• Published 30th Nov 2022
  • 921 Views, 205 Comments

A Dazzling Trio - Spyder27



Now that Adagio is engaged to the love of her life, she only has one more thing she wants to do before they make it official. She wants to find the other sirens she lost years ago and try to make things right. Will she be able to?

  • ...
6
 205
 921

Never Too Late

Chapter XXVII: Never Too Late

Well, I somehow did it again.

I have absolutely no clue how I end up in situations like these. It always starts with me talking to someone and then I get dragged into something I would rather avoid. Usually, Apple Bloom is the one to punish me for opening my big mouth by forcing me to help with some innocuous yet meaningless task. However, Twilight is the one keeping me here against my will this time. All I did was talk a little bit about how sleepy I feel today and now I’m being subjected to endless torture…

“Hmm… Well, we’re almost done with your physical,” Twilight tells me, writing down a couple notes. That’s an odd way to refer to torture. Sure, “physical” fits the bill of making me stretch in inhumane ways and test my muscles. Totally.

“Are we done yet?” I ask in a tired tone, hoping that I can go to bed finally. All I fucking want is a nap. Not like there’s much reason for me to stay awake. The hotel lobby is not the most ideal place for me to rest… Nor is it the best place to stand around, looking like a moron.

“Almost,” Twilight responds with a nod. “I still have yet to test the effects of Arcane Narcosis on your ability to run.” Run…?

“Uh, no. I don’t exactly feel like running anywhere. We can test that tomorrow.” Despite my statement, Twilight shakes her head, holding her hand up. Great. Here comes the whole science talk about how she needs to learn more about this. I honestly can’t care any less… I’m tired.

“I figured you would say that.” Twilight moves her finger in a “come hither” motion, making me raise my eyebrow. “This is important, Adagio. I just want to make sure everything is alright.”

The cool air instantly hits my neck as something pulls against my neck. Looking down, the purple fabric I am accustomed to is gone. What? Where is my scarf?

“Come on, Dagi,” Dash’s voice teases me. As soon as I look at her, I can see it… The one gift that means more to me than anything else rests gently in her hand.

“Dash, what are you doing?” I ask her in a low tone. Electricity sparks through my veins at this sight… “Give it back… Right now.” I hold my hand out to her, but Rainbow Dash quickly takes a step back, chuckling at me.

“You heard Twilight. This is important.” She shakes my scarf in the air, only succeeding in making me angrier. Dash takes a few more steps backwards, moving in the direction of the hotel entrance. “Three.”

“Dash, don’t-”

“Two.” Dash holds up my scarf with a smirk, taunting me to move forward. I can’t believe Twilight would plan for something like this. I’m tired, yet she is insistent on testing me by using my favorite item as leverage. That’s dirty… “One.”

Kicking myself forward, I grasp at my scarf, only for Dash to pull it away. Laughing, she runs ahead of me, right out the hotel doors… Fucking hell.

Sprinting out the door, I can’t help but stare daggers into Dash’s back.

“Dash, come back here right now!” I yell at her, disregarding how people may stare. The only thing that matters right now is getting my scarf back. Dash is going to regret going along with this plan…

“Make me,” Dash taunts me, moving further ahead. I’m not as fast as her. There’s no way I can win against her, especially if she uses her magic. This is unfair all around, but… I can’t stop. It’s irrational. If anything happens to that scarf, I… It’s one of the only things I have left of Sunset… I can’t just stop. It would be smarter to refuse to participate, but my feet won’t stop. Dash makes it look effortless. That’s not a surprise… She’s trained in this stuff.

Sprinting forward, I try to grab the scarf, only for her to pull it away again. We run past dozens of people, all of them staring at us. This is ridiculous. We look ridiculous, running through the streets of Houston. Dash suddenly turns into the road, running away just as a car passes us by.

“Are you trying to get me killed?!” I can feel my anger bubbling under the surface. All the while, she has a stupid smirk on her face.

