• Published 30th Nov 2022
  • 921 Views, 206 Comments

A Dazzling Trio - Spyder27



Now that Adagio is engaged to the love of her life, she only has one more thing she wants to do before they make it official. She wants to find the other sirens she lost years ago and try to make things right. Will she be able to?

  • ...
6
 206
 921

New Road, Old Thoughts

Chapter XIV: New Road, Old Thoughts

The first hour of this trip was probably the most unbearable. Everyone tried to find what seat would make them comfortable and an argument happened between Rarity and Pinkie Pie. Although, Rainbow Dash resolved that conflict by telling them to “pipe down.” For the last week and a half at least, Rainbow has acted strangely. Ever since I had that little party at my music studio. Needless to say, it makes me feel anxious, but no matter how much I may ask her what is wrong, she doesn’t tell me.

Inside the RV, there are a couple of tables with booth seats, a small kitchen area, a couch, and a small bedroom in the back. Clearly, this vehicle wasn’t made for eight people to stay in it, but we weren’t exactly planning on sleeping in here to begin with. There’s also a door that opens up to the driver’s compartment, giving easy access if someone wants to sit in the passenger seat. That is where I decided to be.

Looking out the window, it is nearly impossible to count the number of trees that pass us by. The only time I’ve really ever left Canterlot City was when I went to Appleloosa for Rich. This is in the complete opposite direction, however. Pulling out a map, I look at the sections circled in green. Nevada and Louisiana… The spell I used from the brief moment I got my magic back told me that the two of them are in those states. Unfortunately, my magic wasn’t able to determine their precise location due to how far away they are. That and… I haven’t used my magic in almost four years. I can’t tell who is in either state, but what perplexes me the most is that they’re apart from each other. If anything, I thought the two of them would be together. Sonata always did like Aria, despite their bickering, so I figured she would just follow her. The idea that they have been separate this entire time is a bit concerning since the postcards they sent me a long time ago were from the same address.

What separated you two…?

“It always is difficult to drive when the sun is just on the horizon,” Applejack tells me with a laugh, looking over at me for a second. The dawn of the new day reminds me that we’ve been on the road for a few hours now. We started in the middle of the night… I know Apple Bloom will be upset with me for that. She wanted to see me off, but Applejack decided to take off at four in the morning. “Ya know you could doze off if ya want. I wouldn’t mind, sugarcube,” Applejack states with a nod, keeping her eyes on the road.

“No thanks. I’d rather stay awake for now.” Looking out the window again, I can’t help but wonder what Sonata and Aria are up to. What is Nevada like? Or Louisiana for that matter?

“Everyone else decided to get some sleep a while ago. We’re going to be on the road for a few more hours before I make any stops.” Honestly, I’m glad Applejack is looking out for me. That is what friends do. I’m not exactly used to having kindness in my life, but it feels nice.

“I appreciate the offer, but I’m fine, really. I slept plenty before we took off.” Quietly putting the map back into my bag, only the low hum of the road fills my ears, almost acting like a calming white noise.

“Let me guess. You’re anxious, right?” Applejack asks me quietly. Even though she isn’t looking at me, I can tell she is giving me her full attention. Well, as much attention as she can spare from the road. For some reason, Applejack is able to read practically anyone. I can’t lie. I am anxious. How am I supposed to approach Sonata or Aria again? How am I supposed to talk to them again? I have days to figure it out, but… still. “Well, I know these words aren’t going to do a lick of good, but I just want ya to remember that we have your back.” Applejack takes a moment to look at me, her eyes filled with sincerity. “I don’t just mean Sunset. I mean everyone here. Even me. We’re all here for ya. I know anxiety and insecurities make it hard to listen to advice, but I just want you to at least think about it.”

Applejack gently places her hand on my shoulder and honestly? I can’t help but appreciate every single word she just said. Even though I’ll probably be anxious this whole trip, it’s nice to be reminded that everyone here cares about me. “Thanks, Applejack. You’re right. I am anxious. It is kind of hard to avoid that considering what we’re doing right now.” Breaking my gaze from hers, I look back at the trees passing us by. A single thought captures my mind. I feel anxious about meeting them again, but I feel even worse about whatever she may have in mind for them.

“Well, since ya ain’t going to sleep, do you want to talk about it?” Applejack asks me curiously, her hand leaving my shoulder. For a moment, I hesitate to answer her, looking back at the closed door. I trust everyone in this vehicle, but my inner thoughts aren’t necessarily the most pleasant right now. Truth be told, Rainbow Dash doesn’t need to hear any more depressing news. At least for now.

