• Published 19th Nov 2022
  • 1,227 Views, 31 Comments

The New Moon Rises - Kit Wolfkat



Twilight Sparkle was tasked with supervising the Lunar Moon Celebration in Ponyville. However, with the arrival of Daybreaker, she must find the Elements of Harmony to use against her while also leading a group of acquaintances in the Everfree.

  • ...
1
 31
 1,227

Lesson 10: Tastes like Chocolate.

Lesson 10: Tastes like Chocolate.

The night was extremely dark, except for the flickering lights of Ponyville illuminating the streets. Most of the stalls were still open, their merchandise glistening in the lights. Some beings were on the main road, walking on the stone surface as most of them made their way towards the Town Hall for the Lunar Moon Celebrations, and Princess Luna’s arrival.

Twilight and Winters walked towards the direction of the Town Hall as they left the library, their hooves clicking against the stone path. Winters glanced at Twilight, her face contorted with a mix of calm and frustration.

“So, how’s the rest of the day for you?” he asked her, raising his brows.

“Stressful,” she replied, sighing as she did. “A nuisance on one hoof, a catastrophe on the other.”

She glanced at him with an annoyed look, “I expected at least some professionalism from the organisers and guess what, I only met one.” she emphasised.

“Ouch.”

“How about yours, you got your guys all set up?” she asked him back with an exhausted sigh as they continued walking.

Winter tensed up while looking at her, “Yeah, about that haha.” he replied as he laughed nervously. “Most of them may have decided to uh, quit a few hours after you left?”

“Winters…” Twilight gritted her teeth. She really didn’t want to hear another mishap just after finishing the last one on the list.

“Hey. I was as pissed as you were and besides, a couple of them decided to stay for the event at least.” he assured her. “Meanwhile, the guys who did quit said they were too underpaid. I gave them 100 Tacks for tonight, goodness sakes!”

“Can’t you just give them more, aren’t you rich enough?”

“And ask from my dad for another loan, not a chance.” he said defiantly.

“Of course, you couldn’t.” Twilight grumbled under her breath. Winters noticed this but didn’t say anything, instead he sighed and looked at her apologetically.

“Sorry, Twilight. But the guys who stayed, I think they can handle themselves better!” Winters reassured her, despite her worries.

Twilight rolled her eyes, “How many?” she asked him as she turned to him with a raised eyebrow.

“Uh, three guys?”

Twilight’s face turned from a mildly annoyed expression to a deadpanned one. She facehoofed herself in disbelief and stopped in her tracks as well as Winters. She grumbled to herself in silence.

Winters… you’re an old friend, and you’re still an idiot in all capacities of the stratosphere.

She shook her thoughts off from her mind, she only needed to meet with Mayor Mare, announce her completion of her work and leave. “You know what, let’s just keep going to the Town Hall.” Twilight said as she walked past Winters

Winters nodded, sensing that it was better to drop the topic. The two continued walking in silence, the only sounds were the clicking of their hooves against the pavement and the distant sounds of the Lunar Moon Celebrations.

As they walked, they were joined by a bunch of other residents of Ponyville, mares and stallions of varying races and classes. The sky was exempt from the clouds that used to cover the sunny skies of Ponyville and the streets glittered with dozens of night lights and Lunar Moon decorations as they paved the path to the Town Hall.

As they approached the Town Hall, Twilight and Winters gaped in surprise at decorations covering the building.

The Rank of Unity flags are hoisted up high in front of the Town Hall and dozens of colourful dark blue banners were hung on the windowsills of the structure, adorned with silver crescent moons and stars. Some of the observers around the building looked in awe at the beautiful decorations, seamlessly placed in beautiful stature.

“Holy crap! Di- did Rarity Belle do this?” Twilight said in utter shock and amazement. Winters simply gaped in silence at the Town Hall’s decorations.

After a few moments, he turned to Twilight with an excited tone. “I think she did, she called me earlier that evening saying that she has finished her best work.”

He looked at Twilight with a grin. “Looks like she wasn’t kidding!”

