• Published 19th Nov 2022
  • 1,227 Views, 31 Comments

The New Moon Rises - Kit Wolfkat



Twilight Sparkle was tasked with supervising the Lunar Moon Celebration in Ponyville. However, with the arrival of Daybreaker, she must find the Elements of Harmony to use against her while also leading a group of acquaintances in the Everfree.

  • ...
1
 31
 1,227

Lesson 4: Caught in a Lie

Lesson 4: Caught in a Lie.

As the first light of dawn tinged the sky with a warm orange hue, Ponyville residents stirred to life in anticipation of the Lunar Moon Celebrations. Everybeing from across the kingdom, news reporters, photographers and locals alike flooded the streets, eager to capture every moment of the festivities.

The marketplace district was a hive of activity, with stalls selling all sorts of items vying for attention. However, not everyone was happy with the influx of vendors.

“Gosh darnit, more and more ponies keep moving in with their fancy stalls and we can’t even get a good spot to set up on eh, Big Mac?” Applejack said to her brother as they began to set up their stall in the marketplace. “Even those fancy Cantelottian paparazzi's are scaring our other customers away.”

“Eyup.” Big Mac said quietly as he began to unload the cart full of apples onto the stall table, to be purchased by potential customers.

Applejack brought out a large sign that had a wording in big red captions.

SWEET APPLE ACRE APPLES!
NOW 3 APPLES FOR 1 TACK AND 50 BITS!

She then turned to her brother, “I'm headed back to the farm to take care of the feast catering. Try to talk up a little more, would ya? Sometimes you can be too quiet for your own good Mac.” she said as she began to attach the cart handle to herself.

As Big Mac watched Applejack trot away towards Sweet Apple Acres, a sense of solitude descended upon him. He was used to working the apple stall on his own. He looked out at the bustling market, with vendors shouting out their wares and the sounds of laughter and chatter filling the air.

And soon after immediately a white unicorn mare, with a purple mane approached the stall and wore a playful smile.

“Why good morning Mr Macintosh, how are you doing in this lovely morning?” she greeted him warmly, batting her eyelashes at him.

“Morning, Miss Belle.” Big Macintosh greeted back, nodding his head politely towards Rarity as she approached the stall. “I’m doing just fine, tending the stall for the celebration.”

“My, my!” Rarity letting out an exaggerated sigh and placing a hoof dramatically to her chest. She looked at Big Macintosh with a look of worriedness, “Then today must’ve been extremely busy, with all the customers coming for the celebration!”



“Uh Rarity? I’ve just setted up.” he said, sounding a little confused.

“Oh.. Er..” Rarity stammered, caught off guard by his statement. She quickly composed herself, her eyes shining with excitement. “Well then, I’ll be the first customer then! How much for these apples this morning?” she asked, pointing towards the red luscious apples on sale.

Big Mac explained, “”We have a special promotion goin' on, Miss Belle. Usually, we sell an apple for a Tack and half, but now they’re 3 for that price, a surplus we got this month! All thanks to-”

Rarity quickly cut him off, an alluring smile on her face as she leaned forward. “To your amazing academic qualifications ever since getting your graduation for your major in Business, Finance and Accounting at Manehatten University?”

Big Macintosh chuckled softly, “Naw, Miss Belle. Ain’t got nothing to do with me. This here’s all thanks to Applejack and Applebloom. They’ve been working day and night to bring in loads of apples, especially with the celebration coming up.”

Rarity’s smile faltered, “Oh..” she said, whilst biting her lip.

“Eyup, and thanks to them we got ourselves a large surplus this month since we’re also in charge of the catering for the celebrations.” he said happily.

Rarity turned to Big Mac with a soft smile, “Well, it’s good to hear that Mr Macintosh, I sincerely hope your family will enjoy your fruits of labour.” she chuckled.

Big Mac replied with a chuckle. Rarity then picked up 2 apples with her magic and placed them into a paper bag at the stall. She handed over the amount towards Big Mac before scurrying off towards the town hall. “Have a good day, Miss Belle!”

“You too, darling! I hope your business goes well!”

An hour passed by as Big Mac stood at the stall, his calm demeanour a stark contrast to the bustling marketplace around him. There were plenty of customers to buy apples, some were a family or in a group, others were in either a duo of reporters or as lone journalists.