Applejack, seemingly noticing my hesitation, locks the door to the driver’s compartment, giving me a reassuring nod. Thankfully, the actual cabin can’t hear anything going on outside of it. The driver’s compartment, on the other hand, can hear quite a lot of the outside world. I suppose that is to make sure the driver actually hears a siren.

“The reason why I’m anxious? It’s because… Honestly, how can I be sure they want to see me again?” I ask her quietly, both of us keeping our eyes on the road ahead of us. “What will I say to them? Something like ‘Hi, girls! Ready to make up and be best friends?’ No. I can’t just do that. This whole mission of mine to apologize to them feels so… selfish of me. If they don’t want to see me again, then I am bringing drama back into their life for no reason other than to satisfy this part of MY life.” The bigger worry in my mind is what if I’m bringing trouble along with me? My mind can’t help but try to convince me that maybe I should just turn back. What should I do?

“No matter how ya look at it, you are definitely bringing some form of drama back into their lives. However, I don’t think it is necessarily that selfish to apologize to the people you wronged.” Applejack’s words sound so sure and honest that it is difficult to not entertain her idea. “They were your first friends. I think the best thing you can do is to give all three of you a bit of closure…” For a few seconds, it feels as if Applejack can read my mind, saying the right words to reassure me that this is the right choice. “Tell me, Adagio. What do you want more than anything else?” Applejack asks me quietly, her stoic position hardly changing at all.

“To spend my life with Sunset.” The answer to Applejack’s question came out of my mouth before I even had the chance to think it over. I don’t really have to think about it… That is the one wish of my life at this point. In the past, I only wished to rule over anything and everything, but now? My ultimate wish is to just be with Sunset.

“And ya want me and the girls to be in your life as well?” Applejack asks me with the same inquisitive tone, making me wonder what she is getting at.

“Of course. You’re the only friends this old siren has.” Even though I used to scoff at the idea of friendship, it has been one of the biggest impacts in my life. Due to my friendships, I was able to build my confidence back up, go out and do things outside my comfort zone and actually reach out to Sunset again. After my magic was taken away from me, I was in a low place without the motivation to keep moving forward or to actually push myself. Now? It’s thanks to these friendships that I can be like my old self again.

“And I assume you would also want your old friends to be there as well? For your marriage and your new life?” Again, Applejack throws another question at me, but this one is far more obvious. I can tell what she’s hinting at with this inquiry. Applejack is always trying to help me or someone else with her wise words. I can’t tell if she’s faking her wisdom or if she actually knows these things.

“Alright, I see where you’re headed with this,” I tell Applejack with a slight sigh, focusing on the passing scenery. “Of course I would want them there as well. It’s more difficult than that. I hurt them a lot in our time together, so I don’t just expect that they will embrace me with open arms or such.”

“True,” Applejack responds with a slight hum to her voice, nodding to what I said. “But there’s no harm in trying to make things right. Even if they don’t want to hear from ya again, at least you did what you could to apologize to them.” Applejack’s eyes connect with mine for a moment, nothing but sincerity in her gaze. For some reason, every word she just said seems truthful and I can’t help but feel a little reassured by her statement.

“I suppose so. I just hope I’m not bringing any undue trauma into their lives.”

======================================================

The touch of her hand is like heaven itself. Well, this is what I imagine heaven would feel like if it exists. In all honesty, I don’t know if it exists or not. I know that if concepts like heaven or hell should exist, she would definitely be one of the most beautiful angels. All she’s done in life is try to help others. It’s inspiring in no short manner. The sound of her laugh makes me feel like I can do anything. Maybe it is because she makes me confident in myself again. Adagio Dazzle. I didn’t think I would ever be proud of that name again after losing my magic, but it seems like anything is possible.

Her fingers gently pet my cheek, reassuring me that she’s here. “You must be tired, huh?” her voice quietly asks me, a cute giggle following immediately after. I can’t help but smile at her words, enjoying her touch.

“How could I not? The whole world tires me,” I whisper in response, holding her hand against my cheek. “So many people seem so… moronic. It’s hard to deal with that, but you… You always know how to help me get my energy back.” My words make Sunset laugh a little more. It’s always nice when I can make her laugh.

“And I assume I’m not one of these moronic people?” she asks me in a joking tone. Without fail, she makes my cheeks flush, unable to bear her cute gaze.

“Of course not. You’re… the smartest person I know. Even smarter than me.” Sunset and I share a chuckle before she presses her nose against my own, still holding my cheek as gently as she can. It’d be hard for someone to convince me that this feeling right here isn’t comparable to heaven itself.

