• Published 25th Dec 2011
  • 4,019 Views, 37 Comments

Most wonderful of nights - Bronyhood of steel



Luna X Big Macintosh

  • ...
2
 37
 4,019

Hearth's Warming Eve

.

Luna sighed as she stood on a balcony overlooking Canterlot; she watched the tiny specs of ponies headed towards the Hearth’s warming Eve play. She could have gone and watched the play it’s not like she didn’t want to, she just felt out of place. she thought to herself, as she saw friends and couples walk together “every friend I had is dead”. Luna could not feel anything except sadness at the moment, being imprisoned in the moon for a thousand years had taken its toll on her. Looking down upon the young couples she felt envious, she longed for someone to talk to.

Stretching out her wings, the princess of the night leaped off the balcony and took flight. She needed to get away from all the activity she thought, as her mood brightened up She lost count of how long or far she flew and soon found herself over the town of Ponyville, the town seemed empty since the town was chosen to perform the play at Canterlot.

Flapping her wings more, the dark Alicorn soon found herself over Sweet Apple Acres home of the Apple Family. As she gazed over the hundreds of apple trees a small light caught her eyes as she watched it move through the trees deciding to investigate, Luna flew towards it.

Big Macintosh shuddered as he walked through the rows of trees that lead to the house and barn with a sleigh in tow, normally every year on this night he would bring in some extra bits by giving sleigh rides through the park. The year though, with the majority of the town being in Canterlot, business was slow save for the few couples that he gave rides to. One of the couples commented on the scarf he wore, a thick red one with his cutie mark sewn into it, and had asked if a special mare made it for him. Not wanting to make the conversation awkward by telling them he made it he just said his usual catchphrase “eyup”. Though most would say that Big Macintosh was married to his job; however, that was far from it he wouldn’t mind finding a nice mare it was just none of the mares in Ponyville clicked with him so to speak whenever they went on dates he just found himself to be too different.

Pulling the sleigh into the barn, he stretched after unhooking himself from it. “Wonder how everyone is enjoying the play” he thought to himself, as he stored it away everything. Suddenly, the flutter of wings interrupted his thoughts as he heard the sound of some pony landing. Turning around he was struck with awe as he saw the goddess of night standing before him “Princess Luna” he said, bowing in front of her and wondering why she was here.

Luna stared at the large draft pony in front her, she had remembered him from Nightmare Night . “Hello Big Macintosh” she said, with nervousness in her voice as he bowed “oh you don’t have to do that and I’m sorry I didn’t mean to intrude”.

“No it’s ok Princess Luna” he said, as he began to rise “you’re always welcomed here in Ponyville so you’re welcomed here at Sweet Apple Acres”.

“Please call us Luna” she continued to stare at him he stood slightly taller than her almost to the height of Celestia with a red coat and orange mane.

“Alright Pri... I mean Luna” the large stallion pawed at the ground trying to continue the conversation “would you like to take a walk around the farm?”

she thought; as she started to blush after thinking of such a thought about him “I would love to”. Following him the two started to walk among the trees covered with snow.

Over ten minutes had passed as they walked among the trees without a single word between the two of them; finally, deciding to ask the obvious Big Macintosh cleared his throat “so Luna not to be rude or anything but why are you here isn’t there a play tonight in Canterlot?”

“Guess I had to answer sooner or later” she replied; her mood dropping as she remembered earlier feelings “I just feel out of place not just being a princess I mean everything I was gone for a thousand years all my friends are dead and I still feel like no one appreciates my nights”. The dark Alicorn found herself crying “I feel so alone” without warning she found herself wrapped in Macintosh embrace as he hugged her, she didn’t reject she found it comforting as she found herself hugging back.

Macintosh held her awhile until she stopped crying part of him felt weird hugging the princess but he was raised a Gentle colt and couldn’t let her cry without comforting her. As they sat there an idea popped into his head “Luna there’s something I want to show you” he whispered, as if he was telling her a secret. Taking her hoof Macintosh led Luna through the trees.

The pair walked for some time under the moonlight; eventually curiosity got the best of the princess, and she finally asked “Mac where are we goi….” The Night Princess found herself lost for words at the sight; in front of her was a frozen lake surrounded by snow, but the sight was the moon and the night sky being reflected on its surface it was as if an artist painted it.

“I discovered it a few years back and every Hearth’s Warming Eve I sneak out of the house and gaze upon it like a hidden treasure. Luna I may just be one pony but I’ve always enjoyed your nights.” As the Red Earth Pony looked at the Princess he saw her shiver, grabbing his scarf he wrapped it around her and nuzzled her neck “Happy Heart’s Warming Eve Now how about we go inside for some hot chocolate?”

Luna smiled at Mac’s words and nearly turned completely red as him when he wrapped his scarf around and nuzzled her. She wanted to object and say that she couldn’t accept it but she saw the look in his eyes that told her he wanted her to have it. “I’d love some hot chocolate” she said nervously; as she followed him towards the house a string of thoughts entered her head As they entered the house she found it comforting the way it just gave the feeling that a loving family lived here. Big Macintosh led her into the living room where he started a fire, gesturing for her to sit; Luna took a seat on the floor near the fire as Macintosh entered the kitchen.

The thoughts from still swam about in her head as she tried to reason herself with what she was feeling towards the Earth pony. No matter how hard she tried; however, her thoughts didn’t win the argument and soon Big Macintosh entered the living room with two mugs and sat beside her offering one.

They sat there for a while enjoying each other’s company; finally, Luna worked up the courage to ask what was one her mind. “Mac I have to ask why all of this? You didn’t have to do this, I glad you did, but still why?”

“Do you need a reason to show someone how you feel about them?” he asked smiling at her.

With that response Luna knew what she wanted to do despite all the thoughts screaming in her mind, the dark Alicorn leaned forward and kissed him. she thought to herself but that thought was shattered as he wrapped his hooves around her and pulled her close.

After what seemed like hours, when really just a few minutes, the two broke the kiss and stared into each other’s eyes “Happy Hearth’s Warming Eve” she said, snuggling close to him as he wrapped his arms around her; the two lay there all night in each other’s embrace.

Morning came and the two had to go their separate ways, each having to spend holiday with their family. “Will I see you again soon” Big Macintosh asked, as they stood there on his porch “Eyup’ she replied giggling; leaning forward she kissed him and teleported during mid-kiss.

Macintosh stood there smiling replaying the last several minutes in his mind; almost instantly AJ and Apple bloom arrived to the house with Granny Smith. “So Big Mac did you enjoy last night?” AJ asked him as they walked into the house.


Luna sighed happily as she lay in her bed with Macintosh’s scarf wrapped around her neck. “Hello Tia” she said as her Sister entered the room “So Lulu how was your night” she asked, indicating towards the scarf she was wearing.