• Published 20th Dec 2022
  • 906 Views, 21 Comments

HighFleet: The Journey for Salvation - ARandomLonelyDude



The campaign in Gerat has ended but the troubles of the fleet have just begun as an ancient message sends it on a path deep into the desert.

  • ...
2
 21
 906

Chapter 4: Preparing

The night was spent making preparations for the journey after the new ships had been added to the fleet. There would be no stops after leaving the city and no return either. Things were being rushed, however, as they had received a transmission from Khiva, stating that conditions were deteriorating all over the empire as nuclear winter started setting in.

They would have only one try and they would have to make it count.

The ships were repaired but some sacrifices had to be made. The Longbow had its runway dismantled and its plane removed to be used to repair the planes and runway of the Novorossiysk. Crew was somewhat stretched thin as there were barely enough people to man all the ships and so, combat ships were given priority over the fuel ships. Finally, the Skylark had been relieved of its sensors and had been used along with the Longbow to evacuate the civilians.

Captain Ali and Captain Agarwal had been reassigned to the Novorossiysk and the Navarin respectively. With the final preparations finished, a meeting was called.


Mark looked around. Sitting at the table were all the captains, General Pyotr, Admiral Daud and the doyen Vijay.

"About two hours ago, we received a transmission from Khiva stating that conditions were deteriorating faster than anticipated. Keeping this in mind, we will have to leave earlier than planned. What is the current status of the fleet?", Mark said.

The first to answer was Captain Alexei. "All the fuel ships have been refueled completely and we're good to go."

"The repair on the Novorossiysk has been almost completed but we're still facing issues, mostly with the planes needing extra repairs. We'll need to dismantle a LA-29 and a T-7 for parts for the repairs. Other than that, there are leftover runway parts which can be used to expand the runway to accommodate more planes at a time. With your permission, we can continue with the modifications.", Captain Ali said next.

Mark thought about it for a moment before saying, "You may continue with the modifications and the repairs. It is better to have more functional planes in the air than in the cargo."

"Other than that, we also found a dozen 1000Kg bombs in the hold, meaning that we can arm the Navarin, the Meteor and maybe even other smaller ships.", Captain Ali continued. This was a welcome surprise as the bombs could quickly neutralize almost any threat.

"The cruiser is good to go," Admiral Daud said, referring to the Nomad, "but there is still the issue of the Meteor, The Jaguar and the Hound not having captains. We don't have any officers that can take the role."

"Seeing that I will be joining you, I can take control of the Hound.", the doyen spoke.

"You may. With your leadership skills, I have no doubt that the ship will be in good hands." Mark replied, giving the doyen captaincy of the Hound.

"But there is still the other two ships."

"I suppose I can be the captain of the Jaguar temporarily.", General Pyotr spoke up. "I might not have much skills in piloting a ship but I can command effectively. For the Meteor, we'll have to see if we can find an officer who can take control but till then they might have to go without a captain."

It was not something that they liked but they would have to deal with it. With the final preparations complete, they headed out into the open desert. The empire depended on them.

Author's Note:

sorry for the short chapter

i am posting this because i just need to get something out