As he finished placing the Tacks in the register, a lavender unicorn mare approached the stall, with a small drake in tow.

Sure is a good day today.


Echoing through a room at the Ponyville Inn was a piercing ringing of an alarm clock jolting Twilight Sparkle from her slumber, causing her to sit upright in bed with a start. She rubbed her eyes, trying to shake off the grogginess that clung to her like a heavy shroud.

She turned to the alarm clock, still ringing loudly and turned the alarm off. She looked at the time displayed on the lock.

It’s 8.30 in the morning.

With a deep breath, Twilight climbed out of bed and shuffled to the bathroom, still feeling the grogginess of sleep clinging to her. Opening the door she stopped towards the sink and turned the sink handle, splashing herself with water. She looked at herself in the mirror. “Well Twilight, you’ll either end this day on a high note, or in an asylum.”

“Twi, are you speaking to yourself again?” Spike said, his tone dripping with sarcasm as he emerged from the shower curtain. “I thought we cured you of that?”

“Spike… how long were you in the shower for?” she asked whilst rolling her eyes. Spike only gave a shrug before hopping out of the shower and into the bedroom.

Twilight let out a loud sigh, it’s gonna be a long day ahead of her. She walked out of the bedroom and saw Spike on the bed, sitting down with the checklist on his claws. “Let’s get out of here Spike.” Twilight said to him.

Spike replied with a nod before hopping off the bed. Together, they left the room and stepped out into the street and went to the receptionist to check out.

“So, are we going to follow the checklist in order or pick whatever is closest?” Spike asked as they reached the reception desk in the lobby.

Twilight was taken aback by the question. “Of course we’re following it in order! Imagine if I just woke up and left without eating breakfast,” she replied, her voice filled with surprise and disbelief.

Spike let out a sigh, rolling his eyes at Twilight’s response. “C’mon, Twilight. You said it yourself, it’s about efficiency!” he argued, trying to convince her to take a shortcut.

But Twilight was strict in her approach, countering with a huff, “Spike, taking a shortcut is not efficiency, it’s absolute laziness.” “No shortcuts, no exceptions!” she said with a final determination.

Spike sighed in defeat, he knew she wasn’t gonna budge anytime soon. “Alright, alright. Let’s stick to the plan and get this done so we can have some fun at the celebration later,”

As they walked down the busy street, Twilight turned to Spike, her steps determined as she asked, “So what’s first on the list, Spike?”

Spike unrolled the checklist, scanning the first name before speaking, “Applejack of Sweet Apple Acres, she’s in charge of most of the catering for the celebration feast.”

Twilight’s eyes lit up with excitement, “So all we need to do is find her,” she said, determination clear in her voice. Spike couldn’t help but roll his eyes before continuing to read the checklist out loud.

“The producers for each food are gathering at Sweet Apple Acres for the rendezvous.” Spike continued before rolling it back. He turned to Twilight, “So everybeing involved with the catering is gonna be there. But do we know where it is?”

Twilight stopped in her tracks and turned to Spike, “What do you mean?”

Spike let out a sigh, “I mean, how are we supposed to find it? It’s not like there’s a big sign pointing us in the right direction.” He pointed his claw to the street devoid of any signs.

Twilight facehoofed in frustration, realizing she didn’t know where to find Sweet Apple Acres. But then her expression brightened.

“I have an idea! What if we ask the stall merchants in the market district if they know where Sweet Apple Acres is?” she suggested to Spike, a grin spreading across her face.

Spike considered the suggestion for a moment before nodding in agreement. “You know what, that’s actually not a bad idea! I’m sure someone there knows where Sweet Apple Acres is.”


Almost an hour later

They had asked almost everyone they came across in the marketplace, but to no avail. Twilight was becoming increasingly frustrated and Spike was starting to feel hungry.

“Ugh.. Isn’t there anyone who can tell us where Sweet Apple Acre is!” Twilight exclaimed in frustration as they wandered around the marketplace.

Spike turned to Twilight with a nod and a sympathetic look on his face, “ Yeah, it’s kinda surprising that not a single one knows where Sweet Apple Acre is!” He clutched his stomach with his claws. “Not only that, I haven’t eaten anything since I woke up.”