Twilight nodded before walking in front of the Town Hall and started to look around, much to his confusion. “What’re you doing?”

Twilight glanced at him for a moment, “Looking for Rarity of course, gotta thank her for doing her job.” she said as she went back to looking around the crowds of beings around the Town Hall. She watched as more and more wandered into and inside the Town Hall.

Maybe she’s inside?

“Hey I think I see her!” Winters shouted out to her. Twilight turned to where Winters’ was pointing his hoof and saw Rarity near the nearby window as she tied another banner up on the window. Twilight smiled as she walked towards the fashionista, with Winters following right behind her.

As they approached the unicorn, Rarity Belle tied a knot tightly on the window sill, gleaming at her work. “Now this is my Chef-d’œuvre! The most magnifique, outstanding decorations the world has ever seen and the princess will be so mesmerised at my work until she faints from the sheer beauty of the-”

“I highly doubt that Miss Belle.” Twilight said from behind.

Rarity turned around as Twilight and WInters stopped in their tracks in front of her. She smiled and gave a wave towards them, “Darlings! Miss Sparkle and Winters, how are you all doing on this auspicious night?”

“Hey Rares, I’m doing good.” Winters replied back as he waved his hoof, “This looks absolutely amazing!” he commented on the Town Hall decorations.

Rarity blushed and giggled at Winters’ comments, “Well darling, I AM a fashion designer! One of the finest at that, and now the princess will see this and will gawk and awe at this marvelousness!” Rarity said with a touch of self-bravado.

“Well uh, that’s all well and good Miss Belle!” Twilight said to Rarity. She pointed towards the balcony where the mayor’s office was situated. “But we actually came to inform Mayor Mare that I’ve checked with every organiser and will head off back to Canterlot later.”

Rarity nodded and pulled her mouth into a smile, “Well, you don’t need to worry about going in. Mayor Mare is right there!” Rarity pointed her hoof towards her right towards a mare wearing glasses as she was talking to an on field reporter in front of the town hall.


“And with this year’s celebration, I predict that when the princess arrives, the atmosphere will be nothing short of magical for this affair!” Mayor Mare said to Flavia Sorentus happily , who held a microphone while the camera operator focused the video camera on the mayor.

Flavia smiled and nodded, glancing at the camera. “And I presume that every part of the celebration, catering, music, and weather has already been done and prepared for?” she said, before returning to the mayor as she held the microphone towards her.

“Well of course! But the pleasure should go to-” Mayor Mare began but as she glanced at to her side, she saw Twilight walking towards her. Her smile gleamed under the street lights and quickly, she waved towards the unicorn. “Miss Sparkle!” she gasped in surprise.

Twilight initially waved at them before being unceremoniously dragged by the mayor into the camera view. “Now this mare, from her native Canterlot, Twilight Sparkle!” Mayor Mare said in proud jubilance. “Being the esteemed protege of our eternal Princess Luna, she has not only completed her already extra duty as the royal supervisor with great fervour but she has also courteously decided to become our town librarian! And such, we owe her our thanks to the great town of Ponyville!”

Twilight widened her eyes at hearing this sudden and quite frankly untrue statement. “Mayor Mare, I think there’s been uh-” she tried to explain but Flavia quickly turned to her with an expectant look. The camera slowly panned towards Twilight’s confused and anxious face.

Oh crap, it’s one of those thirty minute interviews where the interviewers are gonna blast me with questions. It’s better if just… end this as fast as possible.

Twilight took a deep breath burning to the mayor with a strained smile, “I’m sorry Mayor Mare, but I really don’t think I have the time for this.”

Flavia raised an eyebrow, “I understand you’re a very busy mare, and I say we must congratulate you for fulfilling your part of your duty for these outstanding celebrations!” she praised her, much to Twilight’s embarrassment.

“Oh uh, it’s fine I mean-”

Flavia interrupted her quickly, changing the subject. “In the meantime, being the protege of Princess Luna must be greatly challenging for you. In regards to that, how do you plan to use knowledge you gained, plans for having a seat in parliament perhaps?

