• Published 30th Nov 2022
  • 921 Views, 206 Comments

A Dazzling Trio - Spyder27



Now that Adagio is engaged to the love of her life, she only has one more thing she wants to do before they make it official. She wants to find the other sirens she lost years ago and try to make things right. Will she be able to?

  • ...
6
 206
 921

Scorned Souls

Author's Note:

Hello, everyone! Here's a quick little chapter to resolve last chapter's cliffhanger. Originally, this chapter was supposed to be a lot longer, but it will be a bit before I can write more, so I thought I would go ahead and upload this~ Besides, I thought the ending was pretty good, so it should be satisfactory until the next installment~ Enjoy!

Chapter VII: Scorned Souls

Steam slowly rises from the cup, giving the world a visual representation of the liquid’s temperature. Personally, tea has never been my favorite, but it’s decent enough to drink if someone offers it. I guess it really depends on the kind of tea. Regardless of the situation, humans seem to like tea. Sometimes to calm their nerves or just to drink for pleasure. This situation actually follows the former model…

Twilight slowly takes a sip of her cup, a nice big blanket wrapped around her body as well. Sunset sits beside her on the couch after making the tea for us. Thankfully, Twilight’s cries have dulled down to a couple whimpers every now and then, but she still hasn’t said much about what happened with Timber. Right now, I suppose it doesn’t really matter what happened. We just need to be here for her while we can. It’s just like Pinkie said. People need people.

“I hope it’s warm enough. I could also get you a couple pillows if you want,” Sunset offers, still concerned with our friend. As scared as I am for Twilight, I am mostly concerned about what happened to her and what I can do to fix it. I suppose I’ve always had that mindset… Fix it. Whenever something happens to Sunset, it’s so damn hard to just stand back and accept it rather than trying to get my hands dirty to fix the situation. For Twilight, that need is still in the back of my mind, but it’s not as strong as it is for Sunset. That’s normal though… Sunset is my soulmate and my one love. I’d do anything for her. Anytime, anywhere. Twilight is my friend, so I think I’m more capable of sitting back and listening than getting involved.

“I-it’s alright,” Twilight barely tells Sunset with a broken voice, letting out another sob before taking a shaky breath. Her glasses have long since been placed on the coffee table to avoid damage. Seeing the usually calm and collected scientist break down right in front of me is a bit hard. Crying hard enough that she needs to keep her glasses off. From what I’ve gathered from her appearance, she must not have wasted much time coming over here. She looks like she just got out of bed, despite it being the middle of the afternoon. In a way, I feel honored that she trusts us enough that she comes to us the moment something like this happens to her. On the other hand, I’m sorry that this ever had to happen in the first place.

“What exactly happened?” I ask her quietly, hoping that this is the right time to talk about it with her. I half expect Sunset to give me an angry glare, but she doesn’t do that this time. She looks like she’s just as curious as I am. Probably more worried than I am too.

Once again, Twilight takes a shaky breath, almost breaking down again upon hearing my question. Regardless, she pulls together all the strength she can, sipping her drink. Her purple hand slowly reaches out and grabs her glasses, trying her best to compose herself. Even though her attempts largely go in vain, it’s good to see her trying.

“I… I’m sorry… I d-don’t mean to be a problem,” Twilight barely whispers, trying to avoid crying even more. Tears still fall from her eyes, but she’s able to keep herself from sobbing.

“Twilight, you’re not a problem,” Sunset tells her as gently as possible, gently rubbing her friend’s shoulder in an attempt to reassure the broken woman. In no way do I feel that Twilight is a problem… Even though I was looking forward to some more time with Sunset, I wouldn’t want Twilight to suffer in silence. I’ve done that plenty of times, so I’m happy Sunset said what was on both of our minds.

“Timber and I… W-we were at his place,” Twilight slowly whispers, recounting the events of the day as cautiously as she can. Every word seems to hurt her regardless. “I was going to sleep over… I brought up how distant we’ve been and he told me that… That I can’t seem to understand him.” A small whimper comes from Twilight’s lips before she forces herself to stop, taking a breath. “He said that we never do the things that he wants because I’m controlling… I didn’t think that I-I was being controlling. Am I…?” Twilight looks down at her free hand, tears welling up in her eyes at the mere thought crossing her mind. She slowly places her forehead in her hand, shaking her head with a deep breath.