“Well, you can eat after we find Sweet Apple Acres but now, there’s not even a short of a hint here.” Twilight responded.

Spike let out a sigh, “Yeah, I guess you’re right. Let’s keep searching.” He patted his growling stomach, trying to ignore his hunger. “ Can we at least get something to bite on?”

Twilight cast a tired glance at Spike as he whined. She sighed and gave in, “Alright, Spike. I suppose we can grab something to eat from the stalls. I just hope we don’t go over.”

Spike’s eyes lit up with excitement, eager to sample some of the delicious treats the marketplace had to offer. “Awesome!” he exclaimed, jumping up and down.

“Just remember, I didn’t bring many Tacks with us, so we’ll have to be careful about what we buy,” Twilight reminded Spike, trying to keep her expenses and him in check.

Spike exclaimed, “Yeah, yeah, yeah. I heard you, Twi.” He paused for a moment before continuing,” Anyways, I saw a stall earlier with some apples, and I bet they’re cheap! I mean, what could go wrong with a classic like apples, right?” he said excitedly, before immediately putting a claw in his mouth.

Twilight stopped walking and turned to Spike with a mixed expression, her smile didn’t quite reach her eyes. “Spike,” she began in a calm tone, “you saw an apple stall earlier when we were trying to find Sweet Apple Acres?” she asked, her tone slowly becoming from calm to annoyance.

Spike grinned nervously at her, “Well uh, kinda forgot to tell you about that?” he admitted, a sheepish grin on his face.

Twilight raised an eyebrow, her expression showing disapproval., “Spike…”she said, her tone of voice making it clear that she wasn’t happy with his omission of the very clear and important details.

“Hey don’t blame me, Twilight! You’re the one who insisted to talk to everybeing in the marketplace.” Spike protested, trying to defend himself.

Twilight sighed, her annoyance and frustration evident in her voice. “You could have at least said something, Spike. Instead of keeping quiet the whole time. We’ve been walking around for almost an hour and we haven’t made any progress finding Sweet Apple Acres,” she said, frustration clear in her voice.

“Alright, alright I’m sorry okay? Can we just go to the stall now to eat?” Spike said, clutching his stomach again.

Spike, sometimes you get on my nerves, you really do. But it’s a good thing you’re my companion and friend. Or else I might-

Twilight quickly shook her head, “Forget about it Spike. Anyways, where’s the stall that you mentioned?”

Spike looked at Twilight with a sparkle in his eyes, “Awesome! The apple stand is right over there, come on Twi!” The otherwise famished dragon eagerly pulled her along by her hoof as they made their way through the crowded marketplace.

The stalls of the marketplace were lined up along the Ponyville River, each with its own unique colour and pattern. Some even proudly displayed the national flag near their stands, hoisted up proudly near the poles.

Twilight scanned the area, searching for the apple stand that Spike had mentioned. Finally Spike stopped, letting go of Twilight’s hoof.

“See! I told you this is the stall we’re looking for.” Spike pointed to a small wooden stand, with bright red apples neatly arranged on top. A large red earth pony stallion stood behind the stand, a friendly smile on his face as he finished serving the other customer at the stall.

As Big Mac finished placing the Tacks in the register, Twilight approached the stall, with Spike right behind her, “Pardon me, I need to ask?”

Big Mac turned to Twilight and gave her a soft smile, “Eyup.”

“Do you know the location of Sweet Apple Acres, sir?” asked Twilight, hoping that this stallion might be the answer after an hour of walking and searching.

“Eyup!” replied Big Mac, with a calm but otherwise friendly tone.

Finally, task number 1 will be accomplished!

Twilight turned to Spike with a thankful grin on her face before quickly recomposing herself and turning to Big Mac “Could you tell us where it is?” she asked with a neutral tone, hoping that a professional tone will give her a clearer and concise answer.

Big Mac gave a friendly nod to her, “Eyup.” said Big Mac, whilst he reached down with his hooves and picked up a folded paper. He unfolded it and laid it down flat towards the Twilight and Spike.

“First y’all take the westernmost bridge near Quills and Sofas. If you see Ponyville Elementary, then just head straight down the road until you see the sign and entrance to the farm,” Big Mac explained as he pointed to the western bridge on the map..