“Looks like I tamed a siren, huh?” she teases me, passionately pressing her lips against mine. Our embrace makes my heart beat faster, showing me just how much she loves me. I don’t even know why she loves me, but at this point? I don’t care why. I just want this to last forever. “It’s time to get up now. I know you’re a sleepy alligator, but we need to stretch our legs~” Raising my eyebrow, I can’t help but feel confused at her words, wondering what she means exactly.

“What do you mean?” I groan softly, feeling my muscles suddenly feel tense and stiff. My vision goes dark and Sunset’s image disappears, but her touch still remains. Opening my eyes, a bright light makes me squint and causes my head to throb slightly. Looking straight back at me, eyes that reflect the ocean welcome my gaze, a warm smile helping me wake up.

“I mean that you’ve slept for a while~ It’s time we stretch our legs a little,” Sunset tells me with a giggle, standing in the doorway of the RV. Applejack is no longer here, making me wonder what is going on. Are we stopping for the night already? No, it’s still daylight outside. Breaking my gaze from Sunset’s I look outside the RV. We’re parked at a pretty large gas station… When did we stop here? When did I fall asleep? In the distance, I can see some of the girls heading towards the building, presumably to go to the restroom or to get snacks of some kind. “Are you ready to get out for a few minutes?” Sunset asks me cheerfully.

“Yeah, I am. Give me a second, dear~” Unbuckling myself from my seat, I take a deep breath before following her out of the vehicle. The bright sunlight warms my skin and I can’t help but look around us. This gas station seems to be in the middle of a city, the loud sounds of cars and daily interactions making me wonder exactly where we are. “How long was I asleep?” I ask her before grabbing Sunset’s hand, following her lead to the building.

“For about six hours, I think. Applejack told me when she thinks you drifted off to dreamland, so it was about six hours ago.” Sunset presses her shoulder against mine, chuckling at the amount of time I slept. “You must have been pretty tired. Though, I wouldn’t blame you since you have to deal with SO many ‘moronic’ people,” she teases me with a slight push, laughing to herself.

“I actually said that? I guess I was lucid dreaming… You and I were back home, sitting on the couch, so I was just responding to why I was tired.” In a way, I feel a little embarrassed that I actually said that to her. It makes me feel flustered to think I fell asleep in front of Applejack and Sunset had to wake me up, but there’s nothing I can do about it now. “Six hours? Applejack has been driving for that long?” How in the world is she not tired herself? It feels greedy of us to just sit back and let her do all the driving, but she is the only person who can do it. Looking back towards the vehicle, I see Applejack standing by it, presumably fueling it up. I can’t imagine how strenuous that must be, so I really should thank her again later.

“Well, yeah. She’s been driving nonstop this whole time. It was Rarity who convinced her to make a pitstop. Honestly, I think it would do everyone some good to take a break from traveling.” Sunset opens the door to the gas station for me, letting me walk in ahead of her. The cool air inside the building gives a nice contrast to the sunlight outside. Even though the smell of the building is an odd combination of fresh food and cleaning supplies, the building itself isn’t that comfortable. It is filled with all sorts of people, all looking for snacks or some other necessity. Looking over the shelves, I can see Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash head towards the restroom, recognizing them by their hair alone. However, I can’t immediately recognize where Twilight is among the crowd of customers. Fluttershy is at the register, seemingly buying something.

“Taking a break from traveling… Here of all places?” I ask her quietly, taking a deep breath. I’m not afraid of getting my hands dirty, but something about this place makes me feel weird. Maybe it is due to the sticky stains on the counters, the freshly cleaned floors or the musty smell in the air. Eh… It’s still an odd feeling.

“I know you would prefer more high profile places, but we will only be here for about fifteen minutes. I need to go to the restroom, but I will be right back. Try not to cause any trouble while I’m gone, alright?” Sunset gives me a wink, chuckling at her joke. Before I let go of her hand, I pull her towards me, planting my lips against hers and holding the back of her head in the palm of my hand. From Sunset’s body language, I can tell she’s surprised by my sudden embrace. I can’t help but smirk a little at this, finally letting her go.

“I can’t promise anything. You know how much I love to stir up some trouble~” Letting go of her hand, I give Sunset a small wave with a cheeky smirk, making her roll her eyes with a smile. She quickly walks away from me, going towards the restroom on the other side of the store, leaving me close to the entrance of the store. Now all I have to do is figure out what I’m going to do with this break.

“So, this store apparently has melatonin and knock-off snacks,” a voice speaks up to my left, causing me to jump a little. Twilight looks at me innocently with a bottle of melatonin in one hand and some weird beef jerky in her other hand. “I’m guessing that they expect you to either sleep or eat your way through trips like this. Which one would you choose?” Twilight asks with a chuckle, holding the options as if it is some sort of gameshow. Gently reaching out and grabbing the bottle of melatonin, I look at it carefully. “Wise choice. I would choose the same thing,” Twilight tells me with a nod. “Also, that was a very… passionate kiss.”