Twilight’s eyes widened and she shifted uncomfortably and in frustration, feeling put on the spot. “Well, I don’t really care much for politics necessarily, and I don’t see any reason why you want to ask me this-”

“And what about your feelings career-wise? Are you planning to continue your work as the town librarian, or do you have aspirations for something else?” the live reporter asked again, this time shoving the microphone so close to Twilight’s mouth as if it were a popsicle.

Twilight’s eyes slowly turned into a glaring look, her patience wearing thin. “Hey look! I don’t want to answer any of your questions, I’ll be taking my leave.” she said haughtily as she grabbed the microphone and threw it on to the ground.

Mayor Mare’s eyes widened in surprise, “Wait, wha- what do you mean?” she asked Twilight, grinned nervously as she looked at her. “Because we had an agreement that you’ll work here for a few days and-”

Twilight sighed in annoyance and turned to the mayor with an frustrated look, “Look mayor, the princess will work on my resignation after celebrations okay? I’m sure you’ll be fairly compensated by the crown, but my patience has FULLY run out in this town.” she said with an angry finality in her voice, walking away from the three with a huff.

Flavia glanced at the mayor and at her partner before reaching down to pick up her microphone. She turned to the camera with a smiling and professional tone, “Well, what an energetic reaction from Miss Sparkle. As you can see, emotions are running high in preparation for this year’s celebrations.”

“We’ve seen an enormous turnout from regions all over the kingdom from upper northern industrial areas to the agricultural townships of the south.”

The camera zoomed in on Flavia Sorentus’ face, “And that’s all we have, in thirty minutes or so Princess Luna will arrive to give a speech and join the festivities.”

“May Faust watch you all and have a good night. Back to you Colter.” Flavia nodded in soft farewell before the red light on the camera slowly faded into a pale grey.


A few minutes later

As both Winters and Rarity Belle watched Twilight Sparkle leave them both to themselves, the unicorn turned to Winters with a smirk on her face.

Leslie Winters?”

Winters left out a groan, “For goodness sakes Rarity,” he said in an exasperated tone, “How did you even know about that?”

Rarity rolled her eyes and let out a giggle, “Well darling, let’s say a certain lavender unicorn may have spoiled it.” she replied, earning an annoyed sigh from him. She giggled again before looking around the environment around her, Twilight was still talking to the reporter somewhat while most beings outside have settled to enter the town hall.

She turned back to Winters, “So how’s your day, Winters?” she asked him.

Winters shrugged in nonchalance, “A bit of stuff and a bit of that, Apprentice had her blunders and most of my guys quit after earlier.” he replied. “Just hoping that with just three guys; Time Keeper, Caramel and Lucky Clover, we can still pull off the job.”

Rarity placed a hoof to her mouth with slight concern, “Oh dear, that sounds troubling..”

Winters simply shaked his head while looking at her, “It’s fine though, but what about you?”

Rarity threw her mane in the air in mock splendour, “Why I feel fantastic! Do you ever feel the honour of actually, actually getting endorsed by the princess herself to become the sole décorateur of the celebrations!” she said in excitement while Winters rolled his eyes at her.

“Yo, you two!” a voice called out to them in the midst of the surrounding festival sounds.

Both Winters and Rarity turned their heads towards the source. Among the crowd of beings a group of three stood out to them; two pegasi and an earth pony. Rarity’s eyes wavered for a moment as she saw who was leading the group, a familiar rainbow maned pegasus mare.

“O-o-oh! Rainbow Dash, well I didn’t expect you here, as well as Fluttershy and Applejack.” she said to them. “Anyways, how are you?”

Rainbow Dash scoffed, waving her hoof in mock disdain at the unicorn. “Pfft whatever,” Rainbow looked around her surroundings, her wings flaring slightly as she did. “So where’s Lavender Stick-Head?” she asked, her voice suddenly.

Winters and Rarity looked at each other in confusion.

Fluttershy quickly went to her friend’s left wing, trying to lower the wing to its resting state. “Dash please…” she said worriedly, trying to calm her down, “You don’t need to this, besides I-”

The brash pegasus turned her head towards Fluttershy, her face quickly contorting to one of anger. “Don’t need?! Flutters, that egghead screamed at you like you’re some sort of trash!” she said, still looking around.