Twilight’s eyes widened with excitement, “This is great! Do you mind if I borrow this for a while?” she said while taking the map from the table.

Big Mac nodded approvingly, a friendly smile on his face. “It’s fine y’all can take it. I’m local round’ here anyways, so it ain’t too hard for me to find my way.”

“That’s great, thank-” before Twilight could finish her sentence, Big Mac stopped her with a quick sentence of his own.

“However, I’ll need to ask, why are y’all asking for my family’s farm? Are y’all some sort of investors or something?” he asked, his eyebrows slightly furrowed as he looked at Twilight with interest.

Twilight shook her head, “Oh no, I’m the royal supervisor for the Lunar Moon Celebrations. The Princess sent me here to check on the celebrations. You know, catering, security, weather and such.” Twilight explained to him. “ But anyways-”

“Ah, I see. Well my name is Macintosh Apple, but folks call me Big Mac in these parts, pleasure to meet ya miss..?”

Twilight shook her head, “No need for name exchanges, Mr Macintosh. I’m on a bit of a tight schedule right now, but I guess thank you for your help.” she said quickly, eager to quickly finish this conversation and to go to Sweet Apple Acres.

Big Mac nodded his head, “I understand miss, in the meantime y’all would like to purchase one of our apples on the way. We’re having a promotion and I suggest y'all take 3 for the road ahead.” Big Mac offered kindly.

Spike, overhearing the offer, perked up with excitement, “Awesome! Come on Twilight, I’m starving!” he exclaimed, his belly rumbling with hunger.

Twilight rolled her eyes while Big Mac chuckled at Spike’s over voraciousness and insatiable hunger. Twilight looked around the apple stand, taking in the dozens of shiny,and succulent red apples that were lined up in a slightly messy but still orderly fashion. Behind Big Mac stood a large wooden crate overflowing with apples.

Twilight felt a slight rumble in her stomach,“Well I’ll guess take three, I mean we ARE pretty hungry.” she said while looking at the delicious apples on display. Spike, hearing Twilight’s agreement, let out a cheer. “Awesome!”

Big Mac reached for three of the juiciest apples from the stand and placed them in a brown paper bag. He handed the bag over to Twilight with a smile, “Enjoy the taste of the freshest apples from Sweet Apple Acres, Miss Twilight. And be sure to say hello to my sister, Applejack, for me!”

Twilight nodded in appreciation before taking out a 5 Tack banknote and handing them to Big Mac. However, he quickly tried to protest, “Uh, Miss Twilight, it’s only-”

But Twilight cut him off with a wave of her hoof. “Keep the change, Mr. Macintosh. We’re not going to be here for long,” she explained to him as she and Spike began to walk away from the stall towards the road.

“Ah, well have a good day Miss Twilight!” Big Mac said to them as they walked away from his stall.

Weird mare..


Twilight and Spike made their way down the dirt road, surrounded by towering trees that lined the sides. The sound of their footsteps echoed as the dirt and pebbles under their hooves were compressed with each step. The rustling of leaves and the chirping of birds could be heard in the distance, giving the area an otherwise peaceful and serene atmosphere.

Twilight carefully scrutinised the map in her magic, while also looking up occasionally too if they reached the farm. Meanwhile, Spike walked happily beside her, savouring the juicy sweetness of one of the apples they had picked up from Big Mac’s stand.

“You haven’t touched your *crunch* mmmh... Your apple yet.” Spike said as he continued munching on the apple to Twilight as he offered the remaining one to her.

“You can take it Spike, I’m not hungry.” Twilight replied dismissively, keeping her eyes focused on the map. Spike’s face lit up with delight as he happily took another bite from his apple, “Awesome! More for me then!”

The two of them continued walking down the dirt road surrounded by tall trees on either side. The sound of their hooves crunching against the dirt and small stones echoed through the quiet forest.

Twilight and Spike stopped in their tracks as Twilight’s eyes were drawn to a large wooden sign with bold, red letters that was positioned at the entrance of a wide, white fenced-in area on the right side of the road. The sign was well-crafted, with the letters seeming to jump out from the wooden boards and the green background of the surrounding trees.