Looking up from the bottle, I can’t help but raise my eyebrow, finding it weird that Twilight was watching the two of us. “What can I say? I love her and I don’t want anyone to try anything~” Bringing my hand up to my face, I show her my ring with a smirk, both of us chuckling a little.

“Even if someone did flirt with your girlfriend, she wouldn’t ever leave you for them. You two are practically attached at the hip at this point. Surprising since you two originally hated each other.” Twilight opens the beef jerky wrapping, taking a bite out of it. For the moment, both of us just watch the store, letting the seconds go by without a care.

“I’m not scared she would consider anyone else. She’s proved to me that she loves me beyond all else. I just don’t want anyone else to try anything, if you know what I mean. What does it say about me if I can’t scare away another suitor or suitress?” I ask her with an overly dramatic pose, bringing my hand to my chest. “I have to assert my dominance somehow.” Twilight simply laughs to herself at my words, shaking her head slowly.

“Must you always be so confident in yourself? Just kidding. It’s a good quality to have. I sometimes wish I was more confident in myself.” Twilight simply looks at the rest of the store, the two of us acting as passive observers.

“I either feel confident in myself or I let the destructive pessimism take over. Which do you think is more healthy?” I rhetorically ask her, leaning against the wall quietly. “Also, did you actually buy that beef jerky or did you just start taking a bite out of it?” As tempting as it is to not pay for something as trivial as beef jerky, I know it would only cause more trouble than necessary. I mean, in this world of economics, it is important to remember how important money is here. At least currency wasn’t always as important in Equestria. If anything, ponies would sometimes help strangers simply because they felt it was the right thing to do. That sort of thing rarely happens in this world, however.

“I paid for this and the bottle of melatonin. I’m not opposed to sharing if you want to though. I know how difficult it can be to sleep on trips, despite how easy Pinkie makes it look.” Raising my eyebrow, I can’t help but turn my gaze to Twilight, feeling a little confused by her words. Pinkie made it look easy, huh?

“What do you mean?” I ask her with a curious tone, making Twilight look up towards the ceiling.

“While you were riding in the front with Applejack, everyone else decided to try and sleep or play some cards. Well, when everyone was going to sleep, Pinkie fell asleep immediately. It usually takes me about an hour to actually fall to sleep, so I felt a little jealous. Not enough to be mad at her, but yeah.” Twilight shrugs her shoulders, taking another bite out of her beef jerky. Her mouth opens again right after she swallows, but before she can say another word, the door to the building opens beside us. Applejack makes a dramatic entrance with a thin surface of sweat adorning her skin. She takes a deep breath of the cool air before noticing us, giving us a small smile.

“It sure is hot out there. I’m glad we can take a break. Just don’t get too comfortable. I’m hoping to get back on the road in fifteen minutes.” Applejack pushes the tip of her hat up a little, making the light shine on her sweat a little more. Her gaze shifts from the two of us towards the rest of the store, inquisitively looking around us. “Do you two know where Rares is?” Applejack asks us, trying to look for her missing girlfriend.

“She went to the restroom,” I tell her with a slight yawn. Honestly? I kind of hope I can go back to sleep once we get back to the RV. I slept for hours, yet I still feel tired. “I feel like she will probably be out in a couple of minutes. Just cool off until she gets out.” Applejack slowly nods to my words with an exasperated sigh. She barely has any time to rest, however. As soon as she leans against the wall, I can’t help but notice Pinkie Pie come running out of the restroom with Rarity close behind her. Pinkie Pie practically sprints towards the sweets section, making Applejack look skeptically at her.

“Oh no… She’s gonna be indecisive about what to buy again.” Shaking her head, Applejack walks towards the direction Pinkie Pie is in. Looking toward the restroom, I can’t help but smile, seeing the love of my life walk towards me. I wonder if there is anything in particular that Sunset would like to get here before we leave.

I try to take a step toward her, but my leg doesn’t move. My body doesn’t… want to move… A sinking feeling takes over me, realizing how numb my limbs feel. Every muscle I try to move rejects my influence… Oh no. No no no… Not now. Please not now.

“Excuse me, Sparkle. I have something urgent I need to do,” my mouth moves on its own, speaking words I don’t actually mean. A dark circle encroaches on my vision. Without my permission, my body moves off the wall, walking towards Sunset. No… No! No no no! She can’t do this! Not now! GIVE ME BACK MY BODY!