“Nah, I’m just trying to have fun,” Dash yells back to me before running again, forcing me to cross the road. This chase is already boring. All I want is my scarf back, but this is so clearly rigged against me. Jumping over a trash can, I can already feel myself getting tired. I can’t let that stop me… “Hey, Sunset!” Dash exclaims, making me look up. As she gets farther away, Dash waves my scarf at Sunset, standing on the opposite side of the street. Rarity stands next to her. Sunset looks so confused that it makes it kind of… adorable.

Her eyes meet mine with a raised eyebrow. Time seems to slow in her gaze… My cheeks burn in embarrassment, but she gives me a smirk. As if she is trying to tell me something, Sunset waves at me, all while the rest of the world slows down.

“You can do it,” Sunset’s mouth moves. Not a single syllable can be heard, but I know what she said. It’s all too clear when she looks at me like this… “Go.”

Wind hits my face in an instant as time resumes at a normal pace. Slamming my foot into the ground, I push myself forward as fast as I can. The distance between Dash and I is closing. I can’t feel that anger anymore… All I can feel is her eyes on me. It causes a whole new kind of burning inside my soul…

Dash looks back at me just as I jump over a trash can, pushing myself forward. Her eyes go wide in an instant.

“What the-” I grab her arm, holding on as Dash increases her speed. I’m not used to running this fast, but I still grin at her. She turns a corner. It is hard to keep my balance, but it will take more than that to make me lose my grip.

“Give it back, Dash.” As soon as she looks back at me, I sprint forward, pulling my scarf from her hand. For the first time in this chase, I surpass Dash, running ahead of her. A big smile comes across my lips, feeling the scarf. The soft fabric reminds me of years in an instant.

“Okay, GG,” Dash calls out with a laugh, making me look back at her. We finally stop running, Dash snickering as if this is the most humorous situation ever. She holds her hands up in a T formation to ask for a time out.

“G… G?” I can’t say I’ve heard anyone say that before… Not that it matters. All that I care about is keeping my scarf.

“It means good game,” she explains with a shake of her head. “I really can’t believe you caught up to me. I was planning on slowing down in a few minutes, but I guess you didn’t need that.” Dash looks at me with a big smile, still chuckling at the situation. “We should do this again.”

“Dash, if you ever take my scarf again, I will burn that rainbow hair off your head.” It’s my turn to laugh at Dash’s reaction, walking forward to pat her shoulder. “I’m going to go to bed now. Do not wake me up.” I’ll need the rest. My legs barely feel strong enough to walk back to the hotel as it is.

=============================================================

Stepping out of the hotel, I rub my eyes a little more. I don’t think I’m fully awake, but that’s one of the side effects of sleeping so much. The past few days have been really tiring, but that’s just another side effect of Arcane Narcosis. I’ve probably been sleeping at least twelve hours each day. It’s surprisingly not as rejuvenating as I thought it would be… I finally finished draining Pinkie and Fluttershy’s magic yesterday, but that made me even more tired. It kind of makes me feel bad since everyone had to explore the city without me… After all my sleeping, it’s time to leave this city, even though it feels like we just got here. For everyone else, it’s been days.

For me, it was a matter of hours… All of which were filled with thoughts of Sunset.

“Alright, everyone. Are we double sure we have all of our belongings with us?” Applejack asks the group, a clipboard in her hand. She’s already counted our bags, but she always wants to make sure we didn’t leave anything in our hotel rooms. I didn’t buy any souvenirs, so it would be a little hard for me to leave something here.

“We’re sure, AJ,” Dash speaks up with a bored look, making the cowgirl a little irritated. Nonetheless, Applejack puts the clipboard back into the RV.

“If y’all are sure, then we can get ready to leave. We probably won’t stop until we get to Louisiana though.” Applejack looks at us after her warning before finally stepping inside the vehicle. As Fluttershy and Dash follow after her, Sonata turns to me as if she wants to say something.

“Adagio. I know you’ve been sleeping a lot, but… do you think you’ve got what it takes to narrow down where Aria is?” Sonata asks me hopefully. I look down at the broken gem around my neck with only one piece missing… Honestly, a part of me feels afraid to try it. I know Aria is probably fine, but… I have a small nagging feeling deep down. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try and narrow down where Aria is now instead of when we get to Louisiana…

“Twilight, can you help me with something?” I ask her before she gets to the RV, making both her and Sunset look back at me. “I… I need to use my magic once before we go anywhere. To try and locate Aria.”