Sweet Apple Acres

Twilight’s mouth slowly spreaded into a smile as she quickly folded the map back. “Spike, we’re finally here!” she said in excitement. “After an hour and a half of searching, task one is already finished!”

“Overambitious much? It’s not like we’re having a national emergency or something.” Spike said in a mild tone of sarcasm, chuckling as he finished off the last bite of his apple.

Twilight, however, didn’t seem to be in a laughing mood. She picked up Spike in her magic and placed him on her back, eager to get to their destination as quickly as possible. With determination in her step, she hastened her pace and made her way towards the entrance of Sweet Apple Acres.

As Twilight and Spike approached the farm, they were greeted by a sprawling landscape dotted with trees and a few buildings. In the centre of it all stood a large farmhouse, surrounded by a white picket fence. From the east to the south of the farmhouse was a vast orchard, filled with rows upon rows of lush apple trees, while to the west was a modest chicken coop, enclosed. But before she could enter the land, she stumbled upon a roadblock.

A roadblock that is a young red maned filly with a yellow coat, who was squinting at them with suspicion. The filly had a neat pink ribbon tied in her mane, adding a pop of colour to her already striking appearance. She stood firmly in front of the farm entrance, blocking their path.

“What are y’all doing here at my family’s farm?” she asked Twilight in a curious but cautious tone. Her eyes flitted from Twilight to Spike, taking in their appearance as Spike jumped down from Twilight’s back.

Twilight couldn’t help but feel a mixture of amusement and frustration as she looked at the young filly standing before her.

I wonder if this filly is related to the Macintosh stallion earlier, Applejack I think? Wait no Applejack is organising the catering, could be another sibling?

Twilight cleared her throat as she spoke to the filly, “My name is Twilight Sparkle. I’m the royal supervisor sent by Princess Luna to check in with catering, so uh… I need to speak with Applejack.” she said to the young filly.

The filly’s eyes then lit up with jubilancy when she realised who the mare was, “Woooo-weeee! Ah heard about ya Miss Twilight, you must be so gosh darn lucky to be the princess’ protege and now you’re here to see our family!” she said, jumping up and down.

Before Twilight could say another word, the filly quickly trotted away towards the farmhouse. “Applejack, Applejack!” she yelled out at the top of her lungs. Twilight thought this could maybe turn out for the worst so she quickly chased after the filly, “Wait, filly!” She shouted out as she chased after her, while Spike was left behind again at the farm entrance.

He rolled his eyes and shook his head as he watched Twilight dash away. “Really, Twi?” he said, feeling a bit left out as he always did when Twilight was in a hurry. “I’m seriously getting tired of this.” he muttered to himself, as he made his way to catch up with Twilight and the filly.


Applejack stood at the head of the table, surveying the group of farmer representatives gathered behind the farmhouse. “Alright, everypony,” she said, “And bug,” glancing briefly at a bug pony who was in attendance. “Ah gonna assume that each of y’all have finished with your catering business.”

Golden Harvest, placed a steaming dish of aromatic stew in front of the gathered farmer representatives. The dish was overflowing with chunks of tender carrots and a medley of spices, giving off a warm and inviting aroma.

Golden Harvest beamed with pride as she spoke. “This here’s my special carrot stew, made with spices to bring back memories of the first Lunar Moon Celebration!”

However, Berry Punch was quick to quash her excitement. The mare leaned back in her seat with a smirk on her face, taking a swig from the bottle of cider. “It ain’t nostalgic that's for sure, considering that the ones alive back then aren’t alive now,” she teased, much to the amusement of those around her. “Except for Princess Luna, hahaha!”

Golden Harvest sighed and rolled her eyes as she turned towards Berry Punch, “Anyways, how is NARA doing to that off-licence of yours anyways?” she asked towards Berry Punch. Berry Punch smiled slightly before taking in another chug of cider.

“Not as lucky as the Apple’s cider, but it is moving along. Should expect it till next month.” she replied. “In the meantime, my pub’s open for business for everyone to enjoy!” she said in mock celebratoryness as she took a smaller sip.

Applejack nodded a bit sympathetically at Berry Punch, “Well I’m sure those Canterlottians will approve it as soon as they-” Applejack was cut off by a loud snore from behind her, she turned towards the source only to find her grandmother Granny Smith sleeping on the rocking chair.

