• ...
 2
 162

Chapter 6: Applejack and Rarity's Trials

Applejack woke up in the middle of Sweet Apple Acres. She looked around and saw herself, dressed up for school, as well as Big MacIntosh, young Applebloom and Granny Smith, who were behind her. In front of her was standing Winnona, her dog, who was looking at her.

“Hey...i remember that day!!” said Applejack. “It was my first day at C.H.S!!! I was so excited...”

“You are quick-witted, Applejack, Element of Honesty.” said Winnona.

“Winnona?! Since when can you talk!?” she asked to her dog.

“I’m not Winnona, but the Spirit of Honesty.” answered the dog. “I took this form because you are very close to your pet.”

“You are here to test me, aren’t you?” asked Applejack. “What is that test about?”

The spirit brought Applejack in the past, on a day that Applejack wanted from all her heart to never happen.

“It’s the day my parents died...” said Applejack. “A day i never forgot and changed me and my family’s life forever. So many time i wished i could go back in time and prevent this.”

“Do you know what led them to their death?” asked Winnona.

“Yes...” answered Applejack. “I, by accident, while playing with a lighter i took from my uncle, Orange Dusk, set on fire an apple tree, which then set another one ablaze, and so on. I ended up burning a quarter of the orchard, but luckily, No one was injured. Also, no one was around me when the accident happened, so nobody knew i caused the fire. They found out what caused the fire, my uncle’s lighter and of course, they accused him of setting fire to the orchard. After all, Uncle Orange and his family had tense relations with ours, so him commiting arson wasn’t surprising to them. I didn’t said anything and let him get accused of arson. He was forced to pay hundred of thousands of dollars to our family and it ruined him. Eventually, he came to hate our family and one day, while our parents and i were walking in the orchard, HE showed up with a gun and tried to kill me for ruining his life. My parents protected me from him and died. The gunshot got Big Mac’s attention and he knocked down our uncle with a shovel. Medias were all over the place and a lot of people wanted to support us. But Granny told everyone they didn’t need our compassion and pity and that they needed time to grief. As for me, i never told anyone the truth about that event, even to this day and on my deathbed. In fact, i swore to never lie again after this.”

“Well, you’re in luck, darling” said the spirit of Honesty. “I offer you the chance to do things right and told them the truth.”

“Wait. What?” said Applejack.

Everything went black and when she opened her eyes, she saw the orchard on fire.

“Aw, come on...” said Applejack. “Why didn’t she send me back one hour ealier?!”

She looked around her to assess the situation.

“I better get back to the farm and call the firefighters...” she said.

She ran to the house and bumped into Big Mac, who saw the smoke.

“Call the firefighters!!” shouted Applejack. “Our orchard is on fire!!”

He took his phone and called. Ten minutes later, the authorities and firefighters arrived and put an end to the inferno. Granny Smith assessed the damages done to their orchard and judged they lost a quarter of their trees.

“We found what might have caused the inferno, Ma’am” said a police officer.

He showed the lighter.

“That’s my lighter!!!” said Orange Dusk.

“So, you’re the one who set fire to their orchard?” asked the officer.

“No!! I would never do that!!” answered Orange Dusk. “My lighter must have fell from my pocket somehow and some kid, probably Applejack, found it and inadvertedly set fire to the trees playing with it!!”

“Leave Applejack out of this!!” said Granny Smith. “She would never do something like this!!”

“No, he’s right...” said Applejack. “I am the one who did it.”

They looked at her.

“I found his lighter on the ground and started playing with it.” she explained. “I burned the tip of my thumb and the pain made me drop the lighter on the ground, near a pile of fermented apples. As i was trying to numb the pain, i felt a intense heat on my back and i turned around to see where the heat came from. The source of the heat came from a tree that was on fire. I immediately knew it was the lighter who started it but, afraid, ran way. So, if you have to blame someone for this, blame me.”

Her parents were impressed by her honesty, while Orange Dusk was reassured.

“Since it was my lighter that caused the fire, i think it’s only fair for me to pay for the damages caused to your orchard.” said Uncle Orange.

“No need for that!!” said Granny Smith. “We’re assured for that kind of thing!!”

“Alright, then!” said Uncle Orange.

“So, what’s my punition?” asked Applejack.

“Since it was an accident” said her mother. “And since you admitted to have caused it...Nothing.”

“In our family, Honesty is always rewarded, after all” said Granny Smith.

Uncle Orange gave Applejack his lighter.