Taking a small drink, I close my eyes and let the silence fill my mind. Why is it always so hard to think in situations like these? It’s like my mind is too preoccupied wanting to fix whatever problem my friend is dealing with than actually thinking about the details of the argument. Placing my tea back down on the coffee table, I look up at Twilight and take a deep breath, knowing what I will say may not come off the best.

“It’s true that you’re sometimes… possessive for control of a situation. You hate chaos and I don't think anyone can fault you for that.” For a moment, Sunset’s eyes look towards me with a questionable stare before I give her a reassuring glance. “But it all depends on what’s going on between you two. Do you take time to listen to Timber’s suggestions?” I ask her quietly, trying to be the least judgmental as possible. Twilight looks up at me with a couple of tears in her eyes, still pulling together enough strength to take my question seriously.

“Um… I do listen to them. He doesn’t really tell me what he wants a lot though… He just does what I want and we have a good time and we’re happy.” Twilight seemingly looks off into space, probably thinking a bit more about the question I posed to her. As difficult as it may be to hear, there’s something else that needs to be said…

“But is he?” I ask her quietly, causing her to look at me in confusion, not really catching on to my point. Sunset, on the other hand, knows exactly what I’m saying and she looks hesitant to trust me to continue my point. Regardless, she lets me continue. “From the issues you’ve told us before, it sounds like Timber isn’t happy doing the things you want. Maybe he doesn’t talk about the things he wants to do because he’s afraid you won’t listen. Or that you won’t want to do them.” Leaning back in my chair, I see Sunset look at me with an accusatory glance, asking me why I did that with a look alone. Her glance changes however as soon as she sees Twilight’s stopped crying, an expression of realization on her face.

“I… I don’t. I don’t like doing some of the things he suggests like hiking or going to some big parade. It drains my social battery a lot, but… he understands that, right?” Twilight’s voice goes quiet as she ponders the situation a little more. “He probably doesn’t like all the things I want to do, but he still does it because… he likes seeing a smile on my face,” Twilight whispers, looking down at the coffee table with a sense of guilt overcoming her.

“It’s alright to not like some things. No one is saying you have to go hiking with him, but… Relationships are about compromise. As long as you do something to let him know you enjoy him for who he is and listen to his opinions, then that should be enough,” Sunset reassures Twilight quietly, rubbing her shoulder with the same kind smile she made me fall in love with. She always knows the right thing to say, even if it’s adding to the point I was making before. We really do work well as a team.

“Oh my god… I didn’t realize I was making him feel ignored by being controlling… I… I need to talk to him,” Twilight tells us with a sense of urgency in her voice, pulling out her phone. Her eyes widen upon looking at her phone’s screen, another tear sliding down her cheek. “It’s dead… Could you take me to his apartment?” she asks my lover with a begging tone in her voice.

“How about you wait a couple of days? Wouldn’t it be best to think this out before you talk to him?” I ask her before Sunset looks at me with a slight shake of her head.

“That might work in other situations, but they just broke up, sweetheart. This is urgent for her,” Sunset tells me in a kind explanation of Twilight’s feelings. Honestly, I can’t help but feel a little embarrassed at the fact that I didn’t think of Twilight’s emotions before speaking up. I always look at things so practically that I forget that sometimes, a logical solution doesn’t always work. Turning her gaze back to Twilight, she nods briefly, standing up from the couch. “Yes, I can, just let me get my driver’s license.” Twilight hugs Sunset for her kindness, nodding quickly. Sunset looks over at me with a slightly concerned expression, turning her body to me before she can get her bag. “You’ll be alright by yourself for a bit, right?” she asks me quietly, being protective over me once again.

I can’t help but notice Sunset’s hand briefly rub the bracelet around her hand. It’s the one I got her for our anniversary with the symbols of a red sun and a purple musical note. Seeing her touch it in a moment like this makes me feel even closer to her, knowing that she touches it to remind herself of me. Just like how I touch my scarf…

“I’ll be fine, don’t worry. Be safe, okay? I have some things to do anyway,” I tell Sunset with a nod, standing up and kissing Sunset quickly, making her smile despite the urgency of the situation.