Golden Harvest laid her face on her hoof and chuckled.“Your grandmother is still rocking after all these years huh?” she said. Berry Punch simply nodded, while the other representative Charleston Cabbage simply looked at the old mare.

“Long live Berry Punch’s uh… non-alcoholic punch!” said a drunk Berry Punch suddenly as she began popping off a cork and drank more of the Apple family’s cider. Before quickly dropping her head on the table as she slept off her insobriety.

Applejack chuckled a bit before turning to Charleston with already a clear answer in her mind, “And before ya say anything Charlie, your family’s Caesar Salad is good enough alright?” Applejack assured him.

He nodded but just as he opened his mouth as if he was about to ask her something, he was suddenly cut short by a loud shout from the other side of the farmhouse.

“Applejack! Applejack!” came a familiar voice, belonging to a filly. Applejack turned around to see her young sister, Applebloom from her eyes, being chased by a lavender unicorn mare.

Without wasting a moment of time, Applejack took the rope near the table and swiftly spun it into lasso, biting the end of it with her mouth as she threw it over the unicorn in fast and expert fashion.


Twilight saw the loop of rope heading towards her quickly, and before she could react, she found herself tied up tightly like a pinata hanging from a tree branch. “Wait! Let me go!” Twilight cried out as she struggled to untie herself, but to no avail.

Applebloom continued to look on in shock as Applejack tightened the rope around Twilight. “Applejack, what in tarnation are you doing to her?” she asked her older sister. Applejack finally turned to face her sister, still holding the rope in her mouth. “She’s that Twilight Sparkle pony we were waiting for, she was gonna to observe the food we’re making for the princess!” Applebloom explained further.

Applejack’s eyes widened as she processed the information her sister was telling her.

Faust darnit, Applebloom. You had to tell me after I’ve already tied her up?

Applejack quickly let go of the rope, which quickly resulted in Twilight face planting on the ground, much to the chagrin of Spike, who had just arrived, and couldn’t help but burst out laughing at the sight,“Bwahahaahah! That’s just.. Ahhaha!” he laughed out loud, while clutching his stomach and rolling on the ground.

Twilight rubbed the side of her head as she slowly stood up, while Applejack quickly helped her to her hooves. “I'm so-so sorry that I did that to you Miss Sparkle.” Applejack said in regret. “Ah thought y’all was some no good varmint trying to take my little sister.

Twilight turned to the mare with a clear expression of annoyance and irritation on her face, “I was hoping that we could talk more like civilised beings here..” she said to Applejack.

Applejack face winced at that supposed insult, “Look I'm sorry about that Miss Sparkle, Ah really do. Ah just hope we don’t mean any kind of uh… distrust between us, pardner?” she said with a nervous smile.

Twilight rolled her eyes, “You know what it’s fine, I’ve had a rough morning, so let’s just get this over with as quickly as possible.” Twilight said in a matter-of-fact tone. Twilight looked behind Applejack and saw Applebloom behind her, probably feeling like she caused this.

Applejack nodded in agreement, grateful that the incident wouldn’t impact Twilight’s opinion of their family. Meanwhile, Spike finally stopped laughing and stood up, but was met with an annoyed look from Twilight. “Did you have a good time laughing at my expense?” she asked Spike.

Spike smirked a bit as he looked over Twilight, who’s mane a bit dishevelled. “Well I actually did, thanks for asking Twi!” he said, chuckling a bit.

Twilight rolled her eyes and gave out a sigh before turning back to Applejack, “Anyways, I’m supposed to be checking things out here for the food preparations and catering.” she said, rubbing herself from the dirt and grime for her coat with her magic.

Applejack’s face lit up, “Yeeeehaw!” she said, “I'm mighty thankful you accept my apology, Miss Sparkle!” she continued, taking Twilight’s hoof and giving it a firm shake. Twilight couldn’t pull out her hoof because the earthpony’s grip on her hoof is not only strong but also release-resistant too.

Applejack released her iron grip hoof from Twilight before motioning Twilight and Spike towards the picnic table. Twilight and Spike looked at each other for a moment, the former had a somewhat of a nervous look on her face while the latter was otherwise excited.