Applejack snorted in frustration, “Gosh darnit, Rainbow. If Flutters says she ain’t doing it, then she ain’t doing it ya idiot,” she said to her. Rainbow shook her head in defiance, now floating herself just above head level to get a better view.

Applejack looked up at the pegasus and shook her head, “Rainbow, just let it go for now.” Applejack said as she sighed in frustration.

Winters tilted his head in confusion and turned to Rarity, raising his shoulders. Rarity simply shook her head in confusion as well, both of them don’t know what they’re talking about.

“I have no idea what you girls are talking about,” he said to them in a tone of confusion.

“OOH OOH OOH, maybe it was that cranky Twilight I threw a party for earlier and got thrown out because of it!” a voice said cheerily to his left ear.

“Oh, Twilight well uh I guess wait what-” he turned quickly to see Pinkie Pie floating on a balloon by the tail next to him, grinning gleefully. “Pinkie?”

Pinkie raised her hooves in celebratory cheer, “Happy Lunar Moon day! Not as catchy as the happy birthdays or the surprise parties or the cutie-mark quinceañera, BUT.” she pointed to the dark night sky. “It’s gonna be one of the greatest nights of THE YEAR!

“Uh.. Right.” Winters managed to say before being pushed away by the two toughest mares he met in his life.

“YEEE HAW! PINKIE PIE I’VE SHOULDA KNOWN YOUR GONNA BE ALL PRANCING AND HOOVERING THIS!” Applejack said in excitement, sprinting and hugging both sides of Pinkie Pie in a massive bear hug.

“MY PINKSTER, HOW ARE YA DOIN’ GIRL?” Rainbow Dash quickly flew down and landed on Pinkie’s back, rufflin her mane as she did.

Pinkie Pie grinned even louder, her smile widening as she hugged both her friends back. Both her hooves hug Applejack while her frizzy mane ties itself around Rainbow Dash’s body. She took a deep breath and let out the most joyous shout she could ever make.

GROUP HUG!

Rarity grinned lightly and hurriedly coupled her hooves around Pinkie’s body while Fluttershy meekly followed suit, her wings slowly enveloping between Rainbow’s wings and Rarity’s coat

Pinkie turned to Winters, who was veering off to the side in embarrassment.
She grinned and motioned with her hoof to come over, “Come on Winties, everybeing loves a group hug!”

Winters looked nervous as he shuffled his hooves. “I… don’t know Pinkie. Uh,”

But everyone in the hug, excluding Rainbow Dash, motioned Winters to come over. All with their respective pleadings and most noticeably, Pinkie Pie, who was trying her best puppy dog eyes. Winters looked at them nervously before shrugging and smiling, “Oh fuck it.” he mumbled to himself before hugging the group.

“See, group hugs always help to stop arguing and fighting!” Pinkie Pie said in a laugh.

Rainbow rolled her eyes, “Yeah, yeah. I’ll stop arguing, still gonna punch the ever shit outta of that bit-”

“What was that?” Pinkie asked, turning her head to look at Rainbow more clearly.

“Nothing!”

As they hugged each other in a large all-rounded group hug, some of the other beings in the street snickered while others simply looked in mild amazement. “Girls, I think I’m starting to suffocate from this really really strong hug!” Pinkie managed to croak up from the centre of the hug.

The others quickly broke the hug and stepped back, all laughing at Pinkie’s remark.

“Hey, what’s with all the laughter here?”

Everyone turned to the sound of the voice, a lavender unicorn staring at them with a confused look on her face before the face itself quickly was socked by an furious Rainbow Dash, much to the shock of the others.


Twilight fell to the ground while Rainbow stood on her chest, delivering one punch after another to her face, while Twilight conjured a shield spell to block the punches.

“BITCH, YOU FUCKING BITCH! IF YOU THINK YOU’RE CAN HURT MY BEST FRIEND JUST LIKE THAT YOU ARE SORELY 20 PERCENT FUCKED!” Rainbow shouted in between her punches.

