of Equestria do it.”

“What if i didn’t change anything?” asked Twilight.

“Would you be able to?” answered Spike. “Is there something more personal, that only affected your life?”

“That day...” said Twilight. “When i turned into Midnight Sparkle and almost destroyed this universe. If i hadn’t been so obsessed by magic, if i didn’t let Abacus Cinch blackmailing me, if i had been more confident...Would that have major changes on the fate of others?”

“Yes” said Spike the spirit. “Without you turning into Midnight Sparkle, Sunset would have never turned into her Daydream form, which ended up being vital to win some of your future battles against powerful enemies...”

“So, i can’t change that too” said Twilight.

She suddenly remembered a day where she messed up and lost her first friend.

“Moon Dancer...” said Twilight, a bit sad. “I wish i never broke her heart...”

“There we are...” said Spike. “What did you do to lose her friendship that day?”

“I used her for my own benefit, then threw her away” answered Twilight. “I swapped our names on our sheet, because she got a passing grade, when i didn’t. I didn’t expect it to work, since my handwritting didn’t perfectly match Moondancer’s one. And it worked, since i got admitted to Crystal PREP. Way later, though, Miss Cinch revealed me that she knew what i’d done and loved it. She also told Moondancer what i’ve done to her to make sure i would have no friends so she could keep me in line.

“What would you have done differently?” asked the spirit of Magic.

“With the notions i have about friendship today, i would keep her as a friend” answered Twilight. “Since i know the answers of that damn entrance exam, i could score a perfect note, like Moondancer did. That way, both of us would be admitted to Crystal PREP and i would have a friend to survive those awful years to come.”

“Then, go for it!!” said Spike. “See you later!”

Twilight was sent to the day of the entrance exam. She was sit behind her desk and Moondancer was right next to her.

“Good luck, Twily” she said. “I hope both of us get to go to Crystal PREP.”

“Is that really what you want?” asked Twilight. “My brother went to that school and told me how bad it affect their students on a mental and emotional level. Your too good for such a place, Moondancer. I’m afraid our friendship won’t survive if we both end up at Crystal PREP. I should have told you earlier, but you’re important to me as a friend.”

Moondancer blushed. She looked in Twilight’s eyes and saw that she was meaning those words.

“I will be honest with you” said Moondancer. “I know how badly you want to go to Crystal PREP and that’s why i’m taking this entrance exam. I really don’t want you to face such an awful place on your own, Twily.”

“I won’t face it alone” said Twilight. “Because i’ll still have you as a friend, even if we frequent two different schools.”

“That’s true...” said Moondancer, with a smile.

“You should apply to C.H.S” said Twilight. “That school and Crystal PREP have an history of rivalry. It’s less strict than the latter and people are way more friendly. Plus, both schools are in the same town, meaning we can spend time together during weekends. And if things get tough for us, we have each other for support.”

“Right...” said Moondancer.

“One last thing!” said Twilight. “One day, you might meet someone looking similar to me at C.H.S. I need you not to interact with her...The fate of the world depends on it. Also, we might have to face off during the Friendship Games at some point. If that happen, i want you to not participate in them and not interact with me at all until the end of the games. It’s very important you do so.”

“I trust your judgement, Twily, so sure, i will do what you told me.” she said. “But you still have to pass the exam first, will you be okay?”

“I will” answered Twilight.

Suddenly, everything around her disappeared. She reappeared a few seconds later in her room, Spike sat on her bed. More time later, a flow of new memories appeared in her mind, memories of her and Moondancer. She felt a huge feeling of satisfaction and hapiness.

“So, have i passed?” asked Twilight. “Have i access to my full potential?”

“Yes” answered Spike. “Until next time, Twilight...”

She disappeared into darkness...