“The name’s Applejack here and this young-un’s name is sweet little Applebloom,” Applejack proudly introduced and ruffled Applebloom’s mane, causing the filly to bashfully look away from the two visitors.

Applejack then motioned for Twilight and Spike to take a seat at the table with the other representatives while she and Applebloom quickly ran into the farmhouse to attend to some important task.

As a mild silence overtook the table guests, Golden Harvest thought this would be the perfect time to advertise her business towards the Canterlottian guests, but drunk Berry Punch beat her to the punch.

“Heyya, fellas?” she said, her words slurred and her breath reeks of apple cider as she leans forward to them both. “I owns a pub and disssstillery thing up north, ssso swanna take a look at them laterrr…?”

Twilight quickly pulled Spike away from Berry and shot her a stern look. “I don’t think that’s a good idea, miss...?” she said, pausing as she waited for the inebriated Berry Punch to introduce herself.

Berry Punch gave a loud hiccup and swayed on her seat before introducing herself, “Berry Punch, Ponyville’s second greatest alcoholic!” she said, giving out a crooked grin as she leaned back on her chair. “The first is Applejack of course!”

“And I’m guessing that you meant your distillery right?” Twilight said with a raised eyebrow, trying to steer the conversation back to a more professional level. Berry Punch only nodded before slumping back onto the table, into drunken sleep.

Golden Harvest seeking to salvage the situation quickly chimed in, “OF COURSE SHE IS!” she exclaimed, her words a bit too loud before quickly clearing her throat and recomposing herself.

“I mean, of course! She’s just in her mojo right now, in the meantime my name is Carrot Top, but everyone around here calls me Golden Harvest, or call me Goldie for short.”

Twilight smiled briefly while Spike simply chuckled a bit at the slumped Berry Punch, “Geez, and I thought you were a heavy snorer Twi-” as he turned to see Twilight with a quite creepy smile staring back at him. Spike closed his mouth as he felt the tension and nerves built up, “Right shutting up for now.”

Twilight turned back to the representatives and quickly set her eyes upon a changeling sitting on her right, “What about you Mr…?”

Before the changeling could answer his own name, Golden Harvest quickly cut him off. “His name is Charlyx Cabbage, we call him Charlie though because he is a cute lil- changeling bug from the lands of the east right?” she said as she ruffled his mane, much to his displeasure.

Vietlingese words escaped from his from his mouth as Charlie closed his eyes in embarrassment. Golden Harvest then turned to Twilight with a grin on her face, “I own a carrot farm on the east of Ponyville, somewhere near Fluttershy’s house you know? It-s like a big-”

A voice suddenly bellowed from behind them, ”BRUNCH IS OPEN FOR EVERYPONY, AND BUG!” The ground shook as if a giant stampede was taking place.

As Twilight and Spike turned around, they were greeted by the sight of an entire family leaving the farmhouse. The ground shook beneath them as the family members, each carrying plates of food, bowls, and a pot of apple stew, made their way towards the picnic table.

Applejack quickly set down the food on the table and turned to Twilight with a friendly smile, “This here’s Apple Cinnamon, Dutch Apple, Apple Pie, Apple Fritters, Apple Crisp, Baked Apples, Apple Chip. Caramel Apple, and Apple Tart!” she said with a hint of pride.

Twilight looked over the dishes with a mild interest before resting her eyes on the family members, “Well they all look alright I guess, I’m guessing these are for the catering?” she asked Applejack.

“Eyup!” Applejack said excitedly, pointing towards the dishes, “We’ve got a pot of Apple Stew, a plateful of Apple Fritters, and-”

Twilight quickly cut her off before she could finish her full list of dishes. “Oh, I don’t think I need to know every dish, I just want to make sure the food’s ready.” she said with a nervous chuckle.

Applejack’s family, who were all gathered around the table, cheered and agreed with her statement. Golden Harvest, who was sitting nearby with her face resting on her hoof, simply nodded before looking back at the dozens of dishes laid out before her.

“Show off,” she murmured under her breath, but her words were lost in the chatter of the Apple family as they bustled around, making final preparations for the meal.

Spike’s mouth watered at the sight of the delicious and aromantic dishes, its scent already tantalising his taste buds at its max. “Well I guess we should be heading off for now, we have other work to check up on.” Twilight said suddenly as she stood up from the table, much to the shock of Spike and some of the Apple members.