The other quickly ran over to them with Fluttershy and Applejack pulling away the punching pegasus by the wings while Rarity and Winters brought Twilight to her legs as she stood up.

“What the tartarus is wrong with you Rainbow!” Winters yelled at her,“Her nose is bleeding for goodness sakes!” he continued as Twilight started to wipe her bleeding nose.

Rainbow glared at Winters, “What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with me!?!” she said as she pulled it away from Fluttershy and Applejack’s hooves. “I’ll tell ya what’s wrong with me, SHE yelled at Fluttershy!”

Winters and Rarity recoiled at Rainbow’s outburst while Twilight merely tried to wipe off the blood with her magic. She glared at Rainbow and spoke firmly to her, “Look miss, I have no idea what’s gotten into you but-”

Rainbow managed to break free from their grips before charging at Twilight with her wings. The unicorn managed to conjure up a larger shield spell, causing the pegasus to bounce off it and crash onto the ground.

“Gosh darnit’ Rainbow, your gonna give yourself a concussion.” Applejack scolded her. “And you know what, let me speak to her for now.” she said as she walked towards Twilight with a hurtful look.

“Now listen here, Miss Sparkle. Y’all hurt Fluttershy’s feelings back at the library,”

“What! I-” Twilight began, before Applejack’s hoof closed her mouth shut. Twilight shutted up, letting out a grunt.

Applejack frowned, “Now look here, I ain’t finished now Miss Sparkle. You, yelled at Fluttershy back at the library, ya hear? And now she’s crying-”

Fluttershy shyly raised her hoof up in embarrassment whilst her cheeks let out redness, “Uh… cried? Past tense?”

Applejack rolled her eyes before turning back to Twilight, “Right, cried..” she said. “Now I ain’t forcing you to apologise, but at least do the right thing~?” Applejack stressed the last part out loud, much to Twilight’s annoyance.

Twilight was still wiping her nose, as some blood dripped from it as if it were a leaking faucet. A lace white beautifully embroidered handkerchief slowly emerged in Rarity’s magic and gave it to the unicorn. Twilight turned and nodded, muttering a small thanks to her.

As she finished wiping the last of the blood, Winters came over and looked closely at his old friend’s face. His brows furrowed in nervousness as he noticed a large black outline around Twilight’s left eye.

“Uh, Twi? Black eye?” Winters motioned around his right eye as he looked at her.

Twilight let out a small groan as she felt the throbbing pain around her eye. She winced as she touched the area gently with her hoof, confirming Winters’ observation.

“Great,” she muttered, “just what I needed.”

Pinkie looked at the commotion between her friends with an idea, she’ll be right back! Rarity looked at Pinkie who scurried off quickly, then to Rainbow Dash and Twilight with an idea of her own.

“Darlings!” Rarity said to the group, “How about if Miss Sparkle apologises then have Rainbow Dash apologise to her?”

The two looked at each other for a moment, before Rainbow Dash sighed and nodded her head in agreement. “Fine, I guess I’m sorry for punching the ever loving crap out of ya.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, well her right eye at least. “I guess I’ll apologise as well,” she said in a slightly sarcastic tone. She turned to look at Fluttershy with a question in mind, “What about her?”

Rainbow turned to Fluttershy, confused before turning back to Twilight. “What do you mean?” she said, her eyes flashing with a mix of anger and confusion.

“Well, I had that rabbit jumping around on my mane like it was a trampoline and I would rather not have a creature like that on my head again.”

Twilight’s stinging comment made Fluttershy flinch in nervousness, “S-s-sorry, I already took care of Angel’s uh... Delinquency when I got home?” the timid pegasus said in a soft voice. “He’s uh, in a time out for the time being.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, “Yeah whatever,” she said dismissively, before continuing again. “As long as that disgusting rabbit doesn’t come anywhere near me, then I’ll be-”

“WHAT THE FUCK’S YOUR PROBLEM!” Rainbow shouted out to Twilight in a pure unbridled rage, quickly flying and tackling Twilight to the ground.