“There’s no gas in it, don’t worry!” he said. “It’s to thank you for your honesty, Applejack.”

“I’ll keep it as a reminder of this day” said Applejack. “The day i learned an important lesson on the value of honesty. From this day and until i die, i swear to never tell a lie!!! Might you all be witnesses of that oath!!”

Everything around Applejack disappeared and she reappeared in her room. The spirit of Honesty was looking at her with a smile. Immediately, new memories arrived in Applejack’s mind. She was glad to see that her parents were still alive.

“Honesty is always rewarded, Applejack!” said the spirit. “Your true potential is now awakened!!”

“Are they really alive?” asked Applejack, in tears.

“Those memories are the proof...” answered Winnona.

Everything faded to black around Applejack as she fell into darkness. Jumping to Rarity, this one opened her eyes and saw she was at an auditorium in front of an audience.

”I remember that day” she thought. ”It was my first time participating in a beauty pageant contest! I won the first prize!!”

“Sharp mind, i see” said a voice near her.

Rarity looked around her and saw Opalescence looking at her with her eyes.

“Yes, i’m the one who talked!” said the cat. “I’m the Spirit of Generosity. Welcome!!”

“The spirit of...Oh...” said Rarity. “Why did you took the form of my cat?”

“Opalescence was a gift from your parents for your performance at this pageant contest” answered the spirit.

“I immediately fell in love with her when i saw her” said Rarity. “But...”

“It’s also a terrible remember that you took all the credit for your victory from someone else” said the spirit. “You stole the design of your dress from your best friend, Coco Pommel. You broke her heart, that day and you also lost your best friend.”

“I felt so bad for what i did to her...” said Rarity. “I should never have listened to the advice that bitch gave me.”

“You talk about Suri Polomare?” asked the spirit.

“Yes” answered Rarity. “That piece of shit got into my mind, used me like a puppet. I wanted to win so badly that i let her convince me to betray my best friend. All she wanted was to have Coco for herself and she succeeded. I wished ever since to correct my mistake...”

“And i’m letting you the opportunity to do so” said the spirit of Generosity. “You learned a lot since that day, you got far in life. You are now putting your friends before your carreer and you can be proud of yourself. Now, it’s time to take everything you learned and do the right thing...”

The spirit brought Rarity to that day, an hour before the contest started. She was in the Pageant’s room, along with Suri, Coco and the rest of the contestants. Suri went to her with a fake smile.

“What’s wrong, Rarity?” she asked. “You look worried...”

“Well, the dress i planned to wear at the contest disappeared mysteriously, so of course, i’m worried.” answered Rarity.

“That’s bad indeed...” said Suri. “And you don’t have the material to make another one before the contest. Unless...”

“Unless what?” asked Rarity. “I can’t come with a new design in less than an hour...”

“You can always steal the design from another contenstant” answered Suri.

“No” said Rarity. “I’m not like you, Suri. I won’t cheat my way to victory like you do, so, get lost...”

Suri got mad and red.

“Have fun being a loser, then...” said Suri, walking away.

Coco Pommel arrived next to Rarity.

“What are you going to do?” asked Coco. “Without a dress, you’re going to get disqualified.”

“Then, you have to win the contest for me” said Rarity.

“What?!” said Coco.

“I’ve seen some of your designs and they far surpasses mines.” said Rarity. “Suri stole my dress, knowing full well that i couldn’t make another one before the contest and that i’d have to resort to stealing from another contestant. But i’m better than that...And you’re better than both of us.”

Coco was blushing.

“Then, give me a hand, Rare!!” said Coco. “You have no equal when it comes to crafting. My dress is incomplete right now, but with you, i can finish it in time...”

“Then, let’s get to it!!” said Rarity.

Rarity and her went to her studio and locked the door. A few minutes later, Coco left Rarity’s studio, looking confused. Suri immediately walked to Coco and smiled.

“Is something wrong?” asked Suri.

“Rarity has been acting weird with me” answered Coco. “I’m thinking she’s hiding something from me...But she wouldn’t, right? She’s my friend, she would never do something behind my back...”

“She’s using you” said Suri. “She know you’re better than her...I wouldn’t be surprised if she picked one of your designs for herself...”

“That’s ridiculous!!” said Coco. “Rarity would never...”

“Are you sure about this?” asked Suri. “She’s no different than me...She want the victory and she will betray her best friend to obtain it. If you want to know, yes, i stole her dress...and tore it to shreds. This is how you survive in the business, Coco...there is no place for friends in the world of fashion.”