“But...but why? They’ve got loads of delicious food here, Twilight!” Spike said frantically, his eyes fixated on the spread of food before him. Applebloom who was near looked at her with puppy dog eyes, as she began to understand that Twilight was leaving without having a single bite. “Aren’t ya gonna stay for brunch?”

“We don’t have time for this! Besides Spike, you already had a couple of apples before.” Twilight replied nonchalantly.

Applejack approached Twilight, her expression now visibly irritated, “But it’s tradition, to sit down and share a meal with those ya visit, especially the royal supervisor! And from the looks of it, Miss Sparkle, you haven’t had a bite yet? Your stomach’s all rumbling since you came in, your teeth ain’t look like they touched anything for a while and you smells as clean as a fresh mint!”

Are you kidding me? Is this country mare some of detective or something?

“I.. already ate a big breakfast, plus... I'm a Fauterian” she lied, her voice becoming louder to hide her jitters. She couldn’t help but feel like Applejack was getting on her nerves. But Spike wasn’t about to let it go.

“Since when? I ate everything on the way, and plus you're not even the slightest religious!” Applejack’s suspicion was now fully piqued, and Twilight could feel herself becoming more and more flustered.

Why do you have to say that Spike, not only this red neck family would insist even more on eating but they’ll make sure that I finish it all..

“Miss Sparkle,” Applejack started, her tone soft but stern, “We here at Sweet Apple Acres are all about hospitality, care and honesty. But Ah just don’t understand why ya would have to lie about something as simple as having a meal with all of us.”

Twilight was reaching her breaking point, her frustration and anger evident in her eyes as she locked gazes with Applejack. The country mare took a step back, taken aback by the intensity of Twilight’s glare.

“I don’t have time for this, miss.” Twilight spoke firmly, her voice growing louder with each word. “I have five more places to check and the main celebration starts in just seven hours. I can’t waste time here, no matter WHAT!” she said, her voice growing as almost as a shout.

“What’s growing all this racket ruckus!” a voice shouted out.

Everyone turned to old mare on her rocking chair, slowly waking up. She looked straight at Twilight and Applejack, fixing a stern gaze upon the two as she had one question in mind, “Why are y’all shouting in my home?”

Applejack stammered in her words before quickly coming up with an answer, “Thi- this mare over here is royal supervisor from the Canterlot, Granny Smith! We was just uh.. -” she began before being cut off abruptly by Twilight.

“Mrs. Smith, we were just discussing how Applejack is gonna let me go from this farm so I can work on some duties, am I right?” she said, smiling slightly towards Applejack who now realised that she is trying to take advantage of this situation.

Granny Smith’s eyes, lit up hearing Twilight’s position gave a large smile an old mare can give, “Well yee haw, I’d say that you gotta enjoy our delicious apples here!” she said with excitement.

Applejack shifted her weight and looked at Twilight with a knowing look. before turning her eyes Granny Smith’s. “Uh, yes ma’am! I'd say Miss Sparkle is mighty hungry after walking from Ponyville without eating one of our finest apples!” she said, turning to Twilight with a sneering smile.

Granny Smith slowly rose from her rocking chair, making her way towards the table full of food. “Well, ain’t no way a royal supervisor is gonna leave without tasting a bite of our Apple family’s finest food!” she said with a twinkle in her eye.

Twilight widened her eyes and quickly made an excuse, “Oh I can’t do that Mrs. Smith, we don’t have a lot of time.”

Granny Smith stopped in her tracks and turned to face Twilight, a stern look on her face. “Nonsense, yer here on official business, it’s only right that you enjoy a proper meal before ya leave. And besides, you look like you could use a good meal,” she said with a hint of warmth in her voice.

Twilight pondered hard then glancing towards Spike, who made his best attempt at mimicking a pitiful expression. Twilight sighed heavily, seeing that the best way to finish this fast and end her misery is to just go with the offer, “Fine..”

Applejack gave a light chuckle before being silenced by Twilight’s glare, “Remember Miss Sparkle, the Apple family always keep their guests full!” Applejack said with a bit of pride though a bit nervous at the glare, much to Twilight’s dismay and Spike’s cheer.

Kill me..