“Are you sure? You’ve dealt with a lot of magic recently,” Twilight tries to warn me, bringing the last piece of my gem from her pocket.

“I get it, but I can handle it. Okay? It’s just a simple spell that won’t last more than a minute.” Even though I tried to assure her, Twilight still looks hesitant to help me. After a few seconds, she takes a deep breath, levitating the piece closer to my neck. Sunset looks at me with an expression I can’t quite understand. I can’t tell if she’s sad, neutral or something else. It doesn’t last long though. Sunset follows the others into the vehicle right as the same surge of power flies through my veins.

Sonata’s eyes look at me with a hopeful stare as Twilight holds my gem intact. This is the first time she’s seen my gem repaired, isn’t it? I definitely thought it was impossible back then, so I can understand just how inspiring the sight is.

Humming a small tune, the magic swirls around me, giving me a more vivid idea. It almost feels like the magic itself is tugging me in a certain direction. While there is no map, I can feel Aria’s energy somewhere… A place with a lot of people. A place that can give almost anyone a headache. It’s… big.

“New Orleans,” I whisper, opening my eyes again. Twilight takes the piece away from my neck, making me feel tired. “She’s in… New Orleans.”

============================================================

“My legs feel stiff,” Sonata tells me with a pout on her face, trying to stretch her lower body. That’s what four hours in a vehicle will do to you. I find it a little comical that she is complaining about this when she should have expected it. She rode for more than twenty hours with us just a few days ago.

“You’ll be fine in a few minutes,” I reassure her with a slight chuckle, unable to hold my laughter completely. Looking back at the RV, Rainbow Dash helps Fluttershy down from the steps, offering the same assistance to Twilight. Sonata finally stands straight, looking over at my friends.

“How long do you think it will be before… we find her?” Sonata asks me nervously, watching the RV as if her question is nothing out of the ordinary.

“Truth be told, I don’t know. I can’t narrow her location any further without having my gem fully healed… So, we will have to make a plan with everyone else.” Placing my hand on Sonata’s shoulder, she looks over at me in a confused state before nodding. “Sonata, I actually need to talk with you before we find her. Pinkie told me something…”

“Like what?” she asks me cluelessly. Sonata gives me an inquisitive stare, but I can tell she knows what I’m talking about.

“She told me you’re anxious about this.” Out of everyone here, I should be the most anxious. I hurt both Sonata and Aria years ago. Now it’s time to make it right and for some reason, I feel less anxious about it than Sonata does. This is not how it is supposed to go at all. “Sonata, I understand feeling anxious about this. I just can’t understand why you would. I should be the one dreading this meeting, not you.”

“You’re not the only one who has done things wrong, Dagi,” Sonata tells me with a small smile, avoiding my gaze. How does she expect me to know what that means? Does she think she did something wrong when we last saw each other? All she did was get a little frustrated at me.

“What do you mean by that, Sonata?” She keeps staring at the RV, despite my best efforts to make her look at me. “Did something happen? Between you and Aria, I mean.”

“A lot,” she slowly responds, feeling as stiff as a rock. She shrugs before sighing to herself. “It is… sorta similar to what happened between you and Sunset.”

I assumed the two of them were like roommates when Sonata said they lived together, but… I guess it was a little more personal. That would mean the two of them broke up right around the time I was trying to get on the good side of Sunset’s friends. They were together for a year, whereas Sunset and I were… Well, we spent three years together. Three wonderful years.

“What happened?” I finally ask quietly, not wanting to question her too extensively. Questions like why they got together or what they did together can wait for later. What matters is what separated the two of them.

“You know my restaurant chain?” she asks me with a curious tone, finally bringing her gaze back to my own. “Aria and I were pretty poor and… Well, I wanted to start up a restaurant. She didn’t want to do that and… well, we couldn’t come to an agreement. I kind of said some things I regret.” Sonata’s eyes move downward towards the sidewalk. I can’t really imagine what she has to apologize for, but it can’t be equal to all the mental abuse I put both of them through.

