• Published 16th Dec 2022
  • 508 Views, 17 Comments

Presence - Jamie Wolf



The cruise was exactly what Spike needed after the five years away from Equestria. But now he faces what present-day problems bring on his return home.

  • ...
1
 17
 508

Words

Bolts of pain etched their way across Spike’s wings. He tugged them out from under the sheets to let them breath the cool air around him. It was still dark outside, though the glints of a rising sun could be seen cresting the still waters. Spike squinted to see if he could make out any landmass of Equestria, but it was either too dark or too far at this hour of the morning.

Spike sat up and propped his back against the headboard. He raised a claw to his forehead in futile attempt to soothe the lingering headache. It was too early to go do anything on the ship, but Spike knew he would not be falling back asleep. Deciding to make the most of his time, he pulled the covers from his body and moved to the edge of the bed. He stood up on the soft carpet and shivered. It was cold this morning; the water of the oceans had yet to receive the necessary sunlight for his own comfort.

Spike rubbed the sleeves of his wrinkled button up that he had failed to remove the night prior. He made his way to the door where his suit jacket still hung. Donning it around his body, he felt the slight warmth of the formal attire. The room was dark, but Spike’s eyes were built to function a little in the blackness. He could see the outlines of the furniture silhouetted against the dark blues and violets of the rising sun. It looked sad. Spike had grown attached to this room in the past week. It was the nicest place he had stayed since his childhood in Twilight’s castle. He missed the luxury and softness of beds. Mostly, he missed waking up in the same place safely after years of light sleep on dirt fields.

Today was the day. It was time to face everything that had happened. Spike still had the better part of the day to enjoy his time, but by late afternoon he would be in Twilight’s throne room.

His heart twisted and somersaulted at the thought. Spike rubbed the back of his spines to cool the nerves. He did not feel ready to return.

He looked back to his wings as they drooped by his side. They shook as he tried to raise them to a splay, painful streaks searing down his back. The wings he had waited so long to grow were now dead and useless. Like so many other things.

Spike brushed his eye and let the wings sag. He pulled them back inside the coat to hide their dejected form. Reality was beginning to catch up, and the cruise was almost over.

Rarity. I need to see her one more time before this is over. Spike panicked a little at the thought of losing time with her. He placed a claw on the silver handle of his door. His other claw gripped the suitcase he had stored little in. Twisting the handle, Spike walked through the door one last time.



Rarity stirred from under the covers. Something had woken her, but how she wished it had not. Reluctantly, she opened her eyes to stare at the analog clock next to her head.

4:52 AM

You have got to be joking she thought as her eyes squeezed shut again. A soft thump thump thump sounded to her right. That must be what woke me she rolled her eyes. She slid from under the covers onto the soft carpet and stretched her neck. Pops sounded from her knees as she flexed them. Too old she again complained to herself. Rarity frowned and began walking to the door while rubbing her eyes.

“I’m coming, I’m coming. Please stop your incessant pounding.” She huffed out. Rarity opened the door to the dressed form of Spike. He had his suitcase with him and wore the same suit as last night.

“Spike? Sweet Celestia darling it’s 5 AM, is everything okay?” She crossed her hooves in concern for her friend.

“I know, and I’m sorry for waking you so early. But I couldn’t leave this cruise without more time alone with you.” His voice carried across the silent space in a deep whisper. Rarity shivered at the vibrations that tickled her ears.

“Spikey, you know we could have shared each other last night.” Rarity was still annoyed at his treatment of her last night. She had been completely brushed off by him, and now he expected them to lie together so soon?

“Rare—I. Listen, I’m so so sorry for how I ran from you. How I pushed you away. I needed you last night and I—”

“Spike,” Rarity interrupted. “It takes more than words to make up for that. I’m glad you’re here trying, but that was not how I expected you to act. If you needed me, you should have kept me there.”

“I know.” He muttered. Rarity felt moved, but she would not crack so easily to a flimsy apology. She deserved better than that.

“I’m scared. I don’t know what to do or how, and I panicked. It was stupid of me. The truth is, I don’t think I can last in Equestria without you, and I’m afraid of losing you.” Spike’s eyes were watering now, and Rarity felt her own begin to wet. Without a word, she opened the door and coaxed Spike in. He accepted the invitation and followed her over to the bed. They both sat down on it with Rarity pressed against the headboard and Spike at the foot.

“Spike, I know how you feel. I feel it too. I’m worried about you, about us for when we get back. I mean, tomorrow I’ve got a board meeting in Whinnyappolis. Already that’s a trek away from you. No doubt you’ll be called again to foreign lands; possibly even Norfandia again by next week. I’m so scared of what will become of us.” Rarity raised a hoof to her chest as though to rein her emotions. Spike stared at her as she spoke and nodded at her conclusion.

“Exactly. I don’t even know how to process what happened over the last part of my life, yet I have to tell Twilight all about it.” He bit his sister’s name out. His claw reached over and began stroking Rarity’s hoof. It tickled pleasantly against her soft fur, and she relaxed a moment.

“But I’m dedicated to making this work.” He scooted closer. Rarity moved into his arm and leaned against his shirted chest.

“Then you need to show me that, Spike. Froofy words are nothing. We need to work for this.” She consoled. His chin rested just above her horn as he began scratching her back.

“I know. I will. I am. Just please be patient. I’ve never done this before.”

“Neither have I. Just remember that.” She hummed against him.

They sat there holding each other quietly for a little while. Peaks of sunlight had begun dancing into the small window at her bed. The room was slowly becoming illuminated. Spike had not spent a night in Rarity’s room this whole time because his was always bigger. But there was a quaint air about the simple elegance in this room. It felt homier. Especially while holding Rarity.

“Rare?” Spike broke the silence.

“Yes darling?” She called back.

“I love you.” Spike held his breath as he said the words. There was no response for a moment. His heart began beating faster in anticipation. But before he let the panic set in, Rarity’s face turned upward towards his own and smiled.

“I love you too.”