But before she had a chance to conjure up another shield spell nor Rainbow could land a punch, Mayor Mare pulled away the pegasus by the wings, with such force causing her to land on her back.Rainbow raised her head, her cloudy vision slowly coming face to face with an angry mayor.

“Uhhhhh, hey Mayor Mare?” Rainbow Dash said, trying to sound innocent as she rubbed the back of her head.

Mayor Mare gave Rainbow Dash a stern look before turning her attention to Twilight, who was struggling to get back on her hooves.

“Miss Sparkle, I think it would be best if you left the scene for the time being,” Mayor Mare said firmly. “I don’t think I can have this kind of behaviour in my town anymore.”

Twilight glared at Rainbow Dash as she got back up, her black eye already beginning to swell. “Fine,” she spat out, “It’s a good thing I’m leaving.” she said, walking away from the group.

Everyone looked at each other in shock. Winters, without thinking, quickly walked over to Twilight with a concerned look. “Hey, Twi! Calm down a bit, sure we can talk this out?”

Twilight turned to him with a mix of anger and hurt in her eyes. “Talk it out? You saw what she did to me! And you’re defending her?” she said, her voice raising in volume.

“Hey, I’m not defending her okay? I would’ve gladly settled her issue with you but-” Winters tried to explain but Twilight quickly shushed him off.

She let out an annoyed and frustrated grunt, “But you didn’t do damn anything about it didn’t you? Such a good you were!” she spat out.

“But I-”

“Can it! I’m sick and tired of this crazy town, the incompetent brash ones on the left, and the manic and idiotics on the right!” she yelled out loud, causing the nearby residents of Ponyville to cuss her in disgust though Twilight seemed to pay no mind to them.

I’M. ABSOLUTELY. FUCKING. TIRED. OF. THIS.

But before Twilight could walk back to the library and get Spike, somebeing cried out. “Look! It’s the princess’ carriage!”

Almost everybeing quieted down, including Rainbow Dash and Mayor Mare who were arguing with each other. The streets were silenced as the royal carriage slowly dropped down onto the stone street, rocks and pebbles scattering beneath its weight.

The crowd grew more silent as the thestral drivers in front quickly decoupled themselves and walked over the carriage door, opening the door. Princess Luna stepped out of the carriage with a regal presence, her dark blue mane flowing in the gentle breeze and her royal attire sparkling under the street lights.

“Good evening my fellow subjects,” she spoke, her voice carrying a soothing tone that seemed to calm the previously tense atmosphere. “I trust that all is well in Ponyville, Mayor Mare?” she turned to the mayor.

Mayor Mare grinned nervously and bowed her head, “Oh, oh! Definitely your highness, all’s well here in this town.”

Luna looked over to Rainbow Dash on the ground, “And you young pegasus, how are you?” she asked.

Rainbow got up, cleaning herself from the dirt and dust from the ground. “Your majesty,” she said. She took a look at the mayor’s panicked face before taking a deep breath,“I guess everything’s alright here.”

“Excellent!” she said with a slight indication of joy in her tone. “And of course, how could I forget my dear stu…” she trailed off as she looked at Twilight’s face.

“I’m fine, can we talk about this later Princess Luna?” Twilight replied quickly wanting to get out of the very public streets and into the building. “It’s a matter of importance for me, and I would not prefer to be anywhere near here right now.”

Luna raised an eyebrow, sensing the tension in the air. “Of course, Twilight Sparkle,” she said with a hint of concern in her voice. “We can discuss any issues you may have at a later time, follow me.”

“In the meantime, the official ceremony will begin in 30 minutes everybeing! For now, enjoy the various festivities prepared!” the princess said, before walking over to the town hall doors with Twilight following her.

“Aaaand I brought Making-Up Cupcakes! Colourful sprinkles, vanilla and strawberry cream and- wait why is everyone looking at the town hall door? OOOOH OOOH OOH, is it somebeing important?”

“Pinkie… can we just- screw it, give me a cupcake.” Winters said as he took one from the tray Pinkie brought and started munching on it. “Huh, it tastes like chocolate.”