“Sonata. Listen to me. If I can come across the country to apologize to both of you, I’m sure you can find it in yourself to make up with her. All you can do is take responsibility. It is her option if she wants to accept it or not.” Sunset told me something pretty similar at the beginning of this trip. I still feel anxious about seeing Aria again either way, but… I’m sure we can do this.

“I’m glad you think so,” she mentions with a tilt of her head, still seeming unsure about my words. However, we don’t get a chance to say anything else as Applejack steps out of the RV. Sonata leads the way back to the group. Sunset looks back at me with an inquisitive look, but she doesn’t say anything. She just opts to give us a greeting smile as we come back to the group.

“Alright, darlings~” Rarity speaks up with a small clap of her hands. Applejack has her arm wrapped around Rarity, but that doesn’t seem to impede on the fashionista’s speaking ability. “Even though I know some of us are dying to take pictures and be a proper tourist, our main goal today is finding Aria. Thankfully, this shouldn’t take too long if Adagio can narrow down her-” Rarity abruptly stops speaking as she looks over at me. I can’t help but shake my head, pointing one finger at the gem around my neck. Until I get my magic back fully, that won’t be a possibility. “Oh. Well, um… It might take a little longer than we thought. Still. Our goal today is to at least narrow it down by determining where she isn’t. You know… Um… Process of elimination.”

Narrowing it down will be one hell of a task. This city is larger than Las Vegas in square miles. New Orleans is nearly two times larger than Las Vegas, so we will definitely have our work cut out for us. Unless I find a newspaper with her face in it, but the odds of finding Aria in the same way as Sonata is incredibly small.

“Um… Okay, fine… I have a suggestion?” Dash responds with her hand up, a hesitant expression on her face. “I wasn’t planning on doing this, but… I could run around the city to see if I can find her. Without trespassing of course, but yeah.” Rainbow Dash nudges Fluttershy with an annoyed frown. “Your turn, Shy. This was your idea after all.”

“Um, yeah. I was kind of thinking… Well, it was a silly idea,” Fluttershy responds with a blush, moving her body in place. “I could talk to the animals and ask if any of them remember her. I’m not saying it will be a fast process, but it could work better than asking around.” It’s a lot better idea than anything else we have on the table. From the expressions of everyone else, it seems they agree with me. “What? I-is that a bad idea?”

“Just the opposite, Fluttershy,” Applejack responds with a big smile. “That’s a great idea. I just don’t want you two to tire yourselves out.”

“How about another suggestion?” Rarity asks before pointing at Dash and Fluttershy. “You two will proceed with your idea while we set up our hotel rooms. Once we’re done, we will help with the search by asking around town. By then, you two should probably take a break.” Despite Rarity’s idea, Sunset looks a little… uncomfortable. I usually know what she’s thinking, but right now, I can’t read her.

“These are great ideas, girls, but there’s a couple things we need to work out first. We should all probably have maps of the city so we don’t get lost or cover ground one of us has already gone over.” Sunset reaches into her pocket, pulling out her phone. Within a few seconds, a notification buzzes on all of our phones. Curiously, I turn my phone on, looking at the text Sunset sent to the group chat. She sent two pictures. One of them is a map of the city and the other is a picture of Aria from one of the “official” photos of the Battle of the Bands. Even though it is a few years old, Aria shouldn’t have changed that much.

“Why would we use this picture of a map rather than a map of the city on the internet?” Sonata asks with a perplexed look, gazing down at her phone as if it is some puzzle.

“To mark what areas we cover,” Twilight explains, turning her phone to show her ability to edit the image. Pinkie looks at her phone with an excited grin, her finger quickly moving across her screen. I can only imagine what she is drawing. In a way, I can’t wait to see how Pinkie will show us what areas she has covered.

“Okay, I guess that covers the boring details.” Stretching her legs, Dash yawns while shaking her head. It’s easy to tell she isn’t excited about this. “This is going to be a lot of running. Good luck, guys. Gotta dash.” In a moment, the rainbow blur is gone to the wind, leaving a breeze in her place.