“Stay safe for me too,” Sunset tells me quietly, gently dragging her fingers across my cheek before walking towards the garage door, grabbing her bag with Twilight following after her. Even though I don’t think this is the best idea for them, I just hope things go alright with them. I know that if Sunset and I broke up, I’d probably do the exact same thing.

The sound of the door closing reaffirms that I’m alone right before I hear the motorcycle start up and leave the garage. Picking up the cups of tea, I can’t help but wonder if I gave Twilight the best advice. The last thing I would want is for Twilight to be in a worse situation than before due to my advice. The best thing I can do is hope that it all works out. Sunset will be there as well. Even though she won’t be able to help Twilight with the actual task of making up with Timber, she can comfort Twilight through everything she’s going through.

Gently turning on the kitchen sink, I rinse out the cups before placing them to the side, rolling up my sleeves to wash the other dishes with a sigh. Even though it’s annoying, I only have myself to blame. I haven’t washed the dishes in a few days and I suppose that’s because I’ve been pretty busy. Between my job, studying and apologizing to previous members of Canterlot High, I haven’t had a lot of time to do anything else this week. Yesterday was pretty much the only time I got to relax with Sunset. Funnily enough, she decided to take that time to rip my shirt off. That was pretty… surprising.

I was looking forward to eating the pasta she and I were preparing before Twilight came in, but due to her situation, we had to put it in the fridge as soon as it was done. At least we have a lot of leftovers. That means we can save some money from buying some other foods. We will need every dollar if I am serious about buying the music studio… And if I fail the GED, then I suppose we can just put it into our savings.

Taking a deep breath, I gently grab a glass from the side of the sink. The feeling of the glass in between my fingers suddenly disappears, making me look towards my side right as an ear-splitting crash rings throughout my ears. My eyes squint shut and I can’t help but grimace at the headache brought on by the shattering glass.

“God damn it,” I whisper to myself, opening my eyes to look at the damage. Shards of glass are scattered all across the left side of the kitchen floor, glinting in the light as if it was taunting me. Of course I had to drop a glass… This is the first time I’ve ever broken one of the glasses Sunset and I own, making me feel stupid. Regardless, I hold myself still, not wanting to stab my feet with shards of glass. All I have on are some shorts and one of Sunset’s shirts since I hardly have reason to wear shoes in my home. Now, the kitchen acts as a minefield and I can’t help but shake my head. The glass blocks me from the exit of the kitchen, making it nearly impossible to move.

Nearly…

Taking a deep breath, I can’t help but let out a heavy sigh, finding it ridiculous that I’m about to do this. Moving the dishes to the sink, I lift myself up on top of the counter, quickly moving myself over towards the doorway. Today has really been a day of consequence hasn’t it…? Twilight’s day was broken just like the glass with just a simple interaction between her and Timber. Despite the fact that I thought it was a bad idea, she insisted on going out to talk to him one more time and Sunset backed her up. I guess it is a desperate time for her… Breaking up with someone is so confusing and hard to fix. I’d be desperate too…

Stopping in the middle of the counter, my mind arbitrarily focuses on that one thought. If I was in the same situation… What would I do? Why am I thinking so much about it? The mere thought of breaking up with Sunset hurts me so much, yet… I can’t stop thinking about it. Seeing just how hard it hurt Twilight, I know that I’d be even worse than she is. Let’s face it… All of my friends were Sunset’s friends first. Sunset means so much to me and I… I don’t want to think about losing her. I used to think I didn’t deserve her, but I love her so much that thinking about being without her makes me sure I would be living an empty life…

Looking towards the broken glass, the big shards shine from the light coming from the window, giving off a… terrifyingly beautiful image. Sure, Sunset and I have had our fights, but we work so well together. I wouldn’t be in Twilight’s position. Even the demon in my mind has no say in that. I’m sure of it. Sunset and I wouldn’t break up.

We love each other too much.