Suri left Coco alone and went to her studio, proud of herself. Coco also returned to her studio, who was next to Rarity’s. She took out her cellphone from her pocket, which she used to record what Suri said earlier. 45 minutes later, Rarity came out of her studio and told Coco that the dress was completed. Coco entered and saw the beautiful dress made for her.

“You did it...” said Coco. “The perfect dress...”

“Put it on!!” said Rarity.

“You made it” said Coco. “You should be the one wearing it.”

Coco told Rarity her plan and she was on board with it. She put on the dress and left her studio to head to the main room with the other contestants.

“I knew you would listen to my advice” said Suri. “That said, victory will be mine.”

The contestant started walking on the podium, showing their dresses to the crowd. When it was Suri’s turn, she was wearing a dress similar to Rarity’s one, with Suri’s design. The judges were blown away and gave her a perfect score. This is the moment were Coco played the recording live, at Suri’s surprise. The judges were shocked by her words and disqualified her on the spot. Rarity entered in scene and impressed the judges with her dress. The judges gave her a perfect score and gave her the first price. At everyone’s surprise, she gave it to Coco.

“The prize should be hers” said Rarity. “Suri said there are no friendships in the domain of fashion, but she’s wrong...”

“Rarity is right...” said Coco. “Even if her dress was stolen by Suri, she didn’t gave up and wanted me to take her place in the contest. I designed the dress she is wearing, but she sew it from her own hands, in less than an hour. Yes, she could have done like Suri and stole my design for herself and take all the credit, but she didn’t...”

“As much as i value fashion, i value friendship even more...” said Rarity. “You can’t survive in the world of fashion alone, you need to have a friend to your sides. And Coco, you’re the best friend i could have ever asked for. It would be unfair to accept the prize if she doesn’t get one too.”

The judges consulted each other and after a few minutes, came to a decision. They handed to each of the them a trophy and a certificate signed by them.

“This certificate will open you so many doors” said Sapphire Shore. “The domain of Fashion need more icons like you two...”

They headed outside and saw Suri, crying, and being mocked by the other contestants. Rarity and Coco came to her defense.

“She made a mistake” said Rarity. “But how could she know better?”

She held Suri against her. This one looked at Rarity with emotion and gratitude.

“I understand what she did and why she did it.” said Rarity. “Her parents are total assholes who only care for her if she’s successful in life. But a friend care for another, whatever happen. I care for you, Suri and i want you to succeed in life...But you can’t succeed without a loyal friend to help you carry the pressure”

“Rarity...” said Suri, in tears. “I waited so long for someone to say those words to me.”

“Dry those tears, Darling” she said. “Because you are not going home empty handed.”

Rarity gave Suri her certificate and the first place trophy. Suri refused them, which surprised Rarity.

“No thanks” she said. “I appreciate the intention... But what i really need is a friend...Someone who believe in me...”

“Then, accept this as a gift of my friendship” said Rarity.

She gave Suri a heart-shaped pendant with a sapphire in the middle. Suri immediately recognized in it a Sapphire Shore’s limited creation and was overwhelmed by gratitude.

“This pendant was a gift from Sapphire Shore herself” said Rarity. “Apparently, my mom convinced her to make one for me, and Sapphire Shore only accepted because of the great friendship they had. My mom wanted to show me how much i meant to her, and today, i’m giving it to you to show how much you mean to me...”

Suri smiled and gave Rarity the scarf she was wearing.

“If you knew how much this gift mean to me...” said Suri. “I hope my gift will mean as much to your...Well, looking at your face, it does mean a lot to you”

“It is one of 10 examplaries made by Prime Hemmeline to celebrate the 1st anniversary of her company” said Rarity. “She only made 10 of those, and you’re giving it to me?”

“Yes...that show how much respect i have for you” said Suri. “You see, that scarf mean a lot to me, not because it was made by Prime Hemmiline herself, but because it was the only gift i ever got from my parents. It helped me get through the darkest times. But today, i don’t need it anymore, because i got something even more precious: A friend...”

Rarity smiled. Coco hugged them both, and accidentally made them kiss each other. They blushed and got away from each other, embarrassed. A few seconds later, the background faded away and she reappeared in her room. Opalescence was looking at her with pride. Rarity felt a bunch of new memories flowing in her mind. She looked down and saw she was wearing Suri’s scarf.

“So, i really went in the past” said Rarity. “I imagine i also awakened my true power, right?”

“Yes” said the spirit of Generosity. “See you soon, Darling...”

Everything faded to black and Rarity felt into darkness