=============================================================

“Excuse me. Have you seen this woman before?” The light of the sun is dwindling. If there is one thing I can say about New Orleans, I would say they have great lights. Well, in certain parts of the city. Night is approaching and it brings a cool wind with it. As Sunset asks a local man, I can’t help but listen to some of the music playing at a bar across the street. We’ve barely made a dent in the city. While someone like Sunset would say that we need to stay optimistic, I feel a little disappointed. To be fair, I haven’t seen the areas that everyone else has covered yet. “Oh. Well, thank you for your time,” Sunset gratefully mentions behind me. It only takes her a few steps to catch up with me, marking her phone again.

“Another resounding no?” I ask her rhetorically, already knowing the answer. The two of us walk forward on the sidewalk, the music from the bar getting quieter. Sunset shakes her head as she looks at her phone more intensely. Despite the fact that everyone else went off on their own, Sunset chose to walk with me. “Sunset?” My attempt to ask for her attention gives me a small hum of acknowledgement from her. Her attention is still focused on the map. “Why did you want to come with me? I could do this alone and we could cover more ground.” Not to mention it is probably awkward for her to spend so much time with me…

“I… figured you could use some support,” Sunset answers me with a busy tone to her voice, tapping her phone a little more. Finally, she brings her eyes up to me, giving an apologetic nod to her phone. “I know this kind of situation. Approaching an old friend to try and mend things. I did the same thing with Princess Celestia. It is hard without having someone’s support.”

“I have Sonata,” I whisper in response, trying to get a reaction out of her. She’s spent a lot of time with me the past few days when she could have… Regardless, she’s certainly not acting like someone who hates my company. Or someone who doesn’t trust me.

“Sonata is coming into this situation at the same angle you are. It is just as awkward for her. Despite everything that has… happened. I still want to help.” Sunset diverts her gaze to the street ahead of us. A beautiful hue of pink and orange bids farewell to the sun’s last light.

“That’s the thing with you, Sunset. You can’t help yourself from trying to make the world a better place…” Walking a few steps ahead of her, I sigh a little to myself. It makes sense. She always has that urge to help others, no matter how badly they hurt her before. That’s a lesson she’s learned and sometimes keeps her from asking for what she really wants. “It’s admirable,” I whisper, keeping my eyes ahead of us. Even though my heart wishes for it, this is no sign of some better outcome. She just wants to help. Just like every other time. It doesn’t mean things will be the same once we get back to Canterlot City…

A large gust of wind hits my back, making my hair flow forward for a second. Something grabs my shoulder, spinning me around at the speed of sound. Blinking a couple times, I see Dash stare right at me with a frantic look on her face, holding both of my shoulders.

“Sunset! Dagi! We found her!”

===========================================================

I can’t believe my eyes. Surely this has to be a mistake. We’re on the very outskirts of New Orleans and the only thing in front of me is some seedy looking club. This part of town isn’t the place I would imagine Aria being in. This is a mistake. It has to be… Sonata did well for herself. There was no reason to worry about Aria. Until now.

“I’m sorry, but who found her here of all places?” I ask in disbelief, throwing my arms forward. I was in a very similar situation a few years back, but… No. I don’t want to believe she is actually here.

“Um… Well, a rat told me he saw her here. He seemed to have a good memory,” Fluttershy explains. Her body language tells me she is clearly nervous by my attitude, but honestly? I just hope she’s wrong…

“We’ll see the validity of that rat’s statement,” I sigh, trying to be as respectful as possible. Sunset turns to the others, but my eyes stay glued on the building in front of us. I really hope fate has something better planned. If Aria is actually here, then… I have no idea what she will do. Working at a place like this for fuck all pay made my own life seem worthless. If she is here, I should have found her first…

“Adagio, Sonata and I will go in. She’s liable to freak out if she sees all of us,” Sunset tells our friends. That is if she is in here. In all likelihood, that rat had its facts wrong. I mean, it is a rat. It probably can’t remember human faces that well.

Probably.

Sonata touches my hand, giving me a reaffirming smile. I can see the hesitancy in her eyes, but she is letting me know it is okay to lead the way now. Taking a deep breath, I nod to her, walking towards the club. The cool air of the night only makes this place seem worse. There’s not even a bouncer standing outside. The club I worked at had that convenience at least… This place just seems so… I don’t know.

Gently opening the door, I take a second to breathe before entering. It’s dark inside aside from the blue or red lights. The heavy stench of alcohol permeates the place. Everyone talks amongst themselves as heavy music blasts my ears. Sonata’s nose scrunches up, reacting to the smell. Scanning the stage and the people around it, no one vaguely resembles Aria. Leaning against the bar, I can’t help but feel a bit better. The rat was wrong.

“What would you like, punk?” A familiar voice asks me. Sonata and Sunset look in my direction, their eyes widening in a second. Then again, maybe the rat was right…

Turning my gaze behind me, a woman with purple skin looks down at a notepad in her hand, ready to take an order. Her darker purple hair has green highlights in them, strung up into twin tails. She wears a really short black skirt and a white top. In every way but physical, she looks beat up… I really don’t want to believe my eyes…

“Aria?” I ask quietly, hoping to whatever deity there may be that this is just some lookalike. She finally looks up from her notepad. As soon as she makes eye contact with us, her eyes go wider than I have ever seen them. The shock on her face confirms my fears. This is Aria…

“Adagio? Sonata…?” Aria’s voice is barely audible. She drops her notepad as she stares at us in disbelief. Even though the club is far too loud, there is so much silence between us. Aria’s hand shakes, clearly unsure what she should do. I understand that hesitation all too well…

“Can we talk?” I ask her with a small nod to Sonata. Sunset watches us, but thankfully, Aria isn’t focusing on her.

“What do we have to talk about?” Aria responds in a defensive tone, stepping back with a singular tear falling down her cheek. “I really can’t do this.” Aria quickly walks out from behind the counter towards the back of the club. Without waiting for a moment, Sonata follows after her.

“Aria?” Sonata calls after her. Sunset and I quickly walk behind her. Aria opens the back door, walking out of the club. As soon as I make it outside, I can’t help but feel a sense of deja vu. This alleyway is cramped and the last time Aria, Sonata and I were in an alley, we left each other. That was the last time I saw both of them…

“I can’t do this. You should have forgotten me by now,” Aria almost growls at us, but I can tell some of that hatred is aimed at herself.

“Aria, wait. Please.” My words stop her in her tracks, finally making her look back at us. Tears soak her cheeks, but a grimace is on her face. She’s always used anger to mask her emotions. She really hasn’t changed… Not much at least.

“What do we have to talk about? Huh? Did you come to demand an apology, Dagi? I get it. I ruined us,” Aria lashes out at me, her voice full of anger and hatred.

“You ruined us…?” Sonata asks in confusion, clearly questioning the same thing I am.

“Aria, we came to apologize…” Taking a small step forward, I hold my hand out. This isn’t what I expected at all… “You didn’t ruin us. We all did through misplaced values and miscommunication.” Aria’s eyes widen to my statement, her tears stopping for a moment.

“You want to apologize? For what? Some sort of relationship with me again?” she asks us defensively, her body language closed off.

“Hopefully,” Sonata responds with a small nod. “We miss you…”

“You…” Aria’s voice trails off in shock, blinking a couple times to Sonata’s words. “You two miss me…?”

“As harshly as I treated you, I miss you, Aria,” I whisper with a slow nod, trying to get closer to her. “I’m going to tell you something that someone wise told me.” Looking back at Sunset for a moment, I see her ever supportive smile. Her eyes remind me of a very similar night years ago. “Maybe you won’t believe this, but… you can be happy too, Aria.”

As soon as I say those words, Aria’s tears start to flow again. Falling to her knees, Aria begins to cry, making Sonata rush over to hug her. In a moment, I find myself on the other side of her, holding her as well.

“Damn it… I’m sorry,” Aria barely makes the words through her cries. Patting her back, all I can do is try to keep my own composure. And God, that is hard…

I whisper, “We all are, Aria. We all are.”

Author's Note:

My next chapter will be out on Valentine's Day~ :twilightsmile: It's never too late for our favorite